XXXIII Session of Royal Duma

Office of the Lord Speaker

19 minutes ago, Office of the Lord Speaker said:

Haurul Caezk is too challenging for the common man to understand.

Abraham has trouble understanding all this big legal words and potential loop holes on the lawbooks. "How about I just don't kill, don't assault, and don't slander, and don't steal.. pay my taxes.. and there I'll be fine." He'd shut the book, never having gotten past the first page despite being quite literate in Common, natively fluent in New Ghanwua, and semi-fluent in Blah.

TRANSCRIPT FROM THE 394 SITTING

OF THE XXXIII SESSION OF THE ROYAL DUMA

eBsIVCJCmaCqB72Shl_v9gg3zj4qTIElqnalIxHLve4Vx6ChRzCnar7UBxLOrmgs1RV1sj93WFNurUN2xayHr3wx7BQe6VaaIt2LNjXlNmsfIqAQWeKhvgiL83fjz62Z4w

From the Office of the Lord Speaker.

On this 6th of Tov and Yermey, 394 E.S.

ROLL CALL

IN ATTENDANCE

Herzen Baruch

Herzen Ruthern

Komit Barclay

Komit Kortrevich

Vikomit Amador

Bossir Ludovar

Bossir Mondblume

Bossir Morovar

Royal Alderman Raden Decaden

Royal Alderwoman Iris Peregrin

Grand Maer May

Lord Palatine Baruch

IN ABSENTIA

N/A

Ruslan Baruch: “Order! This sitting of this 6th of Tov and Yermey, 394 E.S. session of His Majesty’s Royal Duma shall now come to order. Quorum has been achieved, and the sitting shall now begin. Last duma, we were debating on matters of the Haurul Caezk. We may continue that debate, we’ll see how things go.”

“We shall now be discussing the Azdrazi Inquisition Bill of 394 E.S, written by Representative Barclay. The chair calls upon Representative Barclay to give his opening remarks to the chamber.”

Franz Wilheim: “As we all here know, we are in a war against the Azdrazi scourge. [...] And, even the nobility of the Canonist lands are not safe from infestation. No institution is safe, and as such, action must be taken to reinforce the current legislation to prevent such a disease from spreading. This bill shall amend the current legislation, and add in a new section, stating that those found to be Azdrazi, or Heralds, and might flee Haense, shall be stripped of property, their status and all rights associated with such. Thank you.”

Ruslan Baruch: “The chair now opens the floor for unmoderated debate.”

Robert Ludovar: “I see no reason why any good canonist would have objections to this.”

Feodor May: “Agreed.”

Issak Amador: “Yes.”

Feodor May: “If nobody else speaks up, I motion to vote.”

Issak Amador: “I second the motion.”

Ruslan Baruch: “The motion is overruled.”

Robert Ludovar: “This aids the Inquisition set by our Holy Mother church.”

Aleksandr Ruthern: “You have to remove the mention of the Canonist Inquisition. The King already removed it from the previous Azdrazi Inquisition Act Bill that passed through here.”

Franz Wilheim: “It contains an amendment to previous legislation that contains such a mention, Lord Ruthern.”

Aleksandr Ruthern: “No. The one that was passed into law by the King’s own announcement does not include the mention of the Canonist Inquisition."

Ruslan Baruch: “You may ask your question, Lieutenant Flemius.”

Lieutenant Flemius: “It says here; ‘Those in violation of sections 433.05 or 433.06 shall be subject to immediate seizure of their property.’ [...] Does immediate mean upon suspicion first arising, or after being found guilty by the court?”

Feodor May: “Suspicion of being an Azdrazi does not equal being an Azdrazi, thus does not break the law, no?”

Franz Wilheim: “I’m sure the King himself would be overseeing such a ruling, yes? Seizure of property, their home, et cetera, depriving them of ability to set up shop in this monst Canonist nation would surely reach the ear of the King, and he himself rules over the Justice of the land.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “The King gives the Judicial office the extent to wield the power of such a trial.”

Franz Wilheim: “Though, he can at times delegate.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “That is what he does, Mister Franz, it is up to the High Justiciar.”

Franz Wilheim: “Having read my copy of the Haurul Caezk, it shall be amended as the Ruthern stated. Striking out from it anything I accidentally placed within that doesn’t match up to the Haurul Caezk is not an intended amendment to current legislation.”

Issak Amador: “The question seems to be answered by the Lord Speaker, so I shall renew the motion to vote.”

Robert Ludovar: “I second the motion.”

Ruslan Baruch: “Very well. Lieutenant Flemius, is your question answered?”

Lieutenant Flemius: “Yes, I believe so.”

Ruslan Baruch: “The motion is passed, we’ll move to a vote.”

AZDRAZI INQUISITION ACT OF 394 E.S.

By Johann Barclay

AYE

Herzen Ruthern

Komit Barclay

Komit Kortrevich

Vikomit Amador

Bossir Ludovar

Bossir Mondblume

Grand Maer May

NAY

Herzen Baruch

Bossir Morovar

ABSTAIN

Lord Palatine Baruch

ABSENT

N/A

The Azdrazi Inquisition Act has passed through the Royal Duma.

Ruslan Baruch: “We shall now be discussing the Crowns and Circlets Act of 394 E.S, written by Representative Barclay. The chair calls upon Representative Barclay to give his opening remarks to the chamber.”

Franz Wilheim: “Don’t panic, don’t panic. Ignore the bill name, read the contents. Another for all your Canonism lovers, technically right now the usage of circlets in Ruskan Rite weddings is illegal. And as such, as the Haurul Caezk was not amended after the imposition of the Ruskan Rite, such should be done. And I’m sure that new jewellery stores would appreciate it, as all can go purchase some nice new shiny circlets for their wedding.”

Aleksandr Ruthern: “This is a simple change for something already in practice. I motion to vote.”

Issak Amador: “I second the motion.”

Ruslan Baruch: “The motion is overruled, continue to speak.”

Franz Morovar: “Does it matter much if it's technically illegal or not if the crown does not actively prosecute?”

Feodor May: “Last duma we spoke about making the Haurul Caezk more befitting of Hassani culture and tradition. I think this is a great first step.”

Robert Ludovar: “I see no issue with this, but I assume that the bride and groom are not allowed to wear it outside of the ceremony. Just for clarifications sake.” 

Franz Wilheim: “Of course. It’s momentarily placed on their heads during the ceremony.”

Issak Amador: “There isn’t a debate, it’s all people agreeing with one another.”

Feodor May: “Yeah.”

Robert Ludovar: “Alright, then I see no reason to debate this.”

Ruslan Baruch: “Franz Barbanov has a question, Lord Amador.”

Franz Morovar: “I could care less about this legislation. I simply presume that the Crown is wise enough to not prosecute even if it remains illegal. [...] which would make this entire thing pointless. The Crown respects the culture as is.”

Franz Wilheim: “So let us vote, hm?”

Kaustantin Baruch: “The Crown wishes to have the cultural aspect of Haense rekindled. Therefore, it believes the amendment is necessary, to enshrine the Ruskan Rites as they are obviously made to be legal.”

Feodor May: “One could also argue that it is pointless not to pass this bill then.”

Franz Wilheim: “Most of the legislation in the Haurul Caezk has never been used to bring anyone to court regardless, and yet is there, hm?”

Karl Grassley: “One could argue the Ruskan Rite should be changed to the law of the land, not the law of the land to the Ruskan Rite.”

Franz Wilheim: “The traditions of religion should come above those of the state.”

Feodor May: “Agreed.”

Franz Wilheim: “Godan is above the King, the Church is above the State.”

Feodor May: “Law follows religion, not the other way around.”

Aleksandr Ruthern: “You want the Ruskan Rite to change based on an issue with the lettering of the law?”

Franz Morovar: “The law must show the desires of the Haeseni, let us just get a vote over with.”

Feodor May: “Yes, I second the motion to vote.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “Godan may be the temporal authority, yet the Judicial Courts remain secular.”

Karl Grassley: “A ‘tradition’ that has only recently come about, the law is precedent, should stay as such.”

Ruslan Baruch: “Very well, we shall proceed to a vote.”

CROWNS AND CIRCLETS ACT OF 394 E.S.

By Johann Barclay

AYE

Herzen Ruthern

Komit Barclay

Komit Kortrevich

Vikomit Amador

Bossir Ludovar

Bossir Mondblume

Bossir Morovar

Grand Maer May

Lord Palatine Baruch

NAY

Herzen Baruch

ABSTAIN

N/A

ABSENT

N/A

The Crowns and Circlets Act has passed through the Royal Duma.

Ruslan Baruch: “Lord Palatine Baruch, present the Duma with your petition.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “Representatives of the Haeseni people. As many of you know, many of Haense’s great minds have resigned from their post in the last court session, into retirement like my mentor, the previous Lord Palatine, Adrian Colborn.”

“Along with Viktor Kortrevich, who remains one of the greatest scholars in Haeseni history. Therefore, it is His Majesty’s wish to see the Royal Duma find it fit to elevate and knight those men to the Order of Queen Maya and the Lily. For they are who gave time and toil onto the improvement of our Kingdom.”

“All of these men and their great deeds have shown results in all parts of the Aulic Government and the Courts, I could go on, but I call the Representatives to debate on their proposed elevation.”

Ruslan Baruch: “The floor opens for unmoderated debate, what does the Duma think of these candidates?”

Aleksandr Ruthern: “No offense, but the contribution of Otto Morovar far exceeds what the former Lord Palatine did. The Royal Treasurer, alongside Fionn Castaway, brought us out of a recession. Mister Adrian also made my cousin out to be a liar in front of the entire court. I find that hard pressed to be remembered as an empathetic and an excellent communicator.”

Franz Morovar: “What about Tatiana Kortrevich! Oh my god, we’re forgetting here!”

Karl Grassley: “Who? I’m against all women.”

Ruslan Baruch: “Tatiana Kortrevich is the wife of Lord Jan Kortrevich, for the record.”

Franz Morovar: “The second greatest High Justiciar this country has ever seen! [...] After Lauritz Christiansen.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “Tatiana Kortrevch served at the time of the Seventh Chapter, I’m afraid, these candidates are for the Eighth Chapter of the Order.”

Franz Morovar: “I am sure that Lady Ruthern can be included in the Eighth Chapter, Lord Palatine. It is as simple as writing her into it. It would only be fair, she was rather revolutionary in her work. Especially that tight dress she used to wear.”

Ruslan Baruch: “Tatiana Kortrevich is still alive, Franz Morovar”

Franz Morovar: “She is?”

Robert Ludovar: “Has the Seventh Chapter even be published/”

Karl Grassley: “Women can’t be knights! What a jest!”

Ruslan Baruch: “Representative Ruthern has an issue with the raising of Otto Morovar and former Lord Palatine Colborn. Is there any debate against this?”

[REDACTED]

Franz Morovar: “Alright, elevate Viktor Kortrevich? Cool. Otto Morovar? Great! Fionn Castaway? Love the guy. Adrian Col...? Are we elevating every Lord Palatine in our history now? [...] With little regard for achievement?”

Robert Ludovar: “Last I checked the architect Ellisar Aevaris and the former Lord Speaker were meant to be inducted in the Seventh Chapter. Surely we have to add them to it.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “That will be looked into, Lord Ludovar. Anyhow, it is not the time to talk about previous and possible candidates, speak about the current ones.”

Franz Morovar: “Aleksandr Ruthern, fellow. What do you say about Lord Palatine Colborn?”

Aleksandr Ruthern: “I say he was a poor one as Palatine’s go.”

Robert Ludovar: “As for the current subjects in mind, I think the efforts of the former Lord Palatine, Royal Treasurer, and High Seneschal all warrant an induction into the Order.”

Karl Grassley: “Mister Speaker, may we be reminded of the candidates, I’m sorry, my head is swimming with different thoughts.”

Ruslan Baruch: “Yes, the candidates are… Adrian Colborn, Fionn Castaway, Otto Morovar and Viktor Kortrevich.”

Robert Ludovar: “Lieutenant Fionn has served diligently for decades, serving as the second-longest serving Lord Handler other than His Excellency, the Lord Speaker. As well as the revival of the Office of the High Seneschal after the failures of my aunt.”

Feodor May: “Stewardry is also a lot of work, so I support Fionn Castaway’s nomination.”

Franz Morovar: “I’ll agree with all of these nominations, if Marcella Barclay and Tatiana Kortrevich are included. Those are my thoughts.”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “No no no! Marcella did [REDACTED] all! She made a map, that’s literally it.”

Franz Wilheim: “Neither, stick with debating the current four.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “Such a thing could not be done, as Marcella Barclay and Tatiana Kortrevich both served in the previous King’s reign.”

[REDACTED CONVERSATION]

Ruslan Baruch: “Order! If I hear one more mumble out of any of you, you’re getting thrown out.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “Lord Speaker, I motion to vote on each one of the candidates to end this.”

Karl Grassley: “Mister Speaker, there are brats interrupting the Duma.”

Ruslan Baruch: “Little girl, remove yourself now.”

Franz Morovar: “I refuse to vote until Lady Marcella Barclay and Lady Tatiana Kortrevich and Lady Adalia de Astrea and Lady Rosalind Amador are included in our considerations.”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “No, please no. Marcellay literally did nothing notable.”

Aleksandr Ruthern: “I have no qualms with the rest of the candidates other than Adrian Colborn, Lord Speaker.”

Karl Grassley: “I’m attempting to concentrate on the Duma, but they’ve made me forget, can you once again repeat the candidates?”

Ruslan Baruch: “Lieutenant Flemius, remove that child. The child will be removed, and we will vote on the current candidates.

“We shall move to a vote.”

Karl Grassley: “Wait! Who are the candidates?”

Ruslan Baruch: “The candidates are… Adrian Colborn, Fionn Castaway, Otto Morovar and Viktor Kortrevich.”

Franz Morovar: “And Marcellay Barclay!”

Ruslan Baruch: “Guard, remove Franz Barbanov from the duma hall! [...] We will now move to a vote.”

Feodor May: “Lord Speaker, can we please vote on them separately?”

Ruslan Baruch: “Yes, we’ll move to a vote.”

NOMINATIONS TO THE 

ORDER OF QUEEN MAYA AND THE LILY

Adrian Colborn, Fionn Castaway, Otto Morovar, Viktor Kortrevich

By Konstantin Baruch

AYE

Herzen Baruch (3/4)

Herzen Ruthern (3/4)

Komit Barclay (4/4)

Komit Kortrevich (3/4)

Vikomit Amador (3/4)

Bossir Ludovar (4/4)

Bossir Mondblume (4/4)

Bossir Morovar (3/4)

Royal Alderman Raden Decaden (4/4)

Royal Alderwoman Iris Peregrin (4/4)

Grand Maer May (3/4)

Lord Palatine Baruch (4/4)

NAY

Herzen Baruch (Adrian Colborn)

Herzen Ruthern (Adrian Colborn)

Komit Kortrevich (Adrian Colborn)

Vikomit Amador (Adrian Colborn)

Bossir Morovar (Adrian Colborn)

Grand Maer May (Adrian Colborn)

ABSTAIN

N/A

ABSENT

N/A

The Royal Duma voted in favor for Fionn Castaway and Otto Morovar to be knighted to the rank of Knight (KML) and for Viktor Kortrevich to be elevated to the rank of Knight Commander (HKML).

The Royal Duma does not come to a consensus on Adrian Colborn being knighted; final vote (6-6)

Ruslan Baruch: “Duma is hereby dismissed.”

TRANSCRIPT FROM THE 395 SITTING

eBsIVCJCmaCqB72Shl_v9gg3zj4qTIElqnalIxHLve4Vx6ChRzCnar7UBxLOrmgs1RV1sj93WFNurUN2xayHr3wx7BQe6VaaIt2LNjXlNmsfIqAQWeKhvgiL83fjz62Z4w

On this 4th of Tov and Yermey, 395 E.S.

ROLL CALL

IN ATTENDANCE

Herzen Baruch

Herzen Ruthern

Komit Barclay

Komit Kortrevich

Vikomit Amador

Bossir Ludovar

Bossir Mondblume

Bossir Morovar

Lord Palatine Baruch

IN ABSENTIA

Grand Maer May

Eirik Baruch: “First of all. You’re probably wondering why I’m sitting in as Lord Speaker today.”

Franz Wilheim: “Not really.”

Eirik Baruch: “My father is visiting the doctor, and Lord Ludovar is likewise unavailable to host, so I’ll be acting as Lord Speaker for today. First, we got Lord Kortrevich’s Alibi Defense Act. Representative Kortrevich, please present your bill for the Duma.”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “Throughout the entirety of the Jura I Sparveed chapter of the Haurul Caezk, there is no mention of an Alibi being a viable legal defense. Simply put, this act shall formally establish an Alibi as a legal defense for accused parties to utilize in legal proceedings; both criminal and civil.”

Eirik Baruch: “Alright, unmoderated debate is on. Anyone got anything?”

Erwin Bishop: “I motion to vote.”

Eleanora Amador: “I second the motion.”

ALIBI DEFENSE ACT OF 395 E.S.

By Vladrik Kortrevich

AYE

Herzen Baruch

Herzen Ruthern

Komit Barclay

Komit Kortrevich

Vikomit Amador

Bossir Ludovar

Bossir Mondblume

Bossir Morovar

NAY

N/A

ABSTAIN

Lord Palatine Baruch

ABSENT

Grand Maer Feodor May

The Alibi Defense Act has passed through the Royal Duma.

Eirik Baruch: “Next, I need you all to do some reading, can you do that?”

Franz Wilheim: “Yes Mister Baruch.”

Eirik Baruch: “Good. We will be debating the Crown’s letter to the Duma about matrimony. Please read then the Lord Palatine will speak thereafter. You’ve got five minutes for reading time while I head to the loo!”

“I’m back from the loo, has everyone read?”

Otto Morovar: “I’ve finished it! I’ve also formed my opinion.”

Eirik Baruch: “Alright, take it away Lord Palatine.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “In light of the Sigmundic Era’s pursuit of shining culture and a stronger emphasis on tradition, we’ve keenly seen how marriage traditions have gone very rare around the Kingdom. We therefore forward the question to the Duma, shall these traditions be made into law for nobility? Or only in encouragement? It is the Crown’s wish for revival of culture, and it asks the Duma to give it’s discretion in legislation and debate.”

Eirik Baruch: “We will proceed with moderated debate. Representative Barclay, go ahead.”

Franz Wilheim: “Why is the Crown saying we must reform the Haurul Caezk, and make it shorter and such, but is also trying to recommend needless legislation? I see no reason for this to be enriched into law.”

Raden Decaden: “I agree, this would be something that each house should decide, not something that should be required by law.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “We do not have to pursue this into law, Representative Barclay, we simply extend the question to the Duma if it should be made into law. We maintain our neutrality on the topic.”

Franz Wilheim: “Of course it shouldn’t. A needless question.”

Petra Barbanov: “Putting it into law is a bit excessive, in my opinion. Educational routes can be taken to ensure that the culture is properly revived, no?”

Franz Wilheim: “If the crown feels these values and traditions should be pushed, let them be pushed. Let the nobility and commonality be encouraged, but it shouldn’t even be contemplated to put into law.”

Otto Morovar: “True! I would not want to be forced into Ser Karl’s cousins aunts sisters marriage tradition.”

Eirik Baruch: “Well, since you're all talking anyway, I guess debate is now unmoderated. Carry on.”

Eleanora Amador: “Yes, there is no need to sign it into law, when proper education can do the job just as easily. It seems rather unwise, no? To make our culture dependent on law.”

Rhys Ruthern: “I motion to vote.”

Petra Barbanov: “I second the motion.”

Franz Wilheim: “Surely it’d be better to debate how to have such education, rather than trying to force it with law.”

Kaustantin Baruch: “It was never in the Crown’s pursuit to push something into law rather let the Duma debate on it.”

Franz Wilheim: “Maybe it is up to the nobles, officials and crown themselves to teach such things to their children.”

Eleanora Amador: “Yes, I agree.”

Franz Wilheim: “I know, Mister Lord Palatine, I’m saying education should be done instead of putting it into law, not saying you’re forcing anything. Anyhow, I third Lord Ruthern’s motion to vote.”

Eirik Baruch: “Is this… not only a debate?”

Franz Wilheim: “I don’t know.”

Eirik Baruch: “I see no reason to vote on a debate. I take it you’re all content with the contents of the debate, then?”

Petra Barbanov: “Yes, Lord Baruch.”

Franz Wilheim: “Most of the duma has made their view clear.”

Eirik Baruch: “Very well, I believe that is the agenda for the day. The session is over, good work.”

SUMMARY OF THE DEBATE ON MATRIMONY

By the Crown

The Royal Duma was against legally enforcing marriage culture and tradition into the Haurul Caezk, on the basis that enforcing such a law would be unnecessarily excessive, and add to further bloating a Haurul Caezk which the Crown is already opting to reduce in size.

However, the Royal Duma did state that it believed more could be done to educate the populace on the marriage culture and traditions of our Kongzem, and would rather that education and encouragement be offered, instead of legal enforcement.

TRANSCRIPT FROM THE 396 SITTING

On this 5th of Tov and Yermey, 396 E.S.

ROLL CALL

IN ATTENDANCE

Herzen Baruch

Komit Barclay

Komit Kortrevich

Vikomit Amador

Bossir Ludovar

Bossir Mondblume

Bossir Morovar

Lord Palatine Baruch

IN ABSENTIA

Herzen Ruthern

Grand Maer May

Rhys Ruthern: “Order! This sitting of the 5th of Tov and Yermey, 396 E.S, session of His Majesty’s Royal Duma shall now come to order. We shall now be discussing the Committee for Haurul Caezk Review proposal, written by Eirik Baruch. The chair calls upon Eirik Baruch to give his opening remarks to the chamber.”

Eirik Baruch: “Hello, Royal Duma. The Crown wishes to follow up on prior discussions regarding the Haurul Caezk by establishing a committee to review and reform it. It is rather simple. The Crown merely wishes for the support of the Royal Duma to establish this committee. That is all.”

Karl Grassley: “I vote yes, let’s move on, I’m losing daylight here!”

Johann Ludovar: “I do not think there is a need for discussion, the offer sounds reasonable.”

Eleanora Amador: “I motion to vote.”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “Who will be on this committee, Lord Baruch? Or who do you think will be on this committee?”

Karl Grassley: “Who would chair it more importantly?”

Eirik Baruch: “As it states in the proposal. The Crown will select who will be on the Committee, people who believe themselves may volunteer themselves. I assume the High Justiciar, Lord Palatine, and a good handy few of the noble lords will be certain to sit on it. Who will chair it is another question, one of which I’m not sure. It depends on who the Crown wishes to be on it, though the Lord Palatine or the High Justiciar would be reasonable chairs, no? Or perhaps a Jovenaar.”

Karl Grassley: “Jovenaars. What a bloody joke, can we vote now, I’ve got to get back to Lake Voron.”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “I don’t trust the High Justiciar, who even is he again?”

Eirik Baruch: “The High Justiciar is Casimir Colborn, Lord Kortrevich.”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “That’s news to me, has anyone seen him recently?”

Eirik Baruch: “I do not feel it relevant whether or not anyone’s seen the High Justiciar recently. He will not necessarily head the committee.”

Karl Grassley: “Well he’s in charge of law, is he not?”

Rhys Ruthern: “I never opened the floor for unmoderated debate. Let us just pretend I did.”

Johann Ludovar: “I think it should be more than just one person, I think representation from commoners will also be needed to make it more accessible for commoners.”

Franz Wilheim: “Perhaps another committee should decide who shall chair this committee?”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “That’s a r*tarded idea.”

Karl Grassley: “Well that’s just mental! Concurred with the Kortrevich, that’s a good word, its r*tarded!”

Eleanora Amador: “I believe we’ve missed the point of the proposal. This is merely deciding if we will have a committee. Said committee is not being staffed now.”

Rhys Ruthern: “Mind your words Representative Kortrevich.”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “Okay r*tard.”

Otto Morovar: “Hahaha!”

Karl Grassley: “Hear hear!”

Eirik Baruch: “I’ve said all I need to say, Lord Speaker.”

Rhys Ruthern: “Does anyone else have something to wish to add on the matter or can we proceed to the vote to see if this proposal shall be presented to the King?”

Eleanora Amador: “I motion to vote.”

Johann Ludovar: “I second the motion to vote.”

Rhys Ruthern: “Motion accepted. The vote will now commence.”

COMMITTEE FOR HAURUL CAEZK REVIEW

By The Crown

AYE

Komit Barclay

Vikomit Amador

Bossir Ludovar

Bossir Mondblume

Bossir Morovar

Royal Alderman Iris Peregrin

Lord Palatine Baruch

NAY

N/A

ABSTAIN

Herzen Baruch

Komit Kortrevich

ABSENT

Herzen Ruthern

Grand Maer Feodor May

The Committee for Haurul Caezk Review proposal has passed through the Royal Duma.

Rhys Ruthern: “Now! Does anyone have anything else they wish to discuss at this sitting of the Royal Duma?”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “Lord Speaker, could the Royal Duma form a list of no-no words for this Chamber? I think it’s important, so you know, no sky gods come flying down onto my lap again.”

Karl Grassley: “Oh that was real? Thought I was just seeing things.”

Rhys Ruthern: “Yes, I’ll speak with my uncle about it but I can tell you now ‘r*tard’ is one of them.”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “Good.”

Rhys Ruthern: “Duma is hereby dismissed.”

TRANSCRIPT FROM THE 396 SITTING

On this 5th of Tov and Yermey, 397 E.S.

ROLL CALL

IN ATTENDANCE

Herzen Baruch

Herzen Ruthern

Komit Barclay

Komit Kortrevich

Vikomit Amador

Bossir Ludovar

Bossir Mondblume

Bossir Morovar

Grand Maer May

Lord Palatine Baruch

IN ABSENTIA

N/A

Rhys Ruthern: “Order! This sitting of the 5th of Tov and Yermey, 397 E.S, session of His Majesty’s Royal Duma shall now come to order. We shall now be discussing the Judicial Reform to the Haurul Caezk Proposal of 397 E.S, presented by Lord Palatine Baruch. The chair calls upon Lord Palatine Baruch to give his opening remarks.

Kaustantin Baruch: “Aldermen, Herzens and Representatives, I’m proud to announce that the Committee to review the Haurul Caezk has approved of the Crown’s ideal documents to reform the Aulic Court. The Royal Bill is of utmost importance, it negates the grueling process of law that every-day citizens have trouble to read or understand. It furthermore simplifies the rule of action that BSK men have trouble dealing with regarding lowly criminals. I’d like to open the floor for debate, to see who has criticism of his Majesty’s reforms.

Viktor Barclay: “I motion to vote.”

Isaak Amador: “No.”

Rhys Ruthern: “The chair now opens the floor for unmoderated debate.”

Isaak Amador: “I left a note for the Speaker because I was not sure if I would be here on time, but since I am I will make my points. For starters, section 441 needs to be reworded. The current wording makes it seem as though no agent of the crown can be put to trial for anything, ever. If the intention is to say that agents of the Crown may have to break the law while performing their duties, that should be made more clearly stated in the letter of the law. As for military judgement, I’d assume that an attempt to contact the Justiciar or a Jovenaar must be made before soldiers issue judgements, but I’d sleep better at night if that were also included in the wording.

Kaustantin Baruch: “Anybody else, Hieromar Kortrevich? Unusually quiet.”

Hieromar Kortrevich: “I have to go, Eleanora Amador is going to be filling in for me.”

~Eleanora Amador arrives~

Robert Ludovar: “It already says that if it is impossible to contact the High Justiciar or Jovenaar, Vikomit Amador. We do not need endless words added for clarification when there are already enough words written in that sub-section. If contact is impossible, it is assumed that contact was already attempted.”

Eirik Baruch: “I think Section 442 is unnecessary, quite frankly.”

Isaak Amador: “And who is to judge whether or not it is impossible? If a soldier simply says ‘we could not find one’ without actually having tried it, then I feel sorry for the poor sod that’s going to die.”

Eirik Baruch: “There is no reason to restrict what a valid legal defense is into law, any just argument that can convince the Jovenaar of guilt or innocence should be valid.”

Robert Ludovar: “I think it does not belong in Chapter 4, Jura I Krima, but rather in Chapter 3, Juri I Sparveed. Do you doubt the judgement of the soldiers who you trust with your own life, Vikomit?”

Isaak Amador: “Da.”

Kaustantin Baruch:Why is that?”

Isaak Amador: “If I should be the one arrested, and believe I have a fair chance if given a trial, yet the soldier decides I am not good enough for a trial and says one is impossible to contact, then I am done for. I am sure most soldiers are fine, but this is execution.”

Robert Ludovar: “Then simply increase the rank requirement.”

Isaak Amador: “We must be very clear on what circumstances allow for the taking of a life.”

Robert Ludovar: “With a higher rank comes a higher judgement and trust.”

Viktor Barclay: “I do not trust the fat lady (referring to Dame Tavisha Morovar).”

Isaak Amador: “And if the officers have political motivations?”

Robert Ludovar: “Then they’d be investigated promptly and would be disciplined via Military Tribunal.”

Isaak Amador: “And a man is still dead. I do not know about you, Baron Ludovar, but I’d prefer not to die in the first place than to be avenged after the fact.”

Robert Ludovar: “If an officer is able to assume military command over the lives of hundreds, why would you doubt their judgement when it comes to punishment?”

Isaak Amador: If a Barclay were captured by a Ducal Union officer while the Ducal Union was still in effect, can you honestly tell me that the Barclay should take comfort and trust that his political enemy will do the right thing?”

Robert Ludovar: “If a BSK soldier is expected to dispose of a threat, why halt their duties?”

Viktor Barclay: “A Barclay would not commit the crime, Vikomit Amador.

Isaak Amador: “Purely a hypothetical.”

Viktor Barclay: “Bad hypothetical.”

Robert Ludovar: “Read the sub-section again, Amador. ‘Should the High Justiciar or Jovenaars be impossible to contact or if the accused presents such a threat that waiting for a trial will lead to further harm or wrongdoing, soldiers of the Brotherhood of Saint Karl may execute the accused.’

Isaak Amador: “So if a soldier lies and a man dies it is okay because the soldier will be punished after the fact?”

Feodor May: “If I may suggest a compromise?”

Robert Ludovar: ‘Presents such a threat that waiting for a trial will lead to further harm of wrongdoing.’

Isaak Amador: “That is only one of two situations in that section.”

Robert Ludovar: “This suggests that the accused is a threat.”

Isaak Amador: “I speak of the former.”

Robert Ludovar: “What is this compromise you suggest, Maer May?”

Eirik Baruch: “Can we move on to voting on a concrete amendment for this Bill? I am sure everyone has heard enough of this debate to vote on such a thing.”

Rhys var Ruthern: “We will wait for the Grand Maer’s suggestion but if that still does not suit either side then, da, we will.

Feodor May: “How about Section 441 is amended to say ‘shall not necessarily be tried by the Aulic Court.’ That way, if a soldier kills an obvious enemy, such can be shrugged off without trial. Yet if he is suspected of murder or assassination for alternative. Motives, he can still be tried.”

Robert Ludovar: “I do believe that the rank of the soldier should be increased, as most soldiers below the rank of Armsman do not have the proper experience for judgement.”

Feodor May: “I do wish to add though that a sub-section should be created with which positions are considered agents of the Crown and which are not.”

Robert Ludovar: “I concur with both of the Grand Maer’s suggestions.”

Eirik Baruch: “I am sure the Crown can make clear which positions are agents of the Crown without adding it to the Haurul Caezk.”

Feodor May: “Good, Vikomit Amador, does that amendment sound good to you?”

Isaak Amador: “Sure.”

Feodor May: “Then we are all in agreement, yes?”

Isaak Amador: “Just hurry it up.”

Eirik Baruch: “What exactly is the proposal for this amendment?”

Rhys var Ruthern: “Are there any other issues anyone has with the proposal from the Lord Palatine?”

Robert Ludovar: “I think everyone who needed to speak, spoke.”

Feodor May: “Yes.”

Eirik Baruch: “I do think that Section 442 is unnecessary to have in the Haurul Caezk. We have no reason to restrict what is a legal defense and what is not. Should be allowed to plead innocent through any means, really, it is on the Justiciar and the Jovenaars to determine whether it is a good argument or not.

Isaak Amador: “Yes and fix Section 441.”

Eirik Baruch: “I see no reason to only have it be those specific three things, when there can be a plethora of reasons for you to plead innocence. Should remove Section 442 entirely, to be honest.”

Feodor May: “I do concur, I see not where the need for Section 442 comes from.”

Robert Ludovar: “I do not think it belongs there either.”

Viktor Barclay: “I concur with Baruch, remove Section 442 and implement the Maer’s amendment for Section 441, then we can approve.”

Robert Ludovar: “If anything it should go in Chapter 3, if even included in the Haurul Caezk at all.”

Eirik Baruch: “And it should not be included, at all. That is all I have got though.”

Rhys Ruthern: “Enough of this, does anyone disagree with Herzen Baruch’s recommendation?”

Kaustantin Baruch: “I abstain, as representative of the Crown.”

Robert Ludovar: “No one seems to argue anymore. May we move to a vote?”

Isaak Amador: “Please vote.”

Rhys Ruthern: “We shall proceed to the vote if you are all quite finished. You will now vote on the reform as a whole; with mind that amendment suggestions will be passed onto the Koeng should the proposal pass.”

Judicial Reform to the Haurul Caezk Proposal

By The Crown

AYE

Herzen Baruch

Herzen Ruthern

Komit Barclay

Vikomit Amador

Bossir Ludovar

Bossir Mondblume

Bossir Morovar

Royal Alderman Iris Peregrin

Grand Maer Feodor May

Lord Palatine Baruch

NAY

N/A

ABSTAIN

Lord Palatine Baruch

ABSENT

N/A

The Judicial Reform of the Haurul Caezk proposal has passed through the Royal Duma.

Rhys Ruthern: “Is that all that anyone wishes to present today?”

Robert Ludovar: “I believe that is all, Speaker.”

Rhys Ruthern: “No? Good - Duma is hereby dismissed.”

Edited by Office of the Lord Speaker