A Question Regarding Marriage Between a Half Human and an Elf.

High_On_Math

Greetings!

I find myself in a confusing predicament and am unsure of whether or not it is permissible for me to marry the man I love.  Here are the circumstances:

1. I am a half elf and the man I want to marry is a full elf.  As a half elf, I will inevitably pass on two curses to any children I conceive, be they quarter human or quarter elf, and thus I have decided to remain celibate.  The man I want to marry will agree to remain celibate within the union, and we will not have children.

2. I understand that it is considered wrong for marriages to produce children that are less than 3/4 human.  However, as my marriage wouldn't be consummated, there would be no practical difference between my celibate marriage between a half elf and a full elf and a celibate marriage between a human and another human.

I am rather new to Cannonism and am unsure of how to handle this detailed and complex situation.  I appreciate any guidance you could give me. 

Luthriel Xatophon

A private letter is penned bearing the seal of Melphestaus. 

"Luthriel,

I have lived amongst the Valah and have Tali'Valah in my family, and this question always comes up amongst my family - as we spend so much time within human civilization. 

First, you should rest easy knowing that your marriage is a valid one in the eyes of Canonism as your children for purposes of record keeping would be recognized as Elven. It is actually valid to be 3/4ths of ANY descendant race, and as such you would produce 3/4ths Elven children. 

They would bare prominently Elven features, with very little or their human ancestry exposed. However, you are also correct that they and their offspring would bare the curse of a shorter life and infertility, no matter how diluted the human blood were to become. If this is something you are content to witness for your ancestors into perptuity, it is yours to make. 

However, know that your marriage and offspring are legal and sanctionned within the Canonist community.  Living a celibate life producing no children is the most preferential outcome in the eyes of the Church. 

As I am surprised to hear of a Canonist Half-Elf, I would encourage you to visit my estate in The Vale of Arentine, and perhaps we may discuss more on how to navigate these affairs. 

Servus,

Minuvas Melphestaus

OOC 

Spoiler

Ye but even Luthriel thinks Elysium is immoral.  Like, she reallly doesnt want mixed blood offspring

Edited by High_On_Math

To Luthriel Xatophon,

It can be a somewhat confusing subject matter to understand the sacrament of matrimony in our Canon Law. The Law, while extensive, has many intricacies that can cause many misunderstandings if not examined correctly. It is correct that if both spouses desire to remain celibate, consummation will not be necessary if the request has been accepted. However, this is a nonbinding promise of celibacy. While this request will prevent consummation being required, it does not necessarily prevent any future possibility for spouses to lay with each other. This is why the matter of blood of both spouses is important. 

In Book IV, Title I, Chapter 2, Section 9.1, it states that if at least one spouse is of mixed descent, it is not valid unless it should bear children of at least three-quarters of one descendant race. This means that if a Half-Elf Half-Orc wished to marry an Elf, it would be valid as three-quarters of their child would be Elven. If a Half-Elf Half-Dwarf wished to marry a Dwarf, it would be valid as three-quarters of their child would be Dwarvish. If a Half-Dwarf Half-Orc wished to marry an Elf, it would not be valid because their child would not be at least three-quarters of any race.

In Book IV, Title I, Chapter 2, Section 9.2, it states that if at least one spouse is of mixed descent including human blood up to the fourth degree, it shall only be valid if it would bear children that are at least three-quarters human by blood. This means that if a Half-Human Half-Dwarf wished to marry a Dwarf, it would not be valid because the child would not be at least three-quarters human by blood. If a Half-Human Half-Orc wished to marry a Human, it would be valid because the child would be three-quarters human by blood. The reasoning for this is that God promised Horen and his tribe the Skies, therefore it is desirable that any offspring descended from Horen’s tribe remains human so that they may ascend to the Seven Skies united together at their lives’ end.

To summarise, it will not be possible for you to marry an Elf as a Half-Human Half-Elf as any potential offspring would be three-quarters elven and not human as is desired. It is unfortunate, but love may still remain even without matrimony. Of course, you may not lay with them as there is no holy union, but that should not be a problem if celibacy is intended. If there are any concerns, the Church is always willing to answer your questions.

Anders Cardinal Jorenus, 

Patriarch of Jorenus, Prelate of the Priesthood

3rd of Vzmey ag Hyff, 395 E.S.

A letter would fly back to Luthriel Xatophon, stamped with an elegantly designed seal of Viradiraar. It reads: 

Dear Ms. Luthriel , 

I seldom come across interbred situations like these , most of them having to do within the own mali family: thill, ame and ker. Despite this, unfortunately, I highly , highly advise against marriage between someone such as yourself and a full mali. What you don’t understand is that the mali race depends on the rare addiction of offspring to keep her population going , hence why there is so much initiative in places such as Haelun’or for her people to produce “crotchfruit” . It’s absolutely morally wrong for any peoples of different race to even think of marriage . You say you don’t wish to consummate, and while you might think so now, valah , or half-valah in your case have a tendency to switch decisions quickly . The absolute abhorrent life that you would put your future children in, and you still think to make the mistake that your parents before you did? Please , think this decision out wisely, do not doom my race .

Sincerly , A.V.

"Dear Miss Xatophon,

May the pure love of God reign in our hearts!

I am not a Canon Lawyer, and will not venture to argue for or against the validity of this marriage, whether it is what is called a Catherinite marriage - viz., a marriage in which the sexual act is never consummated - or a normal one. But if a Catherinite Marriage is valid in your case, I would still advise strongly against it. Such a marriage requires the very highest level of heroic chastity. Usually it is not binding under sin, so that, if the spouses should fail in their resolution to live celibacy, they would not be sinning, but merely reverting into a lower state of marriage. But if you and your spouse fail in this, and only a virginal marriage keeps you free from sin, you will indeed be placing yourselves in the gravest peril of your immortal soul. Living under the same roof and sharing the intimacies of marriage with a strong mutual sexual attraction is basically setting yourself up to sin, and placing yourself in grave danger of falling into sin. 

We must all recognise the frailty of our nature. I will quote from our founder, St. Pius: "We were unwilling to acknowledge our own mortal frailty [and hence fell into grave sin]... I have since learnt this: that any man who refuses to pity his brother when he falls into a serious fault, shows himself to be in great danger of an imminent fall himself. For pride refuses to admit weakness, and hence, as a hot-headed general is easily lured into ambushes, so Iblees can easily overcome those who are assured of their own strength." (Confessions 2.9) Hence we cannot deliberately place ourselves into proximity of sin and be surprised when we fall, or go into a dangerous situation and say: 'God will protect me'; for that is the error of presumption; we place ourselves by our own act into a situation where we are likely to fall, despite saying we resolve not to fall. Is it any surprise that God would permit us to fall if we acted thus? What would we say to that hot-headed general who ran into the ambush, and how much worse if he knew the ambush was coming, but did not prepare the forces or warn anyone? Such is the pitiable state of those who place themselves in the occasion of sin.

We must avoid all sin. And to do this, we must avoid occasions of sin. This definitely represents an occasion of sin to two young people. Therefore I do not see how you can reasonably co-habitate without committing the sin of presumptuous pride. My strongly-held advice is to remain single and either live celibately, or wait for a more appropriate match. I remain your humble servant,

Father Peter of Akritos, FSSCT."