The Fervor for Crusades and War

Spoiler

The Fervor for Crusades and War

Written by Father Boniface

The Abbey of Saint Robert

04nz7nLsLlzI2rpoJvh6Zya3ydu7UFJbE_kAL1AKXszhNYnVx42I02ppYDK37szb0U-GNwxYxANeQcmX4k8qVqhMOUNRlOekvKyIRtpB9aN-eIYO5LtpDqj1hYfrxRjp1w

Sadness spreads across the canonist flock throughout the realm as news has quickly spread of the impending war that will inevitably envelope the entire realm at its peak. The realm plunged into a bloody mess with the unwonton massacres and innocent deaths that would occur due to frenzied hatred for one another. It comes as no surprise however, everybody knew what was coming and it has been coming for a long while. It is very unsettling that certain civilisations only ever prosper when they are at a state of war or are raiding others for perceived transgressions, alas such is the state of our realm. A united pagan army has set its sights upon the city of Providence and has begun making preparations for war, which if successful will mean the destruction of our Holy See and the butchering of thousands of innocent people. 

This united pagan invasion, they do not come to liberate, they do not come to free us from tyranny, they do not come to give us a better life, they do not come right wrongs - they come for one purpose, and that is to kill and destroy. They will try hard to justify their war to the point they may begin believing their own deception and justifications, but nothing justifies the butcher of innocents and setting thousands homeless, (if they manage to escape the brutal regimes). I am aware, noble flock, that this united pagan invasion worries some of you and angers others, but let us not forget the Lord’s teaching to love all no matter your differences, be they friend or foe. None of our noble flock should embrace death, chaos and war, nor should they ever find it fun. None should take pride in the killing of others, be they soldiers or citizens. If you fall into this state of a frenzied blood lust then you become like them, people whose civilisation only ever prospers fully when they are at war with somebody else.

I have heard several concerned canonists look to the church in hopes that a crusade would be called by his Holiness for the pagan armies transgressions, and whilst I do not speak for his Holiness, I will give my opinion on the calls for a crusade. Whilst the house of the Pontiff, the Holy See, is endanger or destruction, sacrilege and defilement, I choose to believe that the canonist flock to the north would not sit idly by and watch their own allies commit such egregious actions against the Holy Mother Church for I do believe the Kings love and obedience to scripture and to GOD outweighs any earthly alliances he has signed himself to. The church is wholly here to spread the word of GOD as written in the Holy Scrolls and to protect its followers from harm. A crusade at the current time is wholly unnecessary as we do not currently know of the rest of the realm's position on this conflict, including the canonist flocks to the north. The pagan army marches upon the canonist flock in Oren; we do not march to them nor have. Their claims that the church dispatched any raiders to pillage and kill innocent citizens in Norland is untrue and without merit. It is a lie wholly designed to stir disorder and disloyalty between King Heinrik and the Holy Canonist Church. Some would call me naive but I choose to believe that the leaders of Norland would not have included such if they did not believe it to be true - woe to those who spread such lies to incite unreciprocated hatred.

A crusade at this point would be fruitless for all soldiers directly tied to the church are already assigned to protect all church buildings including the Holy See inside Providence. I understand some wish to become aggressive to norlandic citizenry as a whole simply due to their pagan ways, but let us not forget the Lord’s message about love and mercy. We can not hate those who have lost themselves away from the path of righteousness and piety - we should pity them. The Lord does not command you to kill others who are different. Unlike some members of the Iron Accord, we do not place a tax on foreign missionaries nor do we prevent them entering religious buildings or studying in our libraries. If we become like them then we lose ourselves to wrath, rage and envy.

Keep your faith in GOD almighty, noble flock, for I am certain deliverance will come for us all; perhaps even in the most unexpected form. Do not lose yourself in the midst of war overcome with hate, rage and blood lust for then you become like them and abandon the Lord’s path. Show mercy to all, even your worst enemies. Harm not the citizen, harm not the men, women and children. Do not leave your home seeking a fight or to bloody your fists, do not boast about killing a pagan soldier. Only kill in self defence, if you go looking for a fight you will become lost and might never return back to the Lord’s path but are guided into the chaos riddled path of Iblees with the skulls or brutes and murderers littered around you; it is only a matter of time before yours would join them.

Edited by Basil Moroul

Joseph d'Azor signs the Lorraine cross as he reads the missive. "We must have faith in GOD, and through his divine guidance we will blow upon the nation of the ash tree and scatter its remains unto the wind. Those who stand in the way of our righteous defense against this unwarranted invasion, will learn GODs mercy one way or another..." Joseph smiles as he looks to the east and the battles to come. 

Garret Darkwood looks at sighs at the missive "They seek to destroy the pontiff yet still refuse to crusade, if the church refuses to act then I will, if I die in this war and my comrades die in this war, then it would have been not just in the name of the Emperor, but in the name of GOD himself, crusade or not. This war is a war on faith, shouldn't the church respond with force to defend the holy see, the holy mother church, and the faithful?" Garret Darkwood then laughs "It is a fools errand to believe Haense would ever lift a finger to defend the holy mother church. They serve at the whim of the same pagans trying to slaughter our children, they would rather fight against the church than ever dare defend Orenian lands. Their pettiness will be their downfall. But it shall not be ours. OREN AUT MORTEM, DEUS VULT" 

Valent's green eyes would go through the missive, as he then placed it onto the oak bench, he'd exclaim. "The destruction of the Holy See is dangerous to speak about - possibly the downfall of humanity itself. We shall not bow to invaders and their false religion, through our faith in Godan we shall defend what's ours, either with the assistance of the Church or not! For if Oren falls, so does the bastion of the Canonist faith!"