“Poll” for Transfigurationists: Warding and Abjuration

IsaaKc

very informal post but I wanted to just reach out to any active Transfigurationists and ask if you’d say you actively use Warding/Abjuration in its current form under the currently implemented lore and if find it to be an enjoyable and necessary part of tfig. Additionally, if you do use it, in what contexts do you roleplay it?

I would make this a poll but I know it’ll get fudged by the squakhawk secret police (real)

Remove both from transfig and make it a 1 slot magic I beg of you

Never used abjuration or warding, I would say either split the two sections of Tfig and Abjuration into two separate magics or just rw them both.

Have never used it, and I agree with making Transfig one slot

Shared sentiments with those above. Warding and abjuration is something that has frankly been out-of-place and useless for transfiguration as a magic. As something poised as a means of antimagic and the arguable pinnacle of magical mastery it's very underwhelming in what it can do.

The only solution I see with the subtype is either buffing, outright removal or expanding upon it greatly to expand capabilities and make it a one slot magic on its own as a further allocation to a one slot transfiguration.

Just now, Johann said:

Shared sentiments with those above. Warding and abjuration is something that has frankly been out-of-place and useless for transfiguration as a magic. As someone poised as a means of antimagic and the arguable pinnacle of magical mastery it's very underwhelming in what it can do.

Yeah what he said

Gonna be honest, the idea of abjuration and warding are good on paper, but in practice they are rarely used

for one, they can only be used on void magics you know (save for abjuration which can be used on any enchantment). This very limited tool set makes the magic already, never used and makes Tfig feel useless as a 2 slot void magic as the part that defines the 2nd slot is never used.

One would think a Void Mage would be able to abjure any form of void magic with such spells due to them being unable to interact with deity/dark magics unless in the most specific situations, but they don't. The solution is good, but bad as I can see the reason for the balance towards it. Though with how void mage 'duels' work, it is often the person who can cast their spell first.

a good fix would be to lessen the emote count for abjuration and warding, or allow the mage to be used in a more 'reactive' single emote type method similar to how Brisk Step works. Though removing them and making them their own defined void magic (ether by some form of feat or a slot magic), and making TFig into a one slot magic would also make TFig a bit less of a 'you need this magic to be a void mage' magic.

I like the idea of warding and abjuration and I like having the ability to use it, but I can't say I very often do at all. Would be nice to see it made a feat or expanded upon/rewritten somehow as I definitely wouldn't like to lose the ability entirely. I was confused as to why people would want it removed when initially reading but having Transfig back to a 1 slot in exchange for warding/abjuration is absolutely a trade I'd be willing to make with how infrequently it is used, seems like a common trend among the other people here as well, it's just not worth it.

I wouldn't mind seeing a form of Domestic Magic as we had before house-magery with something like warding/abjuration mixed in, taking more a form of a generalized set of skills that mages can access anywhere by default alongside their magic (After being taught how to do them of course). Simple things like being able to float a cup toward you, make dishes wash themselves or a broom sweep the floor, simple things that don't do much really beyond flavor, but that it would make sense for a mage to be capable of. Although that might seem op going from basically holding a magic slot to being free for all mages, I don't know if it really is given how infrequently it's used, and probably wouldn't be used anymore frequently if you gave it to all mages as an innate ability they have access to like circling rituals for example.

14 minutes ago, z3m0s said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a form of Domestic Magic as we had before house-magery with something like warding/abjuration mixed in, taking more a form of a generalized set of skills that mages can access anywhere by default alongside their magic (After being taught how to do them of course). Simple things like being able to float a cup toward you, make dishes wash themselves or a broom sweep the floor, simple things that don't do much really beyond flavor, but that it would make sense for a mage to be capable of. Although that might seem op going from basically holding a magic slot to being free for all mages, I don't know if it really is given how infrequently it's used, and probably wouldn't be used anymore frequently if you gave it to all mages as an innate ability they have access to like circling rituals for example.

This is a whole different issue with house magic taking up a slot which just shouldn't.

5 minutes ago, NLThomas said:

This is a whole different issue with house magic taking up a slot which just shouldn't.

Well I think House-magery now is a totally different thing. But I brought it up to propose a new generalized set of abilities for mages with the addition of warding/abjuration either mixed in or added generally 💁‍♂️

haven't ever used abjuration or warding, i can see it being useful in very specific situations but other than that it's generally unused

I use warding all the time to create dummies for arcane target practice and safe dueling rings. I think it definitely has its uses but they do end up being very niche, unless being used to set up anti-magic barriers or participate in mage’s duels. 

That being said, I personally don’t see any reason to remove warding from transfig because it wouldn’t really fit anywhere else. The only realistic alternative that I can see would be to just link warding / abjuration into voidal magic as a whole, able to be performed by anyone who has the specific knowledge of the magic at hand.

A one slot magic entailing only the use of warding / abjuration would likely lead to the art falling out of practice, thus why I believe it is best included beneath transfiguration’s umbrella if such isn’t an option. 

As well, I had always believed that transfiguration was two slotted due to transmutation and alteration falling under the archetype. And I think it would be a mistake to decouple warding / abjuration from transfiguration as the alternatives would lead to it either being too widespread or lead to the art’s practical extinction. If push came to shove between the two however, the former would be my personal preference, though that's just my take.

6 hours ago, NLThomas said:

Remove both from transfig and make it a 1 slot magic I beg of you

^ Hit the nail right on the head. I haven't used this since the new rewrite with its limitations and requirements. Please remove both and go to the one slot.

20 hours ago, AndrewTech said:

That being said, I personally don’t see any reason to remove warding from transfig because it wouldn’t really fit anywhere else. The only realistic alternative that I can see would be to just link warding / abjuration into voidal magic as a whole, able to be performed by anyone who has the specific knowledge of the magic at hand.

I actually think this is probably one of the best fixes I have ever read. The idea that you are able to easily counter magic you yourself know with abjuration/warding makes sense, and I can feel it slowly come into a more used setting as mages would counter act with each other based upon what evocation they use.

The only instance where abjuration/warding tho would be used on enchantments would be if the user knowsn Tfig themselves and can understand enchantments.

plus, with most of TFig being largely a mechanical tool for mages, and being a very much needed magic in order to do roughly 2/3rds of the rituals mages have to do (IE: make mana obelisks), allowing for that 2nd slot to be filled with an additional magic will allow for mages to be way more diverse then what they already are, which I feel is what Void Mage should be. A diverse tool set where no two mages are theoretically the same, all preferring their own unique tool set an arsenal of spells and magics