A letter of Resignation

Apotolofo

A letter of Resignation
The 13th of the Sun’s Smile, SA 42

CDq2wSeralNl8B6pRpWTjFRevt04Bre51wOA9GVQHzi0uFzlJmJiUdJgvBahFxlrGIaxwzv9xfyzsSevm6wn-4rIqwH7XqziOqaBV6Cl-JQpXmcNS5FlJ-8-K9vU6uMCjGjTRWHa=s0

Aech Amberace Solros sat at her desk in the Solros Clan house, staring at the empty page in front of her. It felt strange what she was about to do, but she knew it had to be done. But it was a pity she had to be the one to do it. Aech picked up her goose feather quill, rubbing the handle with her thumb, reminiscing over the time that she bought it. It was in Old Elysium, at a stall by the ferry, during more simpler times. She dips it into the bottle of ink to her left, moving her hand above the leftmost corner of the paper, where her hand pauses. It stays in the air for a long time, a drop of ink splattering onto the paper, awaking her from her daze. Just have to do it quickly. She crumples the piece of paper, throwing it over her shoulder and pulling out another one. She pauses once more, staring at the paper, thoughts racing. She dips the quill again, this time with no hesitation, she begins to write. 

RdMn8DMsrMU3owHpx6rcDgkzuFY0iI8SmCYtfdnGzLh_wi39wPvFk-6nOSHR1B6NhYLKVKgVfPzA6Xgc78sfPYFFzfL2x4zHcMpHJ3B3h9n143Rzc2qDDfN0ObXtQYJQqM0obqSH=s0

"To Eugeo De Astrea, The Order of The Boreal Forest and her protectors, and to Elysium, I extend this missive for whomever to read. I write to you in an open letter with a heavy heart, though I know this is the right thing to do. 

This is my official resignation from the ranks of the Rangers. I wish this part of my life didn't have to end this way, but I can't stay a moment longer. Throughout these last few years of my career, I've seen things I wish I didn't have to see. I don't mean blood, and death, and fighting, these I am far too used to.

When I first joined the Rangers, I was young and naive. I thought of the Rangers as the saviors of Elysium, and Elysium as this perfect paradise in the midst of the evil Norland! Now I look back on my younger self and shake my head. If only things were so black and white.

I wanted to believe that I was working for a force of pure good, that my initial gut feeling was wrong - I wanted them to prove me wrong. I wanted the Rangers to show me that they were still that barrier between good and bad, and that they had everyone's best intentions at heart. I fought with these feelings for years, suppressing it to try and convince myself that the Rangers were still on my side; Elysium's side. That's how it seemed, but I was merely living in my own fairytale. After internal and external power struggles with the Rangers, I came to the brutal realization I was just trying to rationalize my mistreatment and toxic subordination in favour of higher-ranked people whom I had idolized, and I wasn't the only one who noticed. In reality, most of them acted as if they didn't care for me, or any other rank in the Rangers - only themselves and their reputation, rather than the people they were supposed to serve and support. There were exceptions, of course, and those people I will forever hold dear to my heart. 

So blind to believe, so willing to trust! Just wanting to be a follower, believing everything they told me. But as the years went on, I began to see the truth. 

No country, kingdom, town or person is perfect. Our leaders are far from perfect, as we all are.  But there are certain things that are happening I can no longer make excuses for. 

I have seen time and time again the lower ranks and I have little to no say in anything within the Rangers. In fact, not only the lower ranks. Sometimes I think a certain clan holds the power. Our side of the stories are ignored, we are not treated with respect we deserve, and we are hardly ever asked what we want from our higher ups. As if we are merely pawns. Expendable. 

It seems as though to receive basic respect you must have the title of Outrider or higher, or be a part of the Paladins. Even then, the Sentinel Captain and Solros Clan Leader Liluth Solros, was barely listened to amongst the higher ranks that she was supposedly in control of. She was the sole reason why I still stayed in the Rangers and provided me a glimpse into real change. Sadly, her voice and reason were and still are so easily and quickly snuffed out by ignorance and disregard despite how important change is, especially now. Seeing as though an upstart young man, who hasn't been alive longer than many of us have even been in the Rangers, was promoted to Lord Commander in the blink of an eye? Perhaps rank isn't the best way to determine how much respect a person should receive. Seeing as though one of the only reasons he was promoted was his clan. The Vanaris. 

I will always look back on these last ten or some years as happy memories, but I will never regret my decision to leave. It pains me, because as much as I love protecting and helping the people, I can't do that from within the Rangers. Thank you for the lessons I have learned, skills I have earned, and friends I have made. Never-the-less, I leave you with this; If the Rangers don't want their lower ranks to leave, they must still their lips, and listen. 

I hope that my resignation may bring to light the issues the Rangers face. Perhaps no one will miss my absence, perhaps no change will happen. But in light of the Rangers' poor decision-making, blatant ignorance, and adamant stubbornness, The Order of The Boreal Forest has lost one of their only mages. Congratulations.

Good luck,

Aech Amberace Solros

HhYDVcwqD96uFB8-1yNWLzIMYZYV6WDLfix4pLauAiTqGfytQpQMrWBDEHlTLD711Av39CUESuf5hkfOABruZXMxvRt58rm5FFpdah-rxss30Ft_R99KPoQlLEfhy1wMgsaem6-m=s0

Aech signs her name in red ink, the ink splattering as she writes. There. It was done. Now, to write it again. 

RdMn8DMsrMU3owHpx6rcDgkzuFY0iI8SmCYtfdnGzLh_wi39wPvFk-6nOSHR1B6NhYLKVKgVfPzA6Xgc78sfPYFFzfL2x4zHcMpHJ3B3h9n143Rzc2qDDfN0ObXtQYJQqM0obqSH=s0

----------------------------------------------A few hours later----------------------------------------------

Aech pins a copy onto the Ranger notice board, leaving her Ranger-given armor and weapons in a pile next to it. Perhaps it would be the last time she was in the keep, if things didn't change. The second, she pins to the Elysium notice board. It wasn't enough for the Rangers to know. It was time the citizens of Elysium were not kept in the dark. She steps back, looking at The Letter of Resignation, a look of grim satisfaction on her face. It's been an honor. Aech Amberace Solros walks away from the board, never once looking back. "I need a drink."

"This is exactly what I'm talking about," Emerald huffs as they read the letter. "This is why I left too." She shakes her head as they hand it over to her close friend, Lotte (@gronnravenn). "If they can't protect us properly, do things properly, what does that say about them? About Elysium as a whole?" she grumbles, growing frustrated by the minute. In the moment, Emerald remembers a time where the Rangers had failed her and their clan. "Chief was right after all," they whispered to themselves. It brought a slight smile to her face. Emerald glances up at her friend as they get up from her seat, "Let's go back to the woods and fight it out. I need to blow off some steam."

Liluth makes her way out of the keep, stopping to look at the missives hanging upon the board. After reading both she departs, with a heavy sigh, to the Solros house. Upon entering the home she heads straight to her room ,stopping at the window she looks out to the town below. To her housemates that walk by her room soft muttering can be heard. “After years of training and working with you two, I hope I have left you with something to take out of this. I hope you have learned to  protect yourself properly. I hope you can stand in the face of danger and know when to fight or when to retreat. I hope you learned respect through the years as well as gain confidence in yourself.” The woman's words were spoken with true passion though she spoke to no one in the room. She turns away from the window and waltzes over to the flowers  taking in their sweet aroma. “I hope I have listened to your words, to your stories, to your triumphs and defeats. I want you to know I have listened and I have tried my hardest to keep you here but alas it is not my decision to make. I want you to know that I respect your decision, and I can see your reasons for leaving, and I think it is time to take the next step.” With that Liluth makes her way up to her desk, taking out some parchment and grabbing her quil she starts furiously writing. Once all of the letter’s were done and her signature labeled each. She starts sending them out. “I am going to get something done. Both of these resignations make one thing clear, we as leaders need to step up and listen to those whose voices are lost within the keep. It is time for a proper meeting.”

Edited by Sunflower

Lotte would squint at the missive, being handed it by Emerald . Brown and blue eyes scan over the paper as they held it in one hand and a heavy sigh would pass through the woman's lips. They would only look back to the wood elf with a tired expression, not really sure what to say. "..No comment." They would mutter, staring back at the letter with a troubled expression. Despite not saying anything, her own thoughts and opinions would be written on her face as clear as day. At Emerald's request, Lotte would nod before making a small passive remark. "Perhaps this means Aech could finally pursue medicine full-time." They'd shake her head with an incredulous, almost pitying laugh.

2 hours ago, avióndelta said:

"This is exactly what I'm talking about," Emerald huffs as they read the letter. "This is why I left too." She shakes her head as they hand it over to Lotte, @gronnravenn. "If they can't protect us properly, do things properly, what does that say about them?" she grumbles, growing frustrated by the minute. "Chief was right after all," they whispered to themselves. Emerald glances up at her dear friend, "Let's go back to the woods and fight it out. I need to blow off some steam."

As Brian Der Ryder reads over Aech’s letter, he would then frown. A thought would cross his mind ‘I guess it is time’ he would sigh and turn to walk to the library where he would sit at a table preparing to write his own letter. He would not hesitate as he wrote, dipping his feather into some red ink bringing his hand down starting to write. He would write swiftly, and it would not be the neatest handwriting, rather it would be difficult to read as he rushed through the process of writing out the letter.

“To the Rangers, and Eugeo de Astrea, I will be following Aech in resigning from the Rangers. The whole group is a mess of power hungry fools who are so blinded by their own foolishness that they can barely see what is going on right in front of their eyes. I have not decided whether I will remain in Elysium or not at this moment. It was amazing at first before I saw the truth of the Rangers as a whole. In Old Elysium the Rangers were an amazing group, but not long after the transition to New Elysium the true colors began to show, as they started to have more power. The only person I respect in the Rangers as a whole is Liluth Solros. I respect her because she has actually listened to the things I had to say instead of instantly taking action before I could even get my point out of my mouth. I personally believe the paladins are too involved in the matters of the city. I have a personal disdain for the paladins as they will go out of their way to attack a ghost who has done nothing wrong. They see the world as pure evil and pure good, though the way I see it is there is no such thing as a purity of either way, even the holiest of beings have corrupt thoughts, and even the most corrupt of beings have once loved something. The paladins see themselves as too pure, when it is blatantly obvious that they are the complete opposite. They only see light and darkness, not anything in between, they cannot see their own flaws and clearly show it. I will not make a false statement saying that these past few years have been enjoyable. What I will say though is that if you want Elysium to grow and the leadership roles be trusted by the lower ranks and even the citizens, you will need to get their views and listen to them, not just a select few people. If it stays the same, Elysium will end up just like Sutica, unable to control its people and will fall because of it.” 

Brian Der Ryder

He would breathe a heavy sigh after signing the paper. He would then scoot his chair back standing and looking over the letter one last time, before finally lifting it up and walking out of the library. He would bask in the sunlight thinking ‘A beautiful day, but filled with gloom’ he would then make his way over to the notice board pinning his letter directly under Aech’s, looking over both letters before closing his eyes muttering to himself “And so it begins”

"Isn't this the idiot that went and caused issues in Savoy, requiring rescue?" Muses Aobh as she reads about four sentences and tosses her copy of the missive into a fireplace. With a shake of her head, her hand idly tapped at a seafoam green hilt, traced along embossed words on the estoc's edge. "They don't make them like they used to." She'd say to no one in particular, about no topic in particular, for she was naught but a weapon for Xan's purpose these days. 

Aylin's quill hovered over the paper, hesitant to write. How does one truly organize everything that had taken place? She placed the quill back down, leaning her head into her hands, tears building, frustration rising. Another friend lost to a situation that would be so easily handled by the very Sentinel mentioned in Aech's letter. A Sentinel whos job is to keep contact between initiates and the other ranks, one that is meant to teach the initiates proper duties and how to follow orders. Why does the blame fall to others who have tried to ask over and over what needed to be done, needed to be changed? Her memories clicked, realization growing. A slight grit of her teeth, a scraping of a chair against wood echoing in the room. Her hands grabbed the letters, moving to take them to the others, to truly address the situation.

2021-09-19_22.49.32.png

2021-09-19_22.49.32-1.png

Edited by Beelzemier

45 minutes ago, Braydebn said:

As Brian Der Ryder reads over Aech’s letter, he would then frown. A thought would cross his mind ‘I guess it is time’ he would sigh and turn to walk to the library where he would sit at a table preparing to write his own letter. He would not hesitate as he wrote, dipping his feather into some red ink bringing his hand down starting to write. He would write swiftly, and it would not be the neatest handwriting, rather it would be difficult to read as he rushed through the process of writing out the letter.

“To the Rangers, and Eugeo de Astrea, I will be following Aech in resigning from the Rangers. The whole group is a mess of power hungry fools who are so blinded by their own foolishness that they can barely see what is going on right in front of their eyes. I have not decided whether I will remain in Elysium or not at this moment. It was amazing at first before I saw the truth of the Rangers as a whole. In Old Elysium the Rangers were an amazing group, but not long after the transition to New Elysium the true colors began to show, as they started to have more power. The only person I respect in the Rangers as a whole is Liluth Solros. I respect her because she has actually listened to the things I had to say instead of instantly taking action before I could even get my point out of my mouth. I personally believe the paladins are too involved in the matters of the city. I have a personal disdain for the paladins as they will go out of their way to attack a ghost who has done nothing wrong. They see the world as pure evil and pure good, though the way I see it is there is no such thing as a purity of either way, even the holiest of beings have corrupt thoughts, and even the most corrupt of beings have once loved something. The paladins see themselves as too pure, when it is blatantly obvious that they are the complete opposite. They only see light and darkness, not anything in between, they cannot see their own flaws and clearly show it. I will not make a false statement saying that these past few years have been enjoyable. What I will say though is that if you want Elysium to grow and the leadership roles be trusted by the lower ranks and even the citizens, you will need to get their views and listen to them, not just a select few people. If it stays the same, Elysium will end up just like Sutica, unable to control its people and will fall because of it.” 

Brian Der Ryder

He would breathe a heavy sigh after signing the paper. He would then scoot his chair back standing and looking over the letter one last time, before finally lifting it up and walking out of the library. He would bask in the sunlight thinking ‘A beautiful day, but filled with gloom’ he would then make his way over to the notice board pinning his letter directly under Aech’s, looking over both letters before closing his eyes muttering to himself “And so it begins”

"Admitting to failing to purge ghosts which are literally undead regardless of if they are 'harmless' or not.. Thank you for your resignation, Brian de Ryder. Your perverted desires with undead is the exact 'Sutican' behavior that you're accusing others of" 

- Eugeo. 

A 'ker would read over the notice and nod slightly. Sul leans back slightly on the bench in which he sat, simply peering up to the sky "Hm.. I don't blame you, Aech." The man speaks to himself

1 hour ago, Braydebn said:

Brian Der Ryder

Aobh Aldin, upon reading the clear bias against Paladins, cannot help but have a moment akin to:

Spoiler

the timestamp

-

"What?" She'd say, concealed visage squinting as the letter was read aloud to her. "Did he just- huh?"

"Ti." Responds her beloved friend who read the letter for her.

"Do you think he realizes that ghosts are souls who are damning themselves to a miserable eternity, fearful of the peace the afterlife brings? That it is a mercy to send them to the other side?" She'd sigh. "Do you think he's ever actually spoken...to...a paladin...?"

"Doesn't seem so, ne." Came her friend's response.

At that, Aobh Aldin pulled her blindfold down, silver-grey eyes wide in surprise and, perhaps, disdain. Jaw slack from surprise, she'd run her fingers through her hair for several moments in silent contemplation. On and on this went, almost comically so, nearly uncomfortably so, before she finally spoke again, nose scrunched as she pulled the blindfold back up. "How stupid are these valah?" 

2.png

Aylin de Astrea's eyes narrowed at the penned letters, no, now twin letters of resignation and shook her head sadly. It was clear to her, in the time she had spent knowing both Aech and reading the reports on Brian, that they rarely did anything not impulsively, recklessly...hotheadedly. From attacking Nym to Aech's mishandling a situation in Savoy, an altercation at the city gates, then Brian's multiple counts of aggravated assault, breaking and entering, to now these letters? This is the thanks they give Liluth and her attempts at reformation with the pair of them? 

Her eyes rested on the words "Evil Norland" and her lip curled, shaking her head. Clearly the young halfling had spent time with perhaps the wrong crowd, feeding them whatever nonsense there truly was to believe their youthful world was so black and white.
"Respect, dear friend," she murmured, "is something earned and not demanded. Not everyone is suited to the military life." With a backward glance before returning to her duties, Aylin looked forward to the various systems she knew were in place to aid the Rangers and perhaps assuage these feelings.  

Walking past the noticeboard, Mal would stop to look at a new not that seemed to hang. Reading both that and the acompanying note from Brian she'd let a small smile grace her lips. "Perhaps now people will start believing me when I say the rangers have problems" mal mutters under her breath, thinking that the next time she sees both leavers she'll be offering them a drink.

And with that she leaves the town, continuing on with her day, slight spring in her step.

7 hours ago, avióndelta said:

"This is exactly what I'm talking about," Emerald huffs as they read the letter. "This is why I left too." She shakes her head as they hand it over to her close friend, Lotte (@gronnravenn). "If they can't protect us properly, do things properly, what does that say about them? About Elysium as a whole?" she grumbles, growing frustrated by the minute. In the moment, Emerald remembers a time where the Rangers had failed her and their clan. "Chief was right after all," they whispered to themselves. It brought a slight smile to her face. Emerald glances up at her friend as they get up from her seat, "Let's go back to the woods and fight it out. I need to blow off some steam."

A certain Kvitravn man within the Father's Hall began to laugh...and laugh, and laugh. After a few minutes, the Kvitravn took a deep breath to recover before finally speaking. "Ah, my dear Emerald. Have Oi not told yeh so?"

Ellathor rises before the sun would and walks out of the house with an ink pot in his left hand, making his way to Volfeinz Keep. When he arrives in the courtyard he looks over the noticeboard and reads Aech's letter, after he'd walk closer to read Brian's, making a thoughtful expression form. He enters the keep and sighs in relief as the warm inside made the morning chill fade, walking in the kitchen hall he greets the rangers that would be there with a small smile and wave of his free hand. Ellathor walks in the Lord Commander's office and the places the ink pot on the table, leaning back in his palms against it, he sighs and slowly taps the table with a finger, thinking on the letters his mind was brought to the council meeting regarding the title he now has. " 'Far from perfect'. " He quotes from Aech's letter and hums, raising his gaze from his thoughts"Who are we not to listen?"

Somewhere, a recovering mali caught wind of the unrest within Elysium. She sat in her bed located in a keep far, far away, mentally exhausted and emotionally broken. For the first time in days, she sat up, her weary gaze panning around the interior of her room, and with a grunt, she slowly stood. Her limbs ached and it took her some time to dress and rid the sleep from her mind, but when she finally did, she reached a gloved hand out,  fastening her belt around her waist with carried with it a sheathed sword. “It looks like it’s time for me to step in.” Noted she, weaving her silvery locks into her signature braid and sending a nod to her two Karin who were curled up in the corner of the room before beginning the long journey south.