Mutter Perle [PK Post]

Luisa Klaire Barclay

Born 1760 F.A.

vmCNT5YTZbCWouxHBu7YUK5mmpugQoe7T2tcn5Ky5HmjrtQqDh_S4QdTvWJ9_uaoB80P8AJKWD5i39UV-KRGHV3gHVNf36jE2RbYLD6PVb95hHXrAQ4mTvcfddQrspJxW49ksnpm

A Teenaged Luisa, on the banks of the Reinmaren portion of Lake Jan

The Early Life

Spoiler

Luisa was born as a third child, though came along with the surprise of her twin brother Erich, in the late summer of the year. She was the only daughter of her father, Erwin, in a time when so few girls were born in the family in the first place. Sister to three brothers, the sound of their youth had filled Reinmar’s long summer nights, rauncherous laughter and roughhousing as all children often did.

With the violent death of Karoline, Luisa’s nature became meaningful and quiet. She found solace in books and studies, in her tutoring and in the animals her father kept. She spent most of her childhood and almost into adulthood in Reinmar, developing away from the view of New Reza for fear of the pity she may receive for being the only daughter in a family of soldiers.  It was shy of her eighteenth birthday that she would at last set foot in the city, bookish and politely bubbly. 

The Scyfling War came to a close within mere weeks of her visit to New Reza, the siege laying waste to the streets. The youthful Barclay had been mostly unaware of the issue until her father Erwin was sent away from the walls of the city to seek medical aid. Among the many calls for retreats and the threat of breach, Luisa towed her father to find help, and such was found within the Palace. Erwin was treated and returned to lead his soldiers once more, and so Luisa returned to the clinic. 

Hours later, the teenager would come to find that she and her father had narrowly missed being slaughtered by Bralt the Boar and his shamans when they set the Palace Throne Room ablaze. The horror of war had only then begun to set in for her, with more to come in the years of adulthood.

W6VBNI1-mrEvHDzgFCfwSui3ec7v5gkSHymB1kj8Umoq5onfNlxvw_07rLRXdSe9t5SQQXWmZdyOy0u193Kzi4cp9wJpycfmByODmEoRSfu2JLgaQ7uwpcAsj_DiPfKhchOpQO73

A depiction of Luisa and Ruben during their courtship

Adulthood 

Spoiler

From quiet youth to unwieldy maiden, Luisa grew in her knowledge and understanding of the world. From one pan into another went Haense, from the Scyfling War into the Inferi War, and with it, the world only grew more strange.

Being the middle child and an only daughter, the Barclay grew into the nature and mannerisms she would have for the rest of her life. One most notably was her scornful attitude towards the few courtiers she did receive who were far more interested in arrangements than she’d care for them to be. While her brothers married and had children, Luisa would focus on finding her place among the world so as to follow the Barclay motto.

Brandt was a successful blacksmith, Manfred was the Lord Marshal- and where did that leave Luisa? From her studies and passions came her craft; Jewelsmithing. Delicate and splendid it was. This line of work led to her eventual meeting with Shui Xiao, the Hou-zi who would make her into Haense’s first Housemage.

As she grew from budding mage and minute jewelsmith, a family friend would introduce her to Ruben var Ruthern, encouraging them to try courtship to see if it worked. With days spent together, conversing and studying Housemagery together, the two’s courtship blossomed like the springtime. They spent hours, merely talking about the things they enjoyed, sipping Carrion, and gossiping amongst themselves about the latest in the war.

During their courtship and one of many dates into the woods around Haense, Luisa would earn the familial nickname of Elksbane after swearing she’d never shot straight in her life, only to find her arrow through the skull of an elk. It was mere months later, however, that Ruben was appointed a Marian Knight. While within courtship, Haense would gain its independence, making their next steps into marriage feel unusual despite all of it.

There were talks of matrilineal marriage, so that Ruben might find more peace among his brothers in arms in Reinmar. Negotiations would turn sour, but Luisa did not mind, as she appealed to High Pontiff James II to approve of the marriage, gifting to him one of her first living dolls in gratitude. 

Ruben and Luisa welcomed four children in their lifetime; Wilheim Barclay the Second, Baroness Dame Marie Vryonov, Baroness Adele Ludovar, and Edmund Barclay. Luisa’s legacy would be carried on through her various students in Housemagery and the Edelweiss Diamante, inherited by her youngest daughter. 

Among her most precious creations was the Barbanov Diadem, crafted from the coins of Inferi, a gift bestowed upon her by her brothers Brandt and Manfred after having her transcribe branding in the metal. 

yNugt01k2goXMRQ7WNVKh9lpl8LmHXwgLc_qmXJhN2N3GVFHjgMduoMVycfYfprnjG6s69vLR7eZc3M9YmR40X-A1GqzMfgYJzLFjsR0SWhK4FwooNsEcZnqpOVsY87lXlIr_JSN

A portrait of Luisa Klaire after arriving in Karosgrad

The Passing of Luisa Klaire Barclay

Spoiler

Luisa had spent years in a period of declining health, old age having been unkind to the once fair haired Barclay. Golden curls had long lost their luster, silvered like the first snow on the rooftops of Karosgrad. Her voice had grown soft and her mind ever sharper, with more time spent reading books in the company of her beloved Ruben and their living dolls. 

Luisa’s body had been failing for years. The arthritis in her hands had robbed her of her jewelcrafting and needlepoint, spreading further into her knees and hips, movement no longer an easy task. Nevertheless, the aged Barclay did not trouble her kin with this. She was Luisa Klaire Barclay… and the household had long prospered past her generation. 

Her hands trace a painting in the bedroom she’d slept in for so long, staring longingly at the scene. It was a relic from her birthplace, in Arcas, on the shores of Jan. The rose fields of Reinmar, kissed by the lake and the distant Silver Forest beyond that. Her heart had longed to go home, one day, though this was no longer possible. Almaris was home and the Barclays had thrived here, just as they had in Arcas.

With a failing body and tired heart, Luisa had withdrawn from most of the eyes of the household. She did not wish for them to see her so weakened, not with the passing of Manfred so recently in their home… Yet she knew how close her end was, and more time was spent loving Ruben and the life they’d built together. All the small things were cherished. Every flower was pressed between the pages of her books, every trinket lovingly adored.

Luisa  did not want Ruben to know her health was failing, and so this was the secret she kept from her husband. He presented her a necklace of pearls he’d made for her, having read some of her old books and collected the precious stones himself over the course of many months. Months of trial and error, he’d told her. Just like every precious gift to her, she adored it, her fingers rolling the pearls between them, ingraining with her touch.

She did not remove them that evening, as she laid down to rest beside Ruben. The curse of a mortal life had been rough on the Barclay woman, as it had been on any other of her kin. She laid awake, for seemingly hours, listening to Ruben’s breathing beside her, to his heartbeat, knowing tonight may be the very last time she did.

She thought of her life, how far it’d come, and all that had gone before her. Her fingers wrap tighter to his, her eyes closing as she utters into the sleeping darkness a single phrase. It was time to go, but leaving Ruben was the hardest thing she’d ever have to do. 

“Ich will see you again, soon, Bar.”

When her eyes opened again, all her body’s failures were gone, the pain feeling as if a distant memory. She was home again, reunited with family long gone before.

xkEo06kdx1WAmkQxZFWZuRjcpeWLLz_RDsT1DUe9ap7YPRtnnOs_b_at8ikWdw-ZcURDj8LipDIxJooFdsm9XYlfRPZJf1lLVincAij5XqjK8JVOPDtokTmids65W3Aak9MP5hD3

A portrait of an older Luisa.  

Died 54 S.A.

Various letters would be sent out to Luisa’s remaining family.

Ruben,

Spoiler

To my Bar, I’m sorry, in all truths. I did not want to burden you with the truth that my health was failing all these years. My heart, nor my body, were truly what they once were when we were younger. I did not want to leave before you, but I don’t think I had much choice. It was time to go home, and I’ll be here, waiting for you. Don’t come rushing to join me, though, and please. Stay safe and be at peace, my beloved Ruben. Thank you, for sharing your life with me for all these years, and if given the chance, I'd do it all again. You and the home we built together were my everything.

Perle

Wilheim,

Spoiler

To my firstborn… I am unsure where you've gone, but I know wherever you’ve gone, you’ll have Ser Erwin with you. I imagine you are living up to the name of your great grandfather in ways that I could never accomplish. I am always proud of you, no matter what. If you’ve gotten this letter, and the bird’s found you, it’s likely I’ve gone and passed on. Please live well and kindly, for my sake. I hope your livelihood is vibrant and full of adventure, though it has been much time since we last spoke.

Mutter

Edmund,

Spoiler

To my sweet, starry eyed boy. I’m sorry that I was withdrawn from your life, towards the end of my own. I am sorry for all that I have missed. I did not wish to curse my children with the truth of my own failing health, as I know what it did to your cousins to know their mother was dying right before their own eyes. I know you will live well, you always have. I have a gift for you, and that gift is Faust. Be kind to him, as he has been my constant companion since I was a young lady. I am so proud of you, and all that you have become.

For your daughter, Klaire, there is a small gift I wish to leave in your care; the golden rings your great grandmother gave to me in passing. They had been special made for her and your great grandfather Wilheim by a dwarf named Hekkeas Goldhand. She had once said they were magic, though I am unsure any of that remains... Thank you, for all the things you have done and will do in your life time, Edmund. You will always make me proud.

Mutter

Adela,

Spoiler

My sweet, baby girl. I am sorry, really, for the withdrawn state of being in which I existed after your marriage to Robert. I missed a lot, and will miss even more with my passing… I’m sorry I kept away for so long, my sweet child, but I hope you know I’m very proud of you and all that you have done. Never forget the fateful saying of your grandfather, and his father before him: Wer rastest, der rostet. There is a necklace, called the “Cove’s Treasure” among my things… I want you and your daughters to keep it in your care. Thank you, for all the things you have done and will do in your life time, Adela.

Mutter

Stefan, 

Spoiler

My son in law, with whom I hold much pride for. Thank you, for having made my daughter happy in her lifetime. I would like to, in my passing, to give to you a small, painted music box that I have had since Marie was a small girl. If you could, perhaps, give this to Mariya, it would make me happy to know that it will be loved so dearly by that bright, brilliant youth who is the fire of her mother and all those who came before her. I am sorry, for not being more invovled.

Mutter

To the Barclays,

Spoiler

Hello, I apologize that my passing was less than expected. I have a few requests, in my passing. There was a locket, given to me by Ruben a long time ago, that glows ever so softly. I would like this added to our family’s collection of artifacts, as I have carried it for much of my life. Its story is long unknown to me, but I know it is of intrigue. My second request, and my last one, is that once I am buried or otherwise entombed, please. Plant Reinmaren Roses in my honor in the churchyard.

Luisa Klaire Barclay

Dr. Aestenia Aevaris sends up familiar teal sparks to the sky, from one housemage to another, another stripe of white hair joining as she celebrates Luisa's life.

Ser Reinhardt signed himself after hearing of his great aunt’s passing, his hardened fascade slipped and he shed a tear at her passing. He prayed she would find peace with the family they’ve lost over the years. “Saint Tylos, please help guide Großß Tante Luisa into the Seven skies, Amen”

August Barclay frowned. "Ich hope du make it to the skies, peacefully." He'd murmur, signing the cross upon his chest for the soul of his great-grand aunt.

Adrianna Darkwood reads the letter to the Barclays from her standing position within the courtyard. The Surgeon General wears her black dress and veils once more, signifying the grief she holds within after the recent passing of Manfred disturbed the House. However upon reading the letter of her Great Aunt, another tear falls forth from her seemingly eternal grievous eyes. "Too soon, Tante.." She whispers, lips curling to prevent a sob from spilling forth. 

She didn't know her Great Aunt as much as she wished, however a vague memory of her 14th nameday flickered into her head and she turns from the courtyard to step upstairs, the silks of her dress flying behind her. The woman buries herself in her bedroom, continually signing the Lorraine fretfully in remorse.

"Tante-"

She stutters before closing her tear-filled eyes and leaning forth, secure in the knowledge that Luisa's heart was filled with kindness and hope that the world did not deserve...

"Du were too gutte to us, Tante." 

She sniffles

Edited by CopOwl

From the cold frozen keep of Otistadt, a fat and aging Baron was sitting at his desk when a butler wearing all black arrived at his chamber's. Robert grimaced, as he knew this only meant news of death. As he broke the Barclay seal, he sighed heavily, looking to his wife who was sleeping soundly. He looked up at the sky and asked "I know vyr looking after her and our children, Luisa... My Godani bless vy"

In the heavenly lights of the seven skies, an old figure in clean armor greets Luisa. Next to him is his beloved granddaughter, Marie. The old figure sped up to Luisa with a wide smile. In his final years he was weakened and slow, but in the afterlife, it was as if he was in his prime. Ser Ivan embraced Luisa and simply said to her "Welcome home, dear..."

Stefan Vyronov purses his lips upon receiving the missive before silent tears began to fall for his mother in law and teacher. "Thank vu for all you've done. I promise I will make sure Mariya gets this." he would mutter looking down upon the box. "Vu were the best mutter in law one could ask for" he'd laugh softly to himself, wiping away the tears collecting on his cheeks "See vu again one day."

Brandt Barclay blinks in the seven as he reserves a spot on the forum post before writing the full emote.

Adele Ludovar looked at the letters, reading them both as she sat working on new pieces of jewelry. She had thought they were commissions, but she was fatally wrong. A choked sob escaped her throat, "Mutter- Scheiße Ich should have visited." She dropped her tools, instead going to hold her head as she cried.