The Last Embers [PK]

WrathOfQuacken

Ser William has always had a fire burning in his heart- a passion that kept him alive. But now those roaring flames were dying, withering away into a few final embers. He could've kept going if he wanted to, he thought, lift the sword again and return to Rozania, or continue wandering the lands with his beloved. Maybe. But they felt it was time to go off to a better place. Together.

Sailing down the sea of souls, there was nothing more he longed for. He closed his eyes, and for the first time in forever he could be him. He felt free- liberated. The crackling of fire, the gentle waves of the ocean, the aftertaste of poison on his tongue, the warmth of a lover's embrace. His eyelids felt heavy, and he felt his embers die out as his life waned.

He spent his last moments reflecting...

He lived a good life, that old man. He was young once, young and piss poor. But he didn't care- he was happy. He had a hope and a dream in his eyes. A little castle out in the countryside, a loving wife to hold his hand, a handful of babes running around and playing on his nerves. For a while, he had more than that. He had it all. He experienced loves that made his heart fluttered, he raised children that did him proud, he forged friendships he didn't deserve, with people who were twice the man he was. All he had he earned with his own two hands, through a long and hard journey, but he never stood alone. It were people like his lifelong friends Eliza and Aylin, the allies the likes of Lomiei and Rebeka, and loyal men-at-arms like Ser Brawly that always had his back. Of course, he couldn't forget about his wife, no matter what it was, she stood by him, supporting him in every way possible.

But life wasn't always smooth. Some marriages were cut short by death or faded feelings. Some children proved to be disappointing. Some allies and friends and even family stabbed his back. But he embraced it in the end, for you can't have the good without the bad. He knew that more than anyone, after all, he wasn't always a good man. He lied, slain, cheated, caused pain, and for what? In the end it mattered not. He couldn't change the past, although he wished he could've been a better man. He wondered what went wrong down the line. He was 'good' once, when he was younger. At least that's what he thought. Maybe the people back in his days were kinder, just like the prices were fair and politicians were noble, the air cleaner, and whatever else an old man could claim.

He thought about his final letters, the ones he left with one of his trusted stewards before this departure. He wondered what these people would say, and whether they would forgive him. He smiled to himself- he could die with hope in his heart. The same hope that filled him in his youth. But...he was tired now...it was time to sleep...

And that was the end of William Buckfort.

Letters:

To my children,
Janusz, Aldigar, Romilda, Oisin, Gawain, Galahad, Estella, Nadia, Gwyn, etc

Spoiler

I am sorry I have not been the best father. I held you to higher standards than I held myself because I didn’t want you to turn out like me. I wanted you to be better. I should’ve been a father, not a dungeon warden, but I hope that, at the very least, you could learn from my mistakes. Be better than I was. Be kinder and stronger. Look after one another.

I love you all,
Father

To Aldigar,

Spoiler

You, son, grew up to be a finer man than I could’ve hoped. Your heart was always in the right place, and your honour remained unquestionable. Where’er you are now, know that I am right there by your side. You’re an old dog now, but if I could, I’d take you by the hand and take you to the fields to play- Hide and seek maybe? You’ve always reminded me of my younger self- I was better then. And your son, Kenric, he’s a fine chap, too. I see a lot of you in him. You’ve been a good son, and a good father.

Be strong for our kin,
Father

To Estella,

Spoiler

All I can say to you is that I am sorry, my sweet baby girl. I’ve been unfair to you, trying to hold you down, and keep you at my breast forevermore. Maybe in another world, I could. The truth is, I couldn’t stand you growing up. It aches my heart that my little aengul has grown. I wish in vain I could go back to the time I held you in my arms, bouncing you up and down day and night, telling you stories and singing lullabies.  But you’ve grown into a woman at some point, and I guess I had a hard time accepting that. I hope you can forgive me, and try to understand that it was never my intention to hurt you. I want the best for you, birdie, nothing but the best.

With love,
Father

To Gwyn,

Spoiler

I’ll tell you a secret first, love, but you must take it to your grave, aye? You’ve been my favourite since the day you were born- my pride and joy. My little moon. Always stay true to who you are. Follow your heart and be happy. You won’t forget about your old man now, will you? Have a tea party for me every now and again. You, your dolls and I.

With love,
Father

To Oisin,

Spoiler

It hurts my pride to write this, more than you can imagine. For many years I wished I hadn’t sired you. I wished I hadn’t opened my arms to you. In the end, the past cannot be changed. I can’t exactly forgive you, for all that you’ve done, but I’m sure the feeling’s mutual. Our family was created broken, by the actions of a broken man, forging more broken men. I’ve spent my last years reflecting. I know that love can bloom anywhere, but you must realize that it was my duty as a father to forbid your union with a harlot. It was for your own good, I told myself. But what do I know? I suppose it was ironic of me to lecture someone about impurity. To this day, I disapprove of your godforsaken marriage. Still, I regret straining our relationship. I regret not being a father when I should’ve been. For what it’s worth, you’re still my son, and I love you. Should you give a damn about the name, it’s there for you to take. At times I wonder what your grandpa would’ve done if he was still here. I haven’t been an aengul, have I?

Your half-siblings are still your kin by blood. Some of them are still young and will need guidance finding their way in this world. It’s a lot to ask, considering what had happened, but should you not wish to do me this favour, do it for your step-mother. She’s loved you as her own, as she loved all my children. Look after them, should they need it. Life’s hard, and it’s even harder when you’re on your own.

Signed,
Father

To Axilya,

Spoiler

Bread Duck Cake. I hope this letter finds you well for a change, Ax. I know you haven’t been dealt the best of cards, and I haven’t exactly helped that. I’m sorry I wasn’t a better friend, and I wasn’t always there. You’ve done a great deal for me, however. Every memory of you I treasure well. You never fail to put a smile on my face. Never. It took some time, but I now see how soft and fragile you are. If I had known what I know now all those years ago, I would’ve been your shield, my friend. You’re bound to live a long life, being a silly long-eared creature, but don’t forget me, alright? You’re a good girl, Axilya, you hadn’t done anyone wrong; you’re a good girl. No matter what anyone says.

Yours sincerely,
William

To Her Grace, Lady Eliza Raven I,

Spoiler

What have I done to deserve a friend such as you? At times I think I really don’t deserve your friendship. In fact, the world doesn’t deserve you, dearest Eliza. You’ve got the warmest, most open heart the world has seen. I wouldn’t be where I am today if not for you. I wouldn’t be half the man I am. I know it doesn’t mean much, considering everything I’ve done to hurt you. Regardless, thank you for always looking after me. For being there through thick and thin. If I was a better man, I would’ve returned the favour. I love you, Eliza. You were right about outliving me, in the end. Still, better dead than an old coot, ain’t I right? It’s been some time since I saw your face, but that spares me the pain of counting your wrinkles, eh? I jest, I jest. I’m sure your Adunian genes have preserved your beauty from this fate. At any rate, dearest friend, it is my hope all works well for you in the end. I’ll see you when your time comes.

Farewell,
William

To Belladonna,

Spoiler

I was a different man when we met. A cruel man, perhaps. Unjust. I’m sorry for the hurt I have caused you and your compatriots. I only hope that the time we have spent being a family- even if just for a moment- helped mend these old wounds. I did what I could to make things right. I’ve tried, and now I only wish I’d have tried harder. The tears, the laughs and everything in between was worth it for me. I’ve gotten to see a side of you I never thought I'd get to see. You’re a good lass, and will make a fantastic mother to your child. Be sure you tell him stories about how much of a d*ckhead I’ve been, will ya? I wish you well. Keep Ser Mellow safe for me. I’m glad to have been a part of that family, even if just for a moment.

Signed,
William

To Ser Brawly,

Spoiler

What is there to say, ser? You were like a son to me. Never have I had a more faithful and loyal companion. Whene’er the call to rally sounded, you were there. You were there for me, you were there for the realm, you were there for your family- our family. Looking at you was like looking at the man I wanted to me. I strived to be. Your heart was always in the right place. Your words spoke true and your love knew no bounds. Ever since I remember, you were a loving husband, a caring father, a loyal bannerman and a true friend. From the very first moment you stepped foot in my county. You’ve always put family first, and I cannot fault you for that. That is what a true man does. Family. It’s important, aye? Should you find Rozanians in need, be sure to offer your hand. After all, we’re all kin. We’ve slept within the same tents and walls, we’ve shed blood for one another, we’ve eaten and drank together. We’ve mourned together. A long time ago I asked you to make an oath, and you hesitated naught for a second. It is time for me to release you from this oath, ser. Send Ezra and the kids my best regards. I’ve no doubt you’ll look after them well.

Sarissa Forever,
William

To Lady Aylin,

Spoiler

My dearest Aylin, I hope this letter finds you well as I fear it is my last. There is a lot I could apologize for, that much I know. I was a different man then, driven by malice. I don’t know what changed in me down the line, to have my temper flare up in such fashion. A lot has changed with both of us, but if I could go back to those days in Elysium where we sat down with tea and chocolate biscuits, it would mean the world to me. We’ve gone our separate ways, aye, but some things you just cannot forget. My wife is my true love, and your husband’s yours, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t still hold feelings for you. In another world, we could've made it happen, maybe, when heather bells grow cockle shells. When And I like to think that somewhere inside, you love me a little bit, too. We’ll meet on the other side, my Nojoom princess.

Signed,
Your most ardent admirer

To Puff-Puff,

Spoiler

Aaaaaah, williwam panpapes Puff-Puff. *Various little sketches adorned the parchment- a lil sun in the corner, a couple of clouds, a cat/dog/horse-thing, etc.*

Signed,
*A little stickman is drawn here.*

To Kobint,

Spoiler

Whatever it was about you, it was good. I’ve always remembered you as a good man. A loyal man. The way you lit up at the sight of me whenever we met and ran over to embrace me warmed my heart. It felt nice to know that someone still cared for me, despite everything. Be well wherever you go, good Kobint. Know that you’re a friend of mine, an my blessings are with you.

Thank you for the 'yeezies' you have given me. They have been of great value on my journey.

Signed,
William

To Qiew,

Spoiler

You, boy, are a good lad. I know that Reb’s proud of you, where’er she is now. I view you like a son of mine, and only wish the best for you. I hope you manage to find yourself- discover who you are. Don’t be afraid to pursue your dreams. Don’t let anything or anyone hold you down. Write that book you wanted to write, and make me proud, aye? Though I may be gone, my family’s there, and should you need it, they’ll look after you. They’re good people, Qiew. I promise.

Signed,
William

To Dame Matilda,

Spoiler

My dear sister, I was not the brother I should've been. The things I said weren't right. It took me years to understand that when I should've known from the beginning. I criticized your sexuality when I should've supported it. Your wife is as beautiful as you, and I hope you're still living out your days somewhere out there.

With love,
Your big dipsh*t brother

To Mika,

Spoiler

Fondly do I recall my days sitting in your council, your grace. Sutica had not had a finer ruler since. When you reigned over the realm, there was hope, there was freedom, there was banter. I regret not standing up to defend your name. If I so could, I'd gone back in time to stand beside you and Domonic, fighting until the last drop of blood in my veins.
May the company of the Silver Lubba grow prosperous, and may whatever gods are up there guide your sword hand where'er you go.

Sutica Eternal.

Signed,
William

To Erwin Bishop,

Spoiler

I hope you've been doing well. I wouldn't have written to you were it not to tell you to send my best regards to the pleasant ghost-lady I've met in your company. Other than that, I wanted to praise you for becoming a strong and independent man. You've grown to resemble your father and a late friend of mine.

And for f*ck's sake, be nice to your sister.

God be with you

Signed,
Mister Bockfart

Morana, formally known as Nesrin (though she kept her past a secret), had heard the news. She sat down on her bed, rubbing at her eyes. "**** you, William." She had said with a shaky voice, before she began to cry, "Damn you for being human. If only you could've lived a longer life." The wood elf went down to her kitchen, and grabbed a few drinks. She reflected back on the times she hadn't been the kindest to William, despite him being her friend. Morana cringed, regretting her actions. She had just lost her wives, and now her first friend, too? What else could she lose?

Reserved.png

Spoiler

But also this sneaky OoC bit. 
Quacken, you're an utter gem and one of the first friends and RP experiences I've had on LoTC. 
You're an incredible person and I am honoured to be your friend. William was such a fascinating character to watch you portray and I am so very sad it has come to this. 
I hope we do this again soon. 
Love always, 
Charbs

Carlos Mendez frowns, very much so actually. "..Sorry, William." He affirms somberly. "Ea will always remember the good times with ti."

Spoiler

I’m not crying. It’s just rain outside. 

Nadia Buckfort would read the letter, and at this, lost all words. She sat silently. Knowing however, William did in fact love her, made her feel like maybe… just maybe it would all be okay. She would miss him, hell she always had missed him, but now would be different. He might just be… at peace. Finally. 

Rebeka la Waevra sat arm in arm with Lomiei @Lomiei in the seven skies, fairly certain her TRULY CANONIST friend of hers would be seeing them shortly. How she missed William dearly, and couldn’t wait to discuss so much of his last moments. She loved William, in a way only a true friend could. 

For years, Oisin had been reflecting upon the relationship with his father. William was never there to raise him as a young boy, but Oisin would be lying if he said he learned nothing from his estranged Father. William taught him how to command, to lead men into battle. For that, Oisin was thankful. Late at night after having recieved the letter, Oisin spoke to himself.

"More than a decade its been since you and I split. I must admit, I still think of the day. The day that led to thousands being murdered and our family being torn at the seams. The things I did, who I did them to..." Oisin sighed softly as he looked up at the night sky "You had every right to carry your hatred of me to your grave. Hell, you probably still do, wherever your soul has travelled. Either way, through everything, my largest regret was and is splitting from my family. Nadia, Aldigar, Gwyn...I hurt them all. I suppose the only thing I can do now is honor your wishes. I will not take the Buckfort name again, GOD knows I no longer deserve it, but I will never abandon my kin again." 

Oisin went to rub his forehead as he became overwhelmed with sadness, the Prince doing his best to hold in his tears. "I am sorry, William. Rest at peace, and know that I will never again stain your bloodline with dishonor."

"Goodbye, Father."

Puff-Puff glanced over the paper, confused by it all. Though, it became clear once Williwam was not found. 

Puff-Puff began to cry.

John Aurelius Hartcold hears upon the news of the death of the so late so 'King of Rozania'. The viscount would not weep, cry or even mourn the mans death instead he would be partially belated at the news "The man didn't get the death he deserved for ordering the murder of my father in the streets...he is lucky the House of Hartcold did not get our hands on him otherwise his death would of been long and painful...i shall not pray for him or his family...they claim to be canonist but did so to try and hide away from the righteous bringing fury upon them for their sins" John sighs as he looks up to the sky with a short and brief smile as he rocked his daughter in his arms "You can rest easy now father now that your murderer is no longer in the land of the living...nor in the seven skies with you"

A ghostly figure who did walk the streets of Rozania came to a stop. The person she usually saw by now was  no where in sight, but she knew that maybe he had gone to a better place.  "I will miss you, you stinky old bastard of a man. Lest you roam like me."

Sir Galahad reads over the letter from his father and sheds a singular tear.

Qiew la Waevra in the midst of reading his letter, started to cry. A terrible ugly cry, he couldn't believe that William really died. How could he? William was like a father or a guide out of the darkness that he found himself buried in. No matter how many times Qiew was sad, William was always there. Qiew sat alone in his house, with his face in his hands as he wept.

Gwyn wept. Oh, how she cried for hours and then days for her parents. She knew not everyone loved William as he could be mean, misunderstood. But his youngest daughter had adored him. She'd delighted in making him smile, in laughing with him. The teenager, preparing her departure from Rozania, dug out her nicest black gown and donned it. With eyes still red and tears streaming down her face, Gwyn Buckfort looked at herself in an old mirror. Such pain in her expression as this young girl to became orphaned and homeless in such a small time span. What would she do? Where would she go? 

Initially, Eliza Raven had thought William had gone off to retire with his beloved wife. She'd wished him a happy life, though he had disappeared without a word. They'd been friends for decades, even after he had said he loved her and then cheated on her. Even after he and Arazo had conspired to murder her and failed. Even after... The lady shook her head, wiping her eyes and wrapping an arm about her middle, as though it would keep her from falling apart as her heart ached. Regardless of their past, William had loved her and she'd loved him; though not always romantically, but a deep love of friendship and understanding. She didn't know what to do, now. So many she loved had left her, now... Eliza felt terribly alone and without direction. 

Belladonna would sigh as she read the letter, holding Aster in her lap. "Yer a righ' arse," she mumbles, smiling despite the insult and the tears running down her cheeks. This letter made her realize she missed him more than she thought. They certainly got off on the wrong foot - and danced around on it for a while, too - but he was still the bigg'un she knew the longest. The person she knew the longest. "Oi'll hold on ter t'is for Mellow. For once 'e's 'ome." She carefully folds the letter to put it away, fingers shaking just a bit as she cries more. He isn't what she'd call a model man or anything close to it, but he was still a friend. A part of her family.

Brawly would raise a hand to give his Banner the traditional Rozanian / Sarissan salute, tear filled his eyes as he did so, yet he did not cry out. His hand falls to his side as he picks up the fiddle William had given him all those years ago. Brawly places the bow onto the strings as he moves it back and forth in a melodic fusion. The notes sent forth are woe filled lamentations of a man in mourning. He takes a deep breath as he mounts the words to the refrain "Oh Danny boy, the pipes the pipes are callin'... From glen to glen an' down the mountain side. The Summers gone an' all the roses fallin' Its you, its you must go and I must bide..." The somber tones echo through the streets of The Iron Ugz from an open window leading to the Scath residence. Brawly would choke up on the last verse, yet his voice would rig true through his pain and sadness "... But when ye come, and all the flowers are dying, If I am dead, as dead I well may be, Ya'll comen’ and find the place where Ah am lying an’ kneel an’ say an Avé there fer me. And I shall hear, though soft ya tread ah ’bove meh, an’ all mah grave will warmer, sweeter be, fer ye wil bend and tell me that you love me, and Ah shall sleep en peace ‘til ya com t’ me..." With his last verse, he places his fiddle down at his feet and sits down in font of his banner. He sits any weeps, mourning  the man he had sworn his very life to. 

A grin spread across a certain elven woman's face. "Rot." Hissed out the old Rabbit, recalling much from the past she had disconnected herself from. Alas, Athri Onfroi continued with her day.