Slorbin

freebuild y/n?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. freebuild: yes or no

• yes freebuild
    • no freebuild

the best rp I had was during freebuild. 

21 hours ago, Lionbileti said:

To be honest two of the best settlements of atlas were free build. That being belvitz then nordengrad which both were extremely active. I hate the bureaucracy of getting land, and how most of these settlements are shot for the dumbest reasons (Vaseyvi or how you spell it, as a prime example). I believe if we don’t have free build we should definitely have less restriction on settlements since this map is already gigantic. Nation quality has probably been at its worse this map, and we desperately are in need of flavor.

I think this encapsulates how I feel really well. As always, a based take

14 hours ago, Javert said:

Tl:dr, Freebuild may cause shitty builds, but can bring around wonderful roleplay communities otherwise restricted by the current land system.

Just my two cents, don't kill me

Wait, yea, this is an RP server not a Minecraft buildathon why is the removal of freebuild even an argument. It’s finally clicked 

Freebuild offers fluidity to politics and new cultures/player bases. For a long time during freebuild maps we didnt have much of a world team to moderate the quality of a build. The nation and charter system now is too restrictive to the creativity of the player bases. I've always been a fan of freebuild as long as the buildings are made with care and the server in mind and not being solely some survival gameplay in the corner of the map. Freebuild definitely shouldn't be directly on the main road but also shouldn't be too far away from the action either.

One of my proudest builds were in the wilds of last map. I had a nice house on an island I built like some madman in Dubai and nobody bothered me and I had a safe place to store my belongings with increasing political change if I ever went inactive for a bit.

Edited by The Great Mongol Khan

23 hours ago, Lionbileti said:

To be honest two of the best settlements of atlas were free build. That being belvitz then nordengrad which both were extremely active. I hate the bureaucracy of getting land, and how most of these settlements are shot for the dumbest reasons (Vaseyvi or how you spell it, as a prime example). I believe if we don’t have free build we should definitely have less restriction on settlements since this map is already gigantic. Nation quality has probably been at its worse this map, and we desperately are in need of flavor.

I think the bigger issue is how many tiles are already claimed by nations and continue to be claimed, making there to be limited-to-no good locations for settlements or lairs. Take a look at the current claimed land map :/

59 minutes ago, WestCarolina said:

I think the bigger issue is how many tiles are already claimed by nations and continue to be claimed, making there to be limited-to-no good locations for settlements or lairs. Take a look at the current claimed land map :/

Also only 1 settlement is allowed per tile, which is a weird rule IMO and makes it harder for settlements to be close to each other and capitalize on good locations.

I think there is a big memory hole on free build on previous maps. We spent close to six months cleaning up the charter system last map and could never even think to tackle the freebuild areas which were choked with abandoned towns. With the last maps charter system most of the outer ring outside the nations were freebuild settlements that never had much activity outside of the initial period of founding. I understand if you are unaware of the numbers but we got rid of somewhere around 80 charters that were between 0.00 (that means no one logged in all month) and 0.2 percent activity. Player counts rose considerably to their new normal after the culling of inactive charters. There was increased conflict after the destruction of inactive charters. These are the facts of the last two years of development after the failure of the previous ring map. 

You can go to nations right now and there is nation sponsored freebuild. I am no longer on staff or world team but it appears to me they are accepting settlement applications and giving people a chance. We create a world worth rping in by interacting with other players. Freebuild allows you to create something without that rp interaction. If you think back to the freebuild settlements of Aegis or Anthos, those that continued are the extreme minority. The number that never had any longevity is incomprehensible

I saw arguments that the World Team could just clean up inactive freebuilds. This is a waste of time for those volunteers. There is already enough bureaucratic management issues to add policing freebuild to their plate. It was a lot less work to implement a rigorous settlement application process then all the hours spent wiping dozens of charters a month. I remember when we had to approve those shovel charters there being a new one almost every day. It is a crazy amount of workload for people who are not getting paid.

Think back to those 100+ charters we had to wipe last map. Can you remember the names of most of them? I spent countless hours world editing them out and they are a muddled together. I can not remember much of any relational geography last map because of the circular shape. I am much more grounded in this current map as a player. I think fast travel could possibly help with travel times on this map but that is not what is being discussed.

The only way I think you could create some freebuild opportunity is on a temporary basis. Expansion/temp map style that took people's attention to another landmass briefly and let new settlements flourish. The idea would be to incorporate those new groups back into the normal map after the end of the event or time period. A nation could even declare one of it's provinces freebuild to attract settlers.

I think Yong Ping is a perfect example of the success that can come out of cooperative roleplay being forced through the system. They were able to build up a player base and culture in relation to another nation and strike out on their own when they were ready. Their culture is now grounded to the greater reality of the server and not just a sudden creation out of the imagination.

5 minutes ago, VonAulus said:

With the last maps charter system most of the outer ring outside the nations were freebuild settlements that never had much activity outside of the initial period of founding. I understand if you are unaware of the numbers but we got rid of somewhere around 80 charters that were between 0.00 (that means no one logged in all month) and 0.2 percent activity. Player counts rose considerably to their new normal after the culling of inactive charters.

Oh wow it's almost as if there was a global pandemic at the time that shut down schools and workplaces as everything moved to a remote model. It's almost as if other minecraft servers hit record high playercounts at that time as well due to this pandemic.

When you delete settlements with next to nobody in it, you are moving around next to nobody. If moving around just a handful of people instantly revives LOTC playercounts, then that must be some fancy magic going on right there. Do the handful of players living in those mostly dead charters duplicate themselves upon their relocation? Does transforming a server that used to be 85% within nations to a server that is instead 90-95% within nations make all of the activity cargo cult magic happen?

You can make other arguments for the deletion of all those charters being a good thing. Crediting their removal with the increased playercounts of 2020 during the covid lockdowns is just illogical, however, and not a valid argument. There is a blatant, obvious cause for those increased playercounts yet you still give all the credit to your cargo cult activity policies without understanding that the correlation does not necessarily equate to a causal relationship.

18 minutes ago, VonAulus said:

There was increased conflict after the destruction of inactive charters

This is a causal relationship how?

There were no successful warclaims after your Charter Reform until very recently with the Norland vs Oren war. If you want to point at increased banditry or that one war fought exclusively in a warzone between Oren and a coalition, please credit Korvic and the other devs at that time for fixing the 1.14 lag crisis and making banditry a thing again and allowing the server to have more than 120 players on it at any given moment without kicking out half of them every hour.

I'm sure you're an intelligent person, VonAulus. I just question your logic at times.

SMALL MAP

ONE CAPITAL CITY FOR EACH DESCENDANT RACE

EVERYONE ELSE GETS FREEBUILD

simple as

one of the temp maps many years ago had such a system but I forget which one. It was pure anarchy and spontaneous and interesting RP.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:51 PM, latte said:

freebuild makes everything more spread out and harder for everyone. On that note, i do believe obtaining land for an active (new) playerbase should not be as hard as it is.

i agree lattewasupxxx

49 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Oh wow it's almost as if there was a global pandemic at the time that shut down schools and workplaces as everything moved to a remote model. It's almost as if other minecraft servers hit record high playercounts at that time as well due to this pandemic.

When you delete settlements with next to nobody in it, you are moving around next to nobody. If moving around just a handful of people instantly revives LOTC playercounts, then that must be some fancy magic going on right there. Do the handful of players living in those mostly dead charters duplicate themselves upon their relocation? Does transforming a server that used to be 85% within nations to a server that is instead 90-95% within nations make all of the activity cargo cult magic happen?

You can make other arguments for the deletion of all those charters being a good thing. Crediting their removal with the increased playercounts of 2020 during the covid lockdowns is just illogical, however, and not a valid argument. There is a blatant, obvious cause for those increased playercounts yet you still give all the credit to your cargo cult activity policies without understanding that the correlation does not necessarily equate to a causal relationship.

This is a causal relationship how?

There were no successful warclaims after your Charter Reform until very recently with the Norland vs Oren war. If you want to point at increased banditry or that one war fought exclusively in a warzone between Oren and a coalition, please credit Korvic and the other devs at that time for fixing the 1.14 lag crisis and making banditry a thing again and allowing the server to have more than 120 players on it at any given moment without kicking out half of them every hour.

I'm sure you're an intelligent person, VonAulus. I just question your logic at times.

You praise the tech team in one paragraph for fixing the lag and then lambast them in the next for not getting warclaims working. I wish I could have fixed that and it is a major regret of my time on staff I could not influence it. I think freebuild is atrocious and continue to argue against it. I know it is easy to dunk on me for being unintelligent or something but the truth is idgaf what you think. I have moved on from my minecraft job and am expressing my opinion as a longtime player. I do not want freebuild to return and will rely upon my experience and knowledge to argue against it. I think if we listen to freebuild screaming it will hurt the server. Take it or leave it, that is up to the admins. Forum posting about it won't change it either so write a staff application if you want to see meaningful movement on this topic. Trust me, these posts do not influence Admin discussion.

I voted yes, and as a newer player I sometimes feel like I shouldn't get a voice in subjects like these this time I feel like I should speak up. When I was a soul I thought Almaris was beautiful, the terrain was stunning, the cities I was taken to in places where built to be gorgeous but as a player I quickly found that the terrain as awesome as it may look was often hard to navigate so really appreciating it was hard! I could barely get anywhere! And my first city as a player was Oren, I did see a fair amount of rp here but walking to the city was awful. Very boring nothing to really see except for wheat fields for miles and one little town (that was inactive but a great sight to see!) And when I got to Oren, it had very modern vibes to it. I thought it'd be more realistic medieval high class town with centralized rp (rp was very much everywhere and as a new player confusing to find bc I didn't know the set up of Oren). And when venturing off other places It was harder because there was no signs (because they don't get big settlements to help them with that) and farther out so you got super hungry, I had to buy food because I had yet to learn about voting, And some of these towns where just a manor or something! Nothing good... I think if we had a free build area it'd provide better rp, and make people happier with the state of our map. Freebuild is so nice and lets people be creative without having to deal with taxes for wanting to build on settlement land, waiting to get a response from the leader, or really just having to deal with boring builds being approved but not seeing something fit for your unique style. I really wish this wasn't my first map honestly, and I think the map is the reason a lot of people quit early on unfortunately...

One of my first memories on the server was chopping down trees so I could build a roadside tavern which was my characters main goal.  Finishing it and actually getting to Roleplay in something I built is still one of my favorite memories. That sort of variety is not something really available to new players today, if someone logged on and wanted to be a hermit living out in the forests or to build and own a roadside inn they wouldn't really have that option as trying to get land in any way is kinda overwhelming, especially for a new player. Freebuild also kept me on the server when I was too anxious to really start RPing because I was able to spend my time interacting with familiar Minecraft mechanics while I grew accustomed to the server and such.

And lets be honest, I already spend 10 minutes running to cities just to never find anyone.  I would much rather have the chance of finding people on the roads hanging out in a camp or something I can interact with then run all that way with nothing to look at.   Road RP is nonexistent on this map, travelling is boring, we need variety.

freebuild is a truly idealistic pipedream that disconnects new players from the server more than it actually brings them into the community

I think doctorfate had some good points and made some pretty good ideas

On 7/29/2021 at 3:24 PM, VonAulus said:

I think there is a big memory hole on free build on previous maps. We spent close to six months cleaning up the charter system last map and could never even think to tackle the freebuild areas which were choked with abandoned towns. With the last maps charter system most of the outer ring outside the nations were freebuild settlements that never had much activity outside of the initial period of founding. I understand if you are unaware of the numbers but we got rid of somewhere around 80 charters that were between 0.00 (that means no one logged in all month) and 0.2 percent activity. Player counts rose considerably to their new normal after the culling of inactive charters. There was increased conflict after the destruction of inactive charters. These are the facts of the last two years of development after the failure of the previous ring map. 

You can go to nations right now and there is nation sponsored freebuild. I am no longer on staff or world team but it appears to me they are accepting settlement applications and giving people a chance. We create a world worth rping in by interacting with other players. Freebuild allows you to create something without that rp interaction. If you think back to the freebuild settlements of Aegis or Anthos, those that continued are the extreme minority. The number that never had any longevity is incomprehensible

I saw arguments that the World Team could just clean up inactive freebuilds. This is a waste of time for those volunteers. There is already enough bureaucratic management issues to add policing freebuild to their plate. It was a lot less work to implement a rigorous settlement application process then all the hours spent wiping dozens of charters a month. I remember when we had to approve those shovel charters there being a new one almost every day. It is a crazy amount of workload for people who are not getting paid.

Think back to those 100+ charters we had to wipe last map. Can you remember the names of most of them? I spent countless hours world editing them out and they are a muddled together. I can not remember much of any relational geography last map because of the circular shape. I am much more grounded in this current map as a player. I think fast travel could possibly help with travel times on this map but that is not what is being discussed.

The only way I think you could create some freebuild opportunity is on a temporary basis. Expansion/temp map style that took people's attention to another landmass briefly and let new settlements flourish. The idea would be to incorporate those new groups back into the normal map after the end of the event or time period. A nation could even declare one of it's provinces freebuild to attract settlers.

I think Yong Ping is a perfect example of the success that can come out of cooperative roleplay being forced through the system. They were able to build up a player base and culture in relation to another nation and strike out on their own when they were ready. Their culture is now grounded to the greater reality of the server and not just a sudden creation out of the imagination.

Practically everything you said is entirely false, the reason Freebuild had so many charters and inactive builds is because there was no application system or means of tracking and moderating how many players were using freebuild. I recall making various suggestions to improve freebuild but all you ever did during your tenure  was promote hatred towards freebuilding while promoting your own nation groups and cliques. You also purged the majority of the world team at a critical moment when the team needed those players the most, all because we didn't agree with you and wanted Fuze or Voop to be world admin. Though I'm sure inactivity is a fine excuse for you.

The lair application system is a failure because it's too restrictive and doesn't allow players who have been ghosted, denied or just generally shat on by NL's to get land. I have gone to practically every NL this map and asked for a spot to build, despite showing examples of some very significant builds they have ignored me, ghosted me or generally not gone through with giving me land or build opportunities in any capacity. They're very greedy and don't want to share any land tiles for anything that doesn't benefit them in the immediate sense.

Your entire argument about nation sponsored freebuild is a blatant lie for this reason, they don't give land to plebs. The only way you can get land through a nation is if you're OOC buddies with the NL and have some massive playerbase behind you to boost their activity. You have to extort them with your own player group and threaten to leave with said entire player group. Other then that, you have to have serious leverage to essentially threaten them with, I wouldn't be surprised if some people have extorted NL's with ERP logs or something serious of that nature to get land.

Honestly, a player such as me.. Who simply wants to do a build project to further RP in that region will just be denied land at every opportunity. Reputation or not, people on this server are power hungry and refuse to play nice, something you did not factor into any of your decisions when you were world admin. 

The current solution is pretty simple, lair applications should be accepted automatically without question if the person went to every NL on the server and was refused or ignored at every opportunity. Or, if they simply cannot be accepted into any clique because they quite literally don't fit in with the outrageous standards nations have set.

If they want to keep RP on their tile then they can extend the effort to do so or suffer the consequences of inactivity. Lair applications should not be restricted to only magic or CA groups and should extend to literally any player or group that has been discriminated against IRP or OOC'ly.

The purpose of a lair is to have a place to RP when you're an antag or have been antagonized by everyone. Stop punishing the entire playerbase because a few NL's are refusing to accommodate the "rejects".