KOSSAR I HAENZ | KNIGHTS OF HAENSE

The Knights Table

KOSSAR I HAENZ

KNIGHTS OF HAENSE

E5A-W8Erp69bNk2Td3mW6kaEDmiM6LpKmCR3l-uTwmFW3D1u84wzm9qygyuQ0x-FJ9X8FgZEZ_AIJ37c0WE_jIJAeoGKNSZu-DT3qUB0LcwnEyS0DAKw-L5zki8N_t0oHdKSsuQ7

EA SZALMAR TER MZIDER TIZ JOVE AG LENDYYO

“I hath studied the scrolls, Bogatyr,” so spoke Young Feodor to his mentor as they sparred in the courtyard of King Barbov, “but I understand not. What doth honour mean, if not to be he that punishes the wicked?”

And so it was that Slavomir Twicedrowned, greatest of the Bogatyr, told him, “To be honourable is to be a teacher. It is to teach man that on this earth walk Raev who seeketh liars and cretins, knaves and heathens, and so dispatches them to Godani for holy judgment. It is to teach man that should he fall weak to the hands of fate or evil, his brothers shalt right him true, as he shall for them. They doth so knowing, Young Feodor, that man sees with clarity what is right and what is evil, and he shalt not err so. By the sword of the honorable or by his own heart, man learns, so that one day, to be dishonorable shall be as foreign to man as to fly.”

- Ve Haurul i ve Bogatyr
The Book of the Bogaty
r

Spoiler

Knighthood is a proud weave in the tapestry that is the history of the Kongzem of Haense.

To be a warrior of honour who devotes oneself to the welfare of others dates as far back as the Raev King Barbov and the fables of the Ten Bogatyr, from Slavomir Twicedrowned to Szitidor Swordsworn. Since the formation of the Kongzem, the Orders of Knighthood have formed and fallen many times over. It was Andrik II, the Winter King, who first founded the Order of the Golden Gryphon in the fledgling city of St. Karlburg, and it was King Otto II the Prudent who revived them to serve in the city of Alban. It was these orders that inspired the first rendition of the Order of the Crow, the elite warriors of King Andrik III the Unyielding of Reza, only for chivalric knighthood to fall into obscurity until King Josef I the Temperate harkened them back from the grave with the Edict of Knightly Orders in 343ES.

Today, at the turning of the 5th century of the Sigismundic Calendar, there stands three Knightly Chapters that, together, form the Knights of Haense. There is the Order of the Crow, the most dutiful soldiers of all the realm and errants of the Crown; there is the Marian Retinue, life-sworn protectors of the Royal House and most formidable swordsmen of Haense; and lastly there is the Order of Queen Maya and the Lily, for those who better the Kongzem through ways other than the blade. 

Together, they are the Knights of Haense, and this scroll is their tale.

CODE OF CHIVALRY

a_ndI9OGaazgBuH3FSE3KXK2MLRATI0btHGVy2LZ1YcIPPDA5Y3UFKmks0QMTT6LKEwLetIaFtSj_dCRwLEP1wGjBlTEVRVndu7oJhWeHeglK81b99-W6rl9Dsyd-qf8c0aDzfd8

DLUM VE KRAWN IV CAEZK AG JOVIR

To be a Knight is to be honourable, and to be honourable is to live by the Code of Chivalry.

Much like Haeseni Knighthood itself, the modern Code of Chivalry coined by King Sigismund III is the patchwork product of centuries of formation and reformation under various Kings and Knights, each taking inspiration from the last. Today, Knights of all Chapters are bound by this Code, and those who neglect it shall be no Knight at all.

I

EA SZALMAR TER MZIDER TIZ JOVE AG LENDYYO

FEAR GODAN AND MAINTAIN HIS CHURCH

II

DLUM VE KRAWN IV CAEZK AG JOVIR

SERVE THE CROWN IN VALOR AND FAITH 

III

KRUSAE VE MITEL AG KURSAINLESZ NOD AIIEL

PROTECT THE WEAK AND DEFENSELESS

IV

NIEDY BLAUWACZ AIN VENTAL NOD AIN SARNUV

NEVER REFUSE THE CHALLENGE OF AN EQUAL

V

NIEDY PUCZ DONA NOD AIN FITSK

NEVER TURN BACK UPON A FOE

VI

SKRAIJSK ARANYZ IJJIR

DESPISE PECUNIARY REWARD

VII

KURSAIN KAROS CAEZK I VE KRAWN I VE SANRUV KOSSAR

GUARD THE HONOUR OF THE CROWN AND FELLOW KNIGHTS

VIII

SARKIED KAROSEV, TZWAE, AG COURSK

ESCHEW DISHONOUR, DECEIT, AND COWARDICE

IX

BECVEK JEAZIK VE TIER

AT ALL TIMES, SPEAK THE TRUTH

THE KNIGHT'S TABLE

LMXR8NByduxQA45krZkGE6G6G9xJvPu1UGjEA9I9-ot_E3mNcjZ9ksYp060Y3TVfPFoeguPImxLfa1W6FgzrArMkT7KWHcpz0ji2pTIPzQm7cnPzT1czofVJKGI6nRuezibbwXTV

KRUSAE VE MITEL AG KURSAINLESZ NOD AIIEL

As a guild is to craftsmen, the Knight’s Table is the governing body of Haeseni Knighthood.

Be it where it was born in the Ekaterinburg of New Reza, or where it grew in the chambers beneath the Nikirala Palace of Karosgrad, or where it has come to rest as the Castle of Hallesburg, or even in a barren field, the Knight’s Table may convene wherever true Knights assemble in brotherhood. Chaired by the Knight Paramount - First Knight of the Table - and greatest Knight of the Crown, the Knight’s Table sits to discuss quests, admit Squires into the Order, and decide matters of virtue and honour between Knights. 

Of great importance are the Seats of the Knight’s Table, upon which only Knights in active service may sit. Each Seat of the Table is honoured after one of the Ten Bogatyr of the ancient Raev King Barbov, and so the number of sitting Knights may never exceed that. The Seats are ranked as:

Seat of Slavomir Twicedrowned, First Knight of the Table 

Named after the greatest of the ancient Bogatyr, the First Knight of the Table is the Knight Paramount, master of all Knights in the Kongzem.

Seat of Stanislaw Longsuffering, Second Knight of the Table 

The Second Knight of the Table shall be the Meyster Knight, lieutenant of the Knight Paramount, who shall sit in honour of the most loyal ancient Bogatyr. 

Seat of Vlasta Secondsight, Third Knight of the Table 

The seat of Vlasta the wise, who could dissuade armies from senseless battle, marks the rank of Knight Martial, the Third Knight of the Table.

Seat of Ratibor Skysent, Fourth Knight of the Table 

The seat of Bogatyr Ratibor, whose lust for the blood of heretics sent him mad, is given to the veteran and skilled Fourth Knight of the Table.

Seat of Vilorik Turnheel, Fifth Knight of the Table 

The Fifth Knight of the Table, who only learned bravery once he had nothing to lose, belongs to the tested and seasoned Fifth Knight of the Table.

Seat of Mylah Karlstrong, Sixth Knight of the Table 

The indomitable will of Mylah is a fitting match for the experienced Sixth Knight who takes her seat.

Seat of Szitidor Swordsworn, Seventh Knight of the Table

The Blademaster Szitibor relied on his sword above all else, and his seat goes to the Knight who crosses from green to veteran.

Seat of Joszef Seadweller, Eighth Knight of the Table

The fledgling Eighth Knight of the Table takes the seat of Joszef, the Bogatyr who took a ship as his steed.

Seat of Dragan Skullsplitter, Ninth Knight of the Table

The seat of Dragan, who chose brute strength as the answer to all, is fitting for one of the youngest Knights. 

Seat of Bozidar Kindheart, Tenth Knight of the Table

The seat of Bozidar, who lacked the stomach to kill his enemies, is given to the Tenth Knight, the most junior of the Table.

It is the Knight Paramount, First Knight of the Table, who watches over all other Knights and Squires in the course of their duties and ensures the Order runs with unquestioned integrity. While  the Knight Paramount may choose the Meyster Knight, Knight Martial, and assign any other Seats as he sees fit, it is the Crown alone who chooses the Knight Paramount through the ancient ritual of the Drowning of the Blades.

THE ORDER OF THE CROW

xIEXfVRMenh_jPhei9gKGlZARDx8lthyOIWoIw-LVGEvbMLMx7mmbRpIvzgRt3uwrBdi8oZ5DHxhHqSnY4HvHcBzr2BE7XJ7xl877TZ-wMQSxm3SfHyY7KwrHdv6ShVPkziyPNtE

NIEDY BLAUWACZ AIN VENTAL NOD AIN SARNUV

The Order of the Crow is the foremost chapter of Knighthood in the Kongzem.

The Crow Knights, first sworn as liegemen of King Andrik the Unyielding, embody the traditional spirit of chivalric knighthood as the Bogatyr of Old Raev once did. Those dubbed as Crow Knights must also serve as soldiers of the Brotherhood of Saint Karl as the foundation of their fealty to the Kongzem, and alongside their military service they must have mastery of blade, mail, horse, and lance, but also mastery of heart and spirit. The guiding tenet of the Crow Knights is to live not for oneself, but for the Kongzem and those in it -- they abandon their worldly ambitions, and instead toil to build a stronger Kongzem through service of a worthy King, and through hunting out dishonour and evil. They are, in short, the exemplary Haeseni, and through their endeavours, the world is taught to be a better place.

The duties of the Crow Knights are many and shifting, but the core roles include the training of squires who shall one day sit on the Table as Knights themselves, to travel across the continent undertaking quests on behalf of the Crown and Kongzem, to participate in jousts and tourneys across the land for the honour of Haense, and to defend the Crown and Kongzem with their lives.

SQUIRES OF THE TABLE

tuW3tCZ5vyY0k09_LdhfyZvvg9LgxKbwPXz-463EDZ4VN1MCu4dm6tY9R1U1NhYouK0hln8O9pPseahK5s5aruyWlg-ynG7DjUZF4j3-fcuk2aFRTo-OGUqivAeKiVY7pc40_6Ik

NIEDY PUCZ DONA NOD AIN FITSK

As a blade is forged upon an anvil, the path to Knighthood is the harsh one of Squirehood.

To train as a Knight is an ancient rite of the Noble Houses, and so one born so highly need only kneel before the Knight’s Table and have a Knight agree to take them under their tutelage. On rare occasions, a commoner who has proven themselves noble in spirit through a deed of heroism may also be welcomed by the Table. Of note, however, is that a Knight may only take two squires, and so they must choose wisely. Once accepted, a Squire begins their training in arms and spirit as they prepare to undertake the Trials of the Bogatyr - five tests that temper a Squire into a Knight. 

TRIALS OF THE BOGATYR

Throughout their training, Squires are required to complete a total of Five Trials of the Bogatyr out of a list of ten, inspired by the fables of the Bogatyr legends. These Trials may be undertaken at a time the Squire chooses, but should be after at least one year of training. Out of the Five, the Trial of Slavomir is mandatory for all Squires, two are assigned at random by the Knight Paramount, and the Squire may choose the remaining two themselves. The Trials of the Bogatyr are as follows:

THE TRIAL OF SLAVOMIR | TRIAL OF THE WARRIOR

The one Trial that is mandatory for Squires to complete. Slavomir Twicedrowned was famed for his immortality on the battlefield, and earned his moniker when not even Godan could kill him with two shipwrecks. In his Trial, Squires must prove their skill as a warrior, both with blade, horse, and bow, by facing several of the Knight’s Table in duels. 

THE TRIAL OF STANISLAW | TRIAL OF FORTUNE

Stanislaw Longsuffering lived to see his brothers and family die around him in his service, and forever called himself cured. The Squire in this Trial is tasked with hunting a common forest bear, but must carry the cursed Scabbard of Stanislaw. According to legend, he who carries the Scabbard will always be struck with the worst luck -- arrows shall miss, blades shall break, and boots shall slip.

THE TRIAL OF VLASTA | TRIAL OF BALANCE

Vlasta Secondsight relied too heavily on diplomacy, and died in an enemy prison as a consequence. In her Trial, the Squire must rely on both wits and strength to escape from a locked dungeon.

THE TRIAL OF RATIBOR | TRIAL OF FAITH

Driven mad in his quest to kill heathens, Ratibor’s Trial teaches Squires to spread Godan’s word without losing one’s soul. In this Trial, Squires must convert a pagan to Canonism, or destroy a site of pagan worship.

THE TRIAL OF VILORIK | TRIAL OF COURAGE

Only through abandoning what he loved did Vilorik conquer fear. His Trial shall pit the Squire against a haunted place of horrors from which they must escape. 

THE TRIAL OF MYLAH | TRIAL OF WILL

Mylah’s willpower was equal to her infamous stubbornness, but she never balked from a task. In her Trial, Squires are placed in an environment of intense pressure and required to escape.

THE TRIAL OF SZITIBOR | TRIAL OF WIT

Szitibor was among the great Raev warriors with a blade, but as useful as a squire without. Squires must succeed in his Trial by besting a monster in the Attenlund swamps with no weapons.

THE TRIAL OF JOSZEF | TRIAL OF JUDGMENT

Second only to Slavomir as a commander was Joszef Seadweller. To pass his Trial, Squires must exercise kindness and caution as they are presented with a series of petitions which they must answer justly.

THE TRIAL OF DRAGAN | TRIAL OF POWER

As progenitor of the Scyflings, Dragan was said to possess the physical might of a Rimetroll, but also the brains of one. In his Trial, Squires must learn that power is the product of brain and brawn by completing a puzzle.

THE TRIAL OF BOZIDAR | TRIAL OF ENDURANCE

Too warm-blooded to kill, Bozidar instead carried an enormous shield into battle to protect his liege. His Trial tasks Squires with crossing a battlefield, using only a shield and stamina to remain unscathed. 

THE FINAL QUEST

Once a Squire has passed all their Five Trials of the Bogatyr, there remains one last challenge to conquer before they can be dubbed a Knight. There is no set trial or format for the Final Quest, no inspiring fable or tale of old. This task, a culmination of all a Squire has learned and endured, can be any great task assigned by the Crown or Knight Paramount. Though historically the Final Quest has required the hunting of a great monster, it can include other great undertakings, such as charting a foreign land, reclaiming a lost treasure, slaying a knave of infamy, or some such task. The Squire may accept no help in this task, and the chance of death is high. Should they, however, succeed, they are dubbed a Knight of Haense before the Royal Court.

THE MARIAN RETINUE

yCRa36BQ8Bx2wL2QZ1Tb8aLCj3_X5cn9iV4s27f9ZSIsRdzAJ9u95ygz7bmYtfY3H88hqQJBWl6ftfwRGoCPdQkIaLC-vlPjqC1IT10yxteLR5UidmlDSJ0r3xvy8SZkjcfR1IvC

SKRAIJSK ARANYZ IJJIR

The Marian Retinue are the personal and soulsworn protectors of the Crown.

Though they compose part of the wider Order of the Crow, the Marian Retinue are distinguished from their knightly brothers through their absolute devotion to the safety of the King, Queen, or their children. A Marian Knight is not just a protector who ensures their charge travels safely -- they are their charge’s shadow, their mentor, and their friend. They are privy to secrets and truths their charge would share with no other, and honour compels them to take their own life should their charge die in their care.

THE MARIAN RECKONING

The Marian Reckoning is the special trial an aspiring Marian Knight must undertake when they are given a charge to protect. In the Reckoning, the charge - whether they be a new-born heir or an aged Princess whose previous Knight has died - is placed in a situation of serious and real danger, such as being caged above a pit of snakes or wolves or abandoned in the blizzards of the Rimeveld, and the aspiring Marian Knight must save them as proof of their commitment to the charge, and their capability to protect them no matter the cost.

DUBBING

qCzZlZzhO8qLubktZwk917kYcdT1ot5KCYmyjImeFaPNmGEDP6q9PYMxX-G_gMinnGAFI5QTN64hqgntOqH6xUO0cpjxF9PMP5IkIBaGuYsyDpvtHPdzNxsJG4kVNLrUVnlXn3VD

KURSAIN KAROS CAEZK I VE KRAWN I VE SANRUV KOSSAR

A Squire who completes their Five Trials of the Bogatyr and the Final Quest shall kneel before the Crown and the Royal Court to speak the following vow and be dubbed a Knight:

Crown: Do you, [Name], swear now upon the blade of Gaius Marius, the first Hochmesiter of our earliest order, that all you say now is true, and that you have come to receive your Knighthood?

Squire: I do.

Crown: The truth is the burden of all Knights, one that only the diligent can bear. Will you be true in all things, even if it may lead to your demise?

Squire: I will.

Crown: To bear this burden, a Knight must be strong. Will you be strong of spirit, and resilient to all forms of temptation? 

Crown: In order to be strong, a Knight must be brave. Will you be courageous against your enemies, and defend the helpless even at the cost of your life?

Crown: In order to be brave, a Knight must have honour and loyalty, lest he fall to sin. The Knight must be above reproach, his/her honour and allegiance unquestioned. Will you be honourable and loyal to Godan, to your King, to your Kongzem, and your people?

Crown: When you take this oath, you shall no longer be a man/woman. You shall be a Knight, invested with holy responsibility by Godan Himself. Do you accept this holy mission?

Squire: I do.

Crown: And so you swear to be brave, strong, and true, as all Knights must be?

Squire: I so swear.

Crown: Do you swear to be honourable and loyal, and to never forsake your vows nor your allegiance?

Crown: And do you swear to uphold all which is good and holy, and to honour Godan in all your actions?

Crown: Then I shal you to your oath, and if ever you part with it, may you also part with your life. I name you Ser/Dame [Name] [Moniker] of the Order of the Crow/Marian Retinue. May Godan keep you and uphold. Rise now, not as a mere subject, but as a Knight of Haense.

At the conclusion of the ceremony, the Knight is given their personal weapon, forged by the Royal Smith, as their badge of office.

ORDER OF QUEEN MAYA & THE LILY

fWgkgdjt46fegJi3FxVvqFKrsjmXxTeGHVfY1OxassFnzpzyw_RAGzrx-jlPnWTQSbYeYebkewet1_cb45ko5EiiJSJwt7cYHVziiqeo-g-wtw83HSpwn5E5iIeMlkfLTlbjwrJM

SARKIED KAROSEV, TZWAE, AG COURSK

The Order of Queen Maya and the Lily is the Kongzem’s body of meritorious Knights.

Founded by King Sigismund the Soldier in New Reza in 227ES, the Order of Queen Maya is the newest of the Kongzem’s knightly chapters, and it differs significantly from that of the Order of the Crow and the Marian Retinue in that its members are chiefly non-militant -- instead, they are often politics, doctors, clergymen, artists, and other such crafts, whose contributions to the Kongzem are so great that they are worthy of honour as much as Crow or Marian Knights. Knights of the Lily do not, however, sit upon the Knight’s Table, take the title of ‘Ser’ or ‘Dame’, and take Squires. Instead, they may go by ‘Kossar’ or ‘of the Lily’.

HONOURS OF THE LILY

VALTAKOSSAR

The highest possible civilian honour in the Kongzem of Haense, awarded to those whose achievements and contributions to the Kongzem are matched by no other. Those honoured as Valtakossar may use the signature of ‘VKML’.

HAUCHKOSSAR

Awarded to Haeseni for significant achievements, the likes of which most others shall never accomplish. Those honoured as Hauchkossar may use the signature of ‘HKML’.

KOSSAR

Awarded to Haeseni for remarkable achievements that go beyond the regular course of duty in bettering the Kongzem. Those honoured as Kossar may use the signature of ‘KML’.

Initially, subjects of the Kongzem were dubbed as Knights of the Lily at the discretion of the Crown. Since the reign of King Sigismund III, the role of nominating Haeseni into the Order has belonged to the Royal Duma. Therefore, the Crown only names subjects to the Order of Queen Maya if they are given the support of the Haeseni people through the Royal Duma.

When dubbed before the Royal Court, Knights of the Lily swear an oath different from that of the militant Knights:

“I, [Name], hereby swear my service to the Crown and Kongzem of Haense, in obedience to law and the dignity of the Kongzem, as well as to the benefit of the Haeseni people. I swear to protect the Jeremic Rights of Life, Liberty, Bearing Arms, Privacy, and Property through righteous action and pious defense, holding true in life and in deed the sanctity of my person and the Kongzem. With Godan as my witness, I do swear this.”

THE KNIGHTLY ARCHIVES

GMvW8KiFxzHKBFMFc1U00ZLv4mH5cXllCWu-qGwpW8cWd9fGHahOs1X3j4UVey3i0YVQvd25sSjX7AiQnz5cIECbxN1FjhEcV-_WuLetshm3DwGphPAtERAulYu7GdGjsM-2Ah17

BECVEK JEAZIK VE TIER

Throughout its storied history, the many iterations of Knighthood in Haense have given rise to many scrolls, tenets, legends, laws, and history. The Knightly Archives within Hallaburg Castle store these texts for the Order to study.

IMPORTANT RECORDS

The Knight's Atlas

Recording the lives and deeds of all Knights of Haense of all Orders since their foundation.

Knight-Paramounts of Haense

A record of all the esteemed warriors who held the post of Knight-Paramount throughout history.

Order of Queen Maya and the Lily

The scroll listing all Haeseni subjects commemorated in the Order of Queen Maya and the Lily since its inception.

Traditions of Knighthood

The writings of Ser Alric the Chevliar on the traditions of Haeseni Knighthood.

The Drowning of the Blades

The ritual of appointing a Knight-Paramount.

HISTORICAL RECORDS

Knightly Orders of Hanseti-Ruska

The structure of Haeseni Knighthood until 397ES

Edict of Knightly Orders 343ES

The Royal Edict that re-established formal military knighthood in the Kongzem.

1st Sitting of the Knight's Table

A record of the very first sitting of the Knight's Table.

LEGENDS

The Missing Explorers

The self-written record of Ser Karl Amador the Humble on a quest.

Trollslayers' Ballad

A ballad commemorating the deaths of Ser Boris the Persistent and Ser Viktor the Valiant.

Memoirs of Ser Alric the Chevalier

[Please note that this is not public knowledge, and the post it just included here for entertainment.]

A Study of Ser Ulric Vyronov, Knight of Yore

Knowledge

Chivalry

IV JOVEO IHR 398ES

IV JOVEO MAAN

His Royal Majesty SIGISMUND III by the Grace of Godan, King of Hanseti and Ruska, Grand Hetman of the Army, Prince of Bihar, Dules, Lahy, Muldav, Solvesborg, Slesvik and Ulgaard, Duke of Carnatia and Vanaheim, Margrave of Korstadt, Rothswald and Vasiland, Count of Alban, Alimar, Baranya, Graiswald, Karikhov, Karovia, Kaunas, Kavat, Kovachgrad, Kvasz, Markev, Nenzing, Torun, and Toruv, Viscount of Varna, Baron of Esenstadt, Kraken’s Watch, Kralta, Krepost, Lorentz, Rytsburg, Thurant, Venzia and Astfield, Lord of the Westfolk, Protector of the Highlanders, etcetera.

kaDgh42nmyxGXRDD8lCVrmgxdnwB1lVHGref026S6_SQGovVzrwPuxy4xX4okPmRvyMxNHeFBXnRWaf9p6hxBoKXGQ5YY5Xc1LUQvyseRLkJzy364TMWxcW6_rZiVJxZgvOskzNK=s0

Edited by Knights of Haense