[✗] [Lore Amendment] - The Alchemic Fault

Sorcerio

Are we playing Arcanum now? Gonna have animii explode when mages conjure their morning tea?

All jokes aside, seems like a heavy nerf to slap onto alchemy. I can see mages abusing this to just insta-benign an entire array of potions, or even using this to cancel out a potion that is thrown at them. Making alchemical applications impossible with voidally enchanted objects makes sense, but this seems a bit too much.

Not to mention, it’s not like void mages gain some inherent knowledge of moonspeech or the immaterium. The material alphabet doesn’t get harder to understand, nor does it make sense to make void mages learn it at a slower pace- unless they’re learning void magic at the same time.

Long have I awaited for the cosmic forces to rebound upon themselves and form common logic; something seldom found...

This lore piece properly affirms the largely ignored concept of the void being antithetical to the material, even if some of the mechanics may be somewhat questionable. The latter point is the only quarrel I have.

3 minutes ago, ScreamingDingo said:

near things that are innately made of the purest form of the material plane

I mean youre the big lore man but I've never felt like alchemy was actually the "purest form" of the material plane. Its literally just mashing plants and **** together. And, the material alphabet insinuates that everything in the material world is made up of these symbols, and that some stuff is just more potent. Why would Void magic just make the ones that are mixed together in a very specific way explode? Steel is a mix of items that likely possess these same symbols, but Void magic doesnt make it explode. I get where you're coming from but it just seems like a really ultra specific thing that wasn't entirely thought out. I appreciate that it's an attempt to solve a problem but I think it's overshot a bit and needs to be way more refined

this is cool, but aren't there reagents that grow near voidal heaths and have weird void-y effects to them even when picked?

Just now, ShannonLeigh said:

I mean youre the big lore man but I've never felt like alchemy was actually the "purest form" of the material plane. Its literally just mashing plants and **** together. And, the material alphabet insinuates that everything in the material world is made up of these symbols, and that some stuff is just more potent. Why would Void magic just make the ones that are mixed together in a very specific way explode? Steel is a mix of items that likely possess these same symbols, but Void magic doesnt make it explode. I get where you're coming from but it just seems like a really ultra specific thing that wasn't entirely thought out. I appreciate that it's an attempt to solve a problem but I think it's overshot a bit and needs to be way more refined

Yeah I definitely agree, but the basis isn't like outlandish. I think this is a hilarious amendment but something that could be genuinely built upon to not just be a balance patch

1 minute ago, ShannonLeigh said:

Its literally just mashing plants and **** together

nothing more ignorant has been said

Just now, Nozoa said:

ngl there isn't any rules preventing alchemists from rping as cartoon witches that toss symbols into a big ol' mixing pot and making a potion 

2 minutes ago, ShannonLeigh said:

I'm totally down to amend this, though the main idea is really just to prevent mages from going in guns-blazing with both their magic and like an entire arsenal of like 10+ potions. Not to mention, alchemy as it stands has little consequence at all for basically magic-tier versatility, which makes it even more viable for magic stacking. Besides, regular alchemists are relatively unaffected by this, and mages can still use alchemy, just not in tandem with their spellcasting. 

Just now, Nozoa said:

Unnecessary and unhelpful comment. Alchemy is little more than mixing together dried plant bits and doing so with a greater understanding of the material alphabet. It's incredibly simple and people pretending it isn't is just trying to perpetuate dumb circlejerks by people who don't want to share 

3 minutes ago, ShannonLeigh said:

Unnecessary and unhelpful comment. Alchemy is little more than mixing together dried plant bits and doing so with a greater understanding of the material alphabet. It's incredibly simple and people pretending it isn't is just trying to perpetuate dumb circlejerks by people who don't want to share 

objectively false, you're practicing herbalism. Alchemy is the study of the material plane (natural philosophy), it is not the plants that give you the potion, its the symbols deducted from said plants. And you can do much more with alchemy roleplay than make potions and screw around with herbs. Besides, it can be applied to a plethora of aesthetics and niches within itself.

Edited by Nozoa

1 minute ago, Sorcerio said:

I'm totally down to amend this, though the main idea is really just to prevent mages from going in guns-blazing with both their magic and like an entire arsenal of like 10+ potions. Not to mention, alchemy as it stands has little consequence at all for basically magic-tier versatility, which makes it even more viable for magic stacking. Besides, regular alchemists are relatively unaffected by this, and mages can still use alchemy, just not in tandem with their spellcasting. 

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why you wrote this and the place you're coming from. I also think it makes sense that Void stuff and the material should not play nice together. I just think it needs to be more refined, with significantly more detail and thought put into the intricacies of it. I don't like this blanket statement of "Void makes alchemy go boom." Both lore pieces are way more intricate than that and deserve more of an explanation as to exactly why and how this would happen

1 minute ago, Nozoa said:

objectively false, you're practicing herbalism. Alchemy is the study of the material plane (natural philosophy), it is not the plants that give you the potion, its the symbols deducted from said plants. And you can do much more with alchemy roleplay than make potions and screw around with herbs.

stop mansplaining alchemy to me you absolute troglodyte 

6 minutes ago, ShannonLeigh said:

yes yes, resort to insults once you've been proven wrong

Edited by Nozoa

Just now, Nozoa said:

yes yes, resort to insults once you've been proved wrong

you literally insulted her first, chill tf out and let there be a discussion

I'm a smooth brain who uses potions but doesn't make them:

1. Does this mean magical connections short circuit or do the potions themselves explode?
  2. What happens if I throw a potion at a mage, do they lose their connection? If I stand near them, do they lose their connection?
  3. I've no clue how mana is extracted but would this affect the production of Auric Oil?

Edited by Letharian

5 minutes ago, ShannonLeigh said:

I'm all for arguments but this is a bit much - you both have different ideas on alchemy. Though that is to both of you and Noz - we need actually conversation amongst us who practice alchemy.