[✗] [Lore Amendment] - The Alchemic Fault

Sorcerio

The Alchemic Fault

Tales are often told of magicians who dare to dabble in material philosophy; an art antithetical to their arcane craft by its very nature. This polarity amongst the alchemic and the arcane yields many perplexities, yet the greatest and most notable among them is the volatility of alchemic imbibements when exposed in close proximity to a voidal connection of any sort. 

The general concept of this is simple:

Should a voidal connection of any sort come within one meter of a potion, be that a connected mage or other source of voidal energy, the potion would be made to fizzle out and be rendered inert. This does vary significantly depending on the inherent volatility of the potion in question, for while an illuminating flask may simply sputter and lose its glow upon meeting voidal energies, a will’o wisp may suddenly combust in a furious rage, inflicting grievous, if not deadly wounds to the haphazard alchemist. This makes it nigh impossible for mages to carry potions on themselves should they hope to cast voidal magic in the same encounter, lest they otherwise risk injury or even death.

This effect is far more profound should the alchemical solution be brought into a region of intense voidal energy, such as a rift, tear, or other such anomaly. Potions that enter the immediate radius of a voidal tear or obelisk will be rendered inert, though the passive radius of such objects would not cause any harm. 

Additionally, those who would be so mad as to dabble in both the voidal and the material would be made to suffer from great confusion upon attempting to learn alchemy. Those who have established an adept voidal connection, or anything higher, will find an additional time and study required to adequately understand basic alchemy 

In brief, the proposed changes are as follows:

• Any voidal connection, directly combative enchantment (such as a fire projectile ring, etc.), or attack activated within one meter of an alchemic potion will either fizzle out or combust depending on the natural volatility of the potion. Mages will not be able to cast should they have potions on their person in the same encounter.
  • Damage caused to the wielder of the potion can be anywhere from benign zaps of static energy to fatal explosions of whatever element the potion is made of. This cannot be weaponized by magi as the explosion occurs almost instantaneously following connection.
  • Mages who practice Arcane magic should RP the learning of alchemy as being more difficult to grasp due to the fact that they are trying to directly practice due to the polarity of arts. This is more so flavorful than mechanically capped.

Note that this only applies to regular alchemic potions, not other sub-branches of alchemy unless stated otherwise.

Spoiler

This is a rather simple amendment meant to give alchemy more concrete countering in both events and player interaction, rather than it simply being an end-all potion throwing feat that one can choose to pick up alongside their other five slots of combat magic. 

This just seems kind of dumb as it would kick every alchemist out of Ando, nerf alchemy and give the void (A common group of magic) more power. The paladins are already weak to the void and this gets rid of their counter to that.

Seems like a heavy-handed solution to players min-maxxing.

Edit: After some reflection, I realise that I don't really care either way. It seems a strange place to start combatting min-maxxing on the server, unless I'm very fortunate to have not been faced with Voistalker screechers throwing fireballs and alchemy. That said, unless you're going to mechanically change how quickly a Voidal user can learn alchemy, it seems a bit redundant to require them to roleplay an innate difficulty. How many people really roleplay any difficulty picking up Alchemy as is?

3 minutes ago, JustGrim said:

This just seems kind of dumb as it would kick every alchemist out of Ando, nerf alchemy and give the void (A common group of magic) more power. The paladins are already weak to the void and this gets rid of their counter to that.

I can probably change the region radius since it's not meant to be region-wide cancellation. I'll also probs change the effect radius to 1 meter. The main idea is to prevent mages from using both these and their magic in the same encounter without some degree of added risk, not to mention that it doesn't make a lot of sense to either way. It's meant to prevent magic stacking, not make alchemy weaker.

1 minute ago, Sorcerio said:

I can probably change the region radius since it's not meant to be region-wide cancellation. I'll also probs change the effect radius to 1 meter. The main idea is to prevent mages from using both these and their magic in the same encounter without some degree of added risk, not to mention that it doesn't make a lot of sense to either way.

That sounds fine to me, my worry is simply that if I carry potions on me and a voidal mage casts too close to me all of a sudden all my potions are useless. A 1 meter radius sounds fine, along with the change in region radius.

If the radius is shortened to either 1block or literal actual touch from the connected mage (aside from the effects caused by a tear and the likes), I wouldn't see any problem with it. Lowk, it'd bring more dynamic and sustenance to both alchemists and void mages.

2 minutes ago, JustGrim said:

That sounds fine to me, my worry is simply that if I carry potions on me and a voidal mage casts too close to me all of a sudden all my potions are useless. A 1 meter radius sounds fine, along with the change in region radius.

Should be fixed now. 

This also only seems to be centered on voidal mages.  You still have your dark mages who do not need the void to cast their magics, or deific mages as well.  So what stops those other groups from carrying potions as well and using their magic?

1 minute ago, Faewilds said:

This also only seems to be centered on voidal mages.  You still have your dark mages who do not need the void to cast their magics, or deific mages as well.  So what stops those other groups from carrying potions as well and using their magic?

The purpose is primarily as a result of both making lore sense and preventing a common form of minmaxing. Though there are instances of other such groups doing what you've described, I've yet to find an adequate means of actually explaining the incompatibility to the same extend as I have here. 

the only alchemic fault is you, sorcerio

1+

This aint it chief

edit: personally I am just opposed to forcing a divide in lore which would only encourage cliquey behavior and prevent the intermixing of lore groups. people will always find a way to minmax, this doesnt make sense in the loreverse imo and doesn't add anything, only takes away from rp

Pure ooga, goes against years of precedent, makes 0 sense. 

tbf this does actually make sense in the 'lore-verse' with whats been established with the material alphabet.

The idea of the immaterial (the void) being stable and allowed near things that are innately made of the purest form of the material plane is something that can be confusing sometimes and what this amendment does is something that does make sense.

1 hour ago, JustGrim said:

this

alchemy has already been leashed a lot over the years (with good reason, save for having to emote by yourself to make a potion)

This is a good idea for red oil and smoggers, since such creations are pretty powerful and unique on the server and would be WAY too powerful with void magic combined with it

but having every potion be affected by someone connecting to the void is just pointlessly weakening alchemy further and will only cause more headaches in conflict RP when potions are used against void mages