Noob Wrangling 101

Unwillingly

I must agree, few new players are exposed to what the server has to offer, most left wandering about before logging off, never to be seen again. When I first joined, I was met with open arms, wonderful rp, and tons of help from my respective community, which has kept me going to this day. Hope new players can experience that. Just make sure to not be too pushy, and not pretend and befriend with a fake bubbly persona as mentioned above, just to bolster your nation's population. Makes you feel used when its realized. 🙏

+1 Really nice post!

I think it's super important to give new players agency and feeling like they're creating their own story rather than pigeon-holing them into something right off the bat, so I really appreciate the examples in here of setting little tasks/missions for them to complete like finding a particular character.

Another thing I think is quite cool is being able to learn about culture and history through RP for example in libraries and museums! Definitely want to see more museums and paintings of historical figures with an indication of where someone can go to learn more. Even things like statues and monuments about recent history is a good way to indicate important events that new players might want to learn more about rather than them having to wade through the forums/wiki.

I want to give my five cents as a community team member as well. One thing we frequently see, as mentioned in the original post, is the divide between new players; Some will have an extremely hard time integrating into the community, while some others will be here for a month and no one could tell you when they joined just from their ability to roleplay.

8 hours ago, Unwillingly said:

don’t take the time to teach new players every single command you can think of nor explain every detail of the server. Instead, teach them the basics (#w, #q, #rp, #s, #looc).

When we do Monk Guidance (which is only done if players request it with an /sreq) these days, we try to explain new players the above channels, as well as some simple things such as how Soulstones work - A thing new players often get wrong, so if you tell them to use their Soulstone, make sure they do it correctly. Another thing we do is try to explain them how the auctiohouse and the bank plugin works, as well as a quick rundown on how to interact with shops; Using the ones provided at CT as an example.

A personal rule I always try to follow is to never leave a new player without some sort of goal or purpose to accomplish in RP.

After this, we generally ask the player whether they had a settlement they had in mind where they wanted to go - Usually, they'll have mentioned something in their biography in their application and they will want to go there. If not, we check for active places and explain some of those to them, then ask them where they want to go.

Then comes the hardest part for us; Integrating people into RP. It's hard for multiple reasons, number one being that most of the time, people aren't exactly looking forward to roleplaying with a new player - Because they generally don't have much new stuff to offer, because they're still new.

just that typically CT monk characters aren’t the most reliable source of long-term roleplay for new players, especially when it comes to actually getting new players engaged in any sort of meaningful experience. 

I think that this is one of the main problems we face - As much as I'd like to offer a new player and their character some sort of hook, a quest they can go for, albeit in information or slaying some creature or doing whatever else, that's simply not something we can realistically do. We can't really offer closure to such a thing, and we can't offer a new player some sort of information that they would normally get in character - Because Monk characters are only used for guidance.

they may be asking themselves the question: What do I do next?

And then there's the question every community team member or person who frequents OOC or WS has seen at least once: "What do I do next?" For us, the answer tends to be obvious: You do what you want to do, you set a goal for yourself and work toward it. But for most new players, this isn't as obvious. They don't see LotC as the expansive sandbox that it can be yet, most will see it as an RPG, with a set out road which you could best follow to become... Powerful. Most people who've played for a little bit will realize LotC isn't like this, and it's more about collaborative storytelling than anything - But it also makes it hard for people to just... Hand these new players a goal, since it's something they'll have to decide for themselves.