Your View - Clipping the Wings of Birds

ScreamingDingo

I'm actually working on some pet project lore that could potentially replace birds while being mechanically similar but functionally distinct, if that sounds like something anyone is interesting? It's a resource lore project.

On 8/25/2021 at 3:47 AM, ScreamingDingo said:

Messages require exact time-stamps and Admin/Tech intervention to keep track of. It's an unsustainable system, and discord roleplay is currently invalid so meta-gaming through that will lead to a ban, either way.

Except for the fact that unlike with discord the usage of /msg (/t / /r) actualy gives moderation a chance to see what has been sent between two users. Unless you are going to try and force people to share discord dms (which will rapidly devolve into a shitshow) I fail to see how this would be an improvement.

4 minutes ago, overlord2305 said:

Except for the fact that unlike with discord the usage of /msg (/t / /r) actualy gives moderation a chance to see what has been sent between two users. Unless you are going to try and force people to share discord dms (which will rapidly devolve into a shitshow) I fail to see how this would be an improvement.

Discord isn't a valid medium for roleplay, which I will repeat once again. Doesn't matter if we can't see what they said on discord, they are actually not allowed to use discord as a way to communicate in roleplay

2 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

Discord isn't a valid medium for roleplay, which I will repeat once again. Doesn't matter if we can't see what they said on discord, they are actually not allowed to use discord as a way to communicate in roleplay

And? There are lots of things that are disallowed that still happen. The only thing you will do by forcing these sorts of things onto discord is ensure you have no ability to proven any of it.

Rather than just making a post on this stuff where comments are all over the place, make a side by side list of all the plug-ins INCLUDING the bird messaging mechancic that we already have, and have it in a pros and cons list-style. THen you can have people in the community add to it, because if we're being frank, it's difficult to do a very good comparison without a chart or a graph of some sort.

4r8v10.jpg

Whatever replaces the bird system ^ I'm already kinda one foot out the door on this server so idc either way but Joel I think a good thing to think about would be perhaps a more plugin-based NPC system like FRP has but that would require someone with Dewper's Team's plugin knowledge, perhaps some form of outsourcing or brief hiring of a coder could be a solution to help find a medium between plugin vs rp and create that little niche to fill both the desires that the playerbase seems to have on birds atm? o7

On 8/25/2021 at 3:03 AM, Taketheshot said:

Every city should have an aviary to send and receive birds from, settlements and forts should be able to get aviarys, they should be a global system, so if I send Screamingdingo a bird from Providence and he is in Sutica, a little message should pop up suggesting he should check his local aviary, he goes to the aviary in sutica and receives my bird. 

Sending/receiving should be unlimited and free.

Make an aviary cost like 1000 minas or something. 

HAVE A NOTIFICATION SYSTEM FOR WHEN SOMEONE GETS A LETTER IN THEIR AVIARY, this is mineman roleplay, I shouldnt have to check my mailbox 24/7. 

This is an amazing idea! Something like this, please.

I love the mundane Roleplay of having something like physical letters, I find it fun, and it could spur on Roleplay like mail theft. Having to write your letter in a Minecraft book, or the new notes plugin, and sending that through the aviary could be a really fun thing.

The idea of removing /msg is a bad idea. People will find other ways to meta game and if anything you are taking away peoples contact out of character. Not everyone has their friends discords starting off. Infact, i have a few i still can only talk to with in game. Takimg away /msg does not seem like it will do any good. And may just cause more harm

I mean I feel like birds do cause metagaming and such so it's probably best to remove 'em, but at the same time I do think people talking about aviary plugins and nation post offices would be really cool to see. Like it'd be neat to be able to go to an aviary, right click on a bird head or something and get access to a little chest inventory, put a note or other stuff in there and send it off.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:10 PM, NeoTheWerewolf said:

The idea of removing /msg is a bad idea. People will find other ways to meta game and if anything you are taking away peoples contact out of character. Not everyone has their friends discords starting off. Infact, i have a few i still can only talk to with in game. Takimg away /msg does not seem like it will do any good. And may just cause more harm

I don't think they wanna remove the command I think it's just that Dingo thinks it shouldn't be used in roleplay

On 8/24/2021 at 8:45 PM, Ryloth said:

the only bird mechanic that should stay is housemagery letter delivery, and it should only be possible from the household of the player with this magic -- or from a MArt designated as a hub in which to send/receive letters akin to an aviary, therefore requiring that a player be in proximity to this before sending a bird

i have always hated the pocket pigeons people have, but i do think the housemage spell is 100% fine as of current, although if these measures were added it should be reduced to what i mentioned above. likewise regular aviaries should be a thing. +1 if in support of the above rather than whole removal

Based opinion from cat boy 

While birds can be easily used for meta, I think they are either a necessary evil or that they need to have something in their place, as there needs to be a way to contact people irply under various circumstances. Maybe add a plugin with specific bird messages that take time to travel. This could be done through a simple time delay mechanic between messages or by having a physical "bird" (maybe a reskinned bee), perhaps even one that could be shot down (at least under specific circumstances) to make them more fair. This would at least make meta rallies more organic, plus you can have more control/ability to filter with messages from your own plugin rather than base minecraft messages. Though, really, while some sort of bird plugin would be great, discord meta-rallies and the like would still be an issue and still would be unable to be truly enforced by staff.

I think a fun way of sending messages would be to write and send books to people. It'd be cool to have a mailbox system in the game, but idk how hard that would be to implement.