The Lost Lamb (A long overdue PK post)

QueenGeorge

Spoiler

Passing

It had been thirty years since her passing. A span of years which would’ve marked a major part of her life before was now made meaningless within the realm of the Aspects with its regions of seasons and day until night. 

Unlike many of her Brothers and Sisters when she’d been alive, time was not a luxury she could afford. Had she not come into the Forest of her own will she’d be 151 now, but that couldn’t have happened for a halfling like her. Not unless she’d made the choice like her friends before her to live on not as a halfling, but as a tree. It was not entirely unappealing, but she knew that to live like that had its own costs too. Besides, there were still duties to be done even in death. 

There were many things that she had feared in life, but dying was not one of them. She knew of the balance and what it required. She knew of the open arms of the Grandmother Spider. She knew of the forest that awaited her, and her past kin within it. Death was not the end, it was simply the next step forward.

She took the step when Taynei’hiylu made it peacefully possible. Her small body, never strong to begin with, had begun to fail her already. Her limbs ached, her eyes grew weaker, her once endless energy was being replaced with fatigue. Still, it was on her own strength that she came forward to take that step. She moved on without fear of what was to come.

The Forest

In her life, she had never been worshipful of the Aspects. They were ones to admire, ones to respect, and ones to follow, but she felt no need to worship them. Though it was Cerridwen she felt the most natural kinship too, she did not play favourites. It was that mindset which led her to wander within the domains with equal favour. 

She began in the Dayward Lands which were so full of light, colours, sounds and strange creatures she had never seen in her life before. She listened to the music of Satyroi and Cervitoi, watched the featherfolk soaring through the sky, and found herself moving again with the speed and energy of her youth.

To the Twilight Bound she came next. She smiled upon the Imps with their small size but sharp minds. Sometimes she spied the silvery white of a Unicorn, but she did not approach them. Satisfied with her fortune, she had no need of their blessing and simply saw them as friends to keep an eye out for.

Last came the Nightfall Domain. A home of death and danger, but so beautiful as well. Though unafraid she was not careless as she travelled through it, showing her respect for the Aspect and her children there. For some time she travelled with the Zhuanth, watching how they fulfilled their own role among this wild domain. Walking with them she would come to the ones soon to die. In their final moments, those to pass would do so with the blessing and comfort of this Souldbound Servant.

Even in this death though her duties were not entirely done, but that was something she’d come to accept too and now had come to embrace. In her life she had done what she could, but so often had she been limited by her own abilities and knowledge. She saw how her older Brothers and Sisters grew burdened with greater responsibilities which they took and were worn down by. Though she had wished to help, there was little she could do beyond what she already did. To be simply a small, but welcome presence in the lives of others.

When such others met their times and passed into the Forest, they needed their rest and she saw that. Her duties were not over, in this place, at this time, she could help those others to be at peace. They had long since earned their rest.

So now she had her mission. The duties were not frequent, but those that did present themselves would have her to complete. When the newly passed would arrive, she was soon there. A friendly face to put them at their ease and welcome them to the Forest. Whether she had known them in her life was of little consequence. For a fellow Brother or Sister in need she would always be there.

Memories

In a moment of peace, she now thought of those who still lived and which she had left behind those thirty years ago. Looking back upon the memories she had of her dear friends and family. She remembered how when she was lost and alone, she was welcomed into the Grove and later into the Order and Family she’d become a part of. As she rested, so many things came back to her.

Little Amaryllis, already taller than herself, but so young and eager to become a Dedicant and walk the path of a Druid. One that grew to be a dear friend and Sister. Or how she’d watched Kasfer and Za arm wrestling, with the unfortunate result of Kasfer’s arm exploding into pieces of wood. Layla and Miklaeil who had helped her learn about the Order. Ithuriel who she had thought of as a friend even if she hadn’t shared her feelings. The moot at which she heard of the Ram Druid Jeremiah, who in part then inspired her to become a Druid too.

With Kasfer as her Guide then she’d start along that path. She thought of Viene, her sister dedicant who would be attuned on the same day as she was. Later came what would become her grand task. The voidal bear which attacked the halfling village of Brandybrook, now that was a day when she'd been afraid. Even so she had stayed, she couldn’t allow it to endanger the others and the nature around it as long as she could act. She hadn’t been the one who had slain it, but she played her part in keeping others safe.

As a Druid, she was helped by many and she always tried to help them back. She thought of Dwyn who had helped her make her home there. A cozy place which she made welcoming to others. She found good friends among her Brothers and Sisters such as Kasfer, Harold, Amaryllis, Tailesin, Liri, Ithuriel, Nivndil, Cherry, Elenora, Hareven, Dwyn, Viene, Nenar and more. She might not have known them all the best, but there were so many people which she cared for and loved all the same. The Brothers and Sisters she had stood beside as they fought against the voidal tears that threatened Arcas. 

She thought of Harold who had been with her then a Djinn toyed with the people of Brandybrook. Nenar who had stood against a musical menace that shook the earth and made trees shudder with pain. Nivndil who she had walked with to a meeting she’d not been called to, but herself would be the one that told them the plan which would close one tear with the others soon to follow without her.

Not just the Druids, she thought of the family that she’d been born to as well. The Mother and Father who had loved and raised her. A little brother who she loved even if they’d not seen each other often. There were countless aunts, uncles, and cousins which came in droves for every wedding and party or any other excuse to gather and ear, drink, and be merry. She still loved them all, and missed them all too. Though she would never meet the spirits of her Mother and Father, she wondered curiously if someday she would meet the spirit of a halfling who’d be in awe at meeting their distant cousin so far from home.

There had been so much fun with the fine festivals too. So many from far and wide came to attend. Those there sharing in fun and friendship whether they were family, friend or stranger. Often enough it had been as fun to prepare for such festivities with her friends. It still amused her too just how frequent her stall would sell out swiftly, when any fellow Druid only had to ask to have her products shared for free. The money meant little to her as she used it simply to make things easier and so often gave it away or used it to buy gifts.

In her later years, she had feared that she failed in her duties. With her mind and body weak as they were she could not stand with her fellow Druids against the later Tear and then the Inferi after. So too had she been unsuccessful in her time as a Guide. Even so, she’d been fortunate that her family still had loved and cared for her. She had been quite surprised when Hareven had nominated her as a Hierophant, then even more surprisingly she’d been voted to be accepted as one. It was quite funny and bittersweet she’d thought to herself. While being both the youngest and the newest of them, she was the next of them to die after that. 

Alas, all things come to an end and rightfully so. All the better when such endings had a purpose. So now the halfling stood. She rose onto her feet and stood with her crook in hand as she looked out across the fields and forests before her which were brimming with life. There was work to be done, and a life to live even after death.

She wondered then what her friends and family were still up to. She hoped they were all well and happy, and that when she saw them again that they would have had good lives. When their lives came to an end, hopefully at peace, she’d be there to meet them. To welcome them to the Forest. Whether to show them around, to simply let them rest and be at peace, or anything in between. She wondered then how they remembered her, if they thought of her still as she thought of them now. Oh well, she might not know now, but she had all the time in the world to wait to see them again and share time with them all once more.

In life, she hadn’t thought herself to be a great figure. Nor did she think of herself as one in death. She had never wanted or tried to be one.

There was no legacy to last for centuries. Her name would not be spoken of with great reverence to pass down from parent to child or teacher to student.

Yet that didn’t matter either. 

Her life had been one of simple satisfaction. She strived not for herself, but for the good of others.

Marie was certain that it had been a life worth living.

OOC closure (read and respond!):

Spoiler

So this post has been a long time coming, especially considering it was back in November 2020 when Marie actually died. RP and writing kinda takes a backseat though when you're busy with college and can barely muster the time or energy to log on even once a month.

It's been a strange thing to think about and write about too. Marie wasn't a character I'd had plans for when she was made back in oh... March 2019. From the start she wasn't even the character I expected to play, she was made so I could get used to the server before I I'd start playing the soon to be born child of my friend Drusus's character. From the time I started playing her too I knew she was on a clock. Two years at most was all she'd have, and even though I knew of soul trees I decided she didn't want to be one.

As I started playing her she was so much fun. She was simple and happy, carefree yet curious, and always happy to make new friends. What ambitions she did have weren't planned, but found through roleplay itself. Such spontaneity is part of what I love so much about roleplay. Unforeseen things happen. People grow and change. Serious times become silly and silly become serious.  

Still one of my favourite things about Marie was how many things, entirely by coincidence, resembled or reflected the life of Jeremiah. The character who I had never met and knew nothing about, but at that fateful moot was in part what inspired her to be a Druid. It's fun to joke about how she was secretly the reincarnation of his soul to get to enjoy the peaceful life he missed out on.

Anyway I'm just rambling now. I guess it's because part of me wishes that Marie's story hadn't had to end. That she could've gone on to be some great figure to lead, teach, and inspire others. As appealing as that may be to me, it wasn't in her nature. Marie's ambition was always to help others over herself, and I roleplayed that to be best of my abilities.

I'm really glad I got to play her, and even though she's dead I promise she'd still be thinking about all the friends she got to make and the Order which was her family as much as any others.

If you're still reading at this point. I welcome you to make your response below. 

Did you or your character know Marie, do they still think of her now?

Even if they knew her just in passing, do you have any fond memories of her just as I do?

Maybe you've got some fun screenshots with her you'd like to share!

I'd love to hear and see. I'm really happy to have gotten to play her with you all.

Obligatory art dump:

Spoiler

By Jollybee

PRCOzNn.png0N2qESo.pngd8DVA41.pngEsATyRY.png

By Numirya

Omcx94I.png

By Sybbyl

rM0y6Ne.png

By OhDeerLord

mWaABmd.png

Kasfer sits quietly on a bench.

When Marie passed into the Eternal Forest, abound with life and wonder, guided by the hand of Taynei'hiylu... She and her group had been overlooked by a great, black Ram on distant hills. Its companion sheep were there to welcome them - welcome them home.  Then the Ram only nodded, before rushing off again into the Wilds.
     As Marie welcomed newly passed druids, she'd often see the Ram there too - though it was never close-by. Sometimes, it looked at her with its blazing turquoise eyes, and the lightning around its body subsided. The Ram never stayed to speak, but it seemed calmer, or less intense, whenever it saw her.

Like looking in a mirror of what could have been, and being relieved.

Niv cleared away the plates and cups of a recent dinner at her home, and moved the table and chairs back into place. Releasing a sigh, she remembered sitting at a table in the Talus Grove's tavern, pouring tea for Awaiti and Marie. Her eyes gleamed and the corner of her mouth tugged into a small smile, before stepping down into the kitchen to put a kettle over the fire, and prepared two mugs. Just in case.

A little figure darts about the Garden of Souls. Their footsteps light, almost silent in the lush grass of this area. They move swiftly towards a certain marker. A familiar crook resting atop it. There they sit, back to the stone, murmuring quietly to a friend now past. Squirrels come and go, bringing little gifts which are left by the rock. Time would pass, and the figure leaves.

Those gifts pile up over the  years. The squirrels know this to be a safe place to gather food now, and come to visit often. They're frequently accompanied by that same figure. Always with a gentle word and smile, a light story to share with the Lost Lamb.

Until, one day, it stopped. The squirrels remained frequent visitors. But that little friend wasn't seen for months. Their fluffy friends took to standing guard over the marker, watching out for the Lamb. Waiting Wicker's return with a new tale to tell.