The Underrated Beauty of Fear RP

Unwillingly

15 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

the trick is you actually need to build tension so nasty it genuinely unnerves the players ooc to actually have any response irp, gotta do metagame fear techniques to get responses out that are realistic.

3159b1ab59f74195cf0ca6f072b0ebd6.png

18 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

the trick is you actually need to build tension so nasty it genuinely unnerves the players ooc to actually have any response irp, gotta do metagame fear techniques to get responses out that are realistic.

Hard agree. Most of the times I've ever gotten fear rp is by some damn good marinating. 

Great topic, and I'm pretty sure all ghost RPers including myself unanimously agree that Fear RP is very underplayed.
Though funnily enough, as I seem to be playing a passive Spectre that doesn't seek to harm nor haunt anyone, but more-so focusing on her goals which are pretty kind-hearted in nature, I have noticed that a lot more people RP fear just by witnessing the creature that she is despite never having any intentions to harm them, but at the same time they don't seem to RP fear when encountering a poltergeist or any other dark, twisted creature?
Unsure of the reason behind it exactly, but I'm glad fear RP is being talked about now. My one solution to having good fear RP is to simply be picky with who I RP with, and so far so good. Saved me tons of headaches.

I'll never forget this rp situation that had me shaking in my boots oocly. Sadly I didn't take the moment to be irply scared since it was rp that happened just before I wanted to log off.

But with my character at least, she was at first scared and afraid to do things but after everything she's been through its such a shrug off moment. However I should revisit this aspect of fear rp since I never think about it much anymore. Thanks for bringing this topic up.

Spoiler

unknown.png

Screenshot_865.png

what actually would be scary in a world where there is no death and yet constant random psychotic violence. it seems like my character would get desensitized to it

I mean, if things people IRL are normally afraid of didn't happen 2-3 times a day in active rp areas on LOTC people might be more inclined to treat them with some fear or special circumstances instead of just another nusiance that is an unfortunate speed bump in your usual day. If its not a spook attack its a raid, if its not a raid its a bandit on the road, if its not that its a theif breaking into your house. Same **** different day.

Everyone's boastful until there's a reason not to be. 

They're not trying to impress, they're not trying to keep to character.

They just want to piss off the other party by looking a certain way.

Well, so I've found that my characters get more and more stoic and false badass as they get older.

So one of my characters is a Haeseni Knight, so she's seen some stuff. So for her the "pff, lame." reaction is sort of warranted since the amount of times she's almost died is MANY and the stuff she's almost died to is also MANY.

But then when it happens in younger, less experienced characters then you're absolutely correct it is stupid.

For example, every now and then we get a BSK initiate that has this attitude, and they're usually a semi-new player as well, so when they do "pff, lame" it makes ZERO SENSE and they just look like an idiot.

But yeah, when my knight character was younger she was much more scared of stuff. While her stoicism and supposed badassery increased when she got knighted, it was mostly a slow build up over the years. So yeah. Nowadays, I deserve to be cool and not give a ****, I've served my time. 

But she still gets freaked the **** out every now and then, so not that big of a deal really.

20 hours ago, Nathaniel Calding said:

As someone who's done a ridiculous amount of Fear RP, it gets old very quickly if no one else is willing to engage in it. For example, you can make your character be scared of, say, heights! But when you rp your fear of heights, others will just make a small, one line response like 'Get a backbone, yeh coward'. And won't engage with it at all. Trying to inspire fear in others is basically asking to be laughed at, and it's a shame. Perhaps it should be a requirement for every char to have at least one fear? 

Pretty much my experience. Hard not to feel stupid when you're the only one acknowledging it.

Requiring a fear would be counter intuitive to rp believability because people will hone in on that rather than fix the problem.

Everyone will be maiden fainting in every city over their fear of off color clothing because it reminds them of their childhood abject poverty.