Dwarven Story: The Trial of Acacios Frostbeard

Dwarven Story: The Trial of Acacios Frostbeard

~By Baldin 'Ironside' Frostbeard

q9BEpicICH58XbFJZP8k1X6OZK6LbEyFHIfGCPReqgaMCcTYDg8XDelLMrx-sTGBfu6FiHmcaMDDzPOY24OEsUuPe5kAPUlvMWxduBYgsjhkMQzUv_C0yipFiCyyF_zLQ97UHFKf
[!] Depiction of Acacios Frostbeard.

A long time ago in the powerful city of New Jornheim there lived a young dwarf named Acacios Frostbeard. The beardling dwarf had just turned 100 years old and the time had come for him to be tested. Tested through his people’s ancestral trial, a trial meant to show his clan members through skills and will he is willing and able to serve the clan and his kin, in honor to his ancestors. He was to be sent to the cold mountains to be left there and hopefully come back with a trophy that will impress his clan brothers. Acacios’ family was not a rich family within the clan, however, they did work closely with more powerful families and at times gained their favor. Through the connection to these other families Acacios became friends with a slave of Edel Frostbeard’s family. The slave was a halfling called Erik Leafhair. Despite the circumstances Erik cared about Acacios and believed him to be an outstanding individual, and hence did not wish any ill will towards him despite his own situation. Erik and Acacios met before the departure into the mountain.

“Acacious, I found your axe in the armory.” shouted Erik Towards his dwarven friend. 

Acacious noticed the halfling calling him and soon came towards him to retrieve his axe.

“Thank you, I was looking for it.” as Acacios thanked Erik he took his axe looking at it.

It was the axe of his father and his father’s father. An axe that for generations had been used for the same trial as he was going to go through. He felt he had to find a beast that would be as big or greater to the ones his ancestors defeated. With the weight of surpassing his predecessors on his shoulders Acacious started to feel great anxiety. 

He looked at Acacious and thanked him “I appreciate your work Erik” he said. “But I cannot stay here, I need to meet my father and mother before I leave.” Acacious waited for Erik to complain about missing his friend for such a long time, but he said nothing, just nodded in acceptance.

Acacios went to the shrine of Wyrvun on the tallest peak on the mounts surrounding the city, he knew that his parents must be there giving tribute in exchange for safe passage for him across the mountains. His father was on his knees with some gems that had been placed at the feet of a sculpture of a drake, one of the ways Wyrvun was depicted. His mother was sitting on a stone  close by asking the brathmordakin to bless a shield she had on her lap. As soon as he got close enough for his footsteps to be heard crushing the snow his father stood up. He seized Acacious by the shoulders and looked at his son in the eyes. His face was badly damaged from a lifetime of battles fought for the glory of the Frostbeards, despite that his satisfaction could clearly be seen in his blue eyes. The mother also stood up with the shield leaving it next to her husband. With a stern face she said that she will miss her son, as if it were the last time she would see him.

Abit offended at the assumption that he will be killed in his trials Acacios opened his mouth to counter his mother’s words. However, he was interrupted by his father who handed him the shield. “Thes shield es enchanted, as long as ye carry et weather ye our family’s luck will follow ye. May tha Brathmordakin guide ye mi son, may Wyrvun grant ye safe passage.”

Grabbing the shield the young dwarf banged his head against his father’s as a sign of appreciation. “I will be back father, I will be back and make our family proud.” As this was said he said goodbye to his mother once more and then departed.

1AEZDN1wwY2-MlKXcFqCS09oYJ3BOwcgLBk_6urIhQpAFJbCMOj2c2JiXB3yVOqbx3qE6zBTnS-80g2YmTcdP0QOJuhvaegqyYw4o3SoKlkNSvqxNEMoUEO8Bg5YM_HnJMdwyIF1
[!] Depiction of the  Acacious walking towards the shrine of Wyrvun.

Acacious was led by an Elder of the clan across the mountains as is tradition. Eventually when Acacious got used to the rhythm of the hike he looked around to find the elder who watched over his travel but could not find him. The trial had started and the Elder had ditched him to fend for himself. The young dwarf felt alone, more alone than he had ever felt. The cold of the snow was penetrating through his leather boots stabbing his feet, and the wind fought back any movement he attempted to make to continue his way. Suddenly, he heard the sound of a branch snapping behind him. Without hesitation he turned around and threw his axe towards the direction of the snap. The sound of a body falling to the ground was heard and then the voice of his friend Erik. The dwarf rushed towards the sound to check he did not just kill his friend.

Thankfully when he got there he noticed Erik seating down in shock. Acacious look at him and then around, that is when he noticed his axe embedded in the skull of one of Edel’s ponies. “I stole it from my master” said Erik as he tried to catch his breath. “I figured that I could follow you in your task and make sure you don't get killed. I didn't mean to scare you.” Acacio felt honored to have such a kind friend, but at the same time he was angered that Erik would get in the way of such an important trial. Nonetheless, it was getting dark and at that moment their survival was more important than pride.

Both of them chopped the pony into pieces and started walking together. After an hour of walking against the snowy wind the pair found a cave where they could rest. There they set up a fire and Erik started cooking some of the pony. They filled themselves up with the roasted pony and soon went to sleep. Erik tried to converse with Acacious about the senselessness of the trials but Acacio would not hear any of it and told him to go to sleep. 

During the night they could hear noises coming from inside the cave. They tried to ignore it but eventually the sounds started to seem closer and closer. Eventually, the sound of crushing bones could be heard where the two had left the remains of the pony.  Acacios took his axe and rose from his sleep, as his eyes adjusted to the shadows the shape of a bear could more clearly be seen. It was a bear as dark as the shadows and if it were not for the light of the moon it would have looked like a shadow demon. Acacious woke up Erik telling him to leave the cave.

As soon as the bear noticed the two of the it stood up roaring towards them. The thunderous voice of the bear was amplified by the cave making the Acacious ears and heart tremble. Erik turned his back and ran towards the outside, without hesitance the bear followed. In that instant when Acacious noticed the bear’s intentions he leaped on the back of the bear and plunged his axe on the bear’s shoulder. To the dwarf’s surprise it did not stop the creature and now he was hanging for dear life to his axe which was in turn stuck to the bear’s shoulder plate. The bear tried to bite at the halfling, however, through luck the halfling was able to dodge the bite, stumbling to the ground and starting to roll down the snowy mountain until the bear could not see him any more.

Acacios released the axe and swiftly dismounted the bear returning into the cave. There he took hold of the shield his parents had given him. As soon as he placed his hands on the grip runes appeared on the shield. They shone bright red. The bear turned around and started pacing towards the light emitted by the runes. As soon as the bear was close enough to the shield, runes appeared on the axe on the bear’s back. It looked like ambers had been placed in the shape of runes on the axe, and sure enough after a second a bright flame started to come from the runes coating the axehead in flames and torching the bear. 

While the bear was being burned alive Acacios tried to find safe cover from its freenzie. This was to no avail as the bear was soon too close to dodge. The bear slapped the dwarf with his massive paws sending him flying across the cave and into its walls. With multiple fractures and part of his body clawed by the bear Acacios could feel his consciousness leaving him. The last thing he saw at that moment was the bear soon dying from the  flames.

TXLFskHmXTJ2WWKWgYBoUK4DZkRbgZ6FvfFJNGF1FXXB8MrJFIBMELVcHzqEiKA7g7LlwGyeztdZpaHETo0Dgrjktwdp3q3gGMdlGLiGmMew-nYobJUBLQFq6XC5Tsrifl5Uxpku

[!] Depiction of the burning bear.

When he opened his eyes again he noticed he was on a wagon, and a heavily beaten up Erik was setting next to him. “Whot ar we doing ‘ere? Is this Kaz’A’Dentrumm?” Asked Acacios. Erik just smiled at him. “I doubt your gods would grant me such honors, no. We are alive. A Goldhand caravan found me on the edge of the road and helped me. Once I woke up I led them to you.” Acacios smiled at his friend at looked at the front of the caravan, there he saw a blond dwarf holding the reigns, the dwarf just looked back for a second at Acacios and nodded as he turned his eyes back to the road.

After a couple of hours the pair returned to New Jornheim beaten and with the taste of defeat in their mouths. Acacio dragged his feet as he walked towards the clan hall not wanting to face the shame of failure. When he entered the hall he could see the elders of the clan alongside his parents. The young dwarf looked down in shame as he was called forth.

“Acacio Frostbeard.” said one of the Elders, “you come without the ‘ide?” Acacio shaked his head at the question “I passed out before I could  have the chance.” as he answered the Elders discussed between themselves. Eventually the elder that took him across the mountain came forth and unveiled the hide of a hairless bear. “A’ ‘ave been watchin ye lad. Et wes quite tha interesting show ye gave.” The elder placed the skin of the bear on Acacio’s shoulders. “Ye ar net a soldier tha es for sure.” hed state, Acacio’s heart would sink in shame. 

“However,” continued the Elder “ye ‘ave shown bravery and tha the Brathmordakin favor you, ef tha wer net tha case tha bear would ef killed ye. Instead Yemekar willed it tha the bear wes defeated by ye. An so as yer observer en thes trial, a’ declare tha ye ‘ave passed yer trial.” Acacious stood up with his bald bear skin. He was happy. The clan elders started to cheer for him. He looked at his parents and he could see his father smile, and then he saw that for the first time in her life his mother was crying out of joy.

HXpPs-hlqGMuh4F4_wCIWzA7g7QwDUyblv_3PR0zXwakd4A_WI3bThPxr8Yfv10xMn2-8FXGL1T_VltOAvO57qTqXtgc4HtB4WFBaOfzp1yj0wn7A5FscMXGzvlVT6MxNOuu6RsN
[!]Depiction of Elder Frostbeards judging the results of the Trial.