[✗] [Lore] Musketry

Hanrahan

1 hour ago, neoroseo said:

giphy.gif

Too bad

8 minutes ago, Sorcerio said:

Alas, such was not the case, and instead we had certain members of the community derive a ship that had fifty cannons on it - to count!

Your rationale for repressive denial of creativity is that someone constructed a purely decorative object referencing a real-life example? Actual medieval vessels carried way more than fifty guns, just so you're aware.

Addendum edit: There are literally ironclad steamships on the map right now, and they've been around for ages. The only issue I take with those is that they exist while flavourful weaponry is denied based on moral concerns.

1 minute ago, Sorcerio said:

I'll give some of my own thoughts here (not the STs), because frankly I don't believe that firearms should be possible on LOTC. I'm not going to argue that it breaks immersion or disrupts the theme, because LOTC has become it's own niche at this point and there's no use in hiding behind "It's a medieval fantasy server" anymore. My qualms with firearms doesn't come down to the lore or the mechanics behind it, rather, how the playerbase has treated, not only the prospect of guns, but other lores in the past - not to mention how horrendously said playerbase has responded to staff and other members of the community just doing their job. But my own personal qualms aside, I do not believe LOTC is at all capable of using this lore responsibly and with good intention. 

Let's take a look at cannons, for example: ST allowed players to create cannons and bring back some semblance of firearms into the world of LOTC. We had hoped that players would responsibly treat the lore and not abuse it in order to preserve the general goodwill of the server. Alas, such was not the case, and instead we had certain members of the community derive a ship that had fifty cannons on it - to count! This mentality of pushing lore to its utmost limits is among the largest barriers between even hoping to get firearms approved.

I'm not pinning this issue on any single player or playerbase by any means. This is a server-wide issue that should be addressed if anyone wishes to push the lore beyond what already is. If you want guns, prove that you are competent enough to handle what you already have, and then maybe, just maybe, the boundaries can be relocated. But considering players struggle to even roleplay crossbows right, I cannot possible imagine the idea of guns being roleplayed, because even as "reskined crossbows", we all know that's not how people will treat it.

That's a good point, but I still disagree with it. I don't think infantilizing the playerbase like that helps, considering it's so incredibly diverse. The wants of, for lack of a better term, 'the gun lobby', are varied. I think by far the most of us who are in favour are in it for flavour. We don't want to powergame, we don't want to "get and edge". We make up a large percentage of the playerbase, according to previous polls, roughly half the server. While there will always be a few cheeky goons, they shouldn't speak for all of us. There's bad magic players, there's bad knight players, there'll be bad gunpowder players.

I'm here for roleplaying a flavour I want, with people I want. I understand lots of folks don't want that - but I'd hope that they understand lots of folks do want it. LOTC, as you said, is a complicated system of lore and stories and properties. We should be free to create and storytell things that we want to, as long as it doesn't negatively affect other people. When bad things do happen, target the individual, not the gropu.

The ST, the GMs, the LT have always existed to prevent lore abuse, slippery slopes, and all that. The fact the LT can ban folks for months at the drop of a hat for lore break proves that no amount of rules-lawyering will put us in a situation with gatling guns and Apache Helicopters. That's why you're here! You exist to prevent that! I don't want to see anyone abused over this matter, I just want folks to have the ability to have some more freedom in the flavour that they want to see in their roleplay/community/environment. I'm not sure how we "Prove" our competency, and I think that's a negative way of looking at it with foggy goalposts that can't ever be achieved. I say this;

Try it out, see what happens. You can always say no later. You have that power. You've done it before.

I was going to write a lot, but i can summarize it all in 3 words and a filthy frank gif.

Guns in fantasy.

Joji Miller Filthy Frank GIF - JojiMiller FilthyFrank Screams GIFs

Just now, ComicD said:

I was going to write a lot, but i can summarize it all in 3 words and a filthy frank gif.

Guns in fantasy.

Joji Miller Filthy Frank GIF - JojiMiller FilthyFrank Screams GIFs

Warhammer Fantasy | Know Your Meme

Just now, ARCHITECUS said:

Warhammer has nukes too so we need to bring back the thanhium nuke so we can do a heckin' epic oren nukerino again

5 minutes ago, ARCHITECUS said:

Are these not the dudes with space ships and shat? Anyways- I dunno but. Isn't Warhammer considered science-fiction. Overall. I do not know if Warhammer is the most perfect or ideal example to push your idea forward. If I am wrong I do apologies, I do not know much about the game and only have heard it from friends or seen images or memes about it.

(Reason why : Using something else to explain why a different entire thing should have a reason to exist on the other entirely different place! So, this argument to me , a horrible argument. It is like if someone said. WELL! People put veggies in sushi! So put pineapples on pizza!)

25 minutes ago, MrChenn said:

i can't believe you've all fallen for the hanrahan rep farm

this a cruel world we live in

Lackluster time to kill that's ill suited for the environment we've got. If folks were RPing literal units, that'd be one thing as at least someone among the victims has a means of survival and a means of continuing the story in a meaningful or impactful manner. As is, it'd just incentivize ignoring firearms as meme RP because they're pretty much just free 1-emote kills / 1 'enemy is able to see this emote as the rest were in #q or done 45 blocks away' emote kills.

Just now, Orlesian said:

Are these not the dudes with space ships and shat

That's Warhammer 40k which is different from Warhammer Fantasy.

Warhammer Fantasy does have actual nuclear weapons and machine guns in the hands of the skaven rat people so I'm not sure that "Well it's in Warhammer Fantasy!" is a good argument for porting something to LOTC.

I just want to say my dump thought if you guys say its the same with a crossbow..... just use a crossbow people, no need to destroy thw system so you can flex on the girls that you holding a gun

Bro I tried this before like six months ago.

Didn't work then, not gonna work now.