[X] Golemancy Activation Spell Addition

Sybbyl0127

This addition is for writing in a new spell which will allow a golemancer of at least T1 to be able to activate a golem core without the use of a Golem Anvil.

This provides an alternative way to create golems that doesn't rely on the knowledge of Thanhic Forging [as even in original golemancy this was not a roadblock that existed, this happened after the new materials system was introduced], or by proxy the possession or access to a Thanhic Forge. As currently, golemancy ends up locked behind this knowledge, with any golemancer who doesn't know thanhic forging being unable to make their golem anvil and unable to create golems. This was originally, not intentional, I just didn't think about the fact that it would happen when I did the golemancy rewrite.

The addition will affect the following:

unknown.png

And if accepted, will change it to: [alongside a small edit to the anvil redlines and core redlines that say things like the golem anvil being required, in order to add mention of this alternate golem anvil]

The Golem Anvil

The dwed of old were capable of astounding feats; caverns hollowed in the blink of an eye, runes which powered cities, and forges hot enough to melt through the earth itself — yet all these paled to the prized creation of the Dwarves; the Golems. It was through the craftiness of Dwedmar that these constructs came into creation. Though only through a particular means, such being the Golem Anvils — anvils constructed of thanhic steel by a Golemancer for the sole purpose of preparing golem cores. An alloyed creation of Thanhium and Steel forged very carefully with a flat top that is wider than average, and square in shape.

In contrast, in the new era magic is a more commonplace and experimental concept. Ever changing, as enthusiastic souls push their abilities to their limits. In the year 50 of the Second Age, a young crazed golemancer who had thirsted for magical knowledge for many of his years, discovered a way to utilize the magic of golemancy itself to mimic the process of activation that normally uses a thanhic golem anvil.

Using one's ability to create sigils, the golemancer would first construct the sigil of Golem Heart. This sigil is only used in this process, and is put into the anvil. Any anvil would do, as long as the sigil is slotted well into it in some fashion. The sigil could even be carved directly into the anvil itself, as long as such is done on a non striking surface to avoid damage. After the sigil is applied to the anvil, utilizing the spell the golemancer will forge the core on the anvil and begin to course their mana & soul essence through said them at the same time. As they do so, the Golem Heart sigil will be activated by the mana and begin to redirect it through the anvil back into the core. This causes the core to chill rapidly, emulating the use of a thanhic anvil near perfectly.

Carving the Sigil

Spoiler

When carving the sigil directly into the anvil, the golemancer will use a hammer and chisel. Doing so takes 2 emotes, and deep concentration is needed to avoid making mistakes in the carving.

When carving an external sigil and slotting it into the anvil itself, the golemancer can carve the sigil on a material of their choice. The process takes 3 emotes in total, 2 emotes of chiselling the sigil very carefully and 1 emote of installing it into the anvil itself. Some form of adhesive is advised, or a way to hold the sigil in the anvil securely.

- Because carving the sigil itself takes concentration, or focus, in order to properly carve out the needed symbols, the carving of the sigil itself cannot be done in combat.

Knowledge of this spell & sigil quickly spread as the dwed chanted his discovery to the masses, it wasn't long until it had reached the ears of most golemancers, the news getting out of hand long before it could be halted by those standing in it's way praising tradition.

- It takes 3 ingots worth of thanhic steel at any forge, or 3 ingots worth of thanhic dust at a thanhic forge [to be alloyed properly].

-The means of creating a Golem Anvil must be learned in-roleplay, from a golemancer with a TA or at an ST run Self-Teach Altar.

-Without a Golem Anvil, Golem Cores cannot be made, unless using the spell of activation as an alternative.

-Golem Anvils have no other function beyond the creation of Golem Cores.

-

- When the spell & sigil are used in place of a golem anvil, the core received is exactly the same as though it were made with the thanhic one, the spell itself having been invented to perfectly replicate the effects of the thanhic steel on the core.

- The activation spell & sigil are common knowledge, and known to all golemancers.

- When a golemancer creates their Golem Anvil with the sigil, an ST signature is still required for the item.

- Golem anvils of any kind, sigil or thanhic, cannot be made in combat.

+1

Although I agree some changes need to be made, I am not a fan of outright dismissing the entire existence of the anvil, that's as old as the magic. Maybe just have a chunk of thanhium needed in a way that doesn't use thanhic steel, or just have it not need Thanhium.

But I'm nonetheless happy to see attention on the lore and fixing some minor problems in it, +1 to that

50 minutes ago, Nooblius said:

Although I agree some changes need to be made, I am not a fan of outright dismissing the entire existence of the anvil, 

+1

Whilst I agree as well, Though for the  idea there should still be use for the golem anvil. Whilst i whole heartingly agree of the spell. Maybe it be used for more Complexed or Magic focused golems. Or Maybe Allow the Anvil to be the means to allow one to craft new Auxillary sigils. Other then those two thoughts, it might be best that instead of the Anvil be thrown away. its an item used for more powerful golem varients/Sigil making. Tl Dr, being a craftingtable for golemancers.

I think its incredibly dumb, actually. The Anvil was an integral part of golemancy, and learning how to thanium smith was just a part of the progression, for a magic which revolves, and has revolved around craftsmanship for literally its entire existance. I think simplifying basic parts of progression which realistically come from just.. Trial and error rp, is dumb and honestly very unimaginative, makes rp just that much simpler for a magic which is already rather primitive.

Inb4 I get downvoted by afk druids 

Given the feedback regarding the use of anvils themselves, I'll take some time to organize the spell in a more aesthetic way that makes it also involve an anvil of some type, to keep the aesthetic of a "golem anvil" going. I'll comment again when it's edited.

However, the thanhium requirement is still going to be removed, as controversial as it may be, I do not enjoy golemancy being locked behind the rare knowledge of Thanhic forging.

If it is any example of how difficult it is to actually learn thanhic forging, since the rewrite for golemancy was written, only 1 person has made their own golem anvil. Everyone else, including several very active golemancers, do not know thanhic forging.

3 hours ago, Sybbyl0127 said:

If it is any example of how difficult it is to actually learn thanhic forging, since the rewrite for golemancy was written, only 1 person has made their own golem anvil. Everyone else, including several very active golemancers, do not know thanhic forging.

Whilst i again think it be interesting to repurpose the anvil to a more interesting use. This bit here i wanna go off in terms against the whole "but thanhium" topic, consider that for a golemancer who would say, have no connections aside from their teacher. Would need  to gather at minimum 6 crystals. (4 for a forge and 1 1/2 for the anvil itself.) If we consider that thanhium nodes get monopolized, camped and looped sometimes, plus the 10+ staff roll. Means it will take litteral months to not only get the crystals, but to make sure you dont get pugsied by 9 dudes/ the occasional frost witch. And if that wasnt enough if they get destroyed they ya outta luck.

In terms on needing to learn thanhium smithing at best i can say about 20, maybe 25 people on lotc would know how to smith thanhium and only say...out of that 4 of them are golemancers. If thanhium was more accessible id say keep it. But with those in play will restrict new golemancers hard, especally if they are new to lotc in general.

So to finish this bootlegged ted talk the anvil could be used for if not more unorthodox golems, of not that then instead be used to create sigils/ runes to put on your golem for abilities. Hence how thanhium can still play a key roll lore wise to the dwarfs but isnt nessisary for the main part of golemancy as a whole which is create the stone bois.

Feel free to critique since i made this at 3 am

11 hours ago, PrinceJose270 said:

Whilst i again think it be interesting to repurpose the anvil to a more interesting use. This bit here i wanna go off in terms against the whole "but thanhium" topic, consider that for a golemancer who would say, have no connections aside from their teacher. Would need  to gather at minimum 6 crystals. (4 for a forge and 1 1/2 for the anvil itself.) If we consider that thanhium nodes get monopolized, camped and looped sometimes, plus the 10+ staff roll. Means it will take litteral months to not only get the crystals, but to make sure you dont get pugsied by 9 dudes/ the occasional frost witch. And if that wasnt enough if they get destroyed they ya outta luck.

In terms on needing to learn thanhium smithing at best i can say about 20, maybe 25 people on lotc would know how to smith thanhium and only say...out of that 4 of them are golemancers. If thanhium was more accessible id say keep it. But with those in play will restrict new golemancers hard, especally if they are new to lotc in general.

So to finish this bootlegged ted talk the anvil could be used for if not more unorthodox golems, of not that then instead be used to create sigils/ runes to put on your golem for abilities. Hence how thanhium can still play a key roll lore wise to the dwarfs but isnt nessisary for the main part of golemancy as a whole which is create the stone bois.

Feel free to critique since i made this at 3 am

Ok. Its roleplay isnt it? Get connections, thats the point of roleplay. You can literally self teach thanium smithing with enough effort, and the purpose isnt just to make 'Stone Bois', its literally a dwarven ART which has spread outside of that community, but should still harken to its roots since its still, very much an art done in a particular way. 

15 hours ago, Sybbyl0127 said:

Given the feedback regarding the use of anvils themselves, I'll take some time to organize the spell in a more aesthetic way that makes it also involve an anvil of some type, to keep the aesthetic of a "golem anvil" going. I'll comment again when it's edited.

However, the thanhium requirement is still going to be removed, as controversial as it may be, I do not enjoy golemancy being locked behind the rare knowledge of Thanhic forging.

As for this, its seems that several very active golemancers, are honestly seeming kinda lazy and wanting a simple way to do a literal ancient art to create giant stone men who are probably some of the most powerful killing machines on lotc to do slice of life golem rp, which is ok, but one shouldnt just be able to shortcut to this end lmfao. Its just stupid for a craftsman magic to remove the being a master craftsman part.  

Overall, Im very disappointed with these sort of responses, and I suppose its just the direction lotc is moving towards. There's no drive to discover the many, really, really cool things, or apply effort - Lets just write lore to make things easier and more accessible. 

The edit to preserve the Anvil aesthetic has been made

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.