When The Flood Dries Up

Juno.

"H-He.. We were together, but your haelun disowned him for it.. And then I ended it so she wouldn't kill him."

"He killed himself, Veren."

Everything came to a halting stop as those words left her cousin's lips, who might've even been her sister-in-law one day. Her feet refused to move, and she was unable to open her mouth as golden eyes gaped at the table ahead of her. The Asul'onn House that usually felt warm and inviting instantly grew cold and dark. Ringing assaulted Verendus' ears and a screen flew over her eyes; she was barely able to feel the arms that wrapped around her, and the words next spoken to her.

"I-I'm so sorry, Veren.."

Everything was crashing around her as it started to sink in, memories of her childhood with her older brother filling her mind's eye. The scarf he had given her weighed heavily around her waist now, and the lunarite knuckles in her pack seemed to be searing through the fabric into her back; she was now painfully aware of everything she currently carried that he had given her, all the items and lessons. She remembered crushing bugs with him outside the Haense palace, learning how to steal right out of peoples' pockets. When she wasn't with her parents, she was with Amthalion, happily following him around and hanging on him every chance she could. Where did it all go wrong?

"Where is he."

The half-elf finally spoke up. It couldn't be true, she would have to see for her own eyes. Maybe this is some trick, there's no way her older brother was dead. Not the smart, strong Amthalion that she knew. The one that was always protecting her and holding her hand. She was directed to the mantle, where atop lay an ornate urn, the name Amthalion scribed on the top. A shaky gasp escaped her now trembling lips. This was real.

"He loved you very much."

Then why did he leave me. Verendus ground her teeth to keep herself from saying the words out loud, her body beginning to violently shake as the anger set in. She was enraged; at her mother, at her brother, and at herself. Why did I leave? Why did I go off hunting for all those years? This is my fault. If I had stayed, if I had been here..

"Do.. Do you want some of the ashes?"

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small corked bottle on a chain, something she had been saving to fill with the blood of her greatest hunt, whatever and whenever that may be. She wanted to be able to carry the pride of that kill with her always, but now she would much rather carry her brother. The woman silently handed the necklace to Revas, her mass of curls hiding her face. Her cousin filled the bottle and handed it back to Verendus, who promptly placed it around her neck. Her rough and scared hand took the bottle in her hold, looking it over with a faraway gaze. Big brother. 

The next events and words said went by in a blur. The half-elf was given a pair of knuckles, an odd feeling and haze oozing from them, and a pair of eyeballs floating in bath of salt water. Another pair of knuckles to go with the one's her brother had crafted for her as a child, and his own golden eyes; the same eyes she had. Staring into them was almost comforting, almost.

"You can stay in his room.."

She was slowly led to the bedroom that used to be her brother's and she was then left alone. 

I'm...alone.

Her pack fell to the ground and Verendus soon followed, fists pounding against the ground and gut retching sobs escaping her chapped lips. She hadn't cried since she was a child, it had been at least two decades. Maybe that's why so many tears poured out of her, definitely years worth as the carpet underneath became soaked in them. She sobbed until her eyes were swollen shut, pounded the ground until her fists were red, and screamed until her voice gave out. And then there was nothing left of her.

Verendus Verrana Elyra crawled into Amthalion Wick's old bed and soon passed out atop it, falling into an empty, dreamless sleep. 

Spoiler

@BobBox I hate you <3