Your View - Clipping the Wings of Birds

ScreamingDingo

I'd be in favour of this if LOTC could implement a replacement such as is the case on (redacted). However, until then, birds are an essential tool to making the arrangement of roleplay go smoothly, and I'd rather not throw this convenient possibility out of the window.

If you introduce a sufficient alternative, sure I guess.

If this could help prevent meta in in-combat situations, all the better. But for out of combat purposes, I would very much like the ease of arranging things. Back in the day, when I sent birds I would usually RP that part, wait thirty minutes, maybe an hour (usually relevant to where they were if I knew as much OOCly), and would THEN send the letter. I'm not sure on the logistics of delaying replies that fall under notes/birds, but if something like that could be introduced, there's one issue solved.

I have to agree that EVERYONE possessing super reliable carrier birds isn't ideal, but also, it is a game. And the enjoyment of the player supersedes immersion in most cases. If a solid solution is available, and unlikely to cause too many issues, then go for it.

This isn’t it, chief.

I know that personally, my character has folks all over Arcas that she writes to in order to stay updated on various happenings because currently it makes little sense for her to icly be venturing outside of Haelun’or. 

I agree with the removal of birds from combat encounters but overall, for anything else, I think it will annoy some players to the extent that they’ll use the system anyway, even if it does violate rules or find new ways to meta.

If players can abuse it, they will.

if you take away a much used aspect of Roleplay completely so players can’t abuse it, then they will find other systems to abuse to achieve the same goal as before.

But an idea: for combat birding, consent from all groups present is needed. Complicated but also a decent compromise IMO.

Idea 2: Electric Boogaloo: Have combat birds at the very least sent to the recipient’s primary home city. 

All very vague ideas right now since I’m half asleep, but I imagine entirely removing the bird system will piss of a load of RPers.

Ngl I have no idea what those plugins are that you mentioned, but making birds incapable of interfering with conflict is good. I'd just hope it doesn't become an excuse to punish players for using /msg to organize get-togethers for RP when out of immediate RP/conflict, instead of using some plugins.

Hard to support the removal of birds when the alternative is to drive even more of the server onto discord. 

unless there's a plugin ready, the rules should just be clarified and mostly left alone

i understand the muh immersion side, but lotc is ultimately a game still and no one should be expected to walk around a city asking for some person who might just be playing a different game but available/afk/etc.

just prohibit metarally and keep it for meeting up in roleplay, it'll all still happen in discord anyway

I don't think birds as an aspect of how the server communicates should be removed. Birds have been a part of RP since the server was created and for the most part are harmless for the day to day RP. If anything, I think that /msg commands could have a delay built into them from when they are sent to when they are received by the other person. I'm not entirely sure of the coding involved with adding the timer but surely it would be less effort than creating a message hub plugin and dispersing hub locations across the map. At least in the meantime to crack down a bit on message abuse while a done up aviary plugin is made.

On a side note, it might be annoying that all birds/messengers find their target immediately but RP operates at a different rate of time than irl. A lot can be assumed when a message is sent in game because of this, and not every element of the exchange really needs to be fleshed out completely. It is a game after all and having the balance between what makes sense in RP mechanically/timewise versus the value of our own time irl is an important consideration. With that being said, I wouldn't hate an indepth aviary plugin (auto emotes, travel time, message hubs, bird upgrades, etc.) but I would hate not having /msg while we wait for one.

Making communication harder ingame will likely just push people to use discord even more, where less and less can be checked by moderation and more can be abused/forged by nefarious players.

Aviaries are only cool until you realize they're an over glorified /mail plugin. TPS fixes and nodes first please.

There's still gonna be meta. It be what it be. Making it so people have to emote 3 times vs making it so they can't do it just invited more meta. + saying that someone can't rp getting help when getting attacked is kinda sus too.

If there is a plugin that allows for something similar to birds then sure. But you're just gonna nuke the TPS again. Do we even have NPC's back? Current plugins need fixed first.

Honestly the best solution would just be to force people to have IRP bird items. Even if you want them to be ST approved. Seems like the least amount of work for the most amount of bang. If they have the item then it can be done. And you can omni commands to make sure they didn't make it just then and just ban them if they do for metagaming. 

Looking forward to rally pinging a discord to meet irp with one person, or leaving a note that I came by and missed them because we couldn't communicate with each other.

50 minutes ago, 8 said:

If you don't want someone to send a bird in combat just use one of the 3 emotes they have to do and kill it, it's not that hard lmao.

the crux of not wanting birds to be used for combat isnt "I don't want my enemy to get aid," its "where is the logic in a random fuckoff bird being able to travel across the continent and locate a specific person like a bloodhound so they're able to summon an entire rally and show up to my exact location in 5 minutes?" 

image.thumb.png.35b03e0cf4bed5b53ebb8f2be1024d1e.png

I've opted out of receiving birds because I think the idea of heat-seeking avians that warpspeed across the continent and meet their mark every time is alarmingly dumb, but I'm not sure if the bulk of the player base is willing to find alternatives outside of those given to them.

Mailman and courier rp would be really cool to see, but a slew of its own problems including the potential to metagame contents of a letter. Moreover, very few would be willing to take the backseat enough to see something like this through; their character's stories are very important to them, and it would be a waste of their time to foster the self-sustaining world in mechanically creative ways without serious incentive.

So begrudgingly I say keep the birds, or invest R&D time into a mailbox plugin.

But there is a beauty in serendipity. The joys of being a new player and frequenting a spot to see familiar faces as if it were clockwork- incomparable to the "hey bro wanna rp?" "ya ok meet me in providence."

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Mailman and courier rp would be really cool to see, but a slew of its own problems including the potential to metagame contents of a letter. Moreover, very few would be willing to take the backseat enough to see something like this through; their character's stories are very important to them, and it would be a waste of their time to foster the self-sustaining world in mechanically creative ways without serious incentive.

ngl I'd totally sign a "[Mailman] [CA] GodOfPie's Creature Application" just to play a mailman, sounds more engaging than me just sitting afk alt-tabbed for 8 hours kekeke.