Let Fly the Standard

Narthok

Let Fly the Standard

Theoderic ascended the hill, his stride belying barely restrained anger. Rather than his typical cloth tunic he was clad fully in ornate plate armour painted black and gilded with gold. In his clenched fist, he bore the standard of Morsgrad. Planting it firmly in the soil he would turn to look upon those gathered before him.

“My name is Theoderic Edvardsson Ruric, Grandson of Godric Ruric, son of Edvard II, son of  Exander, son of Arthas, son of Sval, son of Beowulf, son of Edvard Thorsson, son of the first prophet Thoromir. As proof of my lineage, I bear the flamebrand and the blessed boots of my Grandfather. There are none who can dispute my membership in the holy bloodline.

Today I stand before you with a sorrow-laden heart. The wheel of history turns once again, those consumed with vainglory, with dark-spawned vice, once again grasp the Red Throne and the Thorned crown in their sinful talons. 

Worst yet, a false dynasty squats upon a throne reserved for far nobler blood. You ask why our nation has been met with such woe? What reason can it be other than the fact that we have lost divine favour? Our nation, the body of the faithful is helmed by those without the sanction of the divine. Without faith in the light.

Let us speak honestly. The war is lost. We must have peace lest the common people be put to the sword and flame for crimes they did not commit. 

The usurper drives our people headlong to their deaths. What does he care for the suffering of the common man? What does he care for those who die for his war of pride and ego? It is clear to any with eyes to see that this war is untenable. The usurper’s incompetence has alienated allies, vassals, even the clergy. 

There comes a time in every man’s life when he is obliged to take action whether he wishes to or not. Before this madness, I had contented myself with a life of prayer and religious reflection. Yet a tyrant squats upon the Red Throne. Consumed with pride and greed he refuses to acknowledge his failings. He refuses to pursue peace. 

It is the divine duty of the Rurikid to protect the body of the faith. Wherever children of the All-Father dwell, that shall be Norland. The Kingdom is the Faithful, and the Faithful are the Kingdom. 

How can I stand before my forebears if I am unwilling to do my duty?

It is clear that the only path to peace is with the sword. If the Nordish people are to be saved from the insanity of the Tyrant then he must be cast from the throne he infests. Such is the will of the Father, and thus, such is my duty. Today I raise the war standard of my forebears. Let all those loyal to Norland, to the Ruric, to the memory of Godric take up arms in the pursuit of light and justice. We must prevent further senseless slaughter."

His words given he would descend towards the collection of tents, his eyes sad yet hardened for the coming duties that lay before him. With a wave of his hand couriers astride the finest horses would fly from the camp, bearing missives to the ancient allies and friends of the Rurikid. 

Caspian d'Arkent smiled as he read over the missive. "This Theoderic is a man I could get behind.. why isn't he on the throne?"  He asked, looking over his shoulder before realizing that he wasn't alone. "Oh-"

"Meh family's nae bled in teh mud fer King Sven fer nothin'...if someone's goin' teh overthrow 'em, it'll be by ah man nae backed by teh Enemeh. Oi'll fight this pretender teh the bitter end!" Chieftain Hali Kvitravn declared upon reading the missive, soon throwing it into the fire. He'd then give the order for his Clan bannermen to prepare their arms in defense of King Sven.

4 hours ago, Shmeepicus said:

Caspian d'Arkent smiled as he read over the missive. "This Theoderic is a man I could get behind.. why isn't he on the throne?"  He asked, looking over his shoulder before realizing that he wasn't alone. "Oh-"

Aobh would finally find Caspian, herself wielding an old crutch. "You stupid oem'ii." She'd huff, whacking him over the head repeatedly with the object. Once satisifed he had been thoroughly bonked about she would add "But ti, you're right on the Norlandic throne comments." With that, she'd depart once more. 

"The Ruric lineage is well documented. Neither Theoderic or his father exist within it."

"So who is the true pretender? The man who makes baseless claims, or the man whose claim is well recorded?"

Edric muses this, as he pisses off the wall of Elysium.

Edited by Sham404