[✗] [Reagent] Black Powder

Sybbyl0127

Recipe:

-Charcoal

-Sulfur

-Saltpeter

-Pure Grain Alcohol

Appearance:

Black Powder appears in the form of a dark gray powder with lighter gray granules mixed in. 

18fcbfca796182341eddc5a0650392fa.png

Creation:

The creation involves three components: Saltpeter, Sulfur, Charcoal. The composition is 75% Saltpeter, 15% Charcoal, 10% Sulfur.

Each ingredient must be processed and ground down, with care not to breathe in the particulates. 

Prepare the charcoal first, or purchase it already made. Then take your charcoal, saltpeter and sulfur and grind those ingredients down into a very fine powder. Make sure to keep these ingredients separate for now.

For the amount of the powdered mixes you've prepared, prepare about 2 cups of pure grain alcohol. First, pour half your alcohol slowly into the sulfur powder while it sits on a low heat in a wide pan. Stir it gently until the sulfur is dissolved, be very careful not to allow this mixture to catch fire while stirring. Once dissolved and stirred, you may then add the Charcoal and Saltpeter mixture.

While the powders and mixing with the alcohol mixture, be sure to wear a mask to avoid inhaling any smoke.

Turn off the heat, and store your mixture somewhere dark and cold for at least a day, then afterwards set it to dry in the sun. Once it is dried, break it back down into a powder and store it in a container somewhere cool and out of reach of children.

[[ OOC: For obvious reasons, incorrect steps have been added to the creation process. This is not how you make real black powder. Please do not attempt this. ]]

Raw Effect(s): 

A Highly reactive material, black powder when ignited will quickly spark and set on fire, only to die shortly after. This can find its uses in a variety of applications, one such is the use for fireworks, a glorious display during festivals.

Signs & Symbols:

[Fire] and [Earth]

-Chaos x1

-Heat x2

-Burning x2

Redlines:

- Cannot be weaponized unless specific lore states otherwise.

- Black powder on its own can't be used to create explosions of any destructive scale.

- Not an alchemical Recipe

- Non-alchemists can make black powder, but only alchemists can extract its symbols as a reagent.

- No ST sign required

Credit to TaiwanNotChina for the original iteration
Credit to Sorcerio for assisting with some details

Question: what's the purpose of rewriting this if the current lore already stands as valid and does not have any glaring problems?

I like it, previous iteration was a bit too vague. This seems to fix the problems and make it able to be made properly.

1342894145_MilitaryTech.png.700163d6f9961bdb7b8a4b66ba575e23.png

1 hour ago, Sorcerio said:

Question: what's the purpose of rewriting this if the current lore already stands as valid and does not have any glaring problems?

Current write of black Powder recipe isn't actually craftable, its an invalid recipe from the old alchemy system

This write really is basically just, making the recipe make sense in current alchemy
There's literally no other changes

I put it on a separate page as a rewrite because I wanted to change how it was worded, what with the bad grammar and all. And it needed better formatting

A few misunderstandings about how the original black powder recipe worked were cleared up, sorcerio explained some things I had mistaken, made some edits to reflect that

Ah so this is what sparked the musket post...

No pipebombs, I am sad.

Nah. For the simple reason that it won't be approached correctly by most folks who intend to use it. Alongside this, the name itself implies a real world application / use. 

10 minutes ago, Temp said:

Nah. For the simple reason that it won't be approached correctly by most folks who intend to use it. Alongside this, the name itself implies a real world application / use. 

Its the same as the one currently accepted though, we haven't had any real issues with people using black powder in rp so I think its rather safe, doesnt need any drastic changes

Although now that those misunderstandings I had were cleared up, I may just offer my fixes as an amendment to the currently accepted post

Just now, Sybbyl0127 said:

Its the same as the one currently accepted though, we haven't had any real issues with people using black powder in rp so I think its rather safe, doesnt need any drastic changes

Because they literally can't use it and any attempts to are instantly slapped down for being bad. With a new name it at the VERY least implies a disconnect from the real deal and what it can do.

Think we'll just use what I wrote here to edit current black powder to be properly formatted with current system so thissun will probably get moved to denied after

What did I JUST say about using black text in your posts

jokes aside, nice lore, +1, the old reagent is vague.