Harassment, Hate, and Predators

Treshure

just change minimum application age on the server to 18, solves most of the problems

What I hope for LOTC to be: 

1 minute ago, Ryloth said:

just change minimum application age on the server to 18, solves most of the problems

kids will still age themselves up, they wont abide

Just now, MotherLay said:

kids will still age themselves up, they wont abide

ban them for being under the minimum age

It's time to make a legitimate safety team away from the administration with the power to remove players that are dangerous to this community. If it means that some members of our community who are active in the actual REAL WORLD legal system have to step up, so be it.

3 minutes ago, Ryloth said:

And how just are you going to regulate it?

Turning it into an 18+ server won't solve anything. Instead, it bans a large portion of its community, and turns it into an 18+ erotica-ok server. Also, how do you suppose you're going to regulate this age thing? Asking everyone constantly what their age is is ******* creepy as much as it is annoying.

44 minutes ago, Treshure said:

This is meant to stimulate a conversation. Locking or deleting it won't stop that.

Harassment, hate, and grooming is definitely- speaking from my own experiences as well as witnessing countless others (friends and family alike)- one of the biggest problems I find on LOTC; and the worst part is that the most ironic truth- the people who usually preach against grooming or BS behavior are also the biggest instigators/problematic people on the platform. Usually, these people I've seen are usually goons, and don't get me wrong, I love a good joke and two, I myself joke around a lot, but it comes to the point where exposure after exposure joking about some fucked up shit like saying 'Help me this guy is raping me' or 'I'm going to send this woman back to the dark ages;' a lot of them grow very desensitized and that usually is how it is. It comes to the point where I've even witnessed, grown men over eighteen and over, have made sexual jokes to a minor that have expressed that they've been uncomfortable and in return are told to 'take a joke.'

A lot of people are used to staring at a screen with a bunch of moving pixels on it and forget that it's another living being, it's another person behind it, that the person you are speaking to is someone's very young kid or perhaps a very tired adult. I don't believe that a lot of the people stop to think and ask themselves if what they say on a computer is what they would say to the same person IRL.

Would you say "Hit me up when you turn eighteen bby girl" to a 14-year-old you meet on the street.

Would you joke in public as an adult with a minor "Send me those nudes" who quite clearly is still not at the proper age to THINK without the way of hormones interceding with their thought process.

Because it is a real thing that everything that happens, regardless it's behind a screen, sticks with you for ******* life. It's a problem that should be taken more seriously especially with how many times it keeps happenign over and over again.

I'd like to bring up that when people get banned, have a TOS ban or whatever should have it be listed under some sort of forum public record. In some ways, it might bring attraction for more harassment to those players who have been banned, but at the end of the day these people had prior broken the rules, and if it's a TOS ban, it could be far worse. In the system IRL in the US, if you look this up, criminal records of people- regardless if it was a minor felony- is public knowledge and can be easily traced by simply looking up the name of the person. Why do they have this? It's to ensure safety and a secure environment for both workers, family, and to help whoever has them under a contract keep an eye on them. The same could be said for nation owners and discords.

I once had a problem before with a player that was allowed into LOTC who had a 5-year history on another server, a children's server, for major harassment that got to the point they had convinced 3 minors, ranging from the ages of 11-13 yrs old, to hurt themselves, kill themselves, attempted at some point; they'd threaten people around them with images of self harm, that they'd hurt themselves if they didn't get what they want. They'd even send other young minors around them that they favored the most to go after these other kids and harass them if they were slightly pissed at something they'd either say or do. It took them 13-ban appeals before finally getting permanently banned from that children's server, and then were permitted to enter here a few months after they had been banned for harassing another minor. I had brought it up with staff  before it was shrugged up, before bringing it up again after they had began stalking me for them to be banned.

It's mentally wearing, especially when you yourself are the victim, for it to be seemingly brushed off because of the evidence you submit was not good enough and not a nail on the coffin. The only thing that does is reinforce the mentality that no matter what you do, they'll always be on the server and that someone is backing them, and you have less and less people willing to come out.

I hope that sometime in the future, some sort of system is implemented that can let the community be more aware of what goes on; because frankly, I would not recommend any of my friends out of the fear they might experience the same thing others have gone through.

Just now, _Sug said:

It's time to make a legitimate safety team away from the administration with the power to remove players that are dangerous to this community. If it means that some members of our community who are active in the actual REAL WORLD legal system have to step up, so be it.

Allow me to expand as this was written quickly. Even if this kind of stuff isn't reported openly, those who participate in the neglect or action of these aforementioned behaviors, remember there are some of us here who do have connections to federal agencies, we can and will do something about it. Think before you act.

3 minutes ago, Ryloth said:

It's a minecraft roleplay server, if anything there should be an age cap.

1 minute ago, Drunken Mutt said:

It's a minecraft roleplay server, if anything there should be an age cap.

THIS

11 minutes ago, latte said:

Turning it into an 18+ server won't solve anything. Instead, it bans a large portion of its community, and turns it into an 18+ erotica-ok server. Also, how do you suppose you're going to regulate this age thing? Asking everyone constantly what their age is is ******* creepy as much as it is annoying.

I ask people their age no matter what, so I know what kind of things I can or cannot say to anyone. It's a safeguard for me, so I will never  be caught in a scummy situation like the topic of conversation. I don't care if it's creepy or annoying. It covers my ass, which is more important to me than a few uncomfortable moments in a VC or messages on discord. If you refuse to answer, or I get the suspicion that you aren't being truthful, it's safe to say we won't interact anymore. That's just the nature of the beast. If you're over-age, you have to take accountability, and understand the sway you wield over a younger audience. End all, be all. 

11 minutes ago, latte said:

I've seen RP servers ID people and there's thousands of people in those that don't mind. at the very minimum the age allowed should be 16; minecraft or not, minecraft has been around for well over 10 years and a lot of people on this server have played for the full 10. some of the people here have kids, families, etc; imo none of these people should be rping with people as young as 14, let alone 16.

so the hardline solution is an 18 age minimum

1 hour ago, zuziee said:

Thank you.

There's this joke that no woman on lotc hasn't been groomed. Think about that.

#1: this. ^^^ i don’t know if i’ve ever spoken about this topic to a girl or woman who joined lotc as a minor and hasn’t experienced some sort of predatory behavior.

#2: as someone who has experienced this- thank you. 

the person that groomed me was banned with very little solid evidence. that is because the medium they used was snapchat. i recognize now that i am very lucky. 

additionally, the argument that it was “too long ago” to act on is bullshit. i was 14 and terrified. it took me over a year to speak out about what happened to me. and i wasn’t even the one to report it. predators build friendships and trust with their victims and it takes a long ******* time for the guilt of escaping them to fade.

if someone is a known predator- they should be banned. bottom line. they’re not being sent to prison, they’re being banned from a minecraft server where other minors might be targeted if they’re not removed. it is more important to protect children than allow a potentially dangerous adult to continue playing a block game. bottom line

- Miko 💛

(as an addition. making the server 18+ is a step in the wrong direction. it’s never the kid’s fault- it’s the predator. it’s the staff’s responsibility to make lotc a safe place.)

1 minute ago, Ryloth said:

I've seen RP servers ID people and there's thousands of people in those that don't mind. at the very minimum the age allowed should be 16; minecraft or not, minecraft has been around for well over 10 years and a lot of people on this server have played for the full 10. some of the people here have kids, families, etc; imo none of these people should be rping with people as young as 14, let alone 16.

so the hardline solution is an 18 age minimum

Neither Do I , but to an extent on lotc its unavoidable. 

Respectfully, Imo, what you're doing if you make a previous 13+ server 18+ is creates all sorts of new problems, especially with the ct's goal of new player retainment. how are you going to regulate this without a full server reset? How are you going to regulate 200+ players that get on every day? This idea isn't plasable, and imo turns the server into something that allows 18+ stuff. There is a reason why 18+ channels in nation discords are discouraged, no less the whole server.