[✗] [Alchemy] Forget-Me-Shot

Forget-Me-Shot

(A preferred alternative to murder)
 Description:

A piss yellow liquid that reeks of sulfur, tasting unmistakably like strong alcohol. A full measure would just about fill the common shot glass. 

Some believe the drink was first conceived in a dimly lit Freeportian pub, for the purpose of helping runaway sailors forget the wives they’d abandoned for a life at sea. 

Recipe:

Distilled Alcohol (Base)
A pinch of brimstone
Reduction x2
Instability x3
Blindness x3
Silence x3

Effects:

When consumed in full, consumers of the Forget-Me-Shot will experience symptoms akin to mild alcohol poisoning within two narrative minutes, worsening until falling unconscious after five narrative minutes following consumption should the consumer not manually force themselves to regurgitate it (doing so would trigger a vomiting fit until all effects bar mild drunkenness are purged).

This unconscious period would cause users to mentally black out the events of the past narrative day, rendering them incapable of storing any memories leading up to the drink’s consumption. Further, imbibers of the concoction would be unwakeable from this alchemically induced slumber for thirty narrative minutes.

Further, if a consumer had manually opted to concentrate on a particular memory or topic, they could also erase said memories from their mind atop the aforementioned recent events, regardless of how long term.

These memories are burnt away permanently, beyond attempts of magical or alchemic restoration.

Redlines:

-Due to the Forget-Me-Shot’s potent odor, it would be nigh impossible to mask in food or drink as a common poison; any recipe spiked with the potion would take on a rancid sulfuric smell. Further, the alcoholic taste cannot be dampened and will remain detectable amongst even the strongest flavours.
-The Forget-Me-Shot would have to be swallowed in full for it’s desired effects, meaning it could not be weaponized by any means other than force feeding. 
-Whilst forgetting the past narrative day (akin to memories following monk revival) is non-negotiable for consumers of the potion, those looking to forget long term events and topics by having their character concentrate on them before slipping unconscious must OOCly consent to doing so. In this regard a player’s character could not be made to forget the past year of their life unless they expressly chose to do so. 
-Being left in the hands of player choice, then, the extent of what can and can’t be forgotten by a character (with OOC consent) is undefined, in the same vein that a player could simply opt to RP ‘amnesia’ as an explanation for that sort of change in character without needing the potion.
-THIS POTION CAN NOT BE USED IN RELATION TO FTB PLEASE GOD

-This recipe is classified as 'Rare' and must be taught IC. 

-T3

This removes character development, especially if you can just remove someone's entire day without them consenting to it - AND the memories are gone permanently. Not to mention it is a 5 emote knock out.. This is not an 'alternative to murder' as when you die you only forget the circumstances leading to your death, not the entire day.

If this is going to exist it needs to be more expensive to make, these materials are too easy to acquire.

9 minutes ago, JustGrim said:

This removes character development, especially if you can just remove someone's entire day without them consenting to it - AND the memories are gone permanently. Not to mention it is a 5 emote knock out.. 

If this is going to exist it needs to be more expensive to make, these materials are too easy to acquire.

I'd agree with you if I couldn't far more easily just shoot someone with a crossbow/ call PVP and have them die and very directly remove the character development. 

What this provides is an alternative to murderhobo RP for those seeking to do villainy, along with a means for characters to self-inflict memory loss on themselves (for instance to forget trauma) and spin a narrative of mystery and investigation thereafter should their unaware character then try to undo the amnesia caused.

Waking up with amnesia, beaten and bruised or left with some sort of injury is infinitely superior to having people die, choose not to PK and wake up at cloud temple without a scratch on them and no memory of the RP they'd been involved in, whilst also being OOCly forced not to pursue any sort of 'mystery' surrounding how they wound up in that situation thanks to (necessary) death rules.

Further I feel the speed of the knock out is somewhat irrelevant, given someone would have to sit still and drink a shot that looks, smells and tastes excessively suspicious (or be held still and force fed it) - even then being able to be regurgitated and have its effects nullified - which is ultimately far far more difficult than simply punching someone in the face to knock them out, or again lethally attacking them to kill them outright.

4 minutes ago, The King Of The Moon said:

I'd agree with you if I couldn't far more easily just shoot someone with a crossbow/ call PVP and have them die and very directly remove the character development. 

What this provides is an alternative to murderhobo RP for those seeking to do villainy. Waking up with amnesia, beaten and bruised or left with some sort of injury is infinitely superior to having people die, choose not to PK and wake up at cloud temple without a scratch on them and no memory of the RP they'd been involved in, whilst also being OOCly forced not to pursue any sort of 'mystery' surrounding how they wound up in that situation thanks to (necessary) death rules.

Further I feel the speed of the knock out is somewhat irrelevant, given someone would have to sit still and drink a shot that looks, smells and tastes excessively suspicious (or be held still and force fed it) - even then being able to be regurgitated and have its effects nullified - which is ultimately far far more difficult than simply punching someone in the face to knock them out, or again lethally attacking them to kill them outright.

I can see where you come from with this - though my biggest issue is that there is no possible way to recover these memories. It would interesting for rp if there was a way, maybe a shot that does the reverse through alchemical means - to me it seems like the same issue we have with necromancer draining where this can remove the need for spooks to wear masks and hide just because they can shoot away someone's memory.

Don't get me wrong. I like the lore and I think it is well written overall - I just have personal issues with the whole memory removal **** with no way to gain them back. You are an excellent lore writer so don't take this as me trying to **** on your idea.

Just now, JustGrim said:

I can see where you come from with this - though my biggest issue is that there is no possible way to recover these memories. It would interesting for rp if there was a way, maybe a shot that does the reverse through alchemical means - to me it seems like the same issue we have with necromancer draining where this can remove the need for spooks to wear masks and hide just because they can shoot away someone's memory.

I like the current effects of the shot, though I think it would be interesting if there was at least some mild way to have glimpses of what happened before/during the consumption of the shot.  I don't think a potion to reverse the effects of this one really makes logical sense, and could easily just make this potion entirely useless.

Perhaps over the narrative months, the player can roll out of like, 100 or w/e to see if they get faint flash backs of what occurred - depending on how traumatizing it could have been?  Something like how Amnesia: The Dark Descent had it, where Daniel occasionally remembered brief memories of his former self while going through Brennenburg.

Then again, you just know someone's going to try and cheese that to meta game what happened

Just now, UnBaed said:

I like the current effects of the shot, though I think it would be interesting if there was at least some mild way to have glimpses of what happened before/during the consumption of the shot.  I don't think a potion to reverse the effects of this one really makes logical sense, and could easily just make this potion entirely useless.

Perhaps over the narrative months, the player can roll out of like, 100 or w/e to see if they get faint flash backs of what occurred - depending on how traumatizing it could have been?  Something like how Amnesia: The Dark Descent had it, where Daniel occasionally remembered brief memories of his former self while going through Brennenburg.

Then again, you just know someone's going to try and cheese that to meta game what happened

I like your idea better than mine, I agree that there should be a way to regain memory slowly or have the possibility of it to add some risk to using the potions since it is so cheap to make. The idea of rolling over a narrative month would be cool - but as you mentioned metagaming always occurs so it's hard to pull off.

15 minutes ago, JustGrim said:

I like your idea better than mine, I agree that there should be a way to regain memory slowly or have the possibility of it to add some risk to using the potions since it is so cheap to make. The idea of rolling over a narrative month would be cool - but as you mentioned metagaming always occurs so it's hard to pull off.

17 minutes ago, UnBaed said:

As for the recipe being simple, and the concern about memory restoration, I suppose it's a difference of opinion but from my perspective this potion would exist - and be made - solely out of courtesy for other people's roleplay. What I mean by that is any effort put into gathering ingredients and administering this potion will ultimately be far more work than it would be to simply kill someone, something that's done far too often without any real regard for IC morality or OOC weight (a big part of the reason so few people PK characters).

Memories cannot be restored after monk revival for a good reason: there's plenty of unsavoury people would go out of their way to do so and effectively metagame their way into a situation where they can get revenge, largely out of spite. In the situation this lore presents, even if a certain magic or recipe were required to reclaim memories certain players would OOCly arrange for their characters to 'happen' upon these means simply for a desire to ruin the RP of the person that originally administered the Forget-Me-Shot to them, who by rights could've just saved themselves the trouble and killed the character in question.

Leaving the memories permanently lost instead forces people to rely on RP with others - seeking out potential witnesses, alerting authorities, launching an investigation and potentially even giving a character a new purpose in solving said mystery - that would be completely negated by having the potion's effects reversible. 

1 minute ago, The King Of The Moon said:

Even if there is no way of retrieving memories, I still think this potion to be interesting and a better alternative for someone to use rather than killing someone.  I dislike killing other people in RP, since I feel like it can really halt a story and prevent character development and interactions from occurring; I really like to keep it as a last resort.

I can see this potion being useful in preventing cheap deaths, and leading into more investigation-type RP.  Love me some amnesiacs

1 hour ago, The King Of The Moon said:

Redlines:

-T5

My only question, is what you mean by -T5? (As far as I am aware, T3 is the max level of an alchemist.)

Also, as long as OC consent is required I think there is no problem with this.

Only a tier five alchemist can create this potion.

What lore says that alchemist can be T5?

(In this lore, it says Tier Three is the max.)

Only a tier five alchemist can create this potion.

Mordu, alchemy only goes up to T3?

5 minutes ago, Sri said:

What lore says that alchemist can be T5?

(In this lore, it says Tier Three is the max.)

5 minutes ago, altiar1011 said:

Mordu, alchemy only goes up to T3?

Oh yeah the guy who wrote that was real stupid. What a moron.

I'll fix it now lmao, thank you

mordu what the **** you wrote a roofie