Been here half my life AMA

argonian

8 hours ago, Xarkly said:

very interesting take

If that were to happen (again, I should say), how would the core systems of the server function? Obviously, the "nation" isn't contingent on the perks they get today - it's ultimately just a "community", the same kind that existed since the start of the server - but how does stuff like land ownership work in this system?

I also agree that activity checks are the devil. I've actually petitioned WT to at least remove activity % because the system is just built to be min-maxed and actively discourages RPing outside of your nation and enforces practices like constant event spam. The last paragraph is definitely 100% true and makes a lot of RP inorganic.

ideally, if i had my way, we'd have an aegis/atlas type system where p much all the map was freebuild. maybe have upkeep fees for perm'd regions, scaled based on size, rather than tiles. let nations decide their borders IRP rather than strictly by some top-down RTS tile nonsense.

you could have a system like that even without freebuild tbh, just by sticking one big no-perms region all over the place that smaller regions could override

that suggestion aside: if you look back to older maps like anthos, vailor, etc., while my memory is hazy and i believe nations may have played some role in land ownership, whether or not you were a nation was irrelevant 99.99% of the time. nowadays we literally have EU4 government type **** with "lairs", "settlements", "nations" etc., with each tier giving you perks and drawbacks. it's a weird, arbitrary and OOC system that's just so unnecessary. war rules should not care whether or not you're a nation, land ownership should be fluid and not based on arbitrary concepts like tiles(and how you have to be Empire Nation Tier to to buy them), green soulstone pillars should again just be a fee(omg but what if some guy puts one in his dead settlement?!?!?!?! like who cares lmao)

and that's just one aspect of a massive de-EU4'ising of the server that needs to take place. we have so many weird OOC systems that just make RP awkward for absolutely zero benefit. but people support it because having these shackles on everything means the status quo is easily maintained--and who do the staff discuss every rule change with? oh right, yes, only current nation leaders, who are obviously not going to want rule changes that could potentially put the stability of their nation in jeopardy

On 10/18/2021 at 5:02 PM, ChumpChump said:

any regrets?

One big one I had was that I regretted not exploring more of some of the older maps like Aegis, Asulon and Anthos. You kinda find your place and just stick to it unless you make an effort to go explore, and I didn't do that enough.

There were a few cool wars and times on the server that I regretted missing too, like the Schism War. Always sounded like a very cool time to be on the server.

And also I regret not trying to do more cool shit when the server was younger and that sort of thing was easier. Nowadays doing anything, be it forming a merc band, founding a town, becoming a minister, what have you, is a real slog. The complexity of every role on the server has gone way up and turned into a real chore. Back in like Asulon you could go really far with just the littlest bit of initiative and there was a lot less hassle involved, but I just liked chilling as a guard so I didn't try to do much. I just liked being a witness to history, not creating it. And nowadays I don't even want to because I see the insane cost in time and effort everything takes now, and I just don't have the energy for it.