[✗] [Infernal Alchemy Addition] Soul Coins

BDanecker

[Infernal Alchemy Addition]

Soul Coins, The Mortal Currency

JA-MpIzqDEYSgl97PEPsJmAIsFYZ_flK6TuZY1jlcEsCRibRsaOOw_GSY2MbB-L6dC9iAmWgviI2kwmim53SWyGkICbFUA7V2H78Y_9wCoDlhvFH39L2C1X5M99tfdAXkQq5mWLs

Origins

A means of more secure riches for those of the infernal realms, Soul Coins are an exclusive form of Infernal currency, bearing the souls of the deceased. This coinage is sought out by all denizens of the High Hells as a form of storing their wealth, easier to deal with than bottles of Rakir. Made of Rokodra in the average shape and size of half of a human palm, these cursed objects bear the souls of the fallen, taken into the physical object through means of the Transmutation Pentacle. Inferi use these to capture vestiges of souls that enter Moz’Strimozza, to preserve fresh souls for consumption; a means to grow stronger, and a way to keep their hellish slaves in check. Great beasts of war bear the spoils of their conquest hanging from their neck and horns, dangling coins of their enemy’s very souls. Infernal Alchemists on the mortal plane create these coins as a means of bartering with the demons themselves, harvesting far more souls than their demonic benefactors. 

The closest thing to currency the denizens of brimstone trade and exchange is Rakir, to which they take to like a drug, barely contained and addictive. Soul Coins are a form of currency with which one can back with the wealth of the soul, not dissimilar to mortal currency issued with tangible material value. Those who are subject to the greatest disparity of the ladder of chaos within Moz’Strimozza never see these coins but for rare occasions; higher-ranking demons confiscate as tribute all coins bartered and gained. Zentherak use Soul Coins to supply their various legions, claiming vast hoards to give up to their Zar’rokul, who claim entire mountains of coins, as vestiges of their draconic greed. 

Creation

lgRQfyzT7ofuIHo-Gfz3twLLjyEUFPMU-tuQb6FAnqsZXhWDif432Gu37Cn-qF0zDPqrXwKbhn4NoloInc_HCpjnm_7S6EXiSGsavnFSxAvpGKJSTuf5sJpyrtAhBknK0Z7SQwBC

To create these soul vessels, one must hold the corrupted secrets of Infernal Alchemy, for Rokodra is needed for the creation. One creates Rokodra through the offering of rakir just as normal. Though rakir is used up in the process, Soul Coins are untarnished vessels of souls, and far worth the initial cost to infernal alchemists. Able to bind the souls of those in the throes of death to this soulful metal, Soul Coins may contain slivers of souls of those whom have parted with their bodies. Rokodra does not innately possess this ability, for at its base it can only contain the spirits of the Infernal, and must bear the Runes of Blood, Life, Death, Destruction and Seperation all creating what is called a Soul Pentacle.

Once the cursed coin has been made, it is ready for use. Upon supping on the blood of a recently deceased soulful being, the coin begins to magically draw in the fallen being’s soul. A single coin will take a cut of the soul; these coins do not bar souls from departing this realm, but cut a sizable portion from the traveling soul, to be used for the Infernal Alchemist’s infernal purposes. The Soul Pentacle glows when the soul is absorbed, and the physical face of the creature shorn of their soul is displayed on the coin opposite of the Soul Pentacle. It may glow a color in relation to the creature itself, or it may glow a shade of red. Each coin’s worth is that of the soul it harbors within. The greater the soul within, the more valuable the Soul Coin will be worth.

Perhaps the most devious method that revolves around these coins is the potential for Infernal Alchemists to give Soul Coins to adventurers, warriors and monster hunters. While only Infernal Alchemists may create these coins, anyone may use them. In an act of manipulation and deception, those who challenge great beasts and collect their souls as tangible trophies inadvertently aid the demonic cause. Those who use Soul Coins act as a form of harvesting more souls for the Pentacle, acting as unknowing enactors of their wretched wills. Infernal Alchemists and those that they give coins to act as the hands of the Pentacle, harvesting souls where their Inferi could not so boldly.

REDLINES

• The general size of a soul coin can differ but must be no bigger than 15 cm in diameter.
  • For any deceased being, whether that be descendant or beast, there may be a maximum of 3 Soul Coins produced from their death. If the creature is of a great and monumental size and played by a ST, they may allow for greater amounts of Soul Coins to collect parts of the soul.
  • Learning of this method requires an accepted Alchemy Feat.
  • One must be taught Infernal Alchemy to learn this method.
  • All current Infernal Alchemists as of this post will have knowledge of this method.
  • Further teaching of this method and the Soul Pentacle must be taught IRP, as this is considered rare.
  • Taking a sliver of a descendant who has whisked away to Cloud Temple does not weaken their soul, nor affect it in any way.
  • Dipping the coin in blood must take place within the same day, with the blood still considered fresh. Otherwise, the soul will have left the body, and the blood will no longer react to the Soul Pentacle’s power.
  • Creatures that don’t bear a soul cannot be parted with a sliver of their soul, and thus may not be absorbed into a Soul Coin.
  • The part of the soul within may be released upon breaking the coin.
  • Other objects such as swords and the like do not absorb souls, as this lore is explicitly for Coins. If such were intended, further lore would need to be written detailing the effects of such.
  • If the Infernal Alchemist is the same one who is dipping the Soul Coin into the blood of the recently deceased, they may hold their screenshots of RP for the ST signature of their item, to prevent having the need of 2 separate Sreq’s. 
  • In the same vein, if the Infernal Alchemist hands off the coin to another non-alchemist, they too may hold onto the RP of the creation of the coin. They will then be able to provide the RP of both the coin’s creation and the dipping of the coin into the blood of the dead beast in order to get it ST signed. 
  • If neither of the above options are feasible, the coin may have the following description or any other similar description, and be given to the supervising ST handling the sreq, similar to how one provides ST ores for crafts: A bluish-grey coin 15 cm in diameter and 2 cm in thickness, chilling to the touch and giving a foreboding sense of ill-will. One face of the coin is smooth and blank, while the other bears an odd pentagram filled with 5 runes.

Purpose
I’ve had this idea around for as long as I’ve seen items like this floating around. I wanted to give monster hunting RP some veracity, moreso than teeth and bones and hides. 

Credits:

D&D for the concept

TheBlackBobRoss for giving ideas as usual.

Hey, I played Descent into Avernus too! It was really cool when I used these bad boys to fuel my motorcycle so my Cleric could do a wheelie charge into Zariel.

30cm in diameter is huge dude? That's like a car hubcap.

balls.

8 minutes ago, Luciloo said:

30cm in diameter is huge dude? That's like a car hubcap.

You're right I doubled it, meant to put 15 inches. I know some inferi are of sizes around 8 feet or so, so I made it where it could be bigger than a "small" descendant's size palm.

1 minute ago, BDanecker said:

You're right I doubled it, meant to put 15 inches. I know some inferi are of sizes around 8 feet or so, so I made it where it could be bigger than a "small" descendant's size palm.

How is this any more convenient than vials of rakir, if the coin's this big though?

14 minutes ago, Luciloo said:

How is this any more convenient than vials of rakir, if the coin's this big though?

One can get 5 vials of Rakir from a descedant, whereas a palm-sized coin that's rather thin (think a half-dollar) can store just as much. Instead of an inferi or infernal alchemists carrying around large quantities of bottles with rakir in them, possibly to break, instead they can carry coins as strong as iron and in far greater efficiency. 

this is kinda LIT 🤩

The concept is pretty cool, especially when you consider it for a monster hunter and D&D standpoint. But with how important the soul is for literally every form of magic within LOTC from my understanding, something that can meddle with the soul being so easily accessible and used by anyone that has alchemy and is either taught the art, or stumbles upon the coin could be a issue. Lets say a coin was used to take a sliver of a soul from a paladin who had the holy power of their god within them and they revived within the cloud temple, would the god themselves not be infuriated that a piece of their followers soul was taken? And would it not have a effect on the magic that paladin can use as it as severed a sliver of their very being into the coin? 

I can understand by the red lines that its not meant to have any effect on a descendant who has gone to the cloud temple, but I can't help but wonder how it couldn't have a effect due to what I mentioned above.  The fact that the coin could also be used to steal the souls of the deceased from their afterlife in whatever form it takes or is formed is also another factor to the coin that could be abused by those that wish to use it against people instead of monster hunting as the item is originally crafted for by the purpose. 

Now it may seem like I am saying a lot against it, but that isn't my intention, I'm trying to offer some genuine feedback and ideas to consider for the item itself. For example what about someone who is willing to bet their soul, a literal devils bargain for a bet? A contract between two people and the loser has their soul not lost inside of the coin, but attached too it. Which could develop into a entire roleplay arc around the coin. 

But another thought I had to suggest, and the main one that popped into my mind to consider instead of the soul is 'life'. For example, a monster that had died from battle, but still had a long time left in their life. The coin could be used to capture the lingering life that the creature would of lived, the amount of coins possible being tied to how healthy, strong, and in their prime the target of the hunt happens to be. 

Its a alternative that leans a little bit more alongside the side of necromancy than infernal. But I can still see devil and demonkind seeking them out. After all, how else are they going to experience what it means to be 'alive' as the mortals are? To experience the world and senses in the life of another creature? It could be a luxury. 

On a final note, it might be a idea to remove the coins ability to work on descendants entirely. And just have it work for monsters and creatures, sticking it solely for the purpose that was intended. Or alter it to be monster coins and a monster hunters currency that they can gather with alchemy to act as proof and currency among the many monster hunter communities. Try to bring a spark of life back to the adventurer/monster hunter roleplay. Just picturing the witchers 'coin' acting for something like a direwolf flashes in my mind with the coin taking the image of whatever beast was slain. Hell you could even turn the coins into a game among hunters by collecting and trading them if you went that route. 

These are my thoughts, questions, ideas and suggestions. I'm not sure if any of them will be helpful but I do hope they are in some way! 

i am going to use my soul coin to make decisions like two-face

I dislike the general idea that we would somehow pass lore that's ripped off D&D with bare minimum changes, if we did do that I could write like 7 lore pieces right now to get passed based off D&D concepts

58 minutes ago, Sybbyl0127 said:

I dislike the general idea that we would somehow pass lore that's ripped off D&D with bare minimum changes, if we did do that I could write like 7 lore pieces right now to get passed based off D&D concepts

>mfw playing on a server named Lord of the Craft
>Mfw playing on a server with all of the races from Lord of the Rings
>mfw playing on a server that has direct ripoffs of biblical angels
>mfw playing on a server with literal hell

>mfw cant take inspiration from dnd and apply it to infernal lore

Im just memein though, mostly. Thought your post was funny

12 hours ago, Royal Peasant said:

The concept is pretty cool, especially when you consider it for a monster hunter and D&D standpoint. But with how important the soul is for literally every form of magic within LOTC from my understanding, something that can meddle with the soul being so easily accessible and used by anyone that has alchemy and is either taught the art, or stumbles upon the coin could be a issue. Lets say a coin was used to take a sliver of a soul from a paladin who had the holy power of their god within them and they revived within the cloud temple, would the god themselves not be infuriated that a piece of their followers soul was taken? And would it not have a effect on the magic that paladin can use as it as severed a sliver of their very being into the coin? 

I can understand by the red lines that its not meant to have any effect on a descendant who has gone to the cloud temple, but I can't help but wonder how it couldn't have a effect due to what I mentioned above.  The fact that the coin could also be used to steal the souls of the deceased from their afterlife in whatever form it takes or is formed is also another factor to the coin that could be abused by those that wish to use it against people instead of monster hunting as the item is originally crafted for by the purpose. 

Now it may seem like I am saying a lot against it, but that isn't my intention, I'm trying to offer some genuine feedback and ideas to consider for the item itself. For example what about someone who is willing to bet their soul, a literal devils bargain for a bet? A contract between two people and the loser has their soul not lost inside of the coin, but attached too it. Which could develop into a entire roleplay arc around the coin. 

But another thought I had to suggest, and the main one that popped into my mind to consider instead of the soul is 'life'. For example, a monster that had died from battle, but still had a long time left in their life. The coin could be used to capture the lingering life that the creature would of lived, the amount of coins possible being tied to how healthy, strong, and in their prime the target of the hunt happens to be. 

Its a alternative that leans a little bit more alongside the side of necromancy than infernal. But I can still see devil and demonkind seeking them out. After all, how else are they going to experience what it means to be 'alive' as the mortals are? To experience the world and senses in the life of another creature? It could be a luxury. 

On a final note, it might be a idea to remove the coins ability to work on descendants entirely. And just have it work for monsters and creatures, sticking it solely for the purpose that was intended. Or alter it to be monster coins and a monster hunters currency that they can gather with alchemy to act as proof and currency among the many monster hunter communities. Try to bring a spark of life back to the adventurer/monster hunter roleplay. Just picturing the witchers 'coin' acting for something like a direwolf flashes in my mind with the coin taking the image of whatever beast was slain. Hell you could even turn the coins into a game among hunters by collecting and trading them if you went that route. 

These are my thoughts, questions, ideas and suggestions. I'm not sure if any of them will be helpful but I do hope they are in some way! 

I appreciate the feedback! Genuine honest feedback is welcomed. I honestly want them to be possible for having Devil Deals, but I figured that having them be used for both the dead and the living might be too complicated and not make sense. There are other lore pieces such as golemancy and sorvian sculpting that requires the crafter to impart a partition of their soul into their work. Seeing as both of those lores are fine and do not create any negative drawbacks for the crafter, I found it acceptable for these coins to do the same, and not affect those who die and go to CT. Your "remaining life" idea is a good one, though it could already be incorporated into the current idea, with souls being stronger in a creature's prime, for example. And yeah, the whole Witcher and Monster Hunting scene is why I wrote the lore in the first place, as well as giving it a bit of an underlying spin for a tasteful and original lore idea. 

1 hour ago, AfroJoeTheOlogBro said:

>mfw playing on a server named Lord of the Craft
>Mfw playing on a server with all of the races from Lord of the Rings
>mfw playing on a server that has direct ripoffs of biblical angels
>mfw playing on a server with literal hell

>mfw cant take inspiration from dnd and apply it to infernal lore

Im just memein though, mostly. Thought your post was funny

Keeping in mind of course that, aside from the name, every other fantasy server also has the rest of what you listed

That part of fantasy has long since become a staple of worldbuilding, its not just lord of the rings. 

Take golemancy for instance, that definitely came from somewhere as a concept, who knows where I didnt originally write it, but its unique enough to itself that I wouldn't be able to tell you which source it was inspired from. Tons of fantasy roleplay settings have golems, but there's usually some kind of change or unique aspect to it that makes it more personal to that particular setting.