[✓] [Voidal Feat] - Arcane Scions

squakhawk

Roland of Ulmsbottom drags himself across the skittering massacre of the Orcish insanity, each strike tearing through limb and limb, followed by the shadow that executes their foes as they follow. This is the path of the Scion.

I was worried when someone said combat mages, but this is a really good middle ground and solid redlines. 

...I want to have Soul lag though.. man.

Surrender at 20: Red Post Collection: Ekko Discussion, Patch Rundown 5.9,  Recent Increase in Drophacks, and more

Visual representation of Soul Lag

Literally ranting about how it's dumb and then I actually read it and I actually like it. Feeling a bit like a clown 🤡.

1 hour ago, SquakHawk said:

-A Soul-Shadow may often take periods between manifestation when not under duress. Thus, meaning it does not have to be emoted doing mundane or simple tasks and scenarios (E.g. you don’t have to emote a shadow constantly walking behind you.)

I actually really like the idea of soul lag, although I worry it might be stigmatized in rp rather quickly and therefore not be roleplayed as much as it could be, if this were to be implemented.

Absolutely terrible mental effects in my opinion, discourages RP. Other than that it's cool

Cool lore other than the mental effects. That's quite personality changing for really unfun effects. I don't want to play a guy who has no opinions and is depressed, ****'s just not fun

2 hours ago, SquakHawk said:

Soul-afflicting spells or effects, such as Malflame, Dragonsflame, and so on, are debilitating for a Scion to experience-

What about lutaumancy or mysticism?  Would these magics be able to just whisk the soul part away or manipulate it? What happens in the case of phantoms or entities that can touch/interact with souls? Does aurum or thanium have any effects? 

2 hours ago, SquakHawk said:

at a quarter of the strength and force a Scion had initially applied.

With the current contention of determining lengths of string, I fear leaving it to just 1/4th of strength may be too vague for small brained people like myself who struggle with fractions. Maybe just adding redlines on what it could pass through would be clearer (Cloth,flesh,chain,etc)? How often can a scion use Soul Lag? Does it cost mana? Is their soul more exposed while doing so? 

Otherwise, spellswords very cool, though i wonder if this is a solution to the issues of each of the evocations/voidal magic and not just a powerup everyone and their mom will have because the alternative is far worse. 

The Soul Lag reminds me of DarkSoul 3 when the Pontiff gets his body double mid fight.

Really nice to see a middle ground feat between magic and sword.

@King_Kunukbro !!!! now become god!!! asioth my brother .

Don’t like this one. I’ve always been of the opinion that nothing should lessen or fully remove voidal weakness, regardless of the consequences—hence why I don’t like Kani’s ability that does that.

Why was I abandoned...?

8 hours ago, Ryloth said:

@King_Kunukbro !!!! now become god!!! asioth my brother .

Godhood is at hand brother ryloth

Now for my take on the lore. An honest review from someone (at least in how I like to treat void lore) has a passion for this stuff

FIRSTLY! YES MY GOD. This feat has been something I myself was wanting to write up, but never figured out how to do it. It feels that niche role of a battle mage, a magi who uses their magic as a means for combat. Arcane Knighs, I hope, can become a new common sight to see in places where voidal magi are brimming to the sky, such as Haelun'or and Ando Alur.

I also like the explanation for how they are able to not be riddled with (the based) voidal cancer. It works well, with having a smaller mana pool and not being able to summon forth nuclear spells. This does essentially mean all Scions are 'T4 magi' in terms of rituals and their limitations, but I think that is a fair trade off for the type of playstyle this offers.

Now for my dislikes of it, and this comes down to one ability and of course, the mental effects.

I find the mental effects to be..... slightly unessesary, (I find them a tad bit unneeded/overwhelming in all of the Voidfeats save for stalking, but I understand why they exist.). But specifically for the Scion, this feat harshly adds in mental effects that, funnily enough if rped properly, will make the Void mage 'weaker' in many situations this feat tries to fix. None of them even come close to the idea of what a Void Mage should be, and that is first and foremost a scholar of some kind. I get why they are as they are with how the magic is written out (it's effects on the soul) but woof mate. I feel like they could be toned down/changed to not be as debilitating to some degree.

Now for the one ability that I love the most, and also find a bit confusing/weird: and that is the Soul Shadow. I love the idea of an 'echo' that follows the magi around as they move, and is probably one of my favorite magical aesthetics to ever exist in fantasy/sci fi. However it's effects when struck by soul magics and how it causes a magi to become extremely hampered feels... strange? Maybe this is just me, but again like before, I understand why it is written as is, but I can't 100% agree with the idea that it is the proper way forward. Maybe it is though and I am just being retarded (as I often am).

Now for my own verdict which means nothing but I love you squak and Johann, so here it is: ya I love the feat, I want this to be approved. Would I play it if I got the chance? Probably not (as it does not fit the persona I am trying to build rply). But would I love to see others use it? absolutely. I would encourage Ando Alur+Haelun'or to try and found a Arcane Warrior group of some kind that has it's members use this feat, as that is where I see it can find the greatest momentum of birth. The only thing that I would actually fix in the end though would be the mental effects in some manner (to which i have not been enlightened to how yet. All i can say is that they may not be the best/rped out properly).

Thank you for listening to my TedTalk. Next week: why archons need to be unshelved