[✗] [Lore] Musketry

Hanrahan

19 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Musket Rollplay Steps

As RP isn’t perfect, and a verdict cannot always be agreed upon - There is a system of Rollplay to fall back on if an agreement can’t be made.

If the Shooter is 10+ Blocks away, roll for Accuracy.

0-10 is a Miss.

10-15 is a Hit.

15-19 is an accurate hit.

20 is a Critical hit.

If the Target is at close Range, 2 Blocks away or less, you do not need to roll to hit. Instead, Roll for damage. 

0-10, normal damage.

10-19, high damage.

20 is Critical damage.

When you fire a Gunpowder weapon, you must announce over #s 

[!] A Gunshot echoes over the Landscape. [!]

Ok time for an actual critique:

1: What is the maximum range? You have not mentioned a maximum range anywhere on this lore post and I think that's vital information that ought to be included.

2: Why push for musket lore before we even have earlier firearms like the arquebus or matchlock? Are we just going to suddenly invent flintlock muskets without any intermediary steps in firearm technology? I think firearm lore is a lot more likely to be accepted if this problem is solved somehow. A matchlock gun or other type of pole mounted hand cannon is something that the staff might be more willing to accept. Those sorts of earlier firearms would work better with LOTC's more medieval/fantasy theme and allow for all the gunpowder musketeer stuff without skipping past the days of chivalry and bravado entirely and moving towards masses of soldiers in fancy dresses shooting at each other in line battles praying they don't get obliterated by a cannonball or stray bullet.

I know that Oren already has the powdered wigs and post-enlightenment government and philosophy, but that doesn't mean we get to skip right to muskets without any previous developments needing to occur first.

3: Since bullet wounds are highly prone to infections, and since LOTC medical knowledge is not quite up to modern standards, I feel as though the damage of bullets should be nerfed to be more in line with crossbow bolts or else guns will just be crossbows but more deadly. I can't imagine myself agreeing to somebody using these rules over crossbow rules with the way it's set up, as the gunman has a 50% chance of dooming my character at any range (regardless of what armor my character is wearing) since "normal" bullet damage is still deadly as ****.

Just now, Taketheshot said:

If you have to state the answer to your rhetorical question it probably wasnt that rhetorical...

In truth the people outside of the magic clique have no real idea what type of magic one has, most of us only really encounter it when the mage decides to walk up and rip apart our bodies at the molecular level or other such attacks. I mean no ill will against the mages. But its time for a change and I believe muskets offer that change. 

i'll say this in a very respectful manner, since i'm sensing that there's a disconnect here. it seems that you either are misunderstanding magic, or believe that mages are capable of much more than they truly are. kha magic (time manipulation), mentalism, and whatever can rip apart bodies at a molecular level are all either shelved or nonexistant. if you have evidence of mages rping being able to do these extraordinary feats, please send them to my dms at olivia marguerite#2578 becaise i would love to slap the powergamers that are doing such. 

i don't have an opinion on guns, i just have an opinion on magic.

1 minute ago, neoroseo said:

i hate something that would probably just end up being an oren niche'

Basically the same thing tbh, though it wouldn’t have to be. Black Powder and muskets would be available to all. I agree with your other points however.

1 minute ago, Setsuko_ said:

I would love to see muskets, since they don't actually break RP anymore then forcing some poor soul to swallow a fireball is. It evens the playing ground a little in my honest opinion, since mages are basically gods among men.

+1

Mages have their own weaknesses to deal with. I don't practice magic IRP simply because I don't like it but they're definitely not comparable to gods among men. Other than that you made a fair point. 

All I got to say is, since guns can pierce plate armor. Just make it a 4 emote load. 4th emote being when you aim and fire. Your post had like 3 actions shoved into one on the last part. Since its an ET item, its a bit more special and powerful then a crossbow at the cost of an extra emote.

2 minutes ago, neoroseo said:

4. it's not an 'i hate oren' thing, this is just an 'i hate something that would probably just end up being an oren niche'

--Except for the fact that there are people outside the Orenian playerbase who want this.

Hearts out to my Haeseni firearm gurus.

god i just want to be in the woods getting dogged on by a bear, and have some elven scoia'tael type figure shoot it from a tree and save my ass. is that too much to ask

4 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

3: Since bullet wounds are highly prone to infections, and since LOTC medical knowledge is not quite up to modern standards, I feel as though the damage of bullets should be nerfed to be more in line with crossbow bolts or else guns will just be crossbows but more deadly.

Agreed. And that's why there is the stipulation at the bottom of the application where if one party does not consent to musketry RP, then it reverts to crossbow mechanics. I think Hanrahan's intention here is that it is a CSGO retexture of the crossbow into a musket.

This is a lot of effort for a shitpost, I won't lie. 

Consider if you will the steam tank. As we well know, Urguan has had both a train and steam based ships for some time; and while not ‘easy’, the technology of an armored steam-based cart is still accessible to any capable blacksmith, woodworker, and clockmaker. 

They can come attached with a cannon or windows for musketeers to fire out of, and would of course require coal and water to function (both easily accessible resources on LotC). I have attached a diagram below to show you how easy it is to make a steam engine work. Simple, really.

3e719a2c3d6b8aff5088d27e360b490e.gif

As we already have horses which can also be armored, and can build wagons and put plate on them, I really see no difference. +1 if you don't mind.

Spoiler

440px-Weinlese_Erlenbach_1444.jpg

A lot of people think of the Wars of the 19th Century when they think of muskets, like the Napoleonjc wars. That point in time is already after 400 years of use and development of firearm technology and tactics.

But really, Guns are medieval.

Thank you.

LotC is "meant" to be a niche setting of medieval fantasy. While some medieval fantasy does in fact have low-tier firearms in place (Fable, Dishonored, etc), I believe LotC is meant to emulate more of a Lord of the Rings-esque fantasy world (hence; Lord of the Craft. It's in the namesake). It just doesn't fit in the culture, it doesn't feel good. People already out here doing Victorian court RP is already super modern- but at least that evolves semi-naturally as an RP culture.

I don't necessarily disagree with guns or firearms, I merely think that they open the door for a whole other slew of things. "Well if we have muskets why can't we have X Y and Z pre-industrial-industrial technologies?" Then you get trains, gatling guns, and eventually the nuclear bomb.

Keep it medieval, return to peasant monke.

Overly complicated and completely unneeded on the server

Can't wait for my Oren Legislative Gun Control rp though