ON ROLEPLAY DISTINCTION

clonky

+1, i don’t think i’ve ever agreed to an insight post as much as this. oftentimes we see too much ostracizing and sudden change of character to various people in this situation. while we invest personal time into our characters and the community around us, we shouldn’t let it devolve into toxic machinations - its a spirit that can’t he encouraged on the server where people’s RP are fluid and want to have fun

3 minutes ago, bickando said:

what happened why have you posted this

I just posted this because I believe that you should be able to have fun on LOTC no matter what Roleplay you gravitate towards. 

Here's a quote from my dear friend Epistile: "Why consistently try to bring away someone else’s fun because you oocly disagree with it"

I believe this quote solely sums up the reason why I posted this, and what the post entails! 

sorry for bullying you yesterday I didn’t think ud make an insight post about it

3 minutes ago, Werew0lf said:

sorry for bullying you yesterday I didn’t think ud make an insight post about it

LOL…

I remember being in Church of the Canon discord and there were a significant number of people who had the belief that if you play a character that is opposing their character, they have the responsibility to ban you from every discord where they have mod rights and that you clearly "aren't being a friend."

"It's just smart. You clearly don't have my best interests at heart."

I've heard that there have been people who were banned from Discords just for attending the Dumapalooza that my little vassal city put on. This shouldn't be normal behavior. It should be called out. It should get the people who let these IC conflicts disrupt OOC relationships ostracized from this community.

40 minutes ago, Burnsider said:

I remember being in Church of the Canon discord and there were a significant number of people who had the belief that if you play a character that is opposing their character, they have the responsibility to ban you from every discord where they have mod rights and that you clearly "aren't being a friend."

"It's just smart. You clearly don't have my best interests at heart."

I've heard that there have been people who were banned from Discords just for attending the Dumapalooza that my little vassal city put on. This shouldn't be normal behavior. It should be called out. It should get the people who let these IC conflicts disrupt OOC relationships ostracized from this community.

I think this is the kind of behaviour that should be cut down. It's flagrant how much of an OOC game certain groups of people play, with an utmost disregard for a narrative that does not end with a personal victory. I should take the example of when Qizu burned down the Providence Cathedral, creating an OOC outcry against what had been a rare case of dynamic roleplay. 

Edit : I think its also fair to mention that Qizu and the associated Azdrazi were messaged by certain players, intended to threaten their actions, and manipulate how they behaved IRP through OOC mediums, something that seems increasingly pervasive in certain communities who care more about outcomes than storytelling. 

We can compare the OOC outcry of the Cathedral, to the downfall of Ando-Lur, which by comparison was very well received by a community that was willing to move on and take the whole affair as a bout of tasteful roleplay. 

In the end, it's not about winning. It's about creating a story. More steps should be taken to enforce this, crack down on problematic groups. 

1 hour ago, Werew0lf said:

You'll never beat Muffins writing her post "On Toxicity and Kindness" about me though wwolf...

1 hour ago, Jentos said:

snip

tbh, i think theres a huge problem with human rp and creating storylines. human rp is largely centered around nobility, nobility can create drama, so on and so forth. for example: rebecca wants to be the queen of the Kingdom of pete burns, and devises a plot with her friends to help her, however, jenny becomes the queen. now heres where it can go two ways, rebecca can continue to fight for it, or she can simply give up and say "oh well. maybe next time!" (which, usually happens).

i really wish human rp'ers wouldn't get pissy when someone wants to create tasteful, dynamic, storylines instead of just "curtys to the queen of pete burns' kingdom*" or whatever. while court rp and more laid-back rp can be fun, it can get boring really quickly when you don't create enough drama, events, or just repeat events over and over again. (also not to mention court rp isn't the center of rp).

i remember during the sutican war, the suticans or ferrymen or whoever sent locusts to eat/destroy all our crops; what i thought would happen is that we would rp out a famine because of this, yet- players screamed that they needed food and strongly opposed this.

a lot of my critiques on human rp revolves around this, since i've played a majority of human characters

Roleplay is a medium best suited for a small group of friends.

You will never have fun if you are playing in someone else's sandbox.

52 minutes ago, DrakeHaze. said:

Roleplay is a medium best suited for a small group of friends.

You will never have fun if you are playing in someone else's sandbox.

This is the kind of ideology which brings people to scream out in OOC. This is a server - states, and individuals will collide, and they must, because that's the thrill, it's the entire point of LoTC's geopolitics, except these are often marred by jaded individuals incomprehensibly angry that people have different ideas and desires in roleplay, and might even influence them, including aggressive and unethical behaviour. Roleplay is mean to be fluid, to be about interaction first and foremost, and to roleplay only with small groups leads to eventual stagnation, to a certain staleness.

If roleplay indeed is better suited for a small group of friends, and you foremost care for the highest quality of roleplay, then by all means set up a private server. Otherwise, we have to know to let go of our ego when it comes to interacting with each other.

We can share a sandbox, and have fun. It's entirely possible, but it all depends on the mindset of the different parties involved. But if we're all reaching for a non-existent crown while jabbing at each other through means other than roleplay, then we have a problem. We have to accept that we are here to roleplay, to play a role. And that includes losing, being lying to, to get fooled. People unwilling to accept those losses are the problem. 

NooooOOOOOoooo you can't just roleplay your character in a way that might harm mine even if it makes roleplay sense, my pixel doll IS me, its all I have, and you're a bad friend and a shitty person and a ***** nooooooo.