Table Jumping: A Norlandic Pastime

Javert

Table Jumping: A Norlandic Pastime

The study of a unique yet strange way of killing time.

By an anonymous author.

In my many years of visiting and spending time with the Norlandic peoples, I have become accustomed to many of their unique yet seemingly foreign customs. For example, their custom of no kneeling or bowing, their unique religion, their monarchical succession, and plenty more. While many of this can be seen as a slight difference, what truly catches the eye immediately after entering the Norlandic capital is what I refer to as "Table Jumping". 

"What is table jumping?" You may ask, but fear not, for I have the answer. Table Jumping is rather simple in nature, yet not often seen anywhere outside of Norland. It consists of a man or woman standing atop a table, and then simply jumping to another and then the other afterwards. This can either be done back and forth in a line of tables, or in a circular way where the tables unintentionally form a sort of ring. As I have yet to properly ask any Norlanders about the nature of such a 'sport', I can only assume it is a way to kill time or to keep warm via exercise. As I have noticed, most Norlanders seem to do it so often that they don't even question the nature of it, or the potential dangers. Most often, Table Jumping ends when the aforementioned man or woman has decided they wish to do something else and thus hop off the table and walk away. From what I have noticed, the area in which Norlanders most often perform this 'sport' is just a brief walk away from the Ashwood Tavern, and as such many "Table Jumpers" either come from or go to the Tavern for a cold drink.

Upon studying further, I have noticed that the "Table Jumpers" tend to jump for minutes, perhaps hours at a time. One may ask how the Norlander has the stamina to keep up this constant exercise, and even now that answer is unknown to me. When Table Jumping is concluded, every single Table Jumper I have viewed has shown no signs of exhaustion, fatigue, or any sort of ailments that would befall a person whom had just performed an exercise. This may mean one of two things, either the Norlander is so well-adapted to the exercise that they can do it without breaking a sweat, or the average Norlander has the stamina of two body-builders. Whatever the answer may be, it truly astonishes me how well the Norlanders can perform Table Jumping without mistake, injury, or fatigue.

To conclude, the sport of Table Jumping is one of the more overlooked side of the Norlandic lifestyle, but is truly interesting once one delves into it. I truly hope that I may furthermore study this phenomenon so as to better understand it.

Robin reaches what is called a table jumper's high, a state in which fatigue does not affect one's endurance. Finally, he stands, and walks into the tavern, downing the strongest drink in all the land, Ashwood moonshine.

How to Develop Strong, Muscular Thighs | CalorieBee

King Vane jumps off the table "Just built different." he nods heading to the tavern for a cold brew and to give his homies a kiss goodnight.

Spoiler

5ea51fdc54ec4c102ddd8d347c81d80c.png

Ser William read through the study with a philosophical gleam in his eyes. It was something up his alley, and he seemed to take great interest in it. Of course, he has seen people perform table-jumps in the past, yet he never truly looked into it. 'Twas then that Ser William mounted a table, jumping from one to another, the Northern blood in his veins seemed to make the activity effortless...

Alisa Camian at the venerable age of 105 jumps from table to table with the stamina of a woman a quarter her age. In her younger years, after all, she was Norland's champion table jumper. Nowadays, of course, she just comes in second when the contests are held.

Sionnach still young, struggles with the art of keeping one's balance while jumping the tables. Though, she practices daily in hopes of being as swift as the elders around her. 

Edited by sciencepants2

Diona Fleurgrass studied the missive thrice over. "Perhaps this might be entertaining..? I do not know."

“Sometems I wonder ef Norland es even ve same style of descendant as ve rest of us,” Kiriha muses, rubbing his forehead as he witnesses an old man leap with the agility of a deer across tables, for no less than twenty minutes. Befuddled thoroughly, the surgeon decides to document this behavior as best as he can. Without partaking. 

Dramyr never did much participate in the grand sport of table jumping, However, the well renowned kicks he committed against others were not gained simply by the passing of the wind, but of Dramyr passing the wind while he ran around the Ashwood tree. This was long standing tradition that had existed since the first sprout of the Ashwood and he wasnt about to let it die.