A Simple Prayer

ClatterCake

youthful Elf halted his advance just a few feet away from the stone monument; it's build was an inspiring piece, detailing a warrior in their prime, sword planted on the ground in front of them, and their hands resting around the hilt.  For a time, there was silence, save for the sounds of nature around him.  It was a strange feeling to the would-be-knight, to hear the calming breeze shuffling through the grass at his feet, knowing that it would soon be burnt away in the ashes of war and dragonfire.  But was it truly a war?  No, he thought, a battle of survival.  As the thought of the incoming destruction loomed over him, his gaze shifted to the scene around them, until at last he spoke up.  "Hello, Mister Vulen.  It's me, Ardreth.  Well... I was Daisuke at around that time.  It's been a while since I've visited, hasn't it?  A lot has changed over the years; I'm not a kid anymore.  I've grown bigger than Dael, believe it or not, but he still treats me like I'm five.  I'm still scared of that cane of his and wonder when he'll hit me in the head next."

A laugh escaped him as he spoke of his mentor's brutal teaching methods, a sense of warmth filling his chest.  When the laughter died down, all that had remained was his smile.  "He's a tough teacher, but... I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did if it wasn't for him.  He... misses you.  Ever day.  But I'm sure you already know that.  I'll make sure he stays safe, for you.  But that isn't why I'm here."  The gauntlets around his hands felt as if they weighed on him like a brick, yet he found the strength to lift it, if only to rest it on the pommel of his sword.  "I still have that sword.  Aegrothorn, I mean.  Stupid name, I know, but I was a kid when I named it.  I'm just... I'm scared is all.  That's why I came here.  I'm here because I... I wanted to ask you and Malchadiael for the courage to fight.  I'd... ask him directly, but I'm no Templar.  So maybe you can put in a good word for me?"  His smile contorted to a sheepish grin at his request.

Suddenly, as he opened his mouth to speak once more, a small, black speck floated down in front of him... then another... and another.  His heart sank like a rock at the sight, at the thought of what could happening in the upcoming battle.  Yet something stirred in him... as he had done many times before, his training had kicked in.  Fear slowly morphed into focus, paving the way to the courage he needed to fight.  Whether it was through his own merit or those of his prayers, it was unclear to him.  With one swift motion, his helmet wrapped around his head.  "Well, looks like it's time to start getting ready.  Wish me luck, sir.  I'll try and take a few down for you.  And if this is it... well... I'll see you soon."  A salute was given to the statue, followed by a turning of the heels, and Ardreth's departure.

With the sound of armor fading off into the distance, all that remained was the bellowing wind, and the ashes that it carried...

Edited by ClatterCake

The prince watches the young elf from a distance. His form is obscured by the branches of an oak tree, and the wind silenced his footsteps. He could not hear what was said, but the expression of Ardreth made it clear. Then, he left.