Pancakehz

Oooh boy

Question 1: What is one thing you dislike about Orcs/Krugmar? How can it be improved?

I wil try to break this up, and explain such as coherently as possible.

IRP: In the past 3 IRL years, I have had very few enjoyable RP interaction with a Orc aligned with Krugmar, not all but the vast majority of interactions have been terrible, and I can count on one hand the amount of pleasant RP I've had with the orcish playerbase. Why so- you may ask? Simply, every single interaction I've had with an orcish character has been either:

A. A raid, which mainly consists of just shouting, memes, and pvp.
B. Low effort meme RP. (Not even high effort memes!)
C. Banditing/Slaving, which mainly involves copy pasted emotes, shouting, and than PVP.
D. Thinly veiled attempts at harassment. More on that in the OOC section.

E. Direct IRP recreations of historically reviled people-groups and organizations, such as the 3rd Reich, including both uniform, traditions, and goals.

Now, reasonably, there is definitely more to orcish culture than that. And there is most definitely more to such a playerbase. But I have yet to see it. And while I understand, orcs are intended to be dangerous creatures, it is unenjoyable to have an entire playerbase whose main interaction is poorly done villainy. A villain is fine, as is a villainous race, but it has to be mutually enjoyable, and to some end other than 'hurr hurr don' like them'.

OO(R)C: I will try to keep this brief, but for the past year- maybe 2, I have been harassed (both on LOTC, and other mediums) by members of the orcish playerbase, a few times death-threats, gore PM'd to me, heck, even found a discord whose primary purpose was harassing LGBT people on twitter- mainly headed by members of the LOTC orcish community. Gladly, many of these harassers are banned, but despite the bans- this is so prolific in the community- rather than simply a few individuals, that I've had a couple new players who join the orc discord immediately seek me out and ask if Im aware that banned players and current players alike are still up to the same stuff. Its to the point that whenever I see an username I don't recognize referring to me with slurs or accusations, I can pretty accurately surmise they're from the Orcish playerbase (with as of current, 100% accuracy). And while there are a good hunk of people who do not like me in many communities, the sheer amount of venom from certain members of the orcish community crosses the border from '****-talk' to downright harassment. 

Question 2: What is one thing you like/admire about Orcs/Krugmar?

LOTC orcs are relatively unique in some ways from orcs of other medias. They're visually colorful, with differing skin tones, appearances, subraces, and subgroups with unique gods, a shamanic caste, and a clan based governance system with a effective dictator at its head.

Question 3: What do you think Orcs/Krugmar biggest opportunity for improvement is?

Orcs have been basically doing the exact same thing on LOTC for the past 5-6 years, that anything new or different could be revolutionary. Whether being villainous with a defined, achievable goal, or even being more friendly, either would be able to cause massive ripples in many communities.

Question 1: What is one thing you dislike about Orcs/Krugmar? How can it be improved?

- more literacy 

- clique-centric, new orcs often get pushed out in favor of old heads who want to become rex for the twentieth time up until recently

- willingness to cooperate with role-play consequences 

- very interesting cultural takes on concepts involving shamanism and animism 

Question 3: What do you think Orcs/Krugmar biggest opportunity for improvement is?

- focus on yourselves, focus less on conflict, give your players a reason to hop on that goes beyond jumping up and down and watching chaseusbelli turn red and pop

- advocate for role-play literacy, minimize complaints, learn to be diplomatic and level-headed

I'll keep this short since I've seen pretty much everything I agree with in the comments, both the goods and bads, (ooc stuff, meme rp, unique culture, raids without decent build up of rp, PvP goons galore, beautiful skins, etc) and would just like to say that the fact that you've even made this post and are considering other playerbases opinions is a massive relief, and gives me hope that one day, I can unshelve my orc characters and partake in some actually lovely rp. Thank you Pancake, and I wish you luck on improving the orc community, not only to make them more enjoyable to rp with for other members of LOTC, but to also be an orc who is centered on creating a story rather than pummeling other people into the ground. Cheers, mate.

2 hours ago, Pancakehz said:

My major issues with Orcs has always been something out of their control which should honestly be cultural to Orcs. I'm sure a big complaint for most people will be PVP goonery and bad behavior, but being a honorable warrior is one of the main cultural aspects of both Shamanism and Orcs.

Spoiler

(This does not mean they are forced to honor foreign races, but rather a society can only be built by honoring the blood of Krug, otherwise every Orc would be at each others throat.)

People will tell Orcs not to be so combative or act like PVP goons and yet expect Orcs to share their cultural design of Krug Shamanism with other races, which appropriating that leaves them less unique culturally and only to act on their bloodlust. Shamanism though is probably the most important part of the Orc's cultural design, but unfortunately has had a lack of maintenance due to other races adapting Shamanism and Spirits as their own lore and definitions. This spun out many ideas of what the Spirits actually represent, and left it to mostly words of worship but with a lack of action. This also has to do with a clash between old lore of Krug creating the Spirits, and modern lore with a Daemon residing over the Spirit Realm.

To put it simply:

• Krug the almighty Oldfather was unbreakable as he contended with Aengudaemons and the Elements.
  • Upon discovery of Spirits approaching Krug, the Spirit Realm was completed through Krug's spirit.
  • The Immortal Realm were skills & practices (compared to concepts) created through the traits of Krug passed onto his kin, and meant to design a mortal culture and a way to provide for a clan/greater society
  • A clansmen who performs the events or action to a greater degree achieves a greater ancestral seat after they die. (Ex: Lurs must prove to be great hunters, Gorkil must prove to be greater warriors.)
  • The Ancestral Realm is the Krug afterlife, a Valhalla of sorts, where lesser spirits go upon death to preside with the ancient greater spirits of Krug & his kin.

Though many will easily disagree with me due to Shamanism being re-written, god knows how many times. This is must definition of the cultural design for Orcs with a balance between the Daemon and Krug, but in my opinion sharing Shamanism outside of Krug lands makes Orcs far less unique despite being a main race.

One thing I have always loved about the Orc Community both IRP/OOC, is that despite how much people demonize them just for 'playing a role' they will always stand together and contend against adversity. People can only do so much to sustain the orcish concepts without elder guidance, yet many communities and staff in many occasions attempt to step all over the efforts of Orcs and in many times very shadily.

Orcs need more events to regain reputation with their Clan based Ancestral/Immortal practices. It would also help regain retention for activity if Clans can start interacting between themselves again by competing through their inherited traits. It would also be very useful if PvE events could be used much more commonly with Orcs so others wouldn't complain so much they got attacked by Orcs, despite a Clan being represented as having traits of a Warrior. 

Question 1: What is one thing you dislike about Orcs/Krugmar? How can it be improved?

Ha ha you asked for one, you'll get a few. First thing is first: Guests! There are some who visit our city who aren't there to cause trouble and are curious. This is super important in giving an impression on our honor, our culture. It's a chance for outside players to see us and interact outside of the road banditing or the raids. Attacking them, killing them, giving them a hard time leaves a bad impression. While we should be prepared to throw down if the guest acts up, it'd be better it they see us as people. Who knows, that can encourage more visits, or new orcs. 

The lack of civilians! Orcs have a Spartan-like culture. While that isn't a bad thing I've seen "slice of life" rp mocked by players often. People have also complained about crp? So what does that leave us RP-wise? We need more variety in accepted playstyles beyond shamanism, gooning/chimping, pvp/raiding. We need people who do want to drink their tea, or share stories around a hookah or fire. While we need to be able to fight, it shouldn't be at the cost of other rp! 

Lack of visibility outside of Krugmar/Raiding! This is a big one. You see elves around everywhere outside their cities. Dwed as well. Nin's one of the few that aren't a whitewash who is consistently seen often and interacts with other races. That's a good thing! I've had a bunch of new players who wanted to be an orc because of Nin. There's no reason others can't as well. We are all cursed, but, what we do to manage that while around others can lead to some real interesting interactions and character development.

How honoraries are treated. While they are not physically orcs, they went through trials and hardship to prove their worth. They are Orc-lite. They should be treated like one of us in honor of that. That's what honorary means. I've seen in-character harassment over them, and them treated as barely tolerated second class citizens. Wow, what a great reward for all the trials right? People are scared of too many or them getting it too easily? Yet, I see honoraries as invested players. We need players. Playing an honorary easily can lead to making a full Orc in the future as well. Either way, it's a doorway in.

They're an underdog race with major stigma surrounding them and a curse that makes life around others difficult. They explore honor and what it means. They can be noble, loyal, honest to a fault. Every orc is willing to fight and die for something. They also can be endearing, silly idiots. It's a fun balance between serious and silly. The bonds between orcs can run deep, and when one falls, it's tragic and yet, if they went out honorably, it's a triumph. The culture, the exploration of the spirits, these things are all enjoyable!

Question 3: What do you think Orcs/Krugmar biggest opportunity for improvement is?

Reach out! Meet others and make bonds outside of the city. We need friends to take home to share our stories with.

Edited by Squiggles

1. Orcish blah can be odd and hard to pick up and carry on, and definitely encourages meme RP. Also  the people I played with as an Orc last map were rather unhelpful and toxic, it wasn't a community I wanted to be apart of.

2. I appreciate your efforts as a leader and I appreciate the shared power taken to revitalise the Orcish community. From what i've seen vaguely, there's been less toxicity, and I appreciate that.

3. The Krugmar discord remains a place that, for the most part, I don't want to be part of. As I view it, most of the problems with the Orcs is the community around them, not necessarily a majority, it may just be a very loud minority, but it leaves people with bad experiences and actively damages the perception of the Orcish playerbase. I think this can be improved, because a lot of the people holding some power in Krugmar seem like nice people.

Question 1: I think this is more of a fault of ST or Rules but for being the blood lust race there's not much to do as orcs. War is impossible to get because of staff fuckery and the CB rules and as far as I'm aware there's only been one large scale event this map that wasn't even finished.

Question 2: The orcs definitely have the most unique race lore and culture on LOTC, it's an experience you can't get anywhere else on the server and I think it's probably one of the best ones as well.

Question 3: Shaman magic that isn't broken OP or given to elves.

first off.. the playerbase as my krugmar persona i had in krugmar for almost 2 irl years just got killed by some boomer shaman for being gay and for some reason everyone took her side cus "shamen pog" you really need to get rid of the toxic goons who hide behind "its just rp im not homophobic irl i sware" the orcs who are in krugmar all the time giving the tile actvity are the ones rping.. not the ones banditing **** on the roads

the lore, think about it to me orcs are the only race on LOTC that still has the same lore from 2013 when the server was first made some people might think its outdated but i honestly think its a good thing.. just need to get back into the lore and less pvp/goonery **** like going on 5 znaga hunts in one day

Question 3: What do you think Orcs/Krugmar biggest opportunity for improvement is? again.. the lore.. or atleast rp.. i dont know why so many of you guys want to do nothing but banditing all day.. i thought the almost war with elvenessy was cool cus yall actualy had rp backing for once lamo

Edited by antiopa

Blah is the worst. It's meant to sound silly and stupid and it can not be taken seriously. It makes most interactions with orcs joking ones.

The Krugmar cities and buildings are some the best looking ones IMO. Nice area. Great atmosphere.

No clue, I'll just take any opportunity to talk about how I don't like blah.

What is are things you dislike about the Orcs and Krugmar? How can it be improved?

I have been on the server for nearly 10 years now. In that time, I've had the opportunity to play an orc 2-3 times and experience the different approaches to the player base. Ironically enough, my first interaction with the server was being robbed and killed on the road by the orcs back in Aegis.

With that said, I believe the orcs and their culture are not being utilized or followed. The orcs are an antagonistic people and I believe it is entirely within their lore to be barbaric, honor-crazed fantatics who enjoy the more brutal aspects of life. The issue is that the lore translates server-side to PVP-obsessed goons who alt their orcs. I know plenty of orc players who are incredibly active on their characters and progress the roleplay of the Rexdom, but the majority of the orc rally force from an outsider's perspective are alt accounts, trolls and bandits. I've had orc alts that have constantly visited my roleplay community 2-3 times and only have the purpose of annoying people with subpar villainy roleplay. Furthermore, I've heard tale of orc players being forced to act dishonorable in roleplay by their superiors because it would waste too much time. That does not inspire confidence.

It feels — for me — that the orcs are rescinding their lore standards and actively attempting to aid and abet bad bandit alts for the majority of their war activities. During the time of my first orc, the community focused on being bandits on their orcs. We robbed people and had frequent clashes with the forces of Oren back in the Fringe. It was exhilarating being an antagonistic group and then returning to a giant city of interesting orc roleplay. I just do not see that with current-day Krugmar.

My main point of advice is to find players for events and raids that are good roleplayers and actively engaged with your day-to-day. The military of Elvenesse is small and hardly trained in PVP, but they are active on their personas and contribute interesting roleplay to our home tile for the majority of their playtime. Even my players who alt bandits strive to make the experiences of those being robbed interesting and not one-emote halts.

What are things you like or admire about the Orcs and Krugmar?

You all seem to have a very welcoming player base. My general interactions so far OOC are positive. Strangely enough, the culture I see among the players is more engaging and orc-like than the roleplay side of it. Players like Clocky are incredible luck and fostering those player experiences are the best things the orcs do in my view.

Under Mick, I had some really fun and interesting roleplay with Rex Zhot when I was captured in Krugmar. It was some of the most tense and interesting roleplay I've had on my current character period! I would love to see more of that aspect from the orcs. You all are bad guys in-game — make it interesting!

What do you think the Orcs and Krugmars biggest opportunity is for improvement?

Your current players. As far as I am aware, there are a handful of really fun and active orcs in Krugmar that are having difficulty getting the other players to contribute past raids. Honestly, these players trying to help Krugmar are the most valuable of things. Dedicated and roleplay-centric players are the bread and butter of any surviving community on this server. Bandit groups, orc empires and human vassals alike buckle and crash down when there is not enough roleplay being conducted to justify logging onto the server. A raid is fun, but so is raiding on any other server. Roleplay is what you should foster.

7 hours ago, Pancakehz said:

The needless murder hoboing of literally anyone that isnt like a several year old orc player. I feel like every time I've gone to krugmar beyond OOC reasons it's just resulting in my character being threatened and or having to be defended so they dont get absolutely mutilated for 0 reason, even after declaring the intentions. My elf came to seek the rex to offer to keep fighting along after leaving Sutica and this happened. It's fruitful if its done in the appropriate scenario but it seems like new(er) orcs just get given a memo that is like "lol kill elves and humans" and then yall expect the nation to grow and or prosper. Promote honorary stuff again. It helps. And dont just make slavery a case of nabbing anyone on the road because they dont want to PvP orcs so they cave in, get branded and never return.

You have a rich culture, probably richer than a lot of nations. There's not a lot else to say that others above havent covered.

Refine the aspects of your culture that isnt specifically orc based. Again, as i said earlier, revamp how y'all approach the snaga stuff, re-approach the honorary system. If you want more suggestions or how to go about it hmu on disc panc, you have it still.

Orcs are very fun to play and are the most intriguing characters to play as. Though the reason why it's a turn off from players is probably due to the amount of OOC and how orcs aren't a big player base. When I say this I mean as it is below the food chain above Halfling when it comes to what people play as. Also, Orcs often have a lot of toxic players that just memes a lot and doesn't take things seriously. Not only this, but sometimes you end up with Rex's that are one of those toxic/meme people that just drives even more players away. In conclusion, I mostly feel that it's some of the players within it that are one of those toxic/memelord's that makes it a big turn off towards players. 

The biggest opportunity of improvement is to just showcase like any other nation does which is show activity, make RP posts of events or what not, and get people involved with certain activities based upon orcish culture. Anything that will make someone intrigued in playing an orc to join the 'fun' or what not.

I've had nothing but good interactions with Orcs for the past few years. There's some goons yeah, but that's true for every nation and especially nations at war. The festival held most recently with the big ol' PvP brawl was really fun, and shamanism is a very cool magic that I have many fond memories of.

Whether or not you like or hate the Orcish community OOCly probably depends on whether or not you're at the business end of the Krugmar war machine. If the Orcs are actively raiding you, you probably don't think of them as much beyond PvP goons who happen to have a nation they're attached too. If the Orcs aren't hostile towards you, they're a pretty cool culture and community to hang out with sometimes. While I haven't spent too long playing an Orc myself personally (only ever got dragged into the race when MicBox wanted me to play one), the times I've spent hanging around Orcish cities have been decent as well.

Just plan more festivals, try to make shamanism great again (I wouldn't know how exactly to do this since I have next to no knowledge of magic on LOTC), and keep being an awesome culture and community. Try not to get too toxic and everything is golden. People will always hate Orcs for being a culture that makes use of conflict and warfare, so it's your duty to prove the haters wrong and show the server that Orcs are and always will be a treasured part of the server experience.

1. The only negative thing i can see in orcs is that the do not rp enough and when they do its more like a one time thing, to explain better i been to krugmar a few tomes and even came at the tournament and won and gor the title aswell but everytime i rp with a orc inside krugmar we always have a fun rp, but when you see them outside of krugmar its all about pvp gooning and raiding, like i had a experience that i met some orcs that i roleplayed before and we were good and the next day when i saw them at the road they straight up bandited me and just left with out even checking or trying to talk to me frist.

2. Expect that everything esle is great about them, i really like the roleplay that i had with some orcs inside krugmar and i think its much more fun rather than arcas.

3. A way to make krugmar and orcs better is too tell the people to give up the gooning like sure we all want to pvp and stuff but lets keep it on a minimum.