What do players think of Almaris and it's events from the past year?

JuztLizzy

i've had fun so far this map, participated in some pretty engaging events that gave my character lots of development. definitely not the best map by any means, but LOTC is what you make of it and I'm definitely still enjoying myself (: 

2 hours ago, Fionn__TWG said:

Me and 4 friends, one of which was an ET, strolled up to Elysium, since it was the most populated at the time, as hedge knights and challenged people to random challenges, such as a drinking contest or my challenge which was to see who could harvest more land in 5 minutes. It was entertaining to us since we got to interact with a community we rarely go to, and I hope it was entertaining to those who participated. It would be fantastic to see ETs more focused on the small things like that rather than large eventlines, would make the server a lot more realistic if we were doing small stuff like finding a missing child or stopping a fire rather than facing npc army #563.

I was there for that, it was fun and it didn't need context or any foreshadowing either. They were just some larger-than-life characters who turned up and roleplayed.

Just going to reiterate that we've been going over these map issues for literally years and haven't ever reached consensus because we don't remember what happened before.  After Athera everyone was saying the map was too small and cluttered, nations were all running into each other.  Now apparently its too big, even though travel times from CT are no worse than on Axios.

I don't mean there aren't any problems with Almaris, I just think if people were more content with the state of RP, they would be more content with the map too.  Without improvements to the state of RP (which could take many forms) people will develop new complaints with a new map once the novelty wears off.

Genuinely, this is all really good feedback. I will personally say that I have dropped the ball and not done fantastically as an ST lead. It's very easy to see and look at the products that have been produced. Most eventlines, if they were done we're produced by big heavy hitter ETs and that was it. Random encounters are very hard to choreograph when, no-one is ever alone and when they are, they're normally afking in a room with another person. The story and history for this map I will take sole responsibility for, it is something I hope to have amended when I step down as admin and take on a more backfacing lore writing position to help collaborate and make something for people to run that will be engaging.

There's a few really small cute eventlines happening atm, but it's hard to break away from any CRP based events when majority of them transform into it no matter what. It's always a hard thing to try and tackle every nation, every playerbase and person to have them engaged and involved in events. My own manpower of the ET is not as strong as it could be with the amount of people, so I do genuinely always ask for people to apply if they are interested. It's a constant need to have more creatives to eventually bolster big and small events, where the random encounters can be made aswell as the big ones.

so this is a self depreciation post and an ask for help, if you're interested and want to see some change. If you apply now, you won't have to deal with me as a lead for very long and will get what you want.

2 hours ago, Ryloth said:

quite a lot of information from the top! o.0 how'd that get there? but all true and explanatory for the failure that is almaris. revert to arcas plz

caelria ban in t-minus 10...

edit: Almaris is probably one of my least enjoyed maps of all time on LotC. It's too big, it doesn't feel real, most trees are titanic, not enough unique custom biomes but the ones we do have are way too large, hub system is complete trash, CT is horrific and isn't even an RP hub just a HyPixel lobby, cities are too unregulated and colossal with RP spread so thin you might as well be starring in I Am Legend, too many cities, no freebuild area, roads/horses only got better after an entire year in, the dynamap is 4-5+ months ancient and staff laugh about it right now but new players are led to the wrong locations, nodes suck, nations have like 902029130 billion unregulated vassals spreading rp out even more while 90% of these vassals die 3 weeks in leaving a huge ghost town (vasiyeva/stygian hollow and all of sutica's remaining remnant builds Savoy is forced to knock down by hand which creates huge temporary world scars)

I have invited several people to play on this server and they have quit in the first week/month due to the above issues. Can we just have an Athera again? That was the best map we've ever had for RP hands down.

Give up on having Athera 2.0, people were fighting pretty much all the time on that map and the times don't allow that anymore

But if you really want that, get rid of raid cooldowns and caps, get a small map and a big road and you're good to go

32 minutes ago, ScreamingDingo said:

Genuinely, this is all really good feedback. I will personally say that I have dropped the ball and not done fantastically as an ST lead. It's very easy to see and look at the products that have been produced. Most eventlines, if they were done we're produced by big heavy hitter ETs and that was it. Random encounters are very hard to choreograph when, no-one is ever alone and when they are, they're normally afking in a room with another person. The story and history for this map I will take sole responsibility for, it is something I hope to have amended when I step down as admin and take on a more backfacing lore writing position to help collaborate and make something for people to run that will be engaging.

There's a few really small cute eventlines happening atm, but it's hard to break away from any CRP based events when majority of them transform into it no matter what. It's always a hard thing to try and tackle every nation, every playerbase and person to have them engaged and involved in events. My own manpower of the ET is not as strong as it could be with the amount of people, so I do genuinely always ask for people to apply if they are interested. It's a constant need to have more creatives to eventually bolster big and small events, where the random encounters can be made aswell as the big ones.

so this is a self depreciation post and an ask for help, if you're interested and want to see some change. If you apply now, you won't have to deal with me as a lead for very long and will get what you want.

I don't play and all so what do I know, but I'm pretty sure you could have done fantastic as a story admin and people would still disappointed... you know that a story is not enough, people have to be engaged and you can't have that when everyone is allowed to be sheltered in their own clique without interaction from the outside

you know who's to blame for the stagnatation and blah blah blah won't repeat myself

There's a lot of hate throughout these comments on the map and its blandness, I personally do enjoy it to some extent. The map's largeness may be bad in terms of finding rp and whatnot, but from an exploration stand point, it's interesting. When I get bored enough to go exploring, more often than not I manage to find a little treat or surprise, from signs to new houses. There are several issues in this map I too can't ignore as many have complained about, like the treacherous mountain ranges and whatever the heck the hole-mountains in the North are, but as I've said before, it's interesting. (Except when you accidently fall into one of the holes and die because they're so freaking deep.)

I don't want to rant too much, but from a regular player stand point, I too have some complaints and opinions, but I'll just put two for the sake of length. As much as I love traveling, it is annoying to arrive at a town after traveling for a solid five minutes, only for it to be completely deserted. What I can guess about the scale of Almaris was that they wanted people to spread out and not clump together, and I get that, but it is annoying to travel that far with the conclusion literally no one is there. (This mainly refers to the larger cities, who got to choose their placements at the beginning.) Also, in some instances people are clumping together anyways because of the mountain issue? 

Now, what I do like is the events! I get stressed out easily so some events like the crp related ones that I don't initiate myself can be crossed out of the 'liked' list. The events I do like are the smaller, player-ran ones; specifically the parties, hunts, and whatnot. Of course they don't just relate to this map- but I've spent the majority of my LOTC time on Almaris. 

I should add that do like a few of the ST-ran events too. These are specifically the Crypts (valley) that ran for awhile, Attunland, and the Rimevald Trolls. People could participate in their own ways (which is probably like any other St event, but I haven't attended others so I wouldn't really know) and it was just nice. 
Okay that's it, epic disappearance 

who would've thought that having one major ST event (elvenesse) and one war (oren-norland) is bad for meaningful roleplay

a lot of people here are commenting on how nothing memorable will come from this map and they're right. without war rules or big continental eventlines that have consequences, rp on almaris is defined by day after day of slice of life rp

i see some of you reminiscing about old lotc wars and, in the same breath, lobbying for war rules where the victors gain little and the defeated lose little. dont think it gets more ironic. you'll talk about how great past conflicts were for roleplay with consequences and then deny new players that same opportunity because of the condescending notion that "lotc players arent mature enough to handle conflict" lol

This map showed me I waste my time on this game and it's terribly no fun so I quit

So I'd say it's pretty good all things considered

Had fun for a good while since me and the gang ran the MRA, but that was stressful in itself because of OOC politics. Ando Alur exclusion zone is fun but the wait is painfully long to get an ST. I do enjoy my 16 hour sreq for some ST signed potions, I'm having fun doing this too much fun. Villainy RP or even minor conflict doesn't happen (besides the green mafias events) often due to a multitude of things, examples include THE Soloman Raven CEO of Racism vs 10 guards. ET should start doing minor events, I like those and they appeal to the ordinary player that isn't carrying around an entire inventory filled with ST signed CRP items.

6 hours ago, Fionn__TWG said:

Me and 4 friends, one of which was an ET, strolled up to Elysium, since it was the most populated at the time, as hedge knights and challenged people to random challenges, such as a drinking contest or my challenge which was to see who could harvest more land in 5 minutes. It was entertaining to us since we got to interact with a community we rarely go to, and I hope it was entertaining to those who participated. It would be fantastic to see ETs more focused on the small things like that rather than large eventlines, would make the server a lot more realistic if we were doing small stuff like finding a missing child or stopping a fire rather than facing npc army #563.

enjoyed the funny little event, beat up knockoff General Zukhov and got a little player signed medal for doing so

Subpar & Depressing. There are so many factors from the start of that map that could be tallied but i'm gonna be simple. Every city I visit usually seems like a ghost town (likely due to the size of the map) and there doesn't seem to be any big story being made that's worth rallying to.

This map seems like overexaggerated role-play that has no specific direction to an action & yet conflicts that make up the history of each map has deliberately been ceased by staff making assumptions that because 'communities don't honor each other in war' and 'current players don't like conflict' should be a means of focusing more heavily on community role-play. The low bar LoTC sets on activity by simply being online in a city is poor and lacks any higher tier of activity such as movements, campaigns, raids, PvE or PvP events, conflicts, competitions, or any other activity that could be performed preventing any higher player retention.

4 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

I wouldn't blame yourself entirely. I do believe this is not the strongest you have been - as I was there to view your works on Mordskov - and you could have done more. But, at the same time I feel as if the server has taken a turn. I've seen in many nations events being provided by ET and the players instantly resorting to a decision that left the event to end swiftly and not really allow for further engagement. Though, at the same time that can be blamed on perhaps the ET not doing rp which caters to the specific nation. [EX: On halloween a skeleton came into Oren court, which they instantly killed, due to them being heavily anti-undead] You managed to get work done, even if not as much as needed for the position you hold, you did a good job. I hate when people shit on themselves for not 'doing enough' for a volunteer position, even if I don't get along with said individual or do not really like them all that much. Thanks for contributing a bit to LOTC and the community as Admin.