[✓] [Misc Magic] Chi Rewrite

Kimika

if chi is being rewritten then monkeys need to be brought back. change my mind

nice write tho

Just now, TheBigBubbles said:

chi chi chi

ah yes, i too speak this language. Chi chi chi chi chi

2 hours ago, UmbreScye said:

I don't agree with letting Chi die off, it definitely needed improving but the cultural aspects is what makes Chi an interesting niche and magic to learn. Sun/Moon Chi was initially made as a bonus to the cultural aspect of Huajiao and successor to old Chi, the focus was for Chi to be an existing tangible energy to support its cultural concept from Hou-Zi Huajiao. If we're going all the way back to the first few iterations of Chi, it didn't change that it was for an Eastern Asian monk RP niche and it still retains that even now. As an old Hou-Zi player I don't see how this rewrite hinders the magical concept or even the RP concept, sure Chi could be greater but there isn't any reason or necessity for it right now, other magics could easily fill in the gaps that Chi briefly touches on. It fulfills its original purpose and exists for the RP niche it covers. In its current state as a single slot, this rewrite works fine since the niche it revolves around is a relatively small population.

A neutral magic such as chi shouldn't have any cultural thing tying it to a specific aesthetic. Your point about "other magics could easily fill the gaps that chi briefly touches on" directly contradicts your next statement, because someone could easily sit down and meditate with voidal magic (effectively rendering chi as something that isn't needed, and there isn't any necessity for). And any aesthetic/niche can be achieved WITHOUT magic. Chi is an outlier in all other magics because it specifically advocates for a specific culture/aesthetic. The essence of chi is a much more broad concept than any iterations of it are letting off.

Anyway, at the end of the day my opinion is just an ideal so if I haven't convinced you already, then arguing further in comments would be a waste of my rep ratio.

Fat Monk Da Fu like this

1 hour ago, Wizard of NOZ said:

A neutral magic such as chi shouldn't have any cultural thing tying it to a specific aesthetic. Your point about "other magics could easily fill the gaps that chi briefly touches on" directly contradicts your next statement, because someone could easily sit down and meditate with voidal magic (effectively rendering chi as something that isn't needed, and there isn't any necessity for). And any aesthetic/niche can be achieved WITHOUT magic. Chi is an outlier in all other magics because it specifically advocates for a specific culture/aesthetic. The essence of chi is a much more broad concept than any iterations of it are letting off.

Anyway, at the end of the day my opinion is just an ideal so if I haven't convinced you already, then arguing further in comments would be a waste of my rep ratio.

I understand your viewpoints man! we tried to make it less cultural by removing tennets and player disconnection. Hopefully we can allow more cultures and rp dictate how the magic works. Thanks for your imput brother!

33 minutes ago, Wizard of NOZ said:

-snip-

I'm talking more of the niche of Chi Manipulation fills, this iteration of the rewrite pays homage to the history and cultural origins, but is definitely not enforced in the rewrite. The idea of Chi itself is exotic compared to other magics on the server, which gives it appeal to anyone glancing at it, but conversely it's definitely not a necessary ability to enjoy the culture. Now with this writing, people have a choice to stick with culture or go rogue with their own ideas, which this writing asserts by not enforcing tenets or culture. It opens new ways for monks to explore 'life energy' on a grander scale unhindered by cultural restrictions, which is something I advocate for.

When I meant that an expansion isn't necessary right now, is a personal opinion since I'd be more focus on rebuilding our community. In fact, it's more interesting for a stronger version of Chi to be derived and created from RP from extensive study of 'life energy'. In regards to the other magics, it's easy for Chi to disappear and monks go to learn Water/Fire evocation or something similar. You could say the same about most magics and CA's. If others such as yourself want the idea of 'life energy' to evolve in a different way aside from Chi, by no means am I saying that you shouldn't, I think it'd be an interesting road to take especially if Chi fails. Magic at the end of the day is an aesthetic that improves upon pre-existing culture, roles, and RP, which this rewrite fulfills regardless of how potent the abilities are. In my opinion, what gives magic an appeal is when there is a niche type connected to it. 

Regardless if you respond, it's fine to disagree, and a discussion helps open up new ideas/thoughts. I enjoyed your criticisms and work in the previous iterations of Chi, so I look forward to seeing your written ideals of these concepts in the future!

1 hour ago, UmbreScye said:

I'm talking more of the niche of Chi Manipulation fills, this iteration of the rewrite pays homage to the history and cultural origins, but is definitely not enforced in the rewrite. The idea of Chi itself is exotic compared to other magics on the server, which gives it appeal to anyone glancing at it, but conversely it's definitely not a necessary ability to enjoy the culture. Now with this writing, people have a choice to stick with culture or go rogue with their own ideas, which this writing asserts by not enforcing tenets or culture. It opens new ways for monks to explore 'life energy' on a grander scale unhindered by cultural restrictions, which is something I advocate for.

When I meant that an expansion isn't necessary right now, is a personal opinion since I'd be more focus on rebuilding our community. In fact, it's more interesting for a stronger version of Chi to be derived and created from RP from extensive study of 'life energy'. In regards to the other magics, it's easy for Chi to disappear and monks go to learn Water/Fire evocation or something similar. You could say the same about most magics and CA's. If others such as yourself want the idea of 'life energy' to evolve in a different way aside from Chi, by no means am I saying that you shouldn't, I think it'd be an interesting road to take especially if Chi fails. Magic at the end of the day is an aesthetic that improves upon pre-existing culture, roles, and RP, which this rewrite fulfills regardless of how potent the abilities are. In my opinion, what gives magic an appeal is when there is a niche type connected to it. 

Regardless if you respond, it's fine to disagree, and a discussion helps open up new ideas/thoughts. I enjoyed your criticisms and work in the previous iterations of Chi, so I look forward to seeing your written ideals of these concepts in the future!

I get what you mean and it does make sense, I was just thinking of how chi could be something much grander and even fit into a cosmic scale with the 'deep lore'. It is hard to explain but if I do end up writing it myself it will be in at least a few months because I have some other projects going at the moment.

16 minutes ago, Wizard of NOZ said:

-snip-

I understand your ambitions and ideas, Chi as an expanded concept on a cosmic scale is really interesting in regards to asserting an important role in Magical World Lore. I look forward to your lore in the near future, at a glance it sounds like its going to be a big interesting project. I wish you luck on your idea and writing! :D

huge improvement over previous iterations of chi. A return to simpler roots with more interest than "I punch you harder, because my lore says so" and " 🦗 " from the huge moon chi playerbase 

If it can sustain more than 5 active players unlike chi for the last few years, i'll consider it successful. But a small write here, to start, that's so promising. 

Pieces which try to reinvent the wheel, or start off with massive, overbearing concepts and massive variety, are showing that they're highly unsuccessful in spreading and surviving- even with huge story assistance. It's unlikely they'll be passed in the future, given how we've seen the last few submissions like so not do very well whatsoever. 

On 4/29/2021 at 12:56 PM, Wizard of NOZ said:

I get what you mean and it does make sense, I was just thinking of how chi could be something much grander and even fit into a cosmic scale with the 'deep lore'. It is hard to explain but if I do end up writing it myself it will be in at least a few months because I have some other projects going at the moment.

i'm denying on-sight a chi write which tries to fit into the cosmic scale, please just don't do that 

41 minutes ago, SquakHawk said:

i'm denying on-sight a chi write which tries to fit into the cosmic scale, please just don't do that 

thats wack

A respectable rewrite from a respectable person! 

I vouch for this. I would be quite interested in how it could be used in RP!!!

As the writer of original chi. I stamp this. Good Job.

I would like a chi rewrite and this has some cool pictures in it ha ha