Harassment, Hate, and Predators

Treshure

Facts 

There's no issue with saying that you need evidence in order to ban someone for being a pedo. A wrongful convicting is awful.

But also it doesn't take a f*cking FBI rocket scientists to figure out some people are bad. Knowing someone is a creep, and then not going through the steps to rid of them is complacency in the issue. 

3 minutes ago, Abeam said:

Do you think it's possible to do romance-rp with an individual over an extended period of time, let's just say... longer than a month, and not form an emotional attachment OOCly?  I postulate that these romantic emotional attachments over the internet in general are poisonous overall to the culture of the server, and ultimately create more negativity and harm, than they can ever form in posivity and good.  I don't advocate banning romance-rp, but I do advocate stigmatizing it culturally.

Depends on the person, and depends what you mean on emotional attachment. For all the people i usually am friends with irp, i create ooc friendship bonds as well. Whether that could be said for romantic rp and ooc romantic bonds is usually dependent on the people doing said rp. 

I think a lot of people who turn to romance rp are "deprived" of it irl, and while I  agree mostly with your points, I do think stigmatizing romance-rp won't do anything. If anything, it will cause people do it it in private, and under the loom of privacy is where bad things happen.

I appreciate this a lot and thank you for pushing the discussion in such a way that can't be removed (by ways of a YouTube video). This is an issue that I am feeling drawn in making a separate & civil post with my thoughts on this and how I believe another action should be taken that might actually take a considerable amount of pressure off of the moderation staff:

Ban any form of Erotic Roleplay including FTB specific for the purposes of alluding to sexual acts.

For the sake of not cluttering your thread @Treshure, I'll make a separate one. Thank you again for being transparent about your concerns and I share your sentiment and support coming down a lot harder on this behavior and using one's intuition to come down on sexually subversive and harmful behavior.

I had a good conversation in the Dwarf Discord and I actually contend that, even relying on 'need of evidence', there is a way to verify evidence in order to admit it quicker and take swifter action (as opposed to waiting for a 'nail in the coffin'). Simply have victims of "sex pest" behavior record the computers at desktop, go to the Discord.exe, open and record the perusal of logs to demonstrate that said logs aren't "doctored" which seems to be a common retort against admission of Discord evidence.

@BenevolentManaclesyo but like.. i see u looking at the thread…

😬 not talking as much as you usually do 😬

5 minutes ago, latte said:

Depends on the person, and depends what you mean on emotional attachment. For all the people i usually am friends with irp, i create ooc friendship bonds as well. Whether that could be said for romantic rp and ooc romantic bonds is usually dependent on the people doing said rp. 

I think a lot of people who turn to romance rp are "deprived" of it irl, and while I  agree mostly with your points, I do think stigmatizing romance-rp won't do anything. If anything, it will cause people do it it in private, and under the loom of privacy is where bad things happen.

Yeah, it turning into a back-room accepted sort of thing is a fly in the ointment for sure, I don't know if it's possible to do like a series of propaganda videos, made by staff, warning of the dangers of engaging in this behavior, or SOMETHING in general regarding warning folks about how there seems to be a slippery slope when it comes to accepting romance-RP as a normality.  I've been on this server for a decade now, and this issue has been there since day 1, and most likely will continue to always be an issue.  GOD help those caught up in it.

Edit:  By emotional attachment, I mean directly having romantic feelings for the individual, which develop due to the normal human responses to participating in romantic performances.  AKA, you romance-RP with a person on LOTC, over time, is it possible to not form romantic feelings OOCly?  I don't think so.

Edited by Abeam
Further answering a question.

11 minutes ago, Narthok said:

Harassment, Hate & Predation are named into the same category because they are often dismissed under the assumption that it is strictly "in-character", when it frequently is not. Blaming me for "trying to conflate RP actions with IRL beliefs and behaviors" is exactly the sort of behavior this video is trying to address. I'm not advocating for a witch hunt of all RP that doesn't align with IRL values - I'm trying to draw attention to the fact that some folks are not so detached from their characters as they'd like you to think.

I understand where you're coming from. We need to be prudent every step along the way. But calling for moderation can be harmful before the change has even begun.

There should be a separation standard to this server. It's not appropriate for an older player to have outwardly romantic rp with a minor, where to draw the line on that is debatable.

The few relationships i've had in character have been with good friends and the nitty gritty shit was kept to an ooc agreement minimum, I think its playing with fire to allow anything more.

A 20 year old spending significant time alone with a 14 year old should be viewed with the same scrutiny in roleplay/discord as if they were alone together in a park.

It's important to know what liberties need to be curbed in order to keep our community safe. This is a minecraft community, one that has many minors join and play regularly. While it is ideal for people to be innocent until proven guilty with hard evidence, there should be more scrutiny towards those that are suspected with damning evidence for breaking the terms of service. Knowing and not acting on these individuals on our platform is not only irresponsible, but downright criminal. Not only are you damning past victims of any justice that they deserve, but you are damning any present and future victims who are abused, groomed, harassed, etc. by these culprits because you were not proactive enough to remove them when it mattered most. These incidents leave lifelong scars on the victims, both physically and mentally. Sometimes, these traumas even lead others to be affected. If you, as a collective, need at least one more person's life to be ruined just to remove someone from the community who is already well-known for grievous offences, then we need change now.

On a side note, the two dislikes on the video are most curious.

As someone who joined young, it is abhorrent how many predatory people roam around this server.

5 minutes ago, Treshure said:

Harassment, Hate & Predation are named into the same category because they are often dismissed under the assumption that it is strictly "in-character", when it frequently is not. Blaming me for "trying to conflate RP actions with IRL beliefs and behaviors" is exactly the sort of behavior this video is trying to address. I'm not advocating for a witch hunt of all RP that doesn't align with IRL values - I'm trying to draw attention to the fact that some folks are not so detached from their characters as they'd like you to think.

I understand where you're coming from. We need to be prudent every step along the way. But calling for moderation can be harmful before the change has even begun.

Not calling for moderation my comment stated I was skeptical that a sufficiently radical amount of action would occur. I hope Dingo takes a pair of shears to the dark corners of the server.