[PK] A Flower Withered

briarthorn

Spoiler

I based this PK post on a piece of art called "Ophelia" by Sir John Everett Millais. Ophelia, for those of you who don't know, is a character from the play Hamlet who lost her mind and subsequently drowned in a pond surrounded by flowers (this is an extremely watered down explanation, obviously there is much more context). I felt this was a proper send off for Briar.

A Flower, Withered

[pk post for Briar Taliame'onn, Lady of The Sunlily, Mother to all.]

Somewhere deep in the woods, a small red headed 'ame sat on a log near a pond, surrounded by frogs. Her eyes were closed, her mouth pressed into a thin line as a melodic hum came from within her. She swayed ever so slightly as her hands worked weaving colorful flowers- in fact, by now she was covered in flowers. 

This had been going on for years, this meditative state. She realized- how long it had been since she had last meditated. She had to make up for lost time. 

Sitting in the woods, the frog reflected upon her life. Once a quiet, scared young woman she had grown into something fearless, but harsh. She had gone through so much and was forced to grow up too quickly as responsibilities were thrust upon her, and the world around her began to slowly crumble. She had once been so warm and full of life. She had loved adventuring, learning, nurturing- she had wanted nothing more than to be a healer and a mother. But things change as one gets older, and in her case they changed quickly. 

She had always been considered very motherly and warm, but she was given the role at far too young an age. Tending to the younger 'ame, she had taken on a motherly role adopting two of them as her own. While she should have been preparing to become a woman in the eyes of the elven culture, motherhood and caring for her children became her life. Her own fiftieth birthday had been spent in sadness as hardships began to befall her like trees falling in a storm. Not very quickly, but successively and jarringly. 

At this point in her meditation she remembered the words of her love, 

"I often forget how young you are Briar, you are wise beyond your years..." 

By the time she was seventy, she had already lost so much. Three children, biological and figurative, gone. She had lost friends, she had lost family, she had lost herself. What had happened to the bright 'ame, who valued free expression and spent every waking moment picking and weaving flowers? She had become harder, more vindictive turning a blind eye to everything she stood for. She felt she needed to prove herself, to prove that her seed and family was worth something. But in doing so, she had lost everything she had stood for- everything her family had stood for. She forgot about the balance she had wanted so badly, turning away from color and the arts and turning towards fighting and bloodshed. 

She was proud of her accomplishments of course, and she was so proud to have been a mother to so many. She loved her new family, the mali she considered brothers and sisters. However, a day hadn't gone by where Briar longed to return to her youth- to see the friends and family she had lost along the years. Loss was a feeling that had become so familiar to this particular 'ame.

Eyes still shut, she remembered the years after her attack when she was left crippled. How she had turned to the arts, and knowledge as a way to express herself, and how she had forgotten about that as the years went on. 

She had only ever wanted balance and peace. How naive she was, even at her older age.

Though even now, she was still considered so young. Elves live a long time, a fact that she had known since her youth- but Briar had already lived so much life. Her mind was plagued by those she had lost, faces of those she watched die their voices loud, deafening, she could no longer think about anything except for the ones lost. They haunted her, stood as reminders for what she had become, for what she had turned her back on. She opened her eyes finally, after what seemed like a lifetime. On the opposite side of the pond's bank stood her daughter. 

Mélawen. 

She had left her. She was without a mother, just as Briar had been when she was her age. 

"I'm sorry," Briar croaked, the first words she had spoken in a very, very long time. "I wanted to be there for you but...the voices...I hear them- they call me- taunt me- why won't they stop calling to me?" She broke into a puddle of tears, curling in on herself. 

Opening her eyes, Mélawen was there, hugging her. With a soft smile, Briar wiped away her tears kissing her daughter's head tenderly. She spoke, her voice barely above a whisper, "I will always be with you- long after I am gone. Always, Melly- always...." She trailed off, closing her eyes she seemed to drift into a sleep. 

Briar's eyes slowly opened and she was submerged in the pond, her robes weighing her down as flowers floated around her. She hadn't known how she had gotten there in the first place. Had she fallen in? Had she gotten in herself? She could not remember- but for once...the voices were quiet. As water filled the confused 'ame's lungs she smiled. The voices had quieted, and Briar was finally at peace. 

For months after, the frogs didn't seem to quiet. Their croaking could be heard for miles- as if they were mourning a great loss. 

Spoiler

Hello! I have so loved playing Briar for the past year, and this was an extremely hard goodbye. But as I stated in her post, I unfortunately got wrapped up in the idea of growing my wood elven character up to fast. It was time for her to go, and I think it's a good time. I did a lot more on her than I ever thought I would. Thank you to everyone that I role played with on her- you've made my first character experience on LOTC truly wonderful. I will miss Briar dearly, as she's the first character I've ever made. But I look forward to the stories I can curate on my new characters to come! Thank you so much again, and I hope that my portrayal of Briar was as nice as it was to role play with all of you on her. :))

Edited by briarthorn

"Show me."

Prince Amaesil Vuln'miruel felt the words catch in his throat. He did not need to actually speak when communicating with his woodland companion, but it felt right to break the silence of the Hinterlands this day. With a leap, the elven prince mounted his stag and the two bounded off into the great unknown.

It was twilight when he found her. Amaesil knelt by the shallow pond and watched the lifeless form of his marhaelun drift in the inky liquid. The chorus of frogs surrounding the pond echoed out across the woodlands in a sorrowful tone. Amaesil permitted himself to weep.

An hour passed before Amaesil wrapped Briar Taliame'onn in a white, silk sheet and rested her atop Estelavern the Stag. The pair walked home to the stone walls of Amathea. The bells rung only once this day.

"The days seem darker with every mali lost." The home is quiet, the candles stay unlit. All of the mirrors in the home would be covered, a common grieving practice in Syllana's family. The stewardess would gather her things and head out of the home. As she traveled to the Eastern lands of Almaris, the 'aheral would mumble to herself. How could she lose her sister so early? 

As she stumbled across a pond, she kneeled down before the water. "Ahernan Briar, for making me a Taliame'onn and with that, finding myself." No tears would be shed, just the memories of Briar's life carried on through the Brylynns. 

The elfess sat on edge of stone looking about the calm blue waters that surrounded the elven nation, the sound of the bells rang only once which caught her attention. Her lips curled into a thin line as she quickly got up from her spot, and that is when she found out a flower had indeed wilted...

"Briar...you can't be..." 

She felt her stomach turn as she brought her left hand to her mouth as her eyes welled up with tears she turned on her heel and ran off to her home in the manor, the one briar use to live in

"Why...w-why do people keep leaving!!" 

She took her right arm punching in the wooden wall unable to feel pain in the stone limb as she slumped down and continued crying reflected on the past with the elfess she had known for so long.

Edited by wolfersquad2004

The auburn haired 'ame ran. She ran quicker than she had ever run in her life. She ran up to the top of the hill, her emerald gaze casted upon the sun slowly drifting from view as the young mali began to cry. Memories of her youth passing her by as she reached into her hair producing a light pink flower and holding it up to the fading sky "H-Haelun.." She retracted her hand now holding the flower close to her chest "I.. will always love you haelun." she whispered as the night cast over her small figure. The frogs seeming to cling to Melawen a bit closer from now on, as silence set into the darkened sky. "Always" Mel moved down from the hill later that night with a new found peace knowing Briar would always be there for her even in the darkest hour the light of her mother lived on.

He had heard the news. Briar had been found dead, the single bell tolling through the city in honor of a dead 'ame. For this day, Galan would be unable to be found, standing upon a cliff and looking towards the ocean. Tears streaked his face, his eyes bloodshot. He had been crying, unlike others. He was unable to stop himself. The woman who had died today was his sister, someone who he had met accidentally, but eventually found kinship in. 

His mind cluttered with thoughts, and voices screaming at him within is brain, he leaned forwards and fell into the sea. The rushing of wind and the sound of water. Seconds later he surfaced, laying back down on the shore after he climbed out. At least his tears would be less visible. 
"I'll see you another day Briar. I do not know when, nor how, but I will fight even the gods of this world to meet my sister once more."

Spoiler

OOC: It was amazing meeting Briar, and even if our first real encounter was from Galan jumping off a tree, I still felt enjoyment from it all. Thank you for such the great RP experiences mate, and I hope you have fun with all your future characters!

It had been years since Evar’lae spoke to his lari’onn, Briar Taliame’onn. Soon, he’d realize that the streak will continue. When he had heard of the news, his heart shattered. Death should have been a norm to him, Evar’lae would believe, but every death of a loved one seems to only knock him off balance again. And again. 

He had compiled a list now in his head. His baba, Zhang-Lei. Mama Aiko. Artanaro. Anthea. 

Briar.

Evar’lae stared on as he sat on the sand, watching the sunset over the horizon. The fading light dancing across the ocean waves. He sharply intakes a breath, though it shakes. He barely held on before, never dealing well with the loss of a loved one. He stands up as his eyes remained on the horizon. He steps forward, only to stop as he hears a ringing chirp.

He turns his head, searching for the sound behind him. Then he drops his gaze, finding a chorus frog resting on top of a rock. That’s odd. He lofts a brow at that, proceeding to make his way towards it. He scoops the frog into his hands before it took the chance to hop away. 

He chuckles out softly, moving away from the beach and on towards the grassland. There came the memory flashing in his head. Of Briar, eagerly telling him any frog facts that she knew. Frogs aren’t meant to be near saltwater, Evar’lae would recall. Briar would have wanted it to be near a freshwater pond and be with its froggy friends. 

She would have wanted him to stay with his friends too.

Edited by Commander_Jester

The elder 'ker was subdued when he heard the news.

He had lost countless friends to the sharp knife of battle, many before his very eyes. But never had he gotten used to hearing news like this, dying alone with no glorious crescendo of events for your descendants to sing of. 

Still, it seems as though such an end would be peaceful. Sevrel took comfort in that fact.

"Ker’ayla, ehya ahern lari’onn" he uttered in prayer, a single tear finding it's way down his cheek. "Mar’haelun ehya mar’maln Myumier nae." 

The Elfess sat quietly in the warm couch of her home, a half made blanket resting upon her legs as she sewed into it. she had heard the news as it sread around. It seemed one by one, those she had been close with were finding peace somewhere else.. "I wish you rest where ever you have gone, Lari'onn. you were one of the first i came to meet, emerging into my new life way back in Siramenor..i assure you, my memory of you ill not fade. Thank you, for always bringing new light where it is needed.." 

Laltyl smiled, she was mourning, but she has shed too many tears already. She knows they will meet again one day, she just only hopes it will be under good terms.

Spoiler

(( Thank you Alex for playing such a wonderful character!  We'll miss Briar dearly but i can't wait to see where you take your next characters! I'm glad to have you as a family member with Illy <3))