THE END OF FORCED CONVERSION

THE END OF FORCED CONVERSION

IT9C3eV_J0eRAq6weEHJQhY8dDLL_C6TGUc0fDydOixEde9WRwz72dL5SVgGpEZfh9MJ93LrXORnBO0JQYz6iHJ90-cnL_Xb34xbiy5pPppBQ48PJfUyTziWsRirF9-1bjeoE_Mq=s0

GyGEaPYUReTFD9ZR9wBN_nFaKYCGHDSdv3IKKHvdqwApoCDVvM0bq6bn3Swt72AkcRz9Fkw1gvpeXfcnCpt2jNhGP2n9VPA3QGWYr6l5RvwCtLhoPOv_HAl0vYOESGGhtVWZ5y30=s1600

The Society of Saint James II, 1842

0DA4Fvs87c3NXwee_kMLCstZqTBOl-dCvoeLgQ8ze3ImYo-I0HFwiHvxvLzTbnm_zaxiAEUUJAuUavgkYjn4KJ-rkiatSXsvFWm2TOCBpvo6E4JZjyBAN9yCDKKzoScz5T3VBWxN=s0

It is Our true and whole belief that Our office is holy, and that We may not determine the nature of Our reign without advice of students of faith as well as of politics. So, Our Society of Saint James was summoned to attend, to hear Our question on the righteousness, or lack thereof, of forced conversion by the sword.

IT9C3eV_J0eRAq6weEHJQhY8dDLL_C6TGUc0fDydOixEde9WRwz72dL5SVgGpEZfh9MJ93LrXORnBO0JQYz6iHJ90-cnL_Xb34xbiy5pPppBQ48PJfUyTziWsRirF9-1bjeoE_Mq=s0

-sHu5OeFDcmr1z4LGrecSJ8jLZRhtj-4xjbuiaoOsCqu9If1uGdR8pKhwWHnZz5-4KT6kkUyF1-AFc-I8hPVtqyVvOgTHEOharCUuvO49WpiW4JrtkdOyAx9GYh3y7tvD3-wcLRL=s1600

0DA4Fvs87c3NXwee_kMLCstZqTBOl-dCvoeLgQ8ze3ImYo-I0HFwiHvxvLzTbnm_zaxiAEUUJAuUavgkYjn4KJ-rkiatSXsvFWm2TOCBpvo6E4JZjyBAN9yCDKKzoScz5T3VBWxN=s0

DUCHESS CRESTFALL SPEAKS on the morality of forced conversion.

Spoiler

“I would argue such a conversion is not legitimate, because a choice has no moral value if it is not a choice. Just as a woman married at swordpoint is not truly married, a Canonist converted on threat of death is not a Canonist. But that is only my small opinion on the subject, and I leave the floor to better, more qualified grandees of the Church.”

LADY FRANCESCA SPEAKS on the final judgement of God.

Spoiler

“I agree entirely with the previous statements, and I personally believe that conversion of one who does not have the instilled desire to pursue Canonism or the life of God would be a difficult task, a task that members of the church face regularly. Though, ensuing death upon one that lacks an open mind is not a service for the church, but instead God. God shall condemn those who do not believe in him, though I believe we should not take the life of a man who refutes Canonism entirely. I will reinstate my point further - God should be the one to condemn those who lack the integrity to see the light of Canonism, and all its morals.”

CARDINAL ALBAROSA SPEAKS on the illegitimacy of forced conversion.

Spoiler

“Now, my friends, there is a saying.. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. I see a word in which every soul is a Canonist soul. A soul for GOD. We cannot achieve this world through force. A true Canonist doesn't accept GOD into their heart because of fear, but because of love! Although we must meet force with force, peace must also be met with peace. GOD's peace. Only through GOD's peace can we realize a world, a Canonist world, of love and prosperity!”

FATHER STOR SPEAKS on the nature of repentance in the Auspice.

Spoiler

“Before the priests, the first exalts wrath. Before the kings, the second exalts pride. And before the merchants, the last exalts avarice. So the world is the possession of cruel men. Auspice, the Vision of Portent. Any priest who exalts hatred and war is a servant of the Deciever.  That is, except he who wages a just war against the unholy things of this world. All mortals deserve a chance to find GOD, to repent. If we do not march forth with love as our guiding light, then we shall surely find ourselves under the yolk of Vargengotz.”

LORD DU LOC SPEAKS on his love for the teachings, despite his lack of faith.

Spoiler

“Greetings Oreners. For those of you unawares, I am LORD BRAE of Du Loc. I am a bastard Harrenite; a heathen, or heretic -- I always forget which --, an alcoholic, and a purveyor of elven women. But here I sit at the crux of paradox, wherein I -- this man that I am -- have readily invited the mighty Lectors of Owyn to establish a great and noble keep within mine Lordship. You may'st ask… WHY? And I will tell you WHY… These Lectors have shown me nothing but kindness, noble pursuit, justice, and honor. I have shed blood with them in the Rat Wars. Why, just yesterday at the massage parlor in Yong Ping, I was reminiscing about our times deep in the dim crevasses of the Under… where I feared death and doom, my heresy STAYED MY FEET. Alas! I was comforted by the mighty arms of the Lectorate. And with their blessings, I believe their methodology ought be adopted by any and all who follow the Creator.”

THE ARCH-LECTOR SPEAKS on the effectiveness of the Third Mission.

Spoiler

“We Lectors have existed for numerous centuries, and in Three Missions. We are the Third. The First exclusively served the State, the Second served their bloodlust and we the Third… We like to think we serve GOD. The curse of the Angry-Knight is one which is hard to dispel. The power one feels when they feel the life squeezed from a disrespectful heretic or villain … It is better than pure bliss. 

But it is not the way, verily, it is not the way. It creates only migration patterns. Rumors spread, and innocents flee. They fear the fire of OWYN and his descendents; even now the men of Savoy crucify non-believers as a matter of sport. We have encountered many a refugee in Du Loc who fear Canonism now because of it. To keep it simple, take it from Flamenists. We've tried the brutal methods; it only makes those wielding the sword feel blessed.”

FATHER FIODOR SPEAKS on his personal experience with forced conversion.

Spoiler

“A few years ago now, I had myself the displeasure of, before I took the cloth, partaking in one of many raids on the Druids alongside the Esheveurd Brigade with the exact intent of making happen that which is at this moment in time discussed, perhaps such be naught but coincidene, cruel irony, or perhaps it is something greater - a reminder of my sins and the consequences that followed. I have found that the deliberate reasoning behind such actions, that of forced conversion, cannot stern from God. As Cardinal Albarossa made clear himself, one can bring water unto a horse, but not force it to drink. If the man does not live differently from what he did before, both at home and abroad, his repentance needs to be repented of and his conversion is a fiction. Furthermore, I have found the acts of forced conversion to be no more than the undertakings of arrogant disciplinarians who credit themselves servants of our Lord, whilst they are in fact ignorant to His commandments as revealed to us through the Holy Scrolls."

" I beg all of you to bear with me as I try to recall what happened at Savoy that fateful day on which Cardinal Basil and Father Otto found themselves in a situation which they no doubt never imagined they see, the day that they were attacked by their own Flock, and as I try to recall such events, I might be rather slow, in part because I bear responsibility. The Savoyards had called on Father Otto themselves you see, regardless of whether or not he was officially stationed within Providence - and it is no surprise, granted that they had not a single priest left themselves. We had captured a group of Druids during one of their lessons on medical herbs you see, alchemism no doubt. Some of whom children, some of whom even Canonists themselves - unjustly judged apostates and as such marked for death.”

"We promised them no harm would come to them, and I myself stood by that promise, and believed my brothers in arms would too. But when they arrived at the square, they started driving them together and binding them to the wood. I myself partook in this, dismayed though I was at the time, I believed the Lord's love would prevail. At that point did one of them decide to write to Father Otto, whom was at the time situated in Haense. He heeded the call, and to their surprise, was disgusted by what he found - demanding they unbind those whom they had bound immediately, claiming that going against our promise and threatening them was a slight against GOD Himself, for we had made the promise in His name.”

"He was in such joined by Cardinal Basil, whom recognized amongst the crowd one suspected Azdrazi, the same creature I would argue was the one whom eventually took the both of their lives. Those present at the time did not care for the words of the priests, as they were out for blood. Wroth had clearly beset them, and when their calls went unheeded Otto started unbinding them himself until one was left. Heavy debate ensued, and they at one point threatened to burn the priest alongside the suspected heathen, a halfling whom was one of the few truly inclined to conversion.”

“Why you might ask? Well it was because he was during his capture shown kindness, and this had given him hope - or so I do believe. This, however, with the breaking of their promise, quickly faded. As the debate ensued one rogue member of the Brigade took up arms against the unarmed priest and struck him down, thereafter assaulting the Cardinal who was also present, all because they disagreed with the burning of possible converts, and first and foremost, their cruel and ignorant ways of persecution. It was due to this exact reason that Cardinal Basil and Father Otto later found themselves where they were eventually murderd, if not martyred, as the Cardinal had carried him there to tend to his wounds.”

“I believe there is a lesson to be learned from this, and that is that the act of forced conversion goes contrary to the will of God, our God is love, and all acts of pride and wroth go against His commandments in their entirety. Such pride and wroth, this belief that their cause was just led them to strike at priests themselves, disregarding their knowledge on the same God they had devoted their lives to. We need not accept said views, and we need not condone them for they tarnish the reputation of our Lord and endanger truthful conversion.”

“Feeling that I have as such taken enough of your precious time, that would be all. God bless, and please forgive me for the length of this… Monologue.”

FATHER AUGUST SPEAKS on the individuality of faith.

Spoiler

“I think after such a recounting, we can all surely agree that brutal attempts for conversion are poor form. That being said… After a debate with a banished bishop from the very place the previous priest had just spoken of, I came to my own understanding of one's walk with God. As a priest, it is our duty to help folk-- Canonist or otherwise, along this path. One's relationship with God is theirs alone. Individual, unique, and not something an individual can force.”

“It is our duty, above all else, to be a pillar of patience- especially when it comes to conversion. I encourage those here who encounter a stranger to simply listen, to suggest, and to aid, but never to harm. Fear only breaks that imperative pillar of trust in GOD. Without that trust, a man will never walk that path toward Him. We cannot frighten people, as that will distance them from God's love, and His light.”

s0FrXJbWemx1WGrPR0AOFJa-az5JKSkslTNTDWvWEKVzMRokhahrTcrLnNM-yMlH9onsPH_J4mYB8473pucPQzGeMGxf48FdmlkPFWB5vk6S4MpY812OgrsrthXAZ5HKZrxDzN3d=s1600

The speakers rose, and one by one, their words echoed together. Our summary is this; a conversion under the threat of death is no true conversion. The love of God must be embraced, or not, by the sharing of mercy, understanding, and the benevolent charity of the Lord, through us. So shall be the mission of Our crown.

The Princess Imperial is pleasantly surprised at how well-attended the meeting was, and even gladder that everyone in attendance--without exception--agreed that a conversion at swordpoint is no conversion at all. Better yet, she was able to speak with the Arch-Lector, a man she greatly admires.

Cardinal Francis smiles as he sets his bespectacled eyes upon the paper. He nods and declares "I eagerly await the next meeting!"

Having recovered from his sickness earlier on this day, the Duke of Adria would state.. "What wonderful gathering, it's a shame I was unable to attend. I'll be sure to be there on the next gathering.

"Yay!!!" Anne Josephine cheered upon reading the missive the morning following the meeting.

One of the Lectors that attended reads the summary to Father Paco while he relaxed in his bed and sipped his heart calmer oracle wood tea.

"I ahm happeh," He nods approvingly and went back to sleep.

Father Stor smiles as he reads the missive of the wise scholar Emperor. “Let it be known that Crown and Laurel are once again in harmony, as in the days of Evaristus & Clement.”

Edited by Lojo613

Anders Cardinal Jorenus nods contently at the missive. He would be even more impressed with Father Fiodor's statement, perhaps if he were to see the error of his ways.. perhaps the rest of Savoy could too. The Cardinal would consider being there for the next meeting.

"Mine speech hath been PARAPHRASED and NEUTERED!" exclaims the pink-covered LORD OF DU LOC.

"They deny the MIGHT of the ORB and the curvaceous nature of certain elven maidens."

"Why does a self proclaimed heretic and heathen have a say in the internal discipline of the Church, much less a Canonist association?" Asks Fr. Petros.

8 hours ago, thesmellypocket said:

"Why does a self proclaimed heretic and heathen have a say in the internal discipline of the Church, much less a Canonist association?" Asks Fr. Petros.

"Despite being a lecher and a fiend, Quentin Brae is the prime example of what a virtuous non-believer should be. He understands his sins and works alongside the clergy to better not only himself, but his community as a whole. In the two decades I have known the man, he has:

1. Provided the flock warm blankets, food, tax-free lodging and inspiration during the Ratiki Rat Wars.
2. Aided in the quelling of human sacrificers, Yeti attacks, flesh hordes, flesh giants, flesh pits, Ratiki shield-walls and, most nefariously, a demonic Black Olog.
3. Sacrificed his own extravagant lodgings for the wellbeing of the Clergy and those of the Flamenist faiths.
4. Continued to treat every man with equal respect regardless of noble stature.
5. Accepted the chancla from Padre Paco de Mantequilla when not acting right.

In the end, though Lord Brae may lust for nubile elven women as so many a Harrenite does, and though he may suckle from the bottle as if he were a newborn, I can safely state without any doubt he has done more blessed deeds for those he has encountered than most of those astral projecting clergymen."

Replies a humble Lector.

chad_quentin.png