[✗] [Lore] Musketry

Hanrahan

In truth, what really bothers me here is the imbalance of technology the firearms will create, it creates situations where some parts of the map are just ready to enjoy the fruits of the industrial revolution whilst the others are stuck on medieval roleplay thus crashing any immersion that exists in the world.

What was described in the thread was a Flintlock musket, if firearms are to be added, I suggest they'd start off with crappy, prone to malfunction and 15 or higher roll to hit Matchlock Arquebuses that require multiple emotes to engage an enemy with and a lot of IRP training beforehand. After given a lot of OOC time, the Matchlock firearms can gradually evolve overtime to better to use Muskets, but really, it's a very risky thing to implement and I see no thoughtful or important reason to implement it at this time.

Edited by Herod

People just say no, without a single argument, because they can't spend more then five seconds pausing their tree shagging rp session. Then crying when someone wants to advance past the same RP as eight real life years ago.

19 minutes ago, DelaneyG said:

god i just want to be in the woods getting dogged on by a bear, and have some elven scoia'tael type figure shoot it from a tree and save my ass. is that too much to ask

see: compound bow 

No on consensual agreement to these, the lore should be something the community can accept and it's weak to let it be flimsy where parts of the community accept it and others don't. 

With that said, I'm kinda' impartial and would like to see black powder get real use outside of fireworks. But I'm concerned about power creep and if you nerf muskets to the point where they're just flavor crossbows, then what's the point in the end? Getting blasted with the blicky could lead to a lott of butthurt and trolly behavior as well.

It's been discussed plenty of times before and I hope the discussion can be settled on one way or the other.

2 minutes ago, Malaise said:

see: compound bow 

lame argument! I want musket elves in the trees! 

1 minute ago, Big Boss Rabbit said:

But I'm concerned about power creep and if you nerf muskets to the point where they're just flavor crossbows, then what's the point in the end?

Because it‘s literally just flavour, no one actually wants a private technological advantage with firearms.  They want an interesting world with more diverse, yet harmonious themes.

There are no valid arguments against handguns, only emotional opposition to any and all progression on the server.

mfw elven mages had a large hadron collider and iphones in 2016 and humans couldnt fling a rock through a tube

if that situation didnt prove its impossible for guns to be passed by our admins, nothing will .

Can't wait for someone to always have a "Pre loaded gun" on them and then dome in the middle of the street

19 hours ago, Taketheshot said:

This has been posted time and time and time again, Firearms are ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENT than crossbows in terms of use and form. The only thing firearms offer is increased roleplay flavor and yknow what? THAT IS A GOOD THING. We can have super elven mages who can control someones mind and warp time and space but firearms with the same function as a crossbow is too “out of place” get outta here with that...

You have a sect of players ready to adapt to this roleplay and are simply waiting for it, numerous times people have wrote astounding lore that makes sense and is well written.

Again let me say this out loud

A MUSKET HAS THE SAME POWERGAME POTENTIAL AS A CROSSBOW

If crossbows are not banned, nor should be firearms.

To all you out there concerned about ‘muh arpee!’ all I can say is there are a bunch of bleeding hearts around here that cant stand change in roleplay or to adapt to something that might be able to counter their special elven magic. All I can say is go on and bleed. 

>its the same as the crossbow

why was the last time we saw infantry using crossbows similarly to muskets was in anthos during the reign of the white rose? we went red coats but never committed to the diet of lobster or lining up shoulder to shoulder for musket lines

the potential for this niche has been here for ages. a bulk of the interest lies in the aesthetic but no one wants to be the arbalest from darkest dungeon 😔

Arbalest_artillery.png

Just now, NLThomas said:

Can't wait for someone to always have a "Pre loaded gun" on dome in the middle of the street

Crossbows aren't allowed to be preloaded, even though they logically could be. Handguns shouldn't be, either.

Just now, Heero said:

>its the same as the crossbow

yup

Guns would be alchemy-locked, or at least, dependent on Alchemy because its a reagent only t3 can produce. 

+1 cos I want to make a monopoly....

Sorry Han...i like you but it's a no from me

the imposter from among us left us a message he said say sus backwards (sus)