A Denouncment of the Bloodthirst Kingdom - Norland

Pakkleaf

Absolon de Astrea reads over the missive placed on his desk rather quickly, he pinches the bridge of his nose as he rests in front of the fire. "Ah damn shame teh be defined by two mishappenin's." he shakes his head, going to tell a story to his new grandchildren that were so young they'd never understand. "Aye, theh rangers may ave' had ah couple ah hiccups ehn their term as military. Such as defendin' theh ambassador ah urguan or stoppin' varhelm from takin' theh magic mirror no one but us knew more abou' at theh time." He looks to Acadia and Anya as they babble in nothingness with the inability to comprehend what he was saying, he leans back in the chair, continuing his system of venting by starting another story. "Although, eh'll tell yeh what they rangers did do. We supported norlan' fer years in theh beginnin's of Almaris. All while theh rangers were fresh an' new. Durin' theh war with oren, we built ah wall fer ourselves in jus' ah month teh defend our own in theh time a massacre happened ehn Elysium. We continued teh battle it out an' try our best fer norland, workin' effortlessly day an' night teh protect our home. When theh time for warclaims 'appened. We made theh majority of Norland's rally, givin' in nothin' but our best fer Norland and theh place we were able teh call home. Maybe thin's woulda turned out different if theh past kings or keepers 'ad been around more teh pass theh influence beyond Varhelm." he sighs, reaching to his hot cocoa that he only took the pleasure of drinking sometimes. "Ah damn shame fer us teh be painted here an' stripped away fer our ability teh uphold theh law when what we ave' done heavily outweighs theh mistakes thah were made." he shrugs, slouching back in the chair oncemore as his rickety old spine releases a few cracks. "Thirty two years, servin' norland, and theh group I've worked tirelessly weth many others teh make an' maintain continues teh be discredited, no matter what we do our overwhelmin' good'll never outweigh theh miniscule bad. Theh people outside ah Norlan' thinkin things like this abou' us. What has theh world come to, what type ah water are all of theh people ah Almaris drinkin?" he shakes his head oncemore, his one eye closed in disappointment. He takes a moment to think in silence before standing up and giving his grandchildren a light kiss on the forehead, as they had fallen asleep while he said his story. He escapes the room quietly, closing the door with extreme care.

Vane shakes his head "I've never met either a bigger liar or a dumber creature in my entire life." He says crumbling up the letter that had made it way to his hands "This Inui marched up to me and told me they were a banished warcriminal and then refused to leave Varhelm after they had been given every opportunity, only after hours of polite discussion did I order the guards to arrest her." He curls his lip "What a despicable attempt to sow discord in Norland." he says spitting.

Loud, heavy footsteps approached the bulletin which sat alongside the road that travelled through Elysium. Amber eyes glanced over it, hoping to find information on jobs, places to drink good ale- not the piss that many cities labelled alcohol and overcharged for, only to find a missive on the treacherous acts committed against one of the Mali's own. 

"Ai see the King's Council continues t' screw over the people it s'pposedly provides 'n cares fer... Greatness cannae be achieved by minds filled t' the brim wit' rubbish. Scum, jus' like cream, settles at the top." 

A disgruntled sigh left the elf's lips, gazing over the city which once was the pride and joy of Norland, now struck by the sickness of envy, leaving the once prosperous and plentiful town plagued by such a horrible, life-draining disease. It'd been a long time since the elf had returned to Elysium, to Norland, and it seemed as though it would be even longer before it once again be a worthwhile journey. 

All there was left to do now was pray. Lots of praying. 

Within the safety of the Stygian Hollow, a Mali'ker grinned as he read over the missive. "The Norlanders wish to test the resolve of the Ashen Folk then, hmm?" He asked to his cousin, the Archon of all Mali'ker. "First the mutts, now the Vallah, will our people ever find rest, Vival? To think these people once offered refuge to our kin, shameful."

The Decurion let out a long defeated sigh, his head thudding against desk cluttered with numbers and coin. Atop the pile a missive sat with attentive pride. 

"Norland defended us when Oren came to our door, demanding we recede from Norland and join them in the war. We stood steadfast by our kingdoms side, with no intent of Betrayal. Made up more of their soldiers during the war then any vassal should and yet we let in one person whom leadership didn't even know was banished and we're stripped of our status? I as Ranger leadership know all to well the hoops we jumped through to follow Norland's rules. When Oren sent people to recruit Norlanders as spies it was me who told the high keeper, a Ranger. And all despite bribery and offerage from these men. Does our proof of loyalty to them mean so little when placed beside what mistakes we have made? Do they really have the expectation of perfection over our people?"
He lean back into his seat, holding a hand up to his nose. 

"I am not perfect. Maybe they need to realize neither are they. If they want to throw aside their most loyal vassal then fine. There are no Rangers to call upon the next time they wage war or need to defend there beloved capital anymore."

Atop the Ranger Keep, a dark elf dangles his legs off the edge, pipe smoke curling about him, humming 'The Helm of Elys' to himself. Sinsio Solros takes a pull from his flask as he reads the missive, crumpling it up and throwing it in the fire of the forge behind him. Just once, just once I'd like to have one meal Norland hasn't shat in. Is that too much to ask?" he whines to the bastard monkey hanging from the rafters above. Jeff chitters, pretending he can understand the violet-eyed Ker. Sinsio feeds Jeff a berry before continuing. "We've been wiping their asses and fighting their battles since day 1, carrying out their vanity projects and infantile demands even as they put us down over and over. But they treat Elysium just as they treat women: like naive mutts who bark out of turn. They've always tried to control what they fear, and we're the ones with fangs." He chuckles grimly. "Imagine that." Sinsio's chuckle evolves into genuine lighthearted laughter. He shrugs and hits the tobacco pipe. "Well, tis only poetic justice, really. They cut off their own hands, burn their own bridges, then wonder why they lost. Who would stand beside them? Well, I'll tell you who, Jeff: Elysium." Jeff observes a booger he just picked from his nose, oblivious to the monologue, because, well, he's a monkey. Sinsio's face darkens. "We've stood beside the bastards for decades, despite their ill treatment of us. We went to war for them blindly, we bled for Norland, we died for Norland! My brothers and sisters in the Rangers laid down their lives for the bastards, and this is our reward: stripped of our titles, our ranks, thrown out like a dog in the streets...." Sinsio closes his eyes and lays his head in in his hand, his knuckles growing white as he chokes back the tears and stifles his anger, the faces of the Rangers lost to Norland's pathetic leadership burned into his head. Jeff hops down from the rafters and pats Sinsio's back with his tiny monkey paw, unsure of what ails his friend so, but sure that he's probably being a ninny-muffin, whatever it is. Sinsio takes a deep breath and locks away the memories, returning to his calm disposition. He smiles sadly at Jeff and takes another drink, deep in thought for many moments before before continuing. "They feared our growth in the beginning and tried to put us down. That didn't work, so they tried to put us on a leash, but you cannot chain a Ranger. A futile attempt, of course, so now they try to butter us up with false promises behind the guise of a smug smile." Jeff sits beside Sinsio, nodding wisely and stroking his chin as a philosopher would, understanding absolutely nothing. "Now, after treating us like rebellious stepchildren for decades despite our loyalty, they think it's cute to welcome us with open arms as though they've always been so friendly, as though they've always respected us, as though they haven't let us down and put us down, so long as we wear their drab garb and say their vows and die for them, swearing our lives to their petty kingdom for their petty squabbles, all in the name of the illusion to be in control." He throws up his arms in exasperation. "For god's sake, we've already been enforcing their laws and fighting their wars for over 30 years! What a disgusting lie, what a sad gesture." Jeff hops away to go cause chaos, bored of the rant. The tired Mali'Ker sighs, the weight of the years apparent even upon his youthful face. He takes another pull from the flask. "Yeah, they tried to ice us, but they've forgotten: we too were birthed in the cold." 

Edited by Sonico_fate

Walks into the keep upon finishing reading the missive, seeing her clan sprawled about the bar a smile graces her features as she walks over slamming the missive onto the counter. “I want all of you to read this.” she says as she slides onto a nearby stool. “I knew Inui when she first came to Norland and then the war started. I will admit we blindly followed Norland into battle and ignored the elves' plea for diplomacy. Maybe if Norland listened it would have spared countless lives and a lot of coin.”A light laugh escapes her as she looks to her clanmates, who were clearly as upset as she was”I can’t begin to comprehend why they insisted on calling her a voidal monster, I had to explain over and over again that her legs were for her to function. I stood their sword drawn, protecting her, as the angered dwarf attacked. Who knew he would be named marshal of Norland shortly after.” The head Ranger keeps her eyes focused on her clanmates before looking back down to the table as she continues talking. “ Now Norland takes away the ability for the Rangers to enforce the law. They promote me only strip me of my titles and arrest me for insubordination. Only minutes prior to being made Warden, surrounding me with about six men all ready to attack. I said three words aloud that whole meeting.” she abruptly stands and begins walking around as she speaks .”We now have to wait for the Northguard to respond if there is trouble within our walls. The walls we put up to defend the Elysium citizens from raids, and massacres alike.” The elfess dips her head taking a moment to remember those lost in the Elysium massacre. “We can only hope that Norland sees the error of their ways.” And with that she goes to stand next to Sinsio. Now, who wants to train!”

Edited by Sunflower

Lunah relaxed on the couch in the Vanari Clan house, watching her daugher Ellania and Ellathor play chasing around the room, chuckling to herself  as ellania resorted to hiding beneath the dining table to avoid her older brother. Her head turned upon hearing Aylin Vanari's foot steps entering the premise. After a brief discourse Lunah turned her attention to the note aylin had handed her and began reading it letting out a soft sigh. "Well, this ought to be interesting.. and i was just starting to enjoy my forced retirement." She said with a shake of her head. Tossing the note on a side table before turning her attention back to where it belonged, on her children.. the real reason she had fought so hard in the War, not to destory oren, not so Norland conquer. She fought for her family, for Elysium and its defence.

"With the beginning of friendly Elysium-Mercatorii relations, I hope for the best, however, perhaps the best is not for all, as is the nature of conflict... Them poor Rangerfolk." The Handia would state, in the process of the reorganization of the MRA.

Gripping the letter in their hands, a white-haired 'Ker woman scowls at the missive. "How dare they mistreat one of my own - especially as Inui and I were apart of Norland years ago. Orenian or not, I have seen with my own eyes how much Inui has changed due to the nature of her kind and steadfast heart. The North has gone straight to madness." Their knuckles would grow white with the poster clutched in their fist. "I must go speak to Vival and the rest of the council about this matter - this blatant harassment of Hollow citizens and let alone one of our clan heads, will not go unanswered."

The retired Head Ranger sighed as she held the long parchment in her single hand. Steadily, she set such a page aside as she rose to her feet, her steps echoing through her silent estate home as she wandered, to the wardrobe in which contained her old armor, as well as her Head Ranger adornments and gear.

Silence washed over her as she stood for a long while, her single eye boring into the gear who had given her her life; her purpose. She reached, unwavering, out to grab what in which was rightfully hers.

"Norland has bitten the hand in which feeds them,"

She spoke out, seemingly to no one at all, as she began to don her platemail,

"It is time. Retirement no longer sings the tune of my name so long as Elysium suffers. No more shall we suffer. Do they forget the battles in which we have fought for them? The countless criminals apprehended for them? No, no, they wish to punish their own. I shall not stand by in these times."

Stepping by the parchment on her way out of the estate house, she paused, muttering words to the mali'ker in which was not there,

"Inui. You are a daughter to me. I was there to see it all... I am sorry there was never more I could do," she took a shaky breath, 

"I will do everything I can now."

Togrim would be working by the forge, overlooking the entirety of Elysium from the top of the Ranger keep as a small golem would walk up with a parchment in hand, tugging on Togrim's blacksmithing apron to hand him the letter. The Decurion would kneel down to his living doll friend and take the letter, reading it over as he sits by the forge. With a heavy sigh, he would look across Elysium, his home, and ponder for a moment before turning to his small, stone assistant Gordon. “you know, i remember when my wife was with child, it was Inui who told us, who told us it was health and everything, and Sofiele was only 2 months old in the womb at the time, I was amazed she knew so soon.” he would then ponder the events that had taken place in the letter, knowing some of them to be true and others he wasn't sure of. “Inui is a good friend, while i dont think Oren as good as it sounds in this letter, I cant help but agree with most of the things here Gordon. The rangers defended this land with their life, over and over again, and they stripped power away from us, that part I know as a fact.” Gordon just looked up at Togrim and gave him a nod, not able to really talk or agree with him, for Gordon had no idea what was happening either, he just let Togrim rant to him. Togrim went on while hammering a blade on the anvil in front of him, “and at the first meeting, they arrested liluth. for what might you ask? Insubordination for not standing straight? Does that make any sense to you Gordon?” he would say to his Living Doll friend as he angrily hammers out the red hot Daemonsteel blade on the anvil. “They wanted to do a show of force, that's what I think, and to think they did it to MY head ranger, MY sister, the person I worked directly under for years!” he would say now slamming his hammer down onto the Daemonsteel blade out of frustration and anger, the red hot metal sparking each time he does. “If you want respect you have to earn it, you cant command it from the people who bled for this land, from the people who bled for norland as a whole.” Gordon would just sit there nodding before walking over to the forge and with his stone arms refill the forge with coals to keep it hot for Togrim. The Decurion would pick up the blade and dunk it into the water, pulling out the dull grey Daemonsteel blade and looking it over. inspecting the razor sharp edges of the blade and putting it with the two others he made the couple days before. “We may need more of these soon Gordon, my friends are going to need these, now lets get to work”

Edited by Northtitan

Ursula Vasović, Matriarch of Vasiyeva and neighbor to Stygian Hollow, threw up her hands in frustration. "Oh, this is helpful. What fantastic tact by the..." she looked at the missive again, "Diplomat of Stygian Hollow!" 

Hannas Offarus was in the Keep with his other clanmates when Liluth gave them the missive and her response to it. He nods knowingly. "Too many a time have I seen injustice in cooperation from Norland. The only time I've seen the equality spoken about has been here in Elysium, be it culturally or in leadership." the man in the blue hood stood up from his barstool. "Where ever this is going, I'm going be at your side and the side of Elysium." He then pops his knuckles. "And more training, the better."

Edited by OmegaIcarus

Sir Otis de Rosius applauded the statement and commented "Inui almost single-handedly concluded the Tenth Nordling War."