Your View: Necromancy, Undead, and Everything In-Between

Sorcerio

14 hours ago, JustGrim said:

I am simply amazed and awestruck that you can take something so simple and make it out like I'm trying to insult the entire community. I never said a Goon can not be good at rp as many are if you ACTUALLY read what I said - I said " and being realistic there are not many goons that come to mind that are good at PvP and RP and want to play an undead". Please tell me Mr Fate, have you met someone who says "Wow I really want to play an undead!" and wants to play someone's servant who can barely do anything besides when the Necromancer calls for them. It is simply not very fun especially when people metagame constantly on undead players as the tells are very obvious. I have asked many of the people I know who are goons and very good rpers if they want to be undead, very few even show interest as it is not the NICHE they are interested in.

I never once said we refuse to teach someone as I give everyone a chance who wants it unless they give me a reason not to. If anyone DARES to try and dictate rp it is you with mixing words to fit your own narrativize. Very few of us care if someone splits of and starts their own coven - LET THEM.

Don't mix my words and don't put words into my mouth without actually reading what I said.

Again, as i said earlier, it's just who you approach and how open minded you are. Theres also the possibility that pvp goons and 'the likes' don't want to specifically play your undead servant, yet again as drfate says:

14 hours ago, drfate786 said:

The wider necro community has always hoarded the magic and refused to let anyone outside their friend groups interact with it.

I doubt the 'wider necro community' would even consider remotely teaching someone who could achieve this because they aren't in the epic cliques.

13 hours ago, drfate786 said:

Wow I really want to play an undead!" and wants to play someone's servant who can barely do anything besides when the Necromancer calls for them. It is simply not very fun especially when people metagame constantly on undead players as the tells are very obvious. I have asked many of the people I know who are goons and very good rpers if they want to be undead, very few even show interest as it is not the NICHE they are interested in.

Refer to the first point i made. It is not the fact that they are not interested it is moreso the fact you made that they will practically  not  progress through the magic because they fear a 'schism' in the community again where all the goons probably f*** off to make a better and more interactive group.

1. Don't make it require bodies for most spells, morerather use body parts and the like. It's more creative for both players if rather than just having to lolmurder 3 randoms the person has to:
"The hand a close one, the eye of the stranger and a ring for a love lost" - Person has to get the hand of someone they once knew, an eye of someone they have never met and a ring, either made for the ritual or one that they own. This spell could be used to transform one person into an undead creature.

Something like this makes it more creative, previous iterations of necro lore require just goon-killing people for bodies and it made roleplay fun exclusive to one person, there is no furthering or development for the other player. This would change that

2. Keeping the lore dark enough to maintain a thorough aesthetic, but not so far into a grimdark that it a) doesn't fit into the majority of the community and b) that a player can pick up the magic via reading the lore and doesn't need some player telling them secretive information as to avoid cliques forming and stopping the general player from becoming involved:

The server would openly reject lore that's extremely edgy and it would cause a disconnect, especially if the themes of the lore pushed against general server lore (e.g. world ending monsters n stuff in a server where it's not relevant rn). Keeping the lore relevant to the majority of the community keeps it interesting, keeps it relevant and keeps it active.

Keep it dark but not so dark it is just for 3 people to enjoy because they like that rp, have dark thematics but not so gorey and evil grr that it is polarised towards an area. Necro covens shouldn't be too necessary either really, it'll be useful to team up but not vital for the enjoyment of the lore, the local graveyard keeper gone necromancer should still be as enjoyable as the dark cult of (insert dark patrons here)

p.s. stop giving it into the hands of players who are so narcissistic and ignorant could be a good start, have a full clean of shop and refresh it into something new, new map new corpses innit

So i've read through all the posts thus far, and ive come to one conclusion:

We Need To Accept That To Have A Good Villain Means A Loss Of Control

Looking through the rules, and these posts, has really pointed this out to me, our rules and systems emphasize that you need permission of your victim to do anything beyond the completely superficial and meaningless, but as people have pointed out who is going to take that risk? sure if your lucky you might find someone willing and maybe you'll find a PRO willing to let you do something major, but it just doesn't happen, it doesn't matter how many times you shelf, rework, unshelf, remix, redo whatever villainy rp stuff there is because you won't let villains do their damn jobs in the first place.

all i'm saying is, fix this systemic, fundamental problem before you start asking for ideas, stop treating symptoms while the disease ravages our server.

The hands-down coolest encounters I've written on this server were with the necromancers in the swamp in Athera. I think people with more experience with the actual lore have good points but my two cents are that I'd love to see more dark magic roleplay.

some of my fondest memories were collabing w/ dark magic rpers with wlands (i know this is all i talk about its my pride and joy.

created rp for the both of us, and neither party had the collective attitude of wiping out the other. at least i hope they knew that from our end. thank you again @Angmarzku & every other undead rper i worked with a couple years back  hope you're well

skimmed this thread as i am lazy, necromancy and undead are my favorite antag / conflict because its very clear cut and always has room for improvisation. it shouldn't be convoluted and if done correctly, can create a real sense of dread. @UnBaedsummed it up best: bumping into rando morghuuls or ghouls on the roads was awesome, ive never had a terrible experience with them and more often than not i've had to think outside of the box to defeat (or better, survive) something like that.

everything magic and fantasy related on LoTC seems so complicated nowadays, tropes exist for a reason and going back to the basics is something welcome, at least for me

Regarding Undead- I'd love to see some more undead events. That one event around the swamp in the middle of Arcas- just off CT was probably one of my favourites I'd attended since joining and I would love to see more mindless zombie-esque creatures roaming around in eventlines.. like in the crypts that lay near Krugmar!

On 6/1/2021 at 4:31 PM, DrakeHaze. said:

I'd also like to throw my hat into the ring for necromancy so drop me a line DrakeHaze#5150

On 6/1/2021 at 4:54 PM, GodEatingCommie said:

I have little to say, though I agree with some of the above in that it's an increasing circlejerk until there are such an inconsequential amount of Necromancers they cant do much, and those who can dont want to.

On 6/1/2021 at 6:40 PM, King_Kunuk said:

I hope that if a necro rewrite does happen, I will be able to see the masters of undeath in action, ether fighting against or with them!

hello gamers, you may be interested in this !

On 6/1/2021 at 4:21 PM, Caelria said:

I don't think I've ever once had a positive IC or OOC experience with a necromancer. Positive IC meaning productive, interesting, or valuable to the development of my stories or characters; positive OOC meaning amicable or enjoyable (and not laden with rules lawyering and self-aggrandizing as conversations with necros so often are).

I don't think the problem is with the magic. I think the problem is with the players.

You've rewritten necro approximately one kazillion times. Every time people hate them. Maybe it's just full of unlikable or frustrating people, dawg.

Same people same problems.

I joined the server very recently and so I just wanted to give my ideas but I have about 28 hours on the server at the time of writing this, so I know some things, but not everything.

So far I have just begun my magic journey, I have yet to find a teacher but that doesn't need to happen for another 5 weeks or so OOC. I am really enjoying the exploration side of magic being, finding a mysterious tome in a library and then reading it, jotting that down in my personal notebook and then go back to working on my housemagery lmao. 
I have really enjoyed how all of the magic must be learned IC and that is my favorite aspect of the server to be honest; however, I think that there is a great barrier to magic and an even greater barrier to dark magic IRP. Which, does make sense but I just wish I could literally find anyone or any book on dark magic hidden away in some kind of ruins or the like.

In the same way that housemagery is a very basic introductory and beginner friendly magic that can be self-taught I think it'd be very useful to have some kind of and I cannot stress this enough very basic  introductory dark magic that can also be self-taught from a book in some sort of ruins of a long forgotten world. 
I think of housemagery as the prestidigitation cantrip from DnD 5e (I'm sure you're all aware of that, we're all the same archetype lmao); I would imagine the new self-taught dark magic to be like the thaumaturgy cantrip from DnD 5e. In my mind this would do a lot of good. 
In the same way that housemagery signals to good-aligned people that your PC wants to learn light or neutral magic to teachers, I think the thaumaturgy magic (whatever it may be called) would signal to evil-aligned people that your PC wants to learn dark magic to teachers of dark magic. Giving some IRP paths to finding dark magic that can be found in the wild would be such an asset. 

The biggest issue is that I could see these ruins being raided constantly by protags and as Lhindir said: 

On 5/31/2021 at 7:35 PM, Lhindir_ said:

Hence why undead and necromancers recently have, Very deliberately, been very, very secretive. We're not loot balloons to get blown up by protags lol. 

Still, would give the forces of good and evil a central location of conflict rather than having small hotspots of minor villainy with the random ghoul encounters. I think the potential here outweighs any possible negatives but I really  would appreciate some feedback on this idea.