An Appeal to Humanity

Narthok

An Appeal to Humanity

I am a neutral party, I have no stake in the victory of either side of this war. I am not a citizen of Norland nor of Oren nor any other faction involved in the war. With that being said I do have a request for the various secular kings and lords who now find themselves orchestrating this conflict. Please, exercise some humanity as you consider my request.

In light of the recent Massacre of Elysium and the slaughter of the innocent women and children therein I feel it is necessary to solve a problem before it escalates into further barbarity. The wars of humanity’s past  have countless examples of genocide, of the wanton slaughter of civilian, of women, of children. If we truly live in a civilized age then I ask that the secular leaders of men conduct this war in a civilized fashion. The King of Haense has ensured the safety of the clergy and the sacred places of the canonist faith, I humbly petition the various secular lords and the various leaders of the canonist church to extend this protection to the unarmed civilians. Let this war not be another exercise in reckless barbarity, let humans conduct their wars as men not beasts. 

To this end I propose the following articles be considered by both sides of the war and hopefully signed into proper treaty regarding the rules of warfare.

Article I - Protections for the Innocent

Unarmed women and children who do not aggress are not to be assaulted or killed for the duration of the conflict, from the declaration of war to the signing of the peace treaty.

Article II - Protections for the Sacred

The faiths of each involved nation and their various agents are to be considered neutral parties administering to those suffering from the ails of war. They are to be unharmed and unharassed in their duties and their places of worship are to be left unscathed so long as they remain neutral in the conflict. This is a secular war over secular affairs, let it not devolve into another fruitless religious war.

With that said the neutral parties (Church, Hearth and Brathmodakin Clergy) are charged with the following duties for the duration of the war. 

-Complete and full neutrality for the duration of the war

-To bear no arms and no intelligence

-To tend to the sick, the wounded, the ill regardless of their allegiance

Let those of us who hold sacred office tend to souls rather than the secular machinations of kings and lords.

Article III - Jurisdiction of any Potential Treaty

Any participant in the war whether they be a lord or a soldier, a knight or a mercenary are to be beholden to any rules of warfare treaty. Those found in violation of the treaty by a neutral court (a court of faith witnessed by members of the faith of the opposed nation) are to be executed in the public square.

Article IV - Concerning the Treatment of Hostages and Prisoners

Signatories agree to refrain from inhumane tortures. Coercion is to take the form of beatings or lashings, scalpels, hot irons, and the various eastern methods of extracting finger nails or portions of the skin are to be disavowed by civilized nations. Execution is to take the form of either beheading or of by hanging, inhumane methods such as staking, quartering by horse, or imprisonment in a cauldron of boiling water are repulsive and have no place in a civilized conflict.

Article VI - Consequences

The signatories of any mutual rules of war treaty are to swear on their respective holy scriptures under threat of excommunication and subsequent eternal damnation.

Theoderic

A Kharajyr from Urguan chimes in: "The iron Accord already agreed to not raid instances of the Canonist Church for the sake of religion and respect and that those who serve the church are to be left alone" he simply informed.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:21 AM, chaosgamer_ said:

A Kharajyr from Urguan chimes in: "The iron Accord already agreed to not raid instances of the Canonist Church for the sake of religion and respect and that those who serve the church are to be left alone" he simply informed.

"I didn't see any guarantees about civilians or the red faith" Theoderic would respond.

There should be articles of war drafted signed by the great nations, but you are wrong to proclaim neutrality and proclaim a 'Massacre or Elysium' - fabricated tales. Imagine the good the Iron Accord could would wield if it were renamed and invited all the great nations to it, and all were held responsible to it's agreed articles. 

We should call it the Battle of Elysium until a through investigation can uncover the truths after the war. 

Until then, the losers are always likened to drum up their defeat as inhumane and the winners always likely to declare their victory glorified.

A more studious proposal would be also for the fair chronicles of the war effort by scholars of multiple nations, of which I'd be happy to conduct with you if interested. 

Please do write if interested. 

Minuvas

2 minutes ago, Minuvas said:

There should be articles of war drafted signed by the great nations, but you are wrong to proclaim neutrality and proclaim a 'Massacre or Elysium' - fabricated tales. Imagine the good the Iron Accord could would wield if it were renamed and invited all the great nations to it, and all were held responsible to it's agreed articles. 

We should call it the Battle of Elysium until a through investigation can uncover the truths after the war. 

Until then, the losers are always likened to drum up their defeat as inhumane and the winners always likely to declare their victory glorified.

A more studious proposal would be also for the fair chronicles of the war effort by scholars of multiple nations, of which I'd be happy to conduct with you if interested. 

Please do write if interested. 

Minuvas

Women and children who were unarmed were killed. That is a massacre. I am neutral because I am not a citizen in either faction nor do I intend to fight for either side. But, as a deeply religious man I do have an interest in seeing barbarity curtailed and good sense and civility promoted. My proposal is by no means exhaustive but I would like it to be considered by the various parties at play.

Cheers

Theoderic

"Norland has already adopted doctrine and law against the harming of civilians and clergy, and the well treatment of prisoners taken from war." Vane says handing out a copy of the Norlandic law "In fact, the penalty for harming a child in any way is death, unfortunately it seems that within oren, the penalty is a medal and increased pay."

Spoiler

Amendment III:dishonrable war conduct, its all the way at the bottom of the laws, last comment.