Nobody Cares About You

Synasthima

Don't worry random anon... I care about you

also I am the antagonistic Elder Dragon please do not meta

I am literally the main protag what are you talking about?

Narthok is the main antag....

Fantastic post, there's alot more benefit to the collective story that this server offers than the one person protagonist run.

Your story matters to those that interact with you and the characters you impact with your characters. There are chances for impactful characters, but they must be truly leaders and "heroes" that are earned through gradual RP and progression. It's something that's very hard to explain to people who are on this server, but you've captured the first step to embracing this server. Everyone matters equally, no-one is special and that's the beauty of this multi-threaded narrative experience.

Appreciate the kind words, man. There's a strange beauty on Lord of the Craft that's hard to capture with words. Most games feel like a product that's made to be experienced. LotC, on the other hand, is fundamentally chaotic - you are one person in a sea of thousands over a decade. But once you've gotten over the fact that you're not the destined protagonist, you discover something that far surpasses a programmed plot. You poke the world of Lord of the Craft and it pokes back. You're a nobody in the beginning, but time allows you to truly interact with the world in a way that no game allows. And sooner or later, you might find your name written in the history books.

People aren't used to this kind of freedom. They aren't used to being able to create an incredibly detailed character only to fully interact with other characters - to live through the world others have made, and to create adventures of their own. We're a tiny corner of the roleplay niche, but it's hard to find what we have elsewhere.

Very based take. 

Much approval. 

Really interesting post and take tbh. Glad you decided to write this.

dont care gonna become main protag anyway 😎

awesome take @Synasthima, hope more people take a read of this

Mediocrity is our salt and failure is our bread—together they form the crown jewels of LotC.

That laidback attitude is what really unlocks LotC. The courage to play an illiterate peasant, a carefree halfling, or some otherwise average lad. Defeat isn't an option in triple-A titles and RPGs. We grow accustomed to living in the centre of it all without realizing what we lose in the process—the luxury of a real, dynamic story.

It's funny how the desire to be in the limelight really is just a shackle. Sometimes it's nice to just enjoy the ride. When you realize it's not all about you and when you allow the story to flow around you—you can cherish the many "Elder Dragons" hidden everywhere in common roleplay.

Love the post. You've already got 5 years wisdom for a week worth of play…something tells me this may not be your first RP-rodeo. Maybe you're new here but you did capture the essence of why we play LotC. Cheers! :)

also haha @Treshure your vid got a shoutout 😁

I really love this post and the take, but I want to put forth another perspective that I’ve seen while working with now players, and just playing myself.

There are main characters in certain areas, you just don’t start out as a “main character” in some big group, you earn it through dedication both IRP and OOC. The people who tend to be in the forefront of events and RP taking place are usually people who have dedicated years to the server and earned the trust of people to reach that position. And even with these people being “in the forefront”, not all the RP revolves around them. Let’s say for example, you play a human maid in the Augustine Palace(“royal” palace of Oren, one of the biggest nations). You might not feel like the main character because the people playing Princes and Princesses are getting more attention, but that attention is earned, and you are still getting RP as well, you just aren’t the center of the RP.

Not everyone needs to be the “main character” or antagonist, and most new players learn that after a few months. A lot of times being the person who isn’t noticed in a room can actually provide a much more interesting outlook on RP and lead to amazing chances for development. 

wdym im not lotcs collective protagonist and everyone has to rp around me and the way i want?!?!?!?! outrageous!!!

3 minutes ago, Fie said:

wdym im not lotcs collective protagonist and everyone has to rp around me and the way i want?!?!?!?! outrageous!!!

Yeah sorry pal its me, cheers