The Official Human Family Tree

that's weird my characters haven't been given the "protagonist of lotc" title ? must be a glitch lol...........

I ask this genuinely, is this family tree based on played characters throughout LotC since Aegis (some names I recognize, some I don't) with characters filled in fictitiously or is this mixing in-game characters with another server's characters/fiction? I keep seeing this word 'Aeldin' and I never understood where that came from. I am only asking out of curiosity.

40 minutes ago, Gaius Marius said:

I ask this genuinely, is this family tree based on played characters throughout LotC since Aegis (some names I recognize, some I don't) with characters filled in fictitiously or is this mixing in-game characters with another server's characters/fiction? I keep seeing this word 'Aeldin' and I never understood where that came from. I am only asking out of curiosity.

Aeldin is a server-approved landmass; however, a few nameless individuals decided to spam characters from Aeldin on the FamilyEcho (mainly made up royalty) in order to give prestige to their own families or out of their own fantasies. I have been slowly cleaning them out but it’s difficult work. Besides the spam of Aeldin characters, majority of the characters post-1300 were actually played (pre-1300 is all pre-Aegis and so are all historical lore figures).

Hey I played Illaustius Horen back in the day and have had an issue that popped up when someone decided to make up children I didn't have to get some connection to Renatus. Just wanted to point out that only 1 child of mine married and it was to Eric Sarkozic and every other child I had died or did not marry, this other daughter 'Henritta' literally doesn't exist so if that could get cut from the tree that'd be great.

1 minute ago, DrakeHaze. said:

Hey I played Illaustius Horen back in the day and have had an issue that popped up when someone decided to make up children I didn't have to get some connection to Renatus. Just wanted to point out that only 1 child of mine married and it was to Eric Sarkozic and every other child I had died or did not marry, this other daughter 'Henritta' literally doesn't exist so if that could get cut from the tree that'd be great.

Message me this on discord, my discord is yoppl the tarchar#5195

cheers

I appreciate the hard work many have put into this! But I think it is a little strange to get upset at people putting in fictitious characters into the family tree; this is quite literally what real nobility did to strengthen their own claims. They fabricated documents, pretended they were cousins with this or that House through the marriage of obscure relations, etc. All of the "pre-Aegis" figures are equally fictitious. My character, when he has written as a historian on the server, has treated all of the claims regarding illustrious ancestors from various groups (not just humanity) with a very large grain of salt. For example, it was in Godfrey Horen's interest that he supposedly has these great royal ancestors, making him fit to be handed the throne of Renatus. Godfrey very well could have been a huckster and scam artist, as many actual nobles have been. Whether or not he is a liar is something that needs to be mediated in rp, not in "official lore" or the bloodline police. I think the group that has mostly controlled Oren for the past 8 years has used Aeldin as a crutch to hobble away from many sticky situations, but are surprised that others would use that same crutch?

Edited by VonEbs

34 minutes ago, VonEbs said:

I appreciate the hard work many have put into this! But I think it is a little strange to get upset at people putting in fictitious characters into the family tree; this is quite literally what real nobility did to strengthen their own claims. They fabricated documents, pretended they were cousins with this or that House through the marriage of obscure relations, etc. All of the "pre-Aegis" figures are equally fictitious. My character, when he has written as a historian on the server, has treated all of the claims regarding illustrious ancestors from various groups (not just humanity) with a very large grain of salt. For example, it was in Godfrey Horen's interest that he supposedly has these great royal ancestors, making him fit to be handed the throne of Renatus. Godfrey very well could have been a huckster and scam artist, as many actual nobles have been. Whether or not he is a liar is something that needs to be mediated in rp, not in "official lore" or the bloodline police. I think the group that has mostly controlled Oren for the past 8 years has used Aeldin as a crutch to hobble away from many sticky situations, but are surprised that others would use that same crutch?

There is a difference between RPly connecting yourself to a preexisting lineage (like Godfrey to Horen) and fabricating entire nations, courts, continents entirely divided from the main server, to the point that people have created entire empires within their head. They can do this, sure, but it has no space in a resource which is meant for EVERYONE, not just themselves. The FamilyEcho is meant to be a resource for houses and families that are played currently, not for people to fantasize about made-up kingdoms that have no bearance on the server or its RP. Fictitious characters are kept at a minimum and should only be for pre-server events or when it is absolutely necessary. 

All because the current Empire depended on Aeldin connections doesn’t mean the practice is right either. Aeldin-spamming needs to stop and people need to stop using it as a go-to copout. Empire in the last year, two years has made great strides in keeping everything within server and not having bizarre, fabricated Aeldin spawns. You may not see it as an issue, but it does take away from the actions of true realms and kingdoms actually played and ran by players when rando #5 can devise an entire royal line from a made-up place that never once could be found on the server. Small fabrications here and there are okay, but full-blown Aeldin lines that never have been played on the server need to go.

My issue with it has been people spawning entire new lineages off of old characters who did not reproduce. 

For example -

Tiberius Blackmont died in a huge public event at age 15 called the Red Banquet. He was murdered by his brother Lucius so Lucius could get control of the house. Yet, somehow on the old familyecho, 15-year-old Tiberius had a wife and five children. All before age fifteen! WEIRD.

In addition, someone spawned a whole Aeldinic lineage off my character Lorina. Without my OOC consent, mind you. They didn't even get the name of her son right, even though it was written in her diary which was freely accessible on the forum. They gave her a son named Wilhelm when her son's name was Andrik. It became a bit complicated when I returned and wanted to play a descendant of Lorina.

There's a difference between fabricating things IC, knowing it's a lie. And fabricating things OOC (without other players' consent) and treating it as though just because it's on the family tree, that makes it canon and real on the server.

@yopplwasupxxxI basically agree with what you have said, but this is the logical conclusion of having an "off screen" continent like Aeldin. It provides a solution to some problems, but unfortunately it has become a solution to all problems.

Imo it boils down to consent.

I spawned in 10 generations of NPCs on the family tree to justify my recent character Yuliya being descended from my old character Lorina.

But that's different from someone I don't know spawning Aeldinic NPCs off Lorina. The Aeldinic NPCs were created without my knowledge or consent - and used my character as a pawn in some clout-chasing game so they could claim to be descended from Ex. Sigismund. If someone asked me if they could be a Lorina descendant, I might've said yes. The issue is they didn't ask me. 

Aeldinic NPCs are fine if created with consent, but it's rude to just start adding fake characters to the tree just for your own clout 

no more random people whos my cousin

Horen "The Black" slept with Wilfred Proudfoot I's second wife. This is Halfling Erasure