On the Path of Owyn; A Novellen's Journey

JoanOfArc

On the Path of Owyn; A Novellen's Journey

Written by Novice Ioannes Novellen

In honor of Father Paco

bpGqNHvtIbFtW3XFUxURUNXUwzp6M0t-YRIEgygegi_yQeQxWmj9y7SDKt_8U9uivrEmztCIeX9kjPnFvMKs76TfAL1MeSdeBZLnjaVUDiYotdnjwGrg1YrwgpWJnVhyUnmO8Xeb=s0

An depiction of Adrian Marcellus within the Principality of Savoy made by his twin, Ioannes Alexios, 1841.

When I first spoke to my father in the holy state of Orenia in regards to the subject of Owynism as per my clerical studies, he told me that to understand Owynism I needed to experience it firsthand. He thus sent me on a pilgrimage with Theodosia to the Lordship of Du Loc to find the Lectorate in an effort to further myself in this field of knowledge. When I first came to the lordship, I was greeted almost immediately by Father Paco, who took me as his godson and sponsee. He took me through the Path of Owyn (a Owynist baptism ritual not too dissimilar to the Aeldinic coming of age rituals in practice in the Western portions of that Empire) where I learned various aspects of the faith that I had never known previously. 

But one lesson stuck out for me on my Path. The path of Owyn is a lesson of acceptance. An acceptance twofold of rigorous trials, but also an acceptance of your failure to meet the trials that have been laid bare. 

In honor of the Prophet's seven years in Harren's court, I stood for seven hours by a raging fire with a bottle I couldn't drink from in my hand.Seven hours of standing by the heat, it slowly consumed with the only saving grace that it was outside and the rain cooled down the last hour. Theo would probably confess to seeing me on the verge of passing out from this hard task.  

I was born into a household where anything I wished for I could ask and receive. There were seldom times, if any, that I could not receive what I wanted. Of course, this was the product of generations striving to have the greatest future for their children, but it made me impatient. Now, I wish for this. Now, I wish for that. But for the Prophet, he spent seven years in service to a tyrannical man for God. Did the Prophet ever whine or complain about his service? Nay, he did so dutifully. Without remorse. If a trial has to last for years, the trial has to last for years. Such is life. The price of sin is the burden and acknowledgement of time. Eternity on Terra is not a reality for mortal men.

After the trial, Father Paco held a life confession for Theo and me. Here I spoke about topics in regards to my past life and my regrets. I admit to the reader that I cried, and I appreciated that I had. For Father Paco instructed me on my second lesson. I cried for my sins, but confession absolves you of such. Those sins I committed and regrets I have, are no longer. As the Prophet Horen was cleansed of his iniquity and reborn, so too are we. We are no longer bound to the guilt, the woes. We are made new creatures. It is hard, at times, to let go of your past mistakes. But we ought to for if we claim that the Lord God can purge us of our mistakes, then to remember our mistakes is to deny his power. 

We repent to demonstrate His grace to us.

While these are the lessons I have learned, it seems that more and more come to pass. When you are a youth, you believe yourself to be knowledgeable in many fields, but the more you learn, the less you understand. God is knowable, but endless in his ability to be knowable. As a brother told me, ‘this walk is eternal and it shall be continued by those who follow us’. As a result, I will follow in the footsteps of Owyn, who followed in the footsteps of God.I will help lead the way for those after me on where to walk. That is how I will come to learn about the Lord. With my brothers by my side, I walk in the footsteps of my ancestors.

Letters to Home

To Father, 

I thank God every day for your wisdom and insight into my life. Without you, I would have folded. I wish you well in your missionary travels. And do come home soon. I have news from the west that you have not received yet.

To Mother, 

You told me to write to you more often and your child has neglected to do so. Do not be angry with me and please visit soon. I wish to give gifts and more and show you the knowledge I learned under my godfather. I love you, mom.

To Alice,

I heard from travelers to Du Loc from Holy Orenia that you are a great court lady of some sort. While the specifics are lost in my haze of writing, I hope to see you soon as it has been about a year since I last saw you.We may speak more about it then.

To Adrian,

Twin and sibling, I intend to visit the Principality within the year. I shall keep this brief , as it will spoil the surprise I have in store for you.

To Grandfather,

I wish you well and a good reign for the glory of Orenia. I know you will be remembered as one of the wisest rulers in history, and I pray for your health. Prophet Godfrey smiles down on his successor.

To ED, 

The ocean comes in and recedes. And when the ground decays, life will remain. A lesson you taught me, my good friend. Be safe and find peace, in the Heavenly Skies or wherever you may be.

To Philip Amadeus,

In the cathedral's sunlight, I made a vow to be your servant. And while you declined my vow and are off traveling, the vow still stands. Cousin, brother, friend. I miss you. Theo sends her regards as well.

O Lord God, maker of all, have mercy on me, a sinner.

The Knight-Captain Helena Augusta, Countess of Temesch, had retired from the royal courts to her familial homestead, Rosemoor Manor, years ago. As her various children traversed the continent, she felt herself truly committed to the Order and her faith. Every evening, after a gruelling day of training, did the Novellen anticipate a letter from her children. While their replies to her letters were not constant, she knew they were. She felt them from afar, and despite their differences, exuded love for the children of she and Prince Robert Francis.

The maturing Novellen made peace with the independence of her children. She admired them all the more for it, knowing that she was once a young lady with just enough ambition to circle the nest but not enough to soar out of it. 

The Emperor receives his grandson's letter with great reverence. He writes him back, in genuine pleasure,

My dearest grandson,

A pilgrim's path is a most glorious one, walked by the holiest men who have ever walked the world.

That you seek to discover the mysteries of faith and God are the most commendable quests that can be undertaken. Whence I see you again, we shall discover, within each other, a newfound affection for God. For as you wander the temporal realms of the world God has created, you will pray and receive signs, and you will pray and you will not. 

The journey, the places, the people. What you see within each individual you meet, as I once did, is not that the Lord has sent you on a journey of penance, or repentance for the innate sin within yourself.

Instead, the nature of your journey shall be the construction of your own relationship with the Lord. How He has given you the tortures of your life, how He has made your feet sore and parched your lip in the desert. And how He has given you a warm hearth of the friendly stranger, and the bounty of His gardens. Your trials, and your success, are His creation for you, and for nobody else. His trials are surmountable, even if they are not defeated, for they are each a test of faith.

Your grandfather,

HIM Philip II

A nosey Hyspian priest would look through his acolyte's belongings and stumble upon his writing before he'd send it out and couldn't help but smile despite the great fire that took their parish.

"Lots of chisme for me y Fadder Harold," He'd say to himself looking forward to the change of gossip.