What Is LoTC To You?

Telanir

4 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

I hope we get the Hoo-Kah plugin back.

AMEN

I fine LotC to be an escape from real life, and as a way to explore a world that doesn't exist. A world with Orcs, and Elves, and Necromancers, and Golems, and magic arms, and enchanted blades, and powerful beings. It is a fantasy server for a reason, and I think the fantastical must be allowed to flourish within it.

I joined December 2017, by recommendation from an old friend.

My first character was my snow elf Estelle who joined the human city of Arbor and after that the Princedom of Fenn in the ATLAS map!

at first i was quite suspicious of the server and was quite nervous about interacting with people :’).. i think that went on till december 2019 if i am quite honest, not the most subtle person out there. 

As time went on i made some friends on here who i will probably be remembering for alot more time to come, I thank LOTC for the great memories, friendships, random knowledge, improving my vocabulary and  being so patient with me.

LOTC has given me some of the best memories of MC i have to this date, and shout out to the Snelves for having 2 years of patience with my incredible non existent social skills and learning me the art of rp. 

And to Callum, i still do not forgive you for downing me everytime i went AFK. I will get my revenge someday, sleep with one eye open.

Let’s go for alot more years, shall we?

I personally joined this server when I was, but a child still back in 2014.  Truly enthralled in what it meant to Role Play for the first time.  Over the course of the years I met remarkable friends, ones who are still my friends today.  I went through some extremely hard times during 2019 and 2020 and never logged on really except to say Hello a few times for, but a moment.  When all seemed lost and the light grew faint I looked to LoTC once more and there I found a place I could be happy again.  Not just because of the game it's self or the lore.  But because of the community and the amazing support everyone endlessly shows. 

I love LoTC and I always will.  It means a lot to me and sometimes everything when I have nothing else.

LOTC: how does one describe such a thing?

It is much more than a Minecraft server, or even a roleplaying game. It is, rather, a community, set out to tell a tale, a tale so complex and diverse that it is often different for each tongue who tells it. It is a story not composed by a single author, nor a novel scribbled down by a familiar hand, but rather, a composition of many, each having placed their own unique mark upon the vast pages of the server's history. Whether one has poured in only a handful of hours, or perhaps their entire heart and soul, everything that LOTC is now today, both good and bad, is the ultimate result of those investments. No matter the increment, there is, in every interaction, the opportunity to expand upon that tale. 

Some may choose rebuke and disclaim that notion, whereas others may falsely appraise it, granting it virtues it does not hold. And still, some may not truly understand the role they've yet to play. But though the server has many problems, I believe its merits are far outweigh its vices. For the past ten years, LOTC has allowed the creation of many stories within a singular world, building upon each tale told over a decade of storytelling. And despite all its flaws and maladies, I believe it still holds true to that mission, and will continue to carry it through. Only when it no longer holds that sentiment will LOTC ever truly perish.

Maybe that is a bold and delusional claim, perhaps one too bold for one who has spent so short a time on the server. But in the three brief years I've spent here, I have found LOTC to be everything I have said, if not more. It is a unique experience in which we can all share. No, it's is not perfect and has many flaws. Players fight, quarrel, and all engage in all variety of vile things. Seldom do they agree on anything, nor do they have the same goal, but that is simply the reality of human nature. And it is upon that which this community has thrived. 

LOTC has lasted this long, not because it sought to create something that did not yet exist, but instead drew upon the innate creative desire of the human mind. It allows each person who joins to enter a world in which their mind may run free, and they may influence its ultimate course. That, I find, is the ultimate beauty which LOTC holds, because calls to each player to make something of it, whether new or old, for good or ill.

And in the end, no matter how their tale is told, every player does come to tell one.

A love hate and ever so slightly abusive relationship. 

To define the emotional connection I have with this den of losers and degenerates is a difficult prospect but I hope yall will bear with me.

When I joined back in 2015 I was as lost and confused as any other new player. I made a high elf character and came to Haelun'or figuring I could just log on and find a telekinesis teacher. In fact, I think buried in the archives somewhere is my first rp post where I ask for someone to be my teacher lol. After a while I left Hae'lunor after not really gelling with the community and made an orc named Moreg.

Moreg started off as a dedicant in the Druidic Grove where he met another dedicant named Oliver, and the two got along spectacularly. Oliver would teach Moreg how to read and write while Moreg would teach Oliver what little knowledge of orcish culture I knew at the time. This was the first time I truly felt attached to my character and the characters I was interacting with, as well as the first time I felt a sense of community from the people behind the characters. Moreg had plenty of amazing experiences with the Druids, such as hosting a therapeutic smoke sesh with another dedicant after the death of their wife, but after some time it began to feel as if the cliques higher up didnt really want me there. So I left.

When I finally came to the Uzg I immediately felt as if I found the community I was looking for. I showed up at the camp just as the orcs were preparing for a hunt, and Moreg killed his first boar before descending on their proper target, the Scaddernak. All the while, the other orcs were guiding me on how to properly do combat roleplay and helping me with blah. When we got back to camp with our haul, we had a proper feast and Pok invited me to his clan and gave a link to the teamspeak/skype. Up until then I hadnt even used either of these, so my interactions with the community were reserved for ooc only. Suffice to say, this was a game changer. I would try and hop onto the server as soon as possible to hang out on teamspeak and chat about orc lore/history or politics or just what was happening with our lives. It was a proper brotherhood, one I was proud to be apart of. Contrary to popular belief, orcs weren't always a community of pvp obsessed goons and racist assholes. Hell we still aren't.

And ultimately, that's what LotC is. It's a brotherhood of like-minded individuals who can share in eachother's pain and create something amazing to escape into, even for just an hour or two. If we are even a tenth as awful a community as we think we are, none of us would still be here. Screw the staff and **** the admins, LotC is what every single player makes of it.

Edited by Vilebranch

It's a big collaborative writing project!

LotC to me is an influence unique to others. A sense of community, immersion and fun never fails to overtake me whenever I'm playing. A creative outlet as others have said, and of course a place where I have made many many friends who I talk to regardless of if I'm active or not. Thanks LotC :D I can't put much else into words

I joined LOTC way back in 2015. Almost immediately scrapped the character I applied with, and created Ro'ya Winterleaf, whom I play to this day. 

Despite taking a 4-ish year hiatus and only returning about 3 months ago, the server was and still is, somewhat of a home. And while the server definitely has its imperfections, with both the design and some players, I've met some of the greatest people I've ever known and life-long friends through LOTC and I wouldn't change it for the world.

right thats enough cringe for today

As insignificant I  am to the LOTC community, I've hung around for around 9 years. As much as I jokingly talk about how i'm miserable in this server, in reality it helped me through a lot of IRL ****. It was an amazing escape from reality and a place where I met many life long friends.

Dingo please don't take my items away from me.

I got away from orcs trying to enslave me by dancing. They caught me traveling on the road out to deliver a piano. I asked if there is any way they could let me go. He said "dance.". So I danced rolling a 7 out of 20. He then said "dance faster!" I did and rolled 20 out of 20. I danced so fast and well the orc let me go.

While I am new to the serve compared to other people (having only been here for 6 months), I think LotC to me is a place where I can work with others to not just write, but be apart of interesting stories that can form and develop. Where ideas can be put onto paper and used if they can contribute to the story.

However, I hear a lot of jaded opinions from other people. Some say that lore team has jaded the meaning of LotC by devolving lore, some say they have not. In the end, LotC to me is just an adventure that I want to have an experience with, write lore, and enjoy myself. This is a community based upon a grand fantasy setting where diffrent races, magics, and gods interact. As someone once told me (good words from sorcerio): Lord of the Craft is not driven by the Story Team, Moderation Team, or Admin Team. It is driven by the player base as a whole. It is up to everyone to try and make a story, to bring about new and exciting roleplay, rather then simply being up to a few people who have just as much time as the rest of us. Staff Teams are not inhuman writers!

Thus, in the end, my opinion of LotC is just to have fun. Write things, see them get shut down, accepted, and move on. To put enjoyment behind all you to, and excel at the ideals that everyone has a chance to be a good roleplayer if given enough time.