Harassment, Hate, and Predators

Treshure

3 minutes ago, 1_Language_1 said:

I think I've been lucky as a woman in general. Being raised in a sheltered Christian household gave me the tools that I really needed to be safe cause I knew I could always say 'no', I don't know how to word it. It gave me the awareness at a young age to know kinda when I'm being coerced into that situation. I guess that's what's mostly kept me from being groomed? I don't know how else to really say it. Raising the server's rating would only really encourage more issues of the same nature.. but I think the best method of prevention is diligence and being vigilant. The predator isn't even the adult in all the cases, and that's the scary part. LoTC had a young minor going around manipulating people into that type of crap. I confronted the minor and I said "you can't be doing this, you could get people in trouble and you're not telling them your age" and it was just really really bad, and they refused to change. It was so unnerving to see the minor behaving like a predator towards players and characters younger than themselves.

Yeah raising the rating would only make situations where a minor is being groomed less likely to come forward since they'll also just be banned.

3 hours ago, CorweenieTheJedi said:

what a ******* pathetic response lmao. resign.

There's nothing wrong with him not wanting his real name used, and it's fair to want a moment to think about what to say. This shitstorm happened in the middle of the night. It's 3am for me, and it's still blowing up. 

We need to take care that this doesn't become a witch hunt. 

Means alot, thanks

Don’t blame the victims. We cannot, in good faith, develop and implement clauses against members of the server our staff is obligated to protect and safeguard from perpetrators. At the moment we create an obstacle for the victims, for the sake of predators, we have made an irreversible mistake. It’s time to be held accountable & make a change. 

EdMSyA3XkAcS_f-.thumb.jpg.adf9dcb7ce9ce8f50ee1770cdc2c4ebc.jpg

You made the topic of the video obsolete when you started talking about hate-speech and harassment (Pedos also hide behind rules like these). Furthermore hitting so hard on Joel didn't make it any better. You could also have just banned the guy if you cared so much. But you didn't and now blaming the others for "Needing more evidence" is a dumb reason. But I agree that banning pedos should happen faster. If you send a screen that shows erp/grooming it should be a perma ban without appeal. Also remember a guy being banned for outing a known pedo on the lotc discord.

Also want to add that its not only girls that can get groomed. Saying a boy would look pretty as a girl is also grooming. Also boys are less likely to report this. Since it would make them look weak.

The fact that grooming and predator behavior is so rampant on lotc is because alot of the players here are using lotc as an escape medium. Maybe they don't have alot of friends, get bullied and so on. This is the perfect breeding ground for grooming. It's very easy to manipulate someone that doesn't have friends since they easily accept fake friendship. Fake positivity doesn't help this either. Seeing a minor post a pic of themselves in a public discord with over 200 members saying they are a "femboy ****" is absurd to me. And people reinforcing this behavior by commenting positive comments is appalling. This is perfect breeding grounds for pedos.

Also banning on instinct is a shit solution. When most people here are socially crippled. There should be evidence. This is also very easy to abuse.

What can we do to solve this?

- Perma ban people when there is evidence. Is someone asks a 14 year old for nudes, ban them. No appealing.

- Teach people here that they should not upload selfies or post their social media and there is always someone that doesn't have the best interests for them. Don't use lotc to make real life friends.

- Discourage degenerate behavior. Calling themselves sluts, asking for a mistress/slave and so on.

- Raise the age requirement to 16. Seeing Lotc is a gory place with alot of character abuse. Also I dont think a 13 year old can put their character and ooc aside, seeing most of them as self inserts

- Put Oren and Druids as 18+

To come to an end. Nothing will change.

I really like that treshure was able to make this video. Even though he is a in a wheelchair.

We all know why the guy wasn't banned. Because he raised activity %. Also cant lower the Pedo activity % or else they get evicted.

I think this video had good points, but I really don't think this is a case of intuition vs evidence. I think its a case of how much evidence is enough, really. I'm still finding my own opinion on if kp's a pedo from the logs given, but clearly a creep who should've been removed from the community ages ago. I don't think anyone senses he was a creep until they saw the logs and made their own judgement. That isn't exactly a "gut feeling. "

Honestly, I really think there needs to be more prevention, resources from organizations that specialize in these sort of situations should be included and even mandated in things like applications, for example. If I remember correctly, some of these organizations even offer training on spotting and combating these sorts of child predators, something that maybe admins or anyone whose dealing with these situations should be required to do so. Maybe if they're trained in these sort of situations, they wouldn't exactly need to require "irrefutable evidence" or whatever they believe is enough. You say administration has no true idea what grooming is, but who here actually does?. As far as my interactions with the community is, I think everyone has their own definition. I agree with the opinion, administration isn't doing enough, but not in the sense that they should be banning people without any sort of evidence.

And honestly, this is a more personal opinion, I just don't trust some of the community with the ability to just spread rumors that someone is a pedophile enough till they get banned. If someone can just repeat it again and again till someone they conflict with on this servers get banned, I wouldn't put it past some people.

7 hours ago, zuziee said:

Thank you.

There's this joke that no woman on lotc hasn't been groomed. Think about that.

This right here. Guys always think we exaggerate when we say how awful we got treated on lotc in the past because it was so normalized back then that girls or guys that genderbended (especially those that were gay and underage) should ERP with guys if they wanted important characters like a princess or a queen. 

And because that was so normalized it was easy for things like grooming, harassment and hate to be swept under the rug. And it still is swept under the rug because there is no list of people that were banned for those things or admins not taking the proof given seriously. Along with community protecting leaders that do that stuff. If you know that an important member in a nation's council, royalty or the nation leader itself is a creep, groomer, racist or harasser but you don't take action to remove them... You are protecting them, wether you want to admit it or not. We have all done it at some point because we are afraid to get cast out from the community if we do.

Another thing is that abuse roleplay (especially family abuse) is so normalized, even though it is a very damaging thing to roleplay because character bleed happens. And anyone who tries to deny they sometimes end up "being" their characters are lying if they are doing serious roleplay. It's why actors take classes and therapy to help with character bleed. Because it's a very normal and real life thing that happens to actors.

Things like family abuse roleplay should need ooc consent. You could be doing abuse roleplay to a person that gets beaten by their parents irl without knowing it and really **** the person up because of it...

38 minutes ago, Twodiks said:

And honestly, this is a more personal opinion, I just don't trust some of the community with the ability to just spread rumors that someone is a pedophile enough till they get banned. If someone can just repeat it again and again till someone they conflict with on this servers get banned, I wouldn't put it past some people.

Agreed. KP's removal is good, but I've seen the word pedo (in other cases) thrown around without much regard for its significance. Let this ordeal be a lesson to us all, in many ways.

I've been listening to this on loop for the past hour.

This is so loaded with emotion I don't even know where to begin with my response to this. I'm ashamed to say how ignorant I was of how this kind of culture was happening on the server. You can say I was living under a rock, or just that I've been so focused on the surface of the server that I am quite literally blind to everything else. This genuinely makes me so happy that I'm not part of any staff teams to deal with this fuckery.

That being said, I'm so happy and honestly, pretty emotional, that this is being talked about and being advocated for in such a direct way now knowing how much it hasn't been. I started playing on this server since before I graduated high school, and I cannot imagine being in the position of some young boy or girl coming on here and being accosted by people who are supposed to help build up and sustain a community. I know what it's like to be in a position of little power, and it's scary and it LIVES with you long into your life.

There were traumas in my life, predatory in nature, that I experienced as a child, and I was lucky enough to have adults to go to to help me get through it. It's still hard, it's still a scar, but it's manageable. It hurts so much to tears to know that there are people children who are going or went through the exact same thing, and very literally have few to no people to turn to. No adults to step in and give them a hug and say that everything is going to be okay, no one to just enter in a simple command to remove this person from the platform and take just one ounce of worry away.

At the end of the day, this is a simple website, run by simple civilians who can gate-keep the community (in the good way, not the dickish way) to keep kids safe. I'm an adult playing on a minecraft role playing server, and as an adult I'd like to say that this really is that simple. The people who run this are not the FBI, they're not law enforcement. Taking action to protect your community isn't acting in accordance to the law. They don't have to be the law to ban someone from playing on this server or visiting this website! If anything warrants sending information to proper authorities, then maybe there should be some kind of task team to get information from the person making the complaint, and giving them proper contact information to local authorities to help. It's all just a click away and a short google search to find phone numbers and tip-lines. They just have to be the adults protecting the children who come on here from predators who would take advantage of them! Take the law out of the equation for just a moment, and just ban.

JUST. BAN.

Hate Speech is a slippery slope if the wrong people are defining it. All else mentioned is absolutely crucial to address and confront. 
Thank you for making this video!

11 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

I would've preferred you'd not use my name on this video and just referred to me as ScreamingDingo.

@Treshure  But, thank you for bringing this up. I'll have a proper discussion and deal with this in a day or two, on this post. Just need to formulate a response that is rational.

lol