I Just Want a Fun Time.

VoidandNull

Before you tear me a new one for the title of this post as being 'click bait' or 'Rep farm', I do want say that this is an actual piece that I'm writing because of the current state of the server as seen through a regular, normal, forgettable player's eyes. You in no means have to respond to this or upvote it, I just felt like these opinions needed to be stated.

Now since that's out of the way, let me begin by saying this. I've been on LOTC since the beginning of Atlas. I'm by no means a veteran or a new player, but I've had my fair share of interactions, stories, events, and bad encounters with the people of this server. LOTC has been a place where I can go to put off steam and simply run around and have a fun time. Yes the constant Tavern RP simulator can get boring, but its bearable when you make your own things to do. Wacky, over the top characters are my specialty and joy of my life here on LOTC. Running around as a homeless crack dealer throwing spiders at people, being a chef who follows the words of a Kitchen pantheon, a tavern owner of a sewer nation for some time. The most fun I've ever had in RP is on these characters.

The problem is either the gates being closed at every nation, the people of said nations sticking themselves in the tavern for Tavern RP sim, or being shot down by a guard every time I walk ten feet. Playing over the top characters has become immensely unenjoyable because of the fact that every time I walk into a nation like Elysium, I'm told that someone is going to kill my character OOCly just because they can. What can I do about it? Nothing cause I don't put PVP or meta combat build weapons on the character cause I want to have fun. Its been around for 3-4 years, but these days LOTC is slowly losing its fun factor. Rules and workarounds have slashed fun RP encounters and make everything a war on who's build is the best and who can do the most damage while not having a single ounce of fun.

I get people want serious RP, and that's fine! I just want to go back to a time where nations didn't bash me for playing a Chef who just wants to give free food to people. People desperately seek out STs to run events, and then look at the players who want to make fun interactions and ignore them, or lower their want to play the character because they personally don't like a concept. But hey, who knows. Maybe next time I walk to the Vale and say I can't remove my helmet for religious reasons they won't shun me for wanting to give them free food. (Yes this did happen, yes I do not regret going there on two occasions screaming to let me in to feed them stew.)

I know this rant won't get any attention, but if you've ever played an over the top character, might as well share their story here. Plus its good to hear about who's played what and what their own view on this topic is. 

(Btw this isn't mean to bash any nation besides maybe the Vale. Elysium is chill tho. It's where I go to get Zooted and Hammered IRP.)

Edited by VoidandNull

Hold on, let me preempt a comment. Okay, I’m going to shake the magic 8 ball. Ah yes, here it is. The classic response to let me play wacky and zany character.

“People want mature rp now, the server has changed, and groomers are no longer satisfied with just buying an rp wife, they want to SAVOR every romantic interaction with this 13 year old boy playing a female character. Just because the most newer and younger players want change, doesn’t mean all the older players do. Sorry sweaty, times have changed.”

Honestly this would all change if we got rid of guard default. How is acting tyrannical enforcing the law. It literally feels like dealing with real world cops coercing someone into violating some minor rule to convince the staff they had a right to pvp you when they wanted to arrest you for farting in public.

Edited by Lojo613

16 minutes ago, Lojo613 said:

“People want mature rp now, the server has changed, and groomers are no longer satisfied with just buying an rp wife, they want to SAVOR every romantic interaction with this 13 year old boy playing a female character. Just because the most newer and younger players want change, doesn’t mean all the older players do. Sorry sweaty, times have changed.”

LOL truuuuuuuu

howdy void, i agree completely. i don't really have the time to dedicate to super serious rp anymore, and honestly i get on lotc to have fun. i completely understand your plight, considering my current main is a schizophrenic drugged up dark elf who makes jams and jellies. the worst part is, unless im around my buddies (mainly du loc) people are always so abrasive when it comes to rp that isn't their a: romance sim b: power trip or c: political simulator.

was there a time when i was larping as arthas menethil and doing my little main character arc? yes. but as someone with a full time job, family, and busy day to day, i come on lotc to hang out with people and laugh. 

i attribute a large part of the sweaty nature lotc has due to (in no particular order) A: lore materials, B: zero value of life and C: people taking themselves too seriously. for halloween in du loc i hosted an event where automaton ratiki zombies rose from the grave crafted by dr. quincy bannington, a doctor who has a vendetta against quentin brae for stealing his initials. he then floated away using a levitation device after villain monologuing. it was fun, and kino, and i believe everyone there had a great time-- though i know if something similar was tried with other players, they'd probably crucify me and try and get me removed for 'meme rp'. 

be the change you want to see in lotc
break the chains that bind
remember:

" #looc: you suck at roleplay "
speaks a thousand words

Too many main characters on LoTC now, not enough fillers.

When was the last time you met a normal guard or a normal tavern server with a bad attitude…or even just a humble farmer who didn’t have a tragic backstory and could triple backflip while holding seven katanas while also being schizophrenic and two tone hair…

Goofy characters characters are fun even in a "serious" setting. My interactions on Josephine Augusta (a very grumpy, no-nonsense old lady) with silly halfling butlers or spider-throwing hobos are great.

Also, raiders and closed gates are a problem because war as it exists sucks. You know what we used to do when a specific group kept raiding our city and making us miserable? We'd conquer their fort and disperse them. Now you execute the same people over and over and they just keep regrouping at their untouchable terrorist headquarters.

LOTC is just a GTA freeroam lobby nowadays, and you can't tell me different

But nOoOoO! I want to pull some random rule I found deep in the pages of the rules that let me somehow force PVP Default so I can kill you, taunt you, and take your stuff. Sorry deary, but times are changing, now die please.

Hello, as a member of Elysium, kinda leadership, if someone is OOCly abusing there role as a soilder without RP to back it up feel free to let someone know, either myself or any of the stewards, its the last thing we want

They don't want serious RP and really don't care for RP actually. The only thing the majority of players on LoTC want is to be at the top of the food chain so they can get to dictate what others can and cannot do. It's never been about the story, it's always been about winning regardless of how horrible the consequences for doing so may be in the long term.

You won't have fun on LoTC, just call it quits and stop trying. 

On 11/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, monkeypoacher said:

i love when people take lotc too seriously to play lotc

It's that everyone is out to get you, there's no point in trying to do any form of RP that drives a narrative forward because if it's "negative" an army of whiteknights and their anti-fun police friends will stop you. It's everyone. I see people trying to constantly point the finger at a specific staff team or even players but I've seen everyone contribute or do nothing about it.

I'm amazed you still play, you know this better then I do. Only horrible, dishonest people play LoTC with the way things are run, but I have always suspected you too of being dishonest so I'm really not surprised you haven't quit.

Edited by drfate786