THE END OF THE LONG PEACE

THE END OF THE LONG PEACE

divider.png

73c5af76ea3ab86ab72a52c8ae063b13.jpg

divider.png

Just over two years had passed since the last attack on the Woodland Realm.

The major conflicts of Almaris had concluded and the Descendant races had finally become tired of war. It was — as the elves know — only momentary, but it was enjoyed nonetheless. The Ferrymen had become quiet and the other dangers of the world had gone dormant. News of attacks on distant settlements reached the elves of the south, but they paid them no mind. Two years passed.

Then, the Rustlers attacked.

divider.png

redoak.png

To my kin and our allies.

Today is a day of triumph. After nearly two years of peace, the up-and-coming bandit group known as the Rustlers came to our borders to test the might of the elves. I had only recently returned to active duty when I was informed that a bandit was at our gate — a bandit accused of robbing a child on the roads to Oren. In my own foolishness, I allowed this woman permit into our city. It was then that a cleverly hidden group of bandits sprang forward and entered.

The Wardens mounted their horses and galloped through the streets as the bandits ran rampant. All citizens were warned and made themselves scarce. Elves fled to their homes and some even fled down the coastline on trade vessels bound for Yong Ping and Sutica. Upon completing their rounds, the Wardens dismounted and stealthily exited the safety of our city. No citizens were killed, robbed or beaten.

It was the brave Wardens who had been with me when the gates fell that joined me in the Warden Keep across the Hinterlands. The bandits had successfully taken our city — this cannot be denied; however, it was our mission to claim it back. We sent birds to the bandits in hopes of luring them out of the city and to the Warden Keep. A group of Wardens and Council members successfully returned to the city after the bandits fell for our trap and reclaimed the gatehouse. We retook our famed city without a single swing of a sword.

At the Warden Keep, our soldiers fired down arrows from our defenses as the bandits wailed and sniggered at the elves "hiding behind their walls." I am not entire certain that the concept of keeps, walls, gates and defenses have reached the realm from which these charlatans hail from. After a prolonged encounter, we finally saw the famed Rustlers depart our lands en masse. The city was safe and our citizens were entirely protected. The only damage sustained was to our barracks.

These bandits left us with passing words: "We will see you on the roads." Be safe, friends of Elvenesse, for it seems that the Ferrymen were not the last of this strange breed of warrior. Van'ayla, and pride to our Wardens.

HIS LORDSHIPAmaesil Vuln'miruel, Lord Commander and Estelaurir of Elvenesse,

Annilir of the Mali'ame, Exarch of Amathea, High Warden of the Order and the Lord of Kindle

"Easy." Elsiimah'Ceru would chuckle, looking upon the room filled to the brim with loot- some wood elven heads hung up on the walls.

Kae'tar Valin'dar wondered if he'd be involved in the next raid, as he'd sat on a distant hill twiddling his thumbs for the duration of this raid. Hang in there, Kae'tar, you'll get your chance for PVP one day.

Elsil'Ceru arched a brow. "As I recall, we killed a citizen without resistance on their end. The rest fled and allowed us to take control of their gatehouse." Her confusion only grew as she observed the "portrait" of the "battle". "And there are certainly more mali in that picture than I recall being there!"

Wyst the Rustler would shake her head
"
i think this might be wrong..  hm" 
Wyst would laugh to herself, thinking to how her comrades had easily taken their city.

Edited by Maeday0

Syllana Brylynn smiled from her home as she read over the missive. "Another day we are safe." The whole time she has been hiding inside the gate house, safe from the Rustlers, though they were close.

The little Cin cheered for her comrades, as she spent the raiding period training on her own. A plant interested in shedding blood, how odd!

Athri meanwhile wondered... it doesn't seem like the Rustlers to run? A hum escaped her, as she went off to figure out the full story.

Valerdya  of the Rustlers skims over the missive as she parties alongside the severed head of a mali'ame "Ti, ti, an awful loss it was... though I do ni remember any galloping horses, or um, well any fight at all from the mali'ame." She shrugs, passing a piece of cake to her wife.

"Must have been quite fun. Shooting arrows down en masse that is. Always warms my heart to hear the jests of bandits." The simple cook cleaned his tools as he read the missive, having been hunting in Orenian lands during the time. 

Talesii Araaloq sits around Valerdya's fireplace back in Talon's Port, recounting the harrowing raid in which they flooded through Elvenesse with zero resistance. "...and then we decapitated a dark elven woman! She was so pretty, huge waste." The missive arrives for her just then, delivered by a Rustler comrade. "HAH! Oh, this is so cute! But I honestly feel a little bad for them." She munches on a lemon square, and the cake given to her by her wife.

would chuckle before recalling the fact she was once controlling the gate house "Ye just hide inside yer walls and houses. Last time I checked having a group control your city is ne a win."

unknown.png?width=1009&height=567

Edited by masodapeso

6 minutes ago, Norrthh said:

Avaeramos watched from the sidelines.

"Man."

Ser Sanders "The Wolf" strolled up alongside Avaermos sometime after the fight, the Ferrymen divulging in some popcorn as he spoke mouth-full "I'm guessin' this is missive a whole lotta not true stuff huh? Some of them elf strats of switcherooing who won and who lost- who died and who survived- and who ran and those who stood their ground!" He tilted the popcorn towards the man, offering some to him "Popcorn? The after show is about to start of both sides malding"

Edited by 24k

1 minute ago, 24k said:

Ser Sanders "The Wolf" strolled up alongside Avaermos sometime after the fight, the Ferrymen divulging in some popcorn as he spoke mouth-full "I'm guessin' this is missive a whole lotta not true stuff huh? Some of them elf strats of switcherooing who won and who lost- who died and who survived- and who ran and those who stood their ground!" He tilted the popcorn towards the man, offering some to him "Popcorn?"

"Of course!" He concurred, before taking a handful.

News spread to the Lord Commander of the discontent among the bandits and their reporting of the incident outside of the woodlands. A light chuckle would escape him. The elf sits in his wooden chair within the Warden Keep and would look to his scattered warriors drinking, eating and speaking with one another.

"They are correct," the elf says as the table grows quiet in a slow fade. "According to the zeitgeist among these bandit groups, they are none-too-pleased with our account of events. Their idea of victory is fluid and it shifts with their circumstances. So do ours, however. It is a game to them: the same as life and death."

The elf-lord shakes his head with a bright smile. "They are correct that they took the city. They are correct that we fought them from atop the keep's walls. We did, however, recapture the city in their absence. We did suffer no casualties. We did lose no gold, loot or armaments in their attempts on the barracks. They complain about a paper. I fail to see, though, how that is my problem."

The night continued on and Amaesil enjoyed his meal.