[✗] [Lore] Musketry

Hanrahan

Interesting viewpoint. From my experience, other servers have guns like muskets, flintlocks, set in the same era as LoTC and even some a bit later in years. Yet their playerbases use them responsibly. Let's hope the majority of LoTC players aren't childish enough to try and do modern shooting tragedies. It's a good thing you're suggesting a crossbow with a slow reload rate, instead of Crackshot which would cause major issues.

My only issue is whether or not the players of LoTC are mature enough to handle a gun the same way people of that time did.

As always, absolutely opposed to this. I don't care about the powergaming potential, I care purely about the aesthetic. This is meant to be a Medieval fantasy rp server. This sort of technology (or any magic trying to mimic it) just doesn't belong

2 minutes ago, _Jandy_ said:

Detracts from the server's thematic appeal imo

Spoiler

Wdt27dZm2lQc7pJ3FRsnEKgPs_I1s0VB31kT2u9PWyuoZjfiQ-T5GlYwSoucqGhMWsTHAzHG9odzDfbPMm-uH_tZpO87Ags6qxB99GXAlhZKKIhajyq35PTOfrMM9SxVGhdWPoFZ

Spoiler

jgrwIXxKvpmUN_mkeDbO5C9uzTplMX3u91RgqHvSShJymzp6rnn01d3ljHgKUgy4JDHy5kCys87wXJ2BZK2MttDpRL_K-lXJ7lCXA5ZK7Odi8bjZWzga2WR73WI5-84umDiFoKSQ

Spoiler

uhFpVvjQZVO7JsCFuiSs2qLzCqHcfcOYclVD8pZ_LVvkzHvIjKP3fN1BKAVDobQs2zZt3pbFkxMNV9b0uU-qvj5Irc2M-lACoypukRSCpuZR4JkO6LA3xDJkX1l9Ar1zAlSyDcc3

Spoiler

qz6tjkl4_w3wJWafrzTBUrIrP4WaOenxIEN0Exw9BEUVBLwkfh0wc7W3uDWG6_TxMxcBTUKLCfoYTfNa5CEZA3emdbsvESm4TL80Q_0j7haOvSRyO2Vs92y8D699YV7BEu7y9YTk

Spoiler

EqiW2qAM6DS2HBBCP_zE8osa3EvUC6GYXdIH0WcGeun_qeaeglwSlQKsBr7yBo8X7M9qekP1W1tJXRZ6y4RRLKJS15PnjNRycAEjVR6Acl2tWKUheahDbEdNGrDXTq9aM4OLhqq9

Spoiler

bwA2iv19vsvSjAWf0gDEyglQ9s_Nm-COSJsDqQB9zYeG3OcWVHAYg09L665NlJxKft_NxDkiPU-LP_ubrZyO1ZXA3lZFRCVzhVLOrliS2iA_5_erbmPdqPU_h_v5l4zwfDHo0rQK

Spoiler

7bVc-GXZGoQKybgVyIhxE3wFJp5tJKNJRelhZ6cZ0oW3OmEkdDChfCNoRi4sCuD8Ctfo1N1OuO4EgRLvyFpO-amtSZ_ZL84txsGybN0nqaYvvr3k9gYZl4do8r74dcJK0A66wJuI

Just for curiosity's sake, what parts of these images would you say detract from the server's thematic appeal? They are all historically/fictionally contemporary, or even behind, the server's world which has freely RP'd modern ideologies such as communism, steam power in the steam ships existing on the map, and even magic cell phones.

i can't believe you've all fallen for the hanrahan rep farm

8 minutes ago, Monkee said:

This sort of technology (or any magic trying to mimic it) just doesn't belong

Not opposed to your viewpoint, but with that point of view we might as well dispose of all atronachs, glasses, prosthetic limbs, mechanical golems, clocks, printing press, heavy plows, wheelbarrows, spinning wheels, astrolabe, arcane telephones, cranes, etc.

Oh, and hot air balloons, and the dwarves' steam ships.

2 minutes ago, ARCHITECUS said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Wdt27dZm2lQc7pJ3FRsnEKgPs_I1s0VB31kT2u9PWyuoZjfiQ-T5GlYwSoucqGhMWsTHAzHG9odzDfbPMm-uH_tZpO87Ags6qxB99GXAlhZKKIhajyq35PTOfrMM9SxVGhdWPoFZ

Reveal hidden contents

jgrwIXxKvpmUN_mkeDbO5C9uzTplMX3u91RgqHvSShJymzp6rnn01d3ljHgKUgy4JDHy5kCys87wXJ2BZK2MttDpRL_K-lXJ7lCXA5ZK7Odi8bjZWzga2WR73WI5-84umDiFoKSQ

Reveal hidden contents

uhFpVvjQZVO7JsCFuiSs2qLzCqHcfcOYclVD8pZ_LVvkzHvIjKP3fN1BKAVDobQs2zZt3pbFkxMNV9b0uU-qvj5Irc2M-lACoypukRSCpuZR4JkO6LA3xDJkX1l9Ar1zAlSyDcc3

Reveal hidden contents

qz6tjkl4_w3wJWafrzTBUrIrP4WaOenxIEN0Exw9BEUVBLwkfh0wc7W3uDWG6_TxMxcBTUKLCfoYTfNa5CEZA3emdbsvESm4TL80Q_0j7haOvSRyO2Vs92y8D699YV7BEu7y9YTk

Reveal hidden contents

EqiW2qAM6DS2HBBCP_zE8osa3EvUC6GYXdIH0WcGeun_qeaeglwSlQKsBr7yBo8X7M9qekP1W1tJXRZ6y4RRLKJS15PnjNRycAEjVR6Acl2tWKUheahDbEdNGrDXTq9aM4OLhqq9

Reveal hidden contents

bwA2iv19vsvSjAWf0gDEyglQ9s_Nm-COSJsDqQB9zYeG3OcWVHAYg09L665NlJxKft_NxDkiPU-LP_ubrZyO1ZXA3lZFRCVzhVLOrliS2iA_5_erbmPdqPU_h_v5l4zwfDHo0rQK

Reveal hidden contents

7bVc-GXZGoQKybgVyIhxE3wFJp5tJKNJRelhZ6cZ0oW3OmEkdDChfCNoRi4sCuD8Ctfo1N1OuO4EgRLvyFpO-amtSZ_ZL84txsGybN0nqaYvvr3k9gYZl4do8r74dcJK0A66wJuI

Just for curiosity's sake, what parts of these images would you say detract from the server's thematic appeal? They are all historically/fictionally contemporary, or even behind, the server's world which has freely RP'd modern ideologies such as communism, steam power in the steam ships existing on the map, and even magic cell phones.

Sir those are matchlock guns for the historical images

this is not a lore submission for matchlock guns, but flintlock guns.

do you know the difference?

3 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Sir those are matchlock guns for the historical images

this is not a lore submission for matchlock guns, but flintlock guns.

do you know the difference?

Yeah, no need to seethe though. The function of ignition is an intense heat causing the primer to react, which is accomplished either through a match or a strike. It's a small detail for the same effect.

Just now, 1_Language_1 said:

Not opposed to your viewpoint, but with that point of view we might as well dispose of all atronachs, glasses, prosthetic limbs, mechanical golems, clocks, printing press, heavy plows, wheelbarrows, spinning wheels, astrolabe, arcane telephones, cranes, etc.

Yes Chad Meme Notebook: Journal for Kids, Teens, Gamers (6 x 9 in.): Inc.,  Meme Notebooks: 9798675022533: Amazon.com: Books

except, wheelbarrows, cranes, and some of the other stuff u mentioned was invented long before the medieval era

1 minute ago, Disheartened said:

Please I just want a Paladin Holy magic musket please

Uses Paladin magic to create a Holy bullet

2 minutes ago, Disheartened said:

Please I just want a Paladin Holy magic musket please

The Xannet 50. Cal

3 minutes ago, 1_Language_1 said:

Heavy ploughs:

unknown.png

Wheelbarrows:

unknown.png

Spinning Wheel:

unknown.png

Astrolabe:
unknown.png

Flintlocks (which is what this musket lore is for):

unknown.png

If you wanna make a historical argument please stick to firearms that actually existed in the medieval europe AKA the matchlock arquebus.

Just now, altiar1011 said:

The Xannet 50. Cal

vtfvta57cfi41.jpg

1 minute ago, altiar1011 said:

The Xannet 50. Cal

legit im in favour of this kind of thing i want to see communities embrace (or not!!) them!! flavour them how u like!! have fun with it :)

I'll give some of my own thoughts here (not the STs), because frankly I don't believe that firearms should be possible on LOTC. I'm not going to argue that it breaks immersion or disrupts the theme, because LOTC has become it's own niche at this point and there's no use in hiding behind "It's a medieval fantasy server" anymore. My qualms with firearms doesn't come down to the lore or the mechanics behind it, rather, how the playerbase has treated, not only the prospect of guns, but other lores in the past - not to mention how horrendously said playerbase has responded to staff and other members of the community just doing their job. But my own personal qualms aside, I do not believe LOTC is at all capable of using this lore responsibly and with good intention. 

Let's take a look at cannons, for example: ST allowed players to create cannons and bring back some semblance of firearms into the world of LOTC. We had hoped that players would responsibly treat the lore and not abuse it in order to preserve the general goodwill of the server. Alas, such was not the case, and instead we had certain members of the community derive a ship that had fifty cannons on it - to count! This mentality of pushing lore to its utmost limits is among the largest barriers between even hoping to get firearms approved.

I'm not pinning this issue on any single player or playerbase by any means. This is a server-wide issue that should be addressed if anyone wishes to push the lore beyond what already is. If you want guns, prove that you are competent enough to handle what you already have, and then maybe, just maybe, the boundaries can be relocated. But considering players struggle to even roleplay crossbows right, I cannot possibly imagine the idea of guns being roleplayed, because even as "reskined crossbows", we all know that's not how people will treat it.