[✗] [Feat] Thaumaturgy: Incanations of the Wiseman

Titanium430

cbK-EaMz7ElhT2azBlSO1KYqrGDp9arHJPemspeIhdbZ__TAQgbVi79lPrLeIIl1SQOLjvhSM3F2IyKmuhRIblFOB9VyYuQVKbihcVebUQCLI74R-tiqYK_MJd-IILlqMmfLLfXu

bpq1fW-0CO7cIZ_ax7QYcdnnywAWnKFEKT13ezbMqhj2OE5i2J9t19J694FR-LISG7OkxFBi-5WA2OYuyrMaW9o1n4k9o1F9IF38kmPCf6boXcP5ddldVM9lwbNAhKiXiuU_OBGY

Feat Lore

5Zqt4rq9RIuQCwKehel01FFWAtJumrC0XtLf3xOwMKOnVMhQyJex4nKUC5Uw523ruLAQPAvHGWakkYQ_mlsf_918Pi-D8CY11VudZ4lEJbfLW_uj8MeO3ALefYiGVKarYKqDo_YT

The path to power is within… The mind.” 

Scebiy9oiq9nPhZYeQ5cl-Rjq9dDEpwHpNreM0D2sLsGJoYPPPb3WSrxMvOU9ygI6FZNO_RdgbzXXQ7ya2O6rrW-gd6-1xc-CWOROVkaDKJPVH8H93Y_OqIpbMSIRO6K7xlD2hVE

PREFACE

Long ago, tales speak of cloistered scholars and wisemen who believed in the power of words. Them hiding in grand monasteries at the peaks of mountains, and deep under the earth. This is the origin of Thaumaturgy, an art of bending reality to one’s will via words. Long since has the potency failed and been drained from the art, yet it persists amongst wandering hermits, monks, alchemists and preachers in this neutered form.

Scebiy9oiq9nPhZYeQ5cl-Rjq9dDEpwHpNreM0D2sLsGJoYPPPb3WSrxMvOU9ygI6FZNO_RdgbzXXQ7ya2O6rrW-gd6-1xc-CWOROVkaDKJPVH8H93Y_OqIpbMSIRO6K7xlD2hVE

Explanation

The power of thought, one’s very will being able to change the material seems at first a strange concept, yet this is the source of Thaumturgy’s meagre power. Words and phrases can direct this will, focus it, amplify it to affect the material in a minor yet meaningful way.

Long ago when the first wisemen studied this art, more people in the realm believed in these words, and the power they held. Yet no longer, in this new world, the faith in words has failed to all but aged philosophers and learned hermits. This has diminished the power of the arts, the collective thought and will no longer consider it legitimate, and it is left to draw upon those few who practice and believe.

One must have true intent when speaking the words, lest their will and thought falter. One must truly believe for the power to take effect. The acts allowed by this will are albeit minor and insignificant, yet it brings hope for more.

9zd7tob5dSWM7o55PK1LNEz-peCQxLQwdTbA8XWAoEcDOHHF9xX2c2UjNrS5_tS6LHPVRjh94vJafOtAzRaIQm4-M5UB0hg-VfW1dp8V17ZM2Vp_Fdzp_6REqmGYMM6xkhSGBDVE

Will that to be, and it will be.

Abilities/Spells

MINOR THAUMATURGY [1 Emote]

The staple ability of Thaumaturgists. The ability to manipulate and change reality on a minor level with the power of will and words. One may only manipulate things they can see, and are limited to doing so within a 5 block radius around them. This can come in many forms, but a few are listed below

By whispering into a lit candle, the caster may snuff out its flame with the a word, such as “Darkness”

The user may amplify their voice to booming levels, or simply have it travel throughout a room at a normal volume. This ability is often used by preachers and the like who need to speak to a large crowd. 

[Flavorful way of #shout]

The Caster may for instance, call sunlight down through windows, it streaming down through clouds or other disturbances, this would be invoked with the the phrase “Let there be light!” or something similar.

This is but a snippet of the power’s and minor tricks one is able to accomplish, but all must be minor, flavorful, and not used for harm.

REDLINES

1: May not be used to harm another, and is limited to minor acts like those listed above.

2: The examples above are just that, examples. Other uses may be made at the player’s discretion, though they must follow all rules of the spell, that being that they must be minor, flavorful, and not used for harm.

3: The caster may not in any circumstances create something out of thin air. They may not light a candle aflame, merely set it out, they may not create light, but cause it to come through the windows from outside and so on and so forth.

4: One may only use minor thaumaturgy within a 5 block radius around one’s self, it requires direct line of sight to the object to be manipulated.

WHISPERS OF THE WISEMAN [3 Emotes]

By whispering to oneself twice over a short period of time, then whispering a final time directed towards a single target. The Thaumaturgist is able to project a maximum of 10 words to said target within 15 meters, then receiving the message as if it were whispered into their ear by the caster regardless of if they would understand the language of the Thaumaturgist. 

This requires intense concentration and direct line of sight, the caster not being able to react to others less they break the spell. If one were to be distracted in some way, such as being attacked or even simply touched, the spell would break and leave the caster in a daze for [1] Emote, their mind overloaded as they simply stand still for said duration, unable to act or move.

REDLINES

1: This spell may NOT be used in combat or to even indirectly cause harm to another.

2: A limit of 10 words may be sent to the target of the spell.

3: A range of 15 meters is the limit of distance one may cast the spell.

STRENGTHENED MIND [Passive]

The mind of one who draws upon such power is strained, and like a man who works upon his body, this strengthens and fortifies it. Yet one who treads the boundary between the real and unreal risks falling into the mind, forever trapped within one’s own thoughts. The mind naturally fights this off however, with the side effect of occasional migraines and headaches.

This strengthening gifts one the ability to focus almost super-naturally on tasks, multitasking comes easily to such a practitioner, and they might be over-perceptive, noticing things of unimportance regularly. This strengthening also serves to ward the mind against acts of intrusion, if one were to have their mind intruded upon by an outside source, the intruder may have a troubling time navigating and entering the thoughts of the Thaumaturgist.

Examples of what a strengthened mind can do are things such as, reading two books at once, doing two mundane tasks, switching between the two rapidly and not getting confused or keeping track of two conversations at once.

REDLINES:

1: Strengthened Mind is not an excuse to metagame any information, it is simply a flavorful way to focus and complete tasks or situations with high accuracy and or speed.

2: Any ways of accessing the mind of the Thaumaturgist will be met with restrictions, like that of winding tunnels and mazes. This does not mean that accessing the mind is impossible, just harder to accomplish.

PyWZQwUWzErA8NQA5fEJs2oIzSHdZGFByEHHtaiaEUZxIxLhcxbnfLppOHBZ-QzGXL7wDXmuEtTAiKyf3Gdn5vE9TCaqEdMQrsLMWzVtsRaKZ8ZAyzidKtafasb49h5S1aVNI-oX

“The natural world holds far more than meets the eye.”

Teaching

There are two ‘tiers’ of Thaumaturgy, Lesser and Greater, once the student is taught the spells, how they work and how to do them, along with making the FA and having it accepted by the ST, they achieve lesser tier and they stay at that state for 12 OOC weeks, after such advancing to greater tier.

Greater tier gives one the ability to teach others, at a rate of 3 students per every 3 OOC months. One of the greater tier may write a single ST signed self teach book instead of being able to teach students for those months if they wish, it having to have proper contents and the like.

A Student who learns from a self teach book must have the book hoarded within their possession, and not given out to others for the duration of the 12 OOC weeks it takes to reach greater tier, after such they may give the book to another. Students who learn from a self-teaching book learn at the same rate as one taught normally, otherwise the process follows all current self-teaching rules.

Compatibility

Thaumaturgy has few requirements, that being of the ability of self-aware thought and understanding of the material world in some depth, and the ability to speak. A few other restrictions apply

Thaumaturgy is limited to being learned and casted by Descendent and Descendent-equivalent races, such as the 4 main races, along with Kha, Musin, anything that’s not drastically different to a descendant, so no spectre's and or phantasmal beings or animati constructs or machine spirits.

Credits

Written by Titanium430

OG Idea Maker was Norgeth_

Reviewed/looked over by Nivndil, DrHope, Xx_BloodStalk_xX, Spoons, Sorcerio, RiftBlade, Firespirit44.

Thank you all for your help!

Citations 

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/193166-%E2%9C%93-world-lore-the-power-of-thought/

[OOC reasoning for making this lore.]

I made this lore because I wanted to try my hand at creating something that could be used by other players, something I thought would add to the server and the RP Landscape, perhaps an ET could run an event with a more powerful version of it used by an enemy or friendly NPC. I’m not very confident that this will pass MAG and come to pending/have a chance to be accepted since it's my first ever lore piece, but I thought it would be a waste not to try my hand at it.

If anything I will have learned from this for my future writings, perhaps this concept was flawed, or perhaps how I went about implementing it was. What matters in the end is that I tried. - Titanium430

ChangeLog:

2021-06-28: Added clarifications on Self Teaching

based and titanium pilled

1 hour ago, TreeSmoothie said:

Based lore +1

11 minutes ago, Nooblius said:

based and titanium pilled

Thanks!, I appreciate the kind words

its pretty cute. i like how its incredibly lowkey and isn't treated as a "magic."
+1

A simple and flavorful magic! I myself am quite interested in seeing it, and possibly picking it up if possible 

4 minutes ago, King_Kunuk said:

A simple and flavorful magic! I myself am quite interested in seeing it, and possibly picking it up if possible 

We will see if it comes to pending :)

I truly do like this lore! Looks very good. +1

Why not put these spells under housemagery? Elevating some of the normal housemagery spells & writing your own expansions of it with a cultural/role-play view could also work, instead of having a separate feat 

8 hours ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

Why not put these spells under housemagery? Elevating some of the normal housemagery spells & writing your own expansions of it with a cultural/role-play view could also work, instead of having a separate feat 

This was a concern when I started writing the lore, but I thought this was thematically different enough to be its own thing.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.